M.N. Kandaswamy Pillai

Carnatic Musicians
gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Excuse me , I do not have any knowledge about MNKandaswami.. will somebody enlighten? gobilalitha

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

M.N.Kandaswamy Pillai was a disciple of Palani M.Subramania Pillai and has served AIR, Chennai as Staff Artiste for many years along with TKG, Vaigal Gnanaskandan, SMSivaprakasam, Coimbatore Ramaswamy Pillai, T.Kesavalu and a host of other musicians. His brother M.N.Ganesha Pillai was a Violinist who accompanied Madurai Somu on many occasions. His another Brother M.N.Nataraja Pillai was a flutist.

M.N.K as he was passionately called by AIR Staff and Kanda by his master and many of his good friends and Mama by his senior and pet disciples was a staunch traditionalist and has accompanied leading vidwans. He has widely travelled in India and aborad on concerts and he was an Asthana Vidwan of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham. He was also awarded the Kalaimamani from the Govt. of Tamil Nadu.

Throughout his career he has accompanied Sangita Kalanidhi Smt.Mani Krishnaswami on many occasions and he was her preferred accompaniment along with T.Kesavalu, who was also one of his very close friends and associates. MNK sir developed a strong sense of laya and he was quite adept in playing for Pallavis and Tiruppugazhs. I have seen many concerts wherein Chengalpattu R.Ranganathan sir used to sing complicated Misra Nadai or Sankeerna Nadai Pallavis and sir used to accompany him for the pallavis and as was the tradition he also used to play trikalam after the pallavi and a short mohara and korvai for the tala. He has deftly accompanied for Paniyin Vinduli, Kadi Modi Vaadadu - Tiruppugazh in chanda Talas and a special mention should be made about the speedier kalapramana accompaniment for Paniyin vinduli in Khanda Jaati druva tala with starting poing after 6 beats.

The best part of his career and philosophy was that he never approached anyone for any obligations including his disciples. this can be narrated on many occasions. He used to conduct Guru Puja of Palani M.Subramania Pillai after his demise 1964. The function used to be conducted in Tyagaraja Sangeeta Vidwat Samajam from morning till evening. In the morning session various musicians used to come and render Tirupugazhs, Devarams and other kritis and many mridangists used to come and participate in the aradhana culminating in the Maha Deeparadhana at 12.00 and followed by a sumptuous lunch for nearly 250 persons. Evening there will be concert by prominent musicians and the whole place will be brimming with musicians and learners and also disciples. For conducting such a function every year he never used to ask any one for any favours and never asked his disciples for any money towards the conduct of a programme of such high calibre. One more important thing, he never received any money for the classes also. I still remember the first day i went and met mama along with my father. When my father enquired what is the fees that he should pay, Mama said i dont take any money from disciples let Balaji come and learn. Such a simple man that he was. He always used to wear Khadi Dresses only and that too in immaculate white.

He was residing in Mayilai Ranganathan Street and he always used to sit near his Guru, Palani M.subramania Pillai for whom he built a small Mani Mandapam in his residence with ornamental lights all around.

His life is one of many sacrifices and he was a perfect example of a faithful follower of strict and austere tradition. Whatever work was left by Palani Subrmania Pillai was continued by MNK sir as he was such a faithful devotee of his guru. whatever done by Palani sir was continued faithfully. Whatever his guru envisioned of his disciple was realised.

Notwithstanding his family circumstances and other professional and official commitments he was a sincere teacher. This is evident from the number of disciples he had.

Among them are Late M.V.Udayashankar, Shriram (son of vidushi Smt.Soundaram Krishnan), K.Arunprakash, myself, Neyveli Venkatesh, Shivashankar Reddy, Krishnamachari, sudhaman and a host of other disciples.

I remember umpteen concerts that he played for Brinda Mukta also with special accompanying technique for Padams and Jaavalis.

Such a great man he died in a road accident in 1995 while returning from Pondicherry.

Shri.Arunprakash, myself and neyveli venkatesh along with other disciples have been organising the Guru Puja function every year since 1996 as a small tribute to a simple giant.

Anything if i remember at a later date i shall write them.

