Carnatic Musicians
srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

MLV with Kanyakumari and Krishnamoorthy Rao

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

meena

Post by meena »

Smt. MLV AND film "MANAMAGAL"

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 05:11, edited 1 time in total.

rajagopal

Post by rajagopal »

Vocal support - Charumati Ramachandran
Ghatam - Nagaraja Rao

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Meena
Thank you for those anecdotes..

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

The best Kalyani alapanai I have EVEEEEEERRRRRRR heard....

http://rapidshare.de/files/24789128/MLV1.mp3.html

swamiiyer

Post by swamiiyer »

<--- Edit by moderators: NO REQUESTS FOR EMAILING LINKS PLEASE. ------>

murthyhmg

Post by murthyhmg »

Here is a Madhyamavati Kriti of Shri Purandaradasa.

http://rapidshare.de/files/29001019/MLV ... u.mp3.html

jhnlasik

Post by jhnlasik »

Meena
thanks for starting the thread on MLV amma. BTW Semmangudi Mammas colourful language didn't have much effect on Subbudu, however, similar incident with another musician took SSI all the way to Saidapet court before the judge.

meena

Post by meena »

jhnlasik

this thread was started by srkris,NOT by me, so thanks to him :)

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

jhnlasik, if you have more details about these incidents, please share.

jhnlasik

Post by jhnlasik »

Vocalist- here is the story
" In one of the post-conference meetings, Semmangudi spoke about Balamuralikrishna in a filthy language.The entire proceedings of the above said meeting including the indecent remarks of Semmangudi, got recorded by someone secretly and the tape fell into the hands of Balamurali.

Nobody could expect that a person of Srinivasa Iyer's stature would have used such an indecent language. Balamurali found no other way but to file a defamation suit against Semmangudi to the tune of rupees two lakhs. He felt that Semmangudi's action had damaged his professional career. As usual the case dragged for a considerable time. Semmangudi, in a state of impasse, felt, he could not escape out of the entanglement, for he had already started to repent, as soon as he came to know that the recorded version of his remarks in the meeting was now safe in the hands of the plaintiff.

Some of his friends were appalled and derided him for his rash statements. They offered to mediate and settle the affair. When they approached Balamurali, be bluntly replied that it was not at all fair on the part of such an old and senior musician, to have spoken, in an irresponsible manner, that too in the presence of many and therefore it was only right for the doyen to apologise. Without knowing what to do , Semmangudi, finally, came to Balamurali's house , accompanied by two of his friends.

Balamurali readily consented to withdraw the case provided Semmangudi comes to the court in Saidapet and gives it in writing. Semmangudi had to go to the court and gave an apology written, before the presiding judge who heard the case. The suit was withdrwan. Source:" Splendour of Swaras "An authorised Biography of Balamurali by B.M.Sundaram.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

jhnlasik,

I just wanted to caution you against any unauthentic information. I guess you have read the book and are aware of the facts. But just be aware someone could pull you into unnecessary problems if you are citing controversial information incorrectly.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://rapidshare.de/files/29430421/126 ... a.mp3.html

One of the most beautiful renderings of the national anthem I have heard..

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Very nice!

JAI HIND!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Happy Independence day to all. bhArat mAtA kI jai.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Jai Hind

-Ramakriya

meena

Post by meena »

Deleted
Last edited by meena on 06 May 2008, 04:57, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

gsn

Post by gsn »

Happy Independence Day to all! Jai Hind!

knrh05

Post by knrh05 »

jhnlasik

Post by jhnlasik »

srkris
thanks for the caution- however, the information I provided is from the book I mentioned above. This book was published in India, 1996 ISBN 81-7020-716-9 and still available for sale on amazon.com - To be precise, pages 110,111,112 of the book has the info. Furthermore this is an authorized Biography . However, I will not provide further details on this touchy subject.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Yes, yes, Vandhe Maatharam! Btw, this IS the MLV thread...! :rolleyes: (Admin/Mods, please put Indian Independence Day posts in a separate thread please)

Thanks for the details jhnlasik, and good on you for sourcing your information. I actually thought it might have been an MLV disciple, but in any case, I didn't know about this. Especially considering I remember seeing a pic of BMK accompanying SSI on violin, didn't expect it at all.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

bala747, murthyhmg: MLV was a beneficiary of many songs of the haridasAs of karnATaka through her own mother as well as a haridAsa that visited her family. Wondered whether you could share with us some of these unknown gems.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

M.L.Vasanthakumari & A.Kanyakumari

Radhakrishnan

Post by Radhakrishnan »

16th death anniversary of MLV amma(31st October)
great singer, excellent teacher and a wonderful human being.
fortunate enough to attend some of her concerts which are fresh in memory.
recalling Sudha Raghunathan’s concert at academy in 1990,one and a half months after MLV’s demise.(it was an after noon concert,she was ‘promoted’ to the evening slot next year) it was a packed audience and the late T.T.Vasu remarked this concert would have made MLV proud

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

I want to know what raga is this -
Download Link :
http://www.rogepost.com/n/5736411549

I initially thought it is Gowrimanohari ... but then I am not sure whether I am right !

