Shri Sankaran Namboodiri

Carnatic Musicians
rrao13

Post by rrao13 »

Heard a few songs of Shri Sankaran Namboodiri. Can any one share more info about this artist.

dundubi

Post by dundubi »

he gave an impressive concert at mylapore fina arts club this season. voice sounded good.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Shri Sankaran Namboodiri is very popular in Kerala and participates in various Tyagaraja utsavam over there. He also now sings in movies. I have attended one of his concerts in Kollam some time 2005 in a temple, very knowledgeable and very interesting personality. He can explain very well many of the Tyagaraja kritis in a way that layman can understand. He also explains why singing in a certain way is important to understand the importance of the lyrics.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sankaran Namboodiri was a child prodigy. If I remember correctly, he was trained by TV Gopalakrishnan and introduced to the Madras audience in the early-mid 1980s. I recall attending an afternoon concert at the Music Academy when he sang to a standing room only crowd that was very excited about hearing the next big sensation. My father and I somehow managed to get seats right behing the artistes on the stage. TVG was sitting behind him keeping talam and TV Vasan played the mridangam. Namboodiri sang a wonderful poorvikalyani followed by satre vilagi nillum pillai (with a cute malayali accent). He was just a little boy and his sruti was quite high: F sharp or G, which is about right for someone that age.

The audience was enthusiastic, but the general consensus was that he should train more and return to the stage when he had a more mature repertoire, more breadth and depth to his music.

I did not hear him for almost 20 years after that and I was always wondering what happened to this prodigy. I heard him a few years ago during the music season and I was pleasantly surprised to see a young man with a deep voice, clear tone and sound diction. I would be more pleased to see him more regularly featured during the december season and over the concert circuit in North America.

mridkid

Post by mridkid »

I heard Mr. Sankaran Namboodiri is visiting again USA this year from july -August. He will be singing in LA on July 11. He will be giving concerts in texas, Atlanta, NJ, NY, Denver, TN etc. A person in atlanta (Rajeev)is arranging his concerts. If anybody is interested I can provide the contact details.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Shankaran Nambhoodri in Denver. In Colorado??? Wow!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Krishna,
You could try and make it and give us a review!

vsn207

Post by vsn207 »

I also heard that he is coming to Houston. Will post the details as soon I get it.

Vivek

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

mridkid wrote:I heard Mr. Sankaran Namboodiri is visiting again USA this year from july -August. He will be singing in LA on July 11. He will be giving concerts in texas, Atlanta, NJ, NY, Denver, TN etc. A person in atlanta (Rajeev)is arranging his concerts. If anybody is interested I can provide the contact details.
mridkid, can you please provide the contact details? Someone I know is keen on seeing if they can arrange his concert in their city in the US.
Please post the details here or email me. Many thanks.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

arasi wrote:Krishna,
You could try and make it and give us a review!
Definitely. But when is he coming here?
Last edited by ksrimech on 04 May 2009, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.

mridkid

Post by mridkid »

Mr. Rajeev Menon is the contact point for Sankaran Namboodiri's concerts.

rajeevmenon@hotmail.com

mridkid

Post by mridkid »

Sankaran Namboothiri was in his full form for the concerts in Austin and Houston texas. He will be singing in Atlanta on 15th august, 16 th kansas, 23rd NJ, 24th in NY. His voice exactly matched KJ Yesudas with KVN's beauty inside. He also sang some krithi's of MDR.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

House concert video clips of Sankaran Namboodiri are on youtube - quite nice!
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUaKUXi7rAU

arasi

Post by arasi »

In all the three clips I saw, his voice is in fine form. His parama purusham in the house concert with just the tambUra accompanying him was also pleasing.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

To those who can understand malayalam, here is an interview

http://video.webindia123.com/interviews ... /index.htm

dundubi1944

Post by dundubi1944 »

arasi wrote:In all the three clips I saw, his voice is in fine form. His parama purusham in the house concert with just the tambUra accompanying him was also pleasing.
when he sang in mylapore fine arts in music season, his voice somewhat resembled jesudas and was very good.

tharunthilak

Post by tharunthilak »

Any idea where is Sankaran Namboodiri now, in Chennai or in Cochin ?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

He usually stays in Cochin, that's where he's settled.

rajeshnat

Re: Shri Sankaran Namboodiri

Post by rajeshnat »

All are photos taken in Isaignani Illayaraja House-Navarathri concert -Oct2018

shankarank

Re: Shri Sankaran Namboodiri

Post by shankarank »

A young time concert - all co-artists - familiar great vidvans , all young captured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgTQCz-vOwA

His voice depth at that age is quite remarkable.