Mannarkoil J.Balaji
Last edited by mridhangam on 16 Jun 2008, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

thanks, balaji

cienu

Post by cienu »

Superb tribute Balaji. Brought out the greatness in your Guru in a wonderful way. Such people are rare indeed..
I was not aware that Shri Kandaswamy Pillai died in a road accident. A sad end to a glorious life.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

A brilliantly timed enquiry, with the anniversary concert and puja only yesterday, and a really fine and informative write-up.

Many thanks; both for the event yesterday and this description, Balaji.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Well written Balaji....Sankaran sir is also a disciple of Sri Pillai, could you please write about the interation of your Guru and Sri Sankaran ?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you Balaji-sir. I appreciate the recent write-up on both of your gurus in this forum.

s_hari

Post by s_hari »

balaji sir - i am very glad to hear about MNK Sir...

-hari

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Dear Members

I have to add to the list of the disciples whom i recollect now. South Africa Rajan padiachi and Siva Padiachi, Muthu (son of MPN Ponnuswamy), Dindugal Angu Vilas Siva, Muthukumar (Tirukogarnam-Pudukkottai-Grandson of Ranganayaki Ammal disciple of Palani one of the very few lady mridangists), One sriram also came from Chrompet and many others who came and went.
Would appreciate if anyone has a few recordings of mama getting uploaded here. I shall also try to find out.
Tku
J.Balaji

sbala

Post by sbala »

Brilliant writeup. I remember seeing a photograph of Shri MNK at Balaji's residence in his practice room. It's wonderful to see the guru-sishya relationship being sustained even in the clutter of modern times.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Please let my dear Sri M Balachandar, representing the lineage in London, be added to the list of his devoted students

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Another student with his guru samarpaNam:

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2008/06/13/stor ... 480200.htm

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

A nice article :)

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

MNK sir is a text book of Mridangam. His style is not completely the "Palani Baani", has some deviations. However, he has got a legion of successful disciples, successful disciples - that is important. He died in a road accident in 1995, if I remember correctly. One of his disciple K S Sudhaman, who was also traveling in the same vehicle had a miraculous escape.
Last edited by raghavt on 05 Nov 2008, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

kannanv

Post by kannanv »

M.N.Kandaswamy Pillai's native place is Ramanathapuram. His wife name is Rajammal Vinayagasundram Pillai. His son Radha Krishan and daughter Rukumani passed away in their childhood. His wife Mrs Rajammal Vinayagasundram was also passed away 1 year before at karaikudi. The relative's of M.N.Kandaswamy Pillai appreciate the contribution of Shri Balaji

Thank you Balaji

M.N.Kandaswamy Pillai's Nephew V.Kannan - Dindigul [ltsdgl@gmail.com]

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

raghavt wrote:MNK sir is a text book of Mridangam. His style is not completely the "Palani Baani", has some deviations.
namasthe !! Can you explain to us where he had some deviations and why u call completely not "Palani Baani" ?
Thank you very much
J.Balaji

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

deleted
Last edited by raghavt on 08 Aug 2009, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Oh!

But what about the rest of us? (No offence, but I feel rather like saying "spoilsport"! ;))

The presence of professional musicians here is to our great advantage, but if people should not feel that it inhibits them. Nor should students or rasikas feel obliged to necessarily agree with them, notwithstanding the weight their experience adds to what they say.

I am (well, lapsed somewhat) a very mere student of one of Kandaswamy Pillai's students. I'm very interested to hear what you have to say about him.

If you are not prepared to serve the food, why did you let us smell the cooking?

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

nick H wrote:
If you are not prepared to serve the food, why did you let us smell the cooking?
Hi... Small chefs don't dare to present their preparations to big and experienced chefs... :) They let alone smell their cooking....

~ Raghav.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

This is a forum. The whole point is discussion.

The whole point, sometimes, is putting something forward and finding out that one is wrong...

But then, nothing is compulsory :)

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

nick H wrote:This is a forum. The whole point is discussion.

The whole point, sometimes, is putting something forward and finding out that one is wrong...
By not explaining the basis of my statement, I am not admitting that I'm wrong. I've my own points to second that statement, and I'm sure many would agree to those points. But, I don't want to share those in this forum; that's all. :)

Neverthless, MNK sir as I mentioned was a text book of Mridangam playing. I was fortunate that I could hear him playing for Smt. Mani Krishnaswamy many times, when I was a kid. Those concerts were simply great....

