Bangalore Venkataram

Carnatic Musicians
Sreeni Rajarao

Bangalore Venkataram

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

(Ref: http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic ... 13&t=27256)

(Rajesh was nice enough to wait for me to open a thread about Vid Bangalore K Venkataram when I mentioned that it has been on my list for a long time to write about Sri Venkataram. Thanks, Rajesh!)

Bangalore Venkataram (Jan 10th 1934 – Oct 18th 2003) was a versatile percussionist, trained by Ghata maestro K S Manjunath. Venkataram also considered Anoor Ramakrishna (Violinist) as his Guru

He was one of the prime movers in the founding of Karnataka Ganakala Parishat (KGKP) in the year 1969. He, along with a few other dedicated musicians/organizers used to conduct the Annual Music Conference of KGKP with great pride and glory.
I cherish memories of attending these conferences in the 1970s

Venkataram’s hard work, dedication and abilities in organizing events are legendary. Another remarkable aspect of his personality was to groom young performers – Flautist B N Suresh’s name comes to mind instantly.

As we all know, there are many concerts available here that feature Sri Venkataram on the Ghata
http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

I would like to share here an audio recording from 1994 that features Sri Venkataram on the mRdanga! (I have a video recording as well from the same time and I plan to share that in the near future)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9NtWt- ... e=youtu.be

On a personal note, I cherish my memories of Sri Venkataram’s visits and interactions with my Father Veena Raja Rao, his respect for my Father and his affection for us kids in the family. I carry the same sentiments towards Smt.Jaya, his wife, herself a prolific performer as a vocalist in the 1970s and 1980s. They were both very supportive to my sister Veena Kinhal and encouraged her to give performances during her visits to Bangalore in the 1980s and 1990s.

I am reproducing here an article from Deccan Herald as I believe this article captures very well the true picture of Bangalore Venkataram’s contributions in the field of music in Karnataka.

Deccan Herald Sunday Nov 2nd 2003

He lived for art
Artistes who place art above their egos belong to a rare breed. Bangalore K Venkataram was one such artiste who worked tirelessly for the upliftment of the art and the artistes points out Charumathi Supraja
Those who breathe for art, pray to die in its arms. But while life is full of choices, there’s no choosing death. It will come suddenly or slowly, just as it pleases. Few are blessed to meet their chosen end. When ghatam maestro, Bangalore K Venkataram, played for an AIR Sangeeth Sammelan concert in Tirunalveli, maybe even he didn’t think he’d meet his end right there, on stage.

It’s typical of Bangalore’s own veteran percussionist to never leave anything incomplete. He played the concert fully before keeping his final appointment. His wife was beside him, wiping his profusely sweating head, when he collapsed. He had packed the ghatam.

Apart from fifty-plus years of stage musicianship and the stream of national and state awards attached to his name, what made Bangalore K Venkataram unique was because he had made music his personal cause. He was the uncrowned leader of the musician’s brigade. He fought for musicians’ rights. He patiently argued and won more space, time, money and respect, for musicians in general and percussionists in particular.

Making his debut in 1946, he accompanied three generations of musicians from Mysore T Chowdiah, Mysore Vasudevacharya, Ariyakkudi Ramanuja Iyengar, Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar, Musiri Subramanya Iyer, M S Subbulakshmi, D K Pattammal, M D Ramanthan, Lagudi Jayaraman, Dr M Balamuralikrishna, Bombay Sisters, Unnikrishnan, S Sashank, R K Padmanabha and many more artistes. Percussion was his first language and his skills were not restricted only to the ghatam. He took percussion to the common man and connoisseur through his innovative programmes like the Laya Lahari ensemble.

http://percussiveartscentre.in/
Bangalore K Venkataram founded the Percussive Arts Centre in 1981, “to celebrate the memory of the legendary Palghat Mani Iyer and to promote awareness of the finer aspects of percussive arts among laymen and scholars.” Through well-planned programmes, newsletters, workshops, paper and award presentations, he achieved his objective. With his vision of art as a homogenous entity, he demanded that percussionists be given equally good payment and concert space. He trained his students in a variety of percussion instruments, while maintaining that being able to ‘say’ a thalam was the first step to playing it right.

To prove that percussion can hold center-stage in a concert, Percussive Arts Centre’s Percussion Ensemble has staged many unique programmes and won much applause. It was Bangalore Venkataram’s keen research and knowledge that resulted in those exquisite performances. As the editor of the Percussive Arts Centre Newsletter, ‘Thaalavaadya’, he shared this knowledge and insight with great numbers, making music very approachable. Many musicians are ace performers. But few have spent all their energy to achieve a higher status for the art.

Mr N S Krishnamurthy, former Station Director, All India Radio, remembers Bangalore Venkataram’s untiring efforts to get an equal time-slot for south-Indian classical music. Grandson of Mysore Vasudevacharya, S Krishnamurthy, emphasises that “Bangalore Venkataram was like a Union-Leader for musicians. He would leave no stone unturned to see that musicians, especially percussionists, were given due payment and facilities. The 75% railway concession for musicians today is a result of his efforts. Even as an organiser, he was excellent. He didn’t just have in-depth knowledge of the subject, he had the capacity to explain and analyse very clearly.”

While veteran musician R K Padmanabha lauds the documentation work that has been done by Venkataram: “The best thing about him was that he knew so much about Government schemes for musicians. He used to meticulously file paper cuttings, do research and get things done. No one can draft or submit proposals quite the way Venkataram used to.” Praising Venkataraman for his frank and straightforward behaviour, he adds, “Whoever the artist, however big or small, if he was invited to a music function, he would be present, even if he did not personally like the person concerned. He was very frank and very sure of what he believed in.

Artists who place art above their egos belong to a rare breed. Rarer are those who work more for art than for their own personal success. Bangalore K Venkataram was one such.

Additional notes:
I would also like to give a reference to this information from nscottrobinson.com

arasi

Re: Bangalore Venkataram

Post by arasi »

Sreeni,
I have heard him play, but didn't know anything about him. Thanks for the thread. Gives us goose bumps to read about an artiste who was a sangIta samUha sEvakA...

varadaraj

Re: Bangalore Venkataram

Post by varadaraj »

He collapsed and died on stage while accompanying Hyderabad Brothers at a Kerala concert