SR
Last edited by SangithaRasika on 09 Jan 2007, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

Can you post the full or longer part of the AlApana?

It does have shades of gowrimanohari but I cannot tell the ni that clearly (to eliminate kharaharapriya mela/janya). From what I could tell, she touches it very lightly once near beginning, once at end. The latter seems like N2 to me but not sure.

The D2-N3 combo (like) in gowrimanohari would be a clear indicator, but in this section that doesnt occur - or i am missing it)

I am also getting a good whiff of salagabhairavi. RTP in salagabhairavi is rare (but i think done and MLV has done rtps in rare ragas). Pl. post a little bit more of the clip as she climbs to tara shadjam and it should be clearer.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 09 Jan 2007, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

arunk,
Here you go -
http://www.rogepost.com/n/0474082635

Thank you,
SR

arunk

Post by arunk »

it is gowrimanOhari.

Arun

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

Here is a wonderful Bahudaari that I have got hooked onto since yesterday .... Throwing light on the accompaniments will be great !

http://rapidshare.com/files/22035776/Ma ... undari.mp3

Let me know if this is a commercial one, and I can delete it !

Regards,
SR

meena

Post by meena »

Changed moi mind, deleted the articles i had collected and posted here :/
Last edited by meena on 24 Dec 2007, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Nice article. Thanks Meena. Knowing that the same MLV who sang "Aadatha Manamum Undo" (with a beautiful Padmini and MGR on the background) also sang "Ayya sami Aavoji Sami" a la LR Eswari song.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Dear Rasikas
(My posting in rasikapriya-dot-net)

Today is Sangeetha Kalanidhi Dr M.L.Vasanthakumar's birthday.

Let's celebrate with her MA 1966 concert

http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~harihara ... _MAA_1966/

* 01-Viribhoni-Bhairavi.mp3
* 02-Varavallabha-Hamsadhwani.mp3
* 03-Kizhvanam_vellendru-Dhanyasi.mp3
* 04-Ninnu_vina_-_Kalyani.mp3
* 05-Paramapurusham-Lalithapanchamam.mp3
* 06-Kamala_charane-Amrithavarshini.mp3
* 07-Koluvai-Bhairavi.mp3
* 08-Jambupathe-Yamunakalyani.mp3
* 09-RTP-Nattai.mp3
* 10-Paramapavani-Atana.mp3
* 11-Baliyanamake-Baro-Ragamalika.mp3
* 12-Aarupadai_veedamarnda-Ragamalika.mp3
* 13-samagana_and_mangalam.mp3

I hope this concert is not yet uploaded. If yes, let me know and i will do the needful.

My other MLV collections is at
http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~hariharan/MLV/mlv.txt

Please let me know which concerts are not yet uploaded, i will do the needful.

A few words about MLV

As we all know she is prime deciple of great GNB, and is sung in many tamil movies, and many of them are super hit. MLV is known for popularizing rare raagas and purandara dasa devarnamaa. He has sung many RTP is uncommon raagas like Naatai, Revathi, etc, and closely followed GNB bhani, as evident from brigas, sruthi bedam etc.

An annectode about her
Once MLV was touring US or some other country, and some sabha was asking her payment. She seem to have told some thing like 3000. Sabha people were taken aback, and asked for some more time. They arrange for more money, in local currency (USD 3000). MLV was surprised when she received USB 3000, and said she asked for Rs. 3000 only, and promply returned the money back to the organizers!!! What a personality... Many of us would have quitely walked away with the money....

I would request those of you who attended her concerts, or know her personally to write few words about this great artist.

regards
hari

arasi

Post by arasi »

Hari,
A fitting present from you to mark the great woman's birthday who was herself a gift to CM. Her generosity and integrity is reflected in the anecdote you relate. Add to it her immense imagination which no woman in her days displayed, let alone possessed. She loved her art and nothing would please her more than to see happy rasikas...

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

s_hari wrote:Today is Sangeetha Kalanidhi Dr M.L.Vasanthakumar's birthday.

Let's celebrate with her MA 1966 concert
Very kind of you to remember this great vidushi. I always sigh when I hear her smooth brigAs in bAro kr.shNayyA. :)

One correction:
*06-Kamala_charane-Amrithavarshini.mp3
The rAga of this song is amr.ta bEhAg and it was conceived by GNB himself. This is the only composition of his in which he mentions his ShrIvidyA dIksha name.