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

I cannot but laugh at the way raghavt has handled it in an immaturish way. Anyway i m not going to rake up this issue further. I know very well about my guru and how he was a torch bearer of tradition and how he didnt even allow some of the phrases (popular mridangam phrases) to be played in concerts while observing us play. If raghavt is trying to cast a blemish on such a great person as M.N.Kandaswamy Pillai it is his doom i think. You cannot argue with a person who has knowledge. Where ignorance is bliss is folly to be wise. There is a nice saying in Tamil "pAthiram aRindu porul saer" which means that one has to disseminate the knowledge to a discerning person and not to tom-dick- and harry. I am not going to defend my Guru here as it is absolutely unworthy in front of such persons. I feel the sanctity of my Guru will be lost. Having paid tribute to my guru in a lofty manner as detailed above and the services we are rendering (we means the disciples like myself, Arunprakash, Neyveli Venkatesh, and worthy others ) like organising Guru Puja having the Guru close to our hearts is in itself a great tribute. Mere words of appreciation or otherwise will never perturb such great souls.

An earnest appeal to Nick :- Please ignore being provoked sir as some people are there only to provoke without substantiating.

I have humbly requested the member to substantiate earlier and i reiterate here and request him to prove his statements in black and white. Else appropriate recourse might be taken.

Mannarkoil J.Balaji

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Well, he doesn't wish to take this conversation any further, it seems, so provocation on either side seems to be off the menu!

I never took his initial comment (now deleted) to be negative in itself, and still have no idea if it was meant as such.

Anyway, conversation stillborn, and that's an end to it.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

raghavt thought it was wise not to pursue it further in this thread. So let us leave it at that.

Balaji sir, as you correctly said, there is no need to defend your great guru since he does not need defending. This is all about sharing some opinions and thoughts and getting them shaped properly for better appreciation of the music.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Mr.Vasanthakokilam raghavt's intention doesnt seem to be leaving the thread without pursuing. He wanted to start something spicy by giving some thoughtless statements. If he wants to explain we are all ears. If he wants to leave he must revert back.

J.Balaji

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Balaji sir, I fully understand. But that small chef does not feel comfortable challenging the big chef ;) Like in the old ages as depicted in movies, you will have to come in mAruVesham now ( camouflage ) ha...ha... ( hmmm.. duplicate ids are not allowed, so let me not go there :) )

Let us make some lemonade out of this situation. Balaji sir, if it makes sense you can elaborate on Sri. MNK's bANi and its relationship to the palani school. You have already captured the essence of it in your previous posts, you can write more if some thing more needs to be written. Thanks.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Good old saying "Knowledge Speaks Wisdom Listens" so let me listen to all knowledgable people.

~ Raghavt
Last edited by raghavt on 12 Aug 2009, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

This is a waste of space and a distraction from the subject of the thread. Nothing has been disagreed; there has been nothing put forward to disagree with.

My understanding of the post that started all this was that it was a suggestion that MNKP was influenced by others, not just only PSP. That, surely, is true of many musicians; it is not disgrace to take on attributes from more than one school. As such I didn't read it as a criticism or a denigration or a disrespectful comment, and was interested to know more.

Never mind.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

nick H wrote: My understanding of the post that started all this was that it was a suggestion that MNKP was influenced by others, not just only PSP.
Never mind.
Sir, you said it. That was all I meant. And BTW, I am also a student of the same PSP school. (just mentioning this in this context, even though it is not required otherwise). And if you ask me why did I meant like that??? Sir, I do not want to share that here... That's all I said.

Anyways, thanks for your understanding :)

rasaali

Post by rasaali »

To bring the discussion back to the original topic, i.e. Sri MNK one thing that amazed me was how he adapted to the main artiste.

I have not heard too much of him but I had heard him accompany Smt Mani Krishnaswamy a few times where he played a lot of soft mellifluous accompaniment to the songs.

Then I heard him accompany Sri Chengelpet Ranganathan's RTP and he was every bit the kanakku wizard that he needed to be for making it a great concert. The contrast was stunning.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

he was every bit the kanakku wizard that he needed to be for making it a great concert. The contrast was stunning.
That is the real MNK sir. There are other Mridanga vidwans who are known for their mastery in 'kanakkus' In musical parlyes everyone knows that MNK sir is also a master of kanakku and he also could handle any complex stuff put by the main artist with ease. Especially with Singers who are too much into permutations, combinations and arithmatic jugglery, their 'tantrums' do not work with him. He simply deals with it calmly, adeptly.

