Sriram Parasuram

Carnatic Musicians
rajeshnat

Sriram Parasuram

Post by rajeshnat »

A very talented violinist who usually speaks well. I wish he takes up more opportunities as violin accompanist . Candid interview
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 919370.ece

kvchellappa

Re: Sriram Parasuram

Post by kvchellappa »

A lovely interview. His comments on MS are polished, factual and respectful.
Some excerpts that may be discussed:
"My father instilled in me the value of living for the sake of learning and that it'll enrich you."
Something that seems gone in today's education.
"The way to reach hearts is through simple yet popular music, not many would say this, but one needs to accept that."
".. the lyrics start making more sense because of the life experiences, .."
Perhaps this adds value to the discussion on music and sahithyam.
"On stage, there’s a dharma to make the total experience, both for yourself and the listener, seem worthwhile. .. Most of them don't know what's right or wrong, but they come with the trust that he'll give me the quality I trust him to provide. .. That trust is what I've to honour and can't fool him/her. If I do that too, I’ll only be fooling myself."
This relates to the discussion on Suryaprakash's statement. The view echoes Nick.
"Sarangadeva was no less right when he said that a rasika sits in the position of a god through the kelvi gnanam encompasses a wider spectrum of knowledge over time than the artiste himself."
Rasikas.org has many members who have this extensive kelvi gnAnam.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Parivadini lec-dem at 18:45 hrs today:
https://youtu.be/5pX7Fc57fdw
Sriram parasuram on Gaayaka and Vaadhya aspects in classical violin playing with Guru Raghavendra and Harihara Sharma

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Rsachi wrote:Parivadini lec-dem at 18:45 hrs today:
https://youtu.be/5pX7Fc57fdw
Sriram parasuram on Gaayaka and Vaadhya aspects in classical violin playing with Guru Raghavendra and Harihara Sharma
Wonderful lec-dem - factual, persuasive in a non aggressive way, though few points that he raised needs debate to either agree or disagree.i just heard this great presentation by vidwan Sriram Parasuram. Image

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

It was scholarly and crisp. Though he said his voice was under strain, still he sang many pieces. His take on Bhavam was clear, well illustrated and creative. It was new to me that human voice is a reed instrument. His comparing the bow to voice was also new. I have heard his talks on several occasions and he looks to me to be an incarnation of music. His demonstration of what is possible on violin, but not in voice was also interesting. How technical knowledge of swaras is essential for an instrumentalist, emphasises the desirability of a vocalist to learn to play an instrument. Some like Sathya are gifted; I read in Niveditha's write-up how he can pick up the notation from singing and reproduce it on the keyboard even when 6 years old. Sriram's inputs on nuances in 'EllAme sangI tham thAn' are also valuable.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Sriram Parasuram is God's gift to us rasikas. He is highly knowledgeable and a superb violinist. That alone should assure him of a prime place on the concert stage. But he goes beyond and sings both Hindustani and Carnatic! His demonstration of Malhar raga variations on TV were simply brilliant. He can communicate, illustrate and demonstrate in an unmatched way. His lec-dem pretty much laid to rest every doubt one can have about the violin. He also said two things:
1. What is so versatile can also be difficult to play. We know it too well. The mastery of the violin is given only to a few. But the good news is we have so many excellent violinists today.
2. Murphy's Law about lec-dems and how it's rare that one plays at full potential when a demo is on. If that is a yardstick, Sriram must be able to play far better than in that lec-dem which was itself so great!

A masterstroke again by Parivadini Ram.

I feel that such talent and commitment to the art needs much greater appreciation and concert opportunities. My little advice to Sriram - give more violin concerts. Talking and singing can be little sidebars during a performance. But a full time lecdem career is not warranted for such a "performer".

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Rsachi wrote:My little advice to Sriram - give more violin concerts. Talking and singing can be little sidebars during a performance. But a full time lecdem career is not warranted for such a "performer".
Rsachi,
I second you with a little more granularity . He should give more violin accompaniment concerts also. To extend and quote in his own way , even if Goddess Saraswati decides to play violin solo concert , she will not get an opportunity in today's scenario.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Here are three links:

List of You Tube videos featuring Sriram Parasuram

aBiodata PDF file of Sriram Parasuram

The more I listen to Dr.Sriram Parasuram, the more I am amazed by his musical versatility, felicity, conviviality, creative proclivity, and communicative ability.

With his background, such a wide canvas of musicality, and an artistic relevance to a forum like rasikas.org, I am simply amazed that we don't discuss the man and his music much here.

I feel he deserves all the awards, applause and affection the community of musical aesthetes of this world can muster.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Very true. He is self-effacing.
Anuradha said that but for her efforts, he would have continued with only music, to which he has been absolutely devoted. His humility and the way of putting across differing views are remarkable. I wonder whether there is another musician with such fluency in three genres of music and vocal and instrumental, and the ability to talk on music, which requires greater vidwat.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

After 9 episodes of Charukeshi, in which we were busy admiring the lovely locks of a Ravi Varma damsel as she decked it with the best of flowers, we are now made aware by Vid. Sriram Parasuram of the gentle breeze blowing from over the mountains, carrying its sixfold fragrances of exotic beauty... Malayamaruta.
Click on the pic and listen/watch!