A request: do you have audio of the madhyamAvati dEvarnAma, "ShivadaruShana..." sung by her? If so, please do share with rasikas here.
Last edited by kmrasika on 03 Jul 2007, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Thanks kmrasika. I have corrected in my upload on AmritaBehag. I will listen to that tonight.

I am more curious to know about his ShriVidya diksha name!! and some background on this

-hari

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I remember an incident few years before which was narrated by a speaker in MFAC where he recollected what Shri ThiruvengAdu Jayaraman told about MLV "When MLV handles rAgas ,she is more like a tiger in the forest crossing a ditch. We all musicians do look back after we cross , but MLV just never looks back".

One incident that I heard from my periappa(who is a big fan of MLV), that MLV Amma gave a concert on the occassion of "World Tamil Day in NewDelhi" starting around 4pm and ending around 9 pm . MLV Amma obliged to suit different rasikas who come and leave at different times.IIRC, On that day my uncle felt he heard the most elaborate alapanai of Mohanam and Madhyamavathi.

manakkalsriram

Post by manakkalsriram »

What S-hari has mentioned about MLV is correct. Last week Mr. Ramabadran of Shanthi Fine arts narrated me an incident about MLV. Mr. Ramabadran has turned eighty now and he had been the organiser of Music triangle, Mumbai for several years. He told me that he had arranged MLV for a remuneration of Rs.500. But MLV came to Mumbai by flight which would have cost her more than the remuneration. So, Mr. Ramabadran wanted to make it as Rs. 1000/ and gave it to her after the concert. To his surprise, MLV refused to take it and asked him to give only the amount of Rs.500 which was promised. Ramabadran told her that she had spent so much and come. She told him never mind you keep another concert of mine and give me the other 500 Rs. 'Keep the money, I will sing' might be the policy of some. But,
'Take back the money, give me only what is promised' seemed to be MLV's policy.
Even in places like kerala where MLV used to sing frequently in temples, I have heard most of the time she used to come empty handed after giving strenuous concerts. She only knew music but she did not know how to pressurise the organisers. Even if you see the long range of disciples she had trained, you can feel the magnanimity
she was having. She was the first lady artist to have adventured into intricate pallavis and the briga type of music.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

manakkalsriram wrote:She was the first lady artist to have adventured into intricate pallavis and the briga type of music.
She was simply the brighA Queen - Queen Vasanthakumari of brighAland.

vinayo

Post by vinayo »

I still remeber a MLV concert I heard at the Saibaba mutt in Mylapore. MLV sang with her mother Smt Lalithangi on the Tanpura. She sand RTP in a raga which I could not identify then. It sounded a mixture of thodi and subhapantuvarali. At the end of the concert I was bold enough to ask her what the raga was? She replied, now I recollect, with such great modesty "Bhavapriya endru solluvar (They call it Bhavapriya").

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

s_hari wrote:Thanks kmrasika. I have corrected in my upload on AmritaBehag. I will listen to that tonight.
Yes, it is a confluence of amr.tavarshiNi and bEhAg, hence the name.
s_hari wrote:I am more curious to know about his ShriVidya diksha name!! and some background on this
I believe GNB received his instruction in the science of ShrIvidyA from TETTiyUr subrahmaNya ShAstrigaL (I read a quote somewhere wherever this man went there was rain pouring - such is the potency of his mantrasiddhi). He conceived his ishTa dEvatA, nAdarUpasundari (you'll find mention of this in some of his songs) and was conferred his initiate name "vimarShanAnanda," of which only once he employs to sign the above-mentioned composition.
Last edited by kmrasika on 04 Jul 2007, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

Oh, great to hear about GNB & His spiritual guru!!

I also heared that once someone came to MLV for Yaachakam, and she didn't have any money with her then... She simply removed her gold chain, and given to that person! What a personality!! Simpliy Amazing...

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

s_hari wrote:Oh, great to hear about GNB & His spiritual guru!!
Now come to think of it, ShrIvidyA initiates happen to be great Carnatic Music composers: MD, jayacAmarAjEndra woDeyAr, kollEgAlam subramaNiam, ogirAla vIrarAghava SharmA etc.
s_hari wrote:once someone came to MLV for Yaachakam
Pardon my ignorance, but what is yAcakam???

You are absolutely right about MLV's magnanimity. She never expected anything significantly out of anyone. She chrished motherly care for her students, probably the main reason they all became very good performers. On the music arena, you probably know she is a very skilled pallavi exponent.

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

kmrasika wrote:kollEgAlam subramaNiam
koLLegAla or koLLEgAl (not koLLEgAlam)
Pardon my ignorance, but what is yAcakam???.
alms?

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

yAcakam is Alms!

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

Who are some of her predominant disciples other than Smt. Sudha Ragunathan, Smt. Charumathi Ramachandran, and Kum. A. Kanyakumari?