~ Raghav.
Last edited by raghavt on 18 Aug 2009, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

rasaali

Post by rasaali »

Raghavt,

Just to keep things clean from my end, I was just making an observation about MNK sir's accompaniment from my limited knowledge and observation.

Nothing else about anybody else, be it mrdanga vidwans or main artistes.
Last edited by rasaali on 18 Aug 2009, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Dear rasaali

I've no problem with any observation... every one is free to put their views. Me too... nothing against other great vidwans :)

rajanp

Post by rajanp »

Aum Gurunathar Thunai

I prostrate at the Ltous Feet of my Guru Vidawen M N Kandaswami.
I studied with guru from 1981 to 1984
My father Vella Padiachi and my brother Shiva Padiachi also studied under Guru M N K.

I have guru's entire life bioagraphy written down as i interviewed him in 1983.
I can post if anyone is interested.

I have rare photos of guru from the time when he was a young disciple with his Guru Sri PSP.

He was a divine, humble and a very great soul,I can tell you stories of him that will fill the pages
eternally that he narratated to my brother and me during our years in India as we had a particularly passion about his history and tradition, his family etc etc .His disciples were all treated like his chidren, His Guru Bhakti was immeasurable.He could relate stories from the times of Guru Manpundi Pillai downwards.

I had the unique oppertunity of studying under Sri Chengleput Ranganathan and being with both great gurus was a blessing.

will post more soon

He was divine incarnate

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It would be wonderful if you could publish your writing and pictures on the internet.

My first thought is that a forum, even this one, might not be the best place for such a project... maybe it needs a dedicated site? I don't know, but I do know that, whatever you decide to do, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

rajanp

Post by rajanp »

Aum Gurunathar Thunai

I have over 150 concerts of Guru MNK recorded, LIVE and AIR,
also video concerts.
I was the only student who audio recorded GURU teaching mridangam
from Basics to the four thalams , he also taught me and i wrote down in sanskrit
over 250 korvays. 150 mohras and complex korraipus and nadai work.
He has taught me many pallavis.

I have The Guru Manpundia Pillai Sangeetha Ashram In South Africa
where i teach music for free,Guru MNK approved the start of this Ashram as well.

I can make available the above to anyone interested just pay cost for postage and blank c's thats all.

Guru had a special lesson that he played with the student during special poojas.
Does any of the disciples know it?

I have two full recording of Guru teaching advanced Kanda Chapu and Misra Chapu
I was fortunate to have learnt sankirna chapu from Guru as well as a thani avarthanam in Chanda thalam 10.1/2 aksharams. from Kadi Modi thirupugazh .

Aum

Rajan Padiachi
Last edited by rajanp on 14 Sep 2009, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I can make available the above to anyone interested just pay cost for postage and blank c's thats all.
That is a great offer. I would be really wonderful if all of that was available on the internet for all for free.

rajanp

Post by rajanp »

Aum Gurunathar Thunai

In South Africa Internet costs to upload is very very expensive,
i also need to digitilise all recordings from cassette to CD format,
but i am very willing to release Guru MNK 's music to the world.

Rajan Padiachi
Jhb
South Africa

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

rajanp sir,

You are really lucky to have studied under MNK sir. Please release MNK's Korvais, Mohras and Koraippus. Rest assured that if you share it, you are not sharing with the wrong set of people. Please let me know the cost involved in posting it from SA to India.

Regards,
~ Raghav.
Last edited by raghavt on 16 Sep 2009, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

rajanp

Post by rajanp »

Aum Gurunathar Thunai

I surely share all the time, i teach everything to all students and interested people all the time.
The fundamentals and 4 thalas i have reecorded guru on audio, all korvays morhas and korraipus i have written in sanskrit.Gurus concerts i have over 150 including two videos TV concerts.
Post is not expensive but internet costs is dollars 35 for only 500mb.

