AKC Natarajan - Clarinet

Carnatic Musicians
vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

Yesterday I was listening to the interview of Sri AKC Natarajan. On a query by the interviewer about preservation of his style and continuing the tradition, the artist replied - "There is a Government with an exclusive department and funds; so also there sabhas. If anyone feels that my tradition is worth preserving let them take the initiative. I am not interested." (Or words to that effect).
He also mentioned about the new instruments coming into vogue without the kind of effort he had to make in order to get recognition.
I was left wondering as to whether his challenge - about preserving his tradition - has been accepted in the true spirit or whether the saga of clarinet also would end along with AKC.
Can someone throw more light on the subject?

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

would his shishyas not uphold his tradition of playing the clarinet?

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

I wonder why MA is not at all consider him for the title of SK all these years. He is due for this honour by virtue of his experiene, service ,age and expertise handling of a western instrument. He is a vocalist also.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

I too listened to the entire interview. Wanted to post about it actually. It was one of the most touching interviews I have ever listened to. His sincereity and devotion to the art is stupendous. The kind of practice he talks about is amazing. His lamentations about preservation of tradition was really moving.
Sathej
Last edited by Sathej on 05 Jun 2008, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

songtales

Post by songtales »

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

thanjavooran wrote:I wonder why MA is not at all consider him for the title of SK all these years. He is due for this honour by virtue of his experiene, service ,age and expertise handling of a western instrument. He is a vocalist also.
You got your wish fulfilled, thanjavooran!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, it is never too late...

Sanjay's blog carries an interesting piece of writing on AKC.

jhnlasik

Post by jhnlasik »

AKC getting SK this year

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Doordarshan natarajan spoke beutifully about AKC(both natarajan's rocked)in a concert that I attended last week , he made a passing mention about his neelambAri , I just searched the youtube , hear his outstanding play of neelAmbAri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIfhnTKkYOc

does it ever mean always neelAmbari is sleep inducing , it is also more of taking a cold shower. ;)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

nice writeup, has anyone seen the film that is referred in the article .BTW the hindu reporter should have called it as clarinet , not clarionet ;)
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/02/13/stor ... 310400.htm

Shivadasan

Post by Shivadasan »

thanjavooran wrote
"I wonder why MA is not at all consider him for the title of SK all these years. He is due for this honour by virtue of his experiene, service ,age and expertise handling of a western instrument. He is a vocalist also."

AKC's vocal recital is scheduled on 12th November. See Website

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2009/11/07/stor ... 100300.htm

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Sivadasan,
Thanks for the link. Let me point out that his experiment and innovation in handling western instrument led to dispensing the cup and lever arrangement in his instrument. He is playing his instrument like nadhaswaram. KIndly refer post 15 Music Academy Lec dems under the caption of general topic.
Thanjavooran

rajeshnat

Re: AKC Natarajan - Clarinet

Post by rajeshnat »

Nice writeup of this great artist after his padmashri award
https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/ ... 372604.ece