AUM

new1

Post by new1 »

It is indeed heartening to hear about such great vidwans who were not only great as artists but also as human beings. It is not surprising that they have inspired and trained students who are equally big hearted and kind. I have read in this forum and elsewhere that both Palani sir as well as his own guru showed enormous respects to their gurus. They seem to have lived by values that appear even strange and rare now. No wonder their music approached divinity itself.

Thanks Sri. Rajan for your posts as well as your offer to share your treasure with others. Kindly share any reminiscences of yourself, your guru as well as PSP in this forum when time permits.

new1

Post by new1 »

On a separate note, raghavt your post is quite rude and there is no need to make statements like ' what is the use?'. Rajan sir has already offered to share it, so it was not required. He is a true gentleman refrained from commenting on your post but I am sure others reading it will feel bad.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

New1... it is always easy to misunderstand the written word. raghavt uses a figure of speech; it is not rude. I certainly did not see anything to feel bad about.

Other artists too are maintaining and teaching the legacy of MNK, PSP, etc, notably to us, of course, our own Balaji, also my own guruji, Balachandar, in London, to name but two. But, if it is possible to publish a major body of this work on the net, that would be a wonderful thing.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

new1 wrote:On a separate note, raghavt your post is quite rude and there is no need to make statements like ' what is the use?'. .
Dear New1, I did not mean to be rude. Maybe I used that loaded word as I got very much excited thinking about all those korvais.... I've removed that line from my post. My apologies if it has hurt anyone. :)

~ Raghav.
Last edited by raghavt on 16 Sep 2009, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

rajanp wrote: Post is not expensive but internet costs is dollars 35 for only 500mb.
Sir, Please let me know the costs invloved in sending all those by post. Maybe you can send a message to me at: raghavendran_t@dell.com and raghavt@hotmail.com

Thanks,

~ Raghav.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

rajanp - that is very generous of you.

rajanp

Post by rajanp »

Aum Gurunathar Thunai.

Dear Sri Nick, i wish i had met you in Chennai in Dec 08 ,I was there, Do you Live in Chennai and where about.
I studied at the same time as Sri Balaji.
My Guru MNK had the ut most devotion and Guru Bhakti towards his guru and he has taught us to maintain traditions, respect humility.
MY family had been close to Guru MNK from 1981 until his passing, he has told us hundreds of great stories about his parampara and of his GURU PSP. i sue to go with him to Pudukottai to conduct the Annual Guru Manpundia Pillai Guru Pooja.When i was with him there in 1983 we met the Grand Child of ( 78 years old ) of Vidwan Mariappa Pillai who was Guru Mnapundia Pillai's own guru . He was a very great man a thavil vidwan , he taught us some korvays as well, Sri M V Udayshanker was with us, SRI MVU was Guru MNK'S chief disciple.
When i was in Chennai in Dec 08 i traced the house of Guru PSP and His father GURU PMP in Palani , thats was a great moment for me because my guru took me there in 1983. I hacve photos of that houses, that house still had mridangam and kanjira sounds in it upto 1983
the owner told us.I advised Sri TrichyShankaran of this , he was very emotional to hear this and was happy also.

New1- Thanks for you kind words- are you musician mail me at rajanpad@nedbank.co.za.
I am tryinh to work out the best possible method to get recordings and writings to India

Aum

Rajan

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yes, I am living in Chennai, though my study has lapsed, I am afraid. Perhaps we can meet when you come here next.

Even though I do not study any longer, I have a strong feeling for this lineage and tradition.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

nick H wrote:Even though I do not study any longer, I have a strong feeling for this lineage and tradition.
Why is that?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I assume you mean the first part!

Really, I have been a music lover that dabbled, rather than a serious student. I was attending classes for ten years; that is enough to make a stage musician out of someone with the requisite basic skills, abilities, and discipline. Probably the last item is my biggest failing, along with a very poor ability at memorising and learning by rote. I was the one, at school, that could not say their multiplication tables, and even had trouble with the order of the alphabet.

As a dabbler, I was wonderfully lucky to have a teacher who accepted my interest without sending me away for not learning the lesson. I was also fantastically lucky to get as much stage experience as I did in London. At the level at which I played, I will not be immodest: I was quite good! The difference between that, though, and the concert stage, especially in Chennai is just enormous.

But this thread... is not about me :D...

Thanks for asking, anyway :)