Smt. T. Rukmini

Carnatic Musicians
Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

I have been a great admirer of Smt. T Rukmini's style of playing violin for many years yet I don't know much about her. I thought of starting a thread on her. If anyone knows any information on this great artiste, please if you can post it here, I would be most grateful.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

I have heard her accompanying all big artists besides giving solo(with disciples). she always enhances the concert . I have always admired her way of giving good reply to spate of Ragamalika swarams coming up post RTP including reversing back in the sequence of Ragas back to Pallavi-especially from technically sound artists of yesteryears like TSK.All her disciples are good.In my opinion, she has not been given due recognition .

arasi

Post by arasi »

Though she has problems with her knees, when she sits on the stage and plays, you hear the same sweet sound of her violin. Her knowledge and ability and her gracious personality are admirable. Yes, anuSaraNai (Going along with the vocalist in a cooperetive way) is her speciality. Who can forget her accompanying MAli!
Yes, I know a few of her students, not all of them. Sumitra Nitin, Sunanda Narayanan and the violinist--vocalist Amruta Murali--all these are feathers on her cap and there are more too...

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

When I had invited for a pancharatnam she called up to tell me she is prepared to come and participate if she could come and sit in a chair and render. great dedication!

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

papanasam Gokul?

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

wonderful artist... She learnt for a while from lalgudi sir?? am not sure. just heard this from a friend of mine.. many recordings of her are available especially of she accompanying dkj sir... that concert at krishna gana sabha which was released commmercially

(the concert contains, nannu vidachi, sree raghuvara aprameya and a thani by uks sir is just awesome ,, special note must be made about her accompanying for "sri mahabalagiri" krithi and her swarams in response to dkj sir are all top class)

Jayashri

Post by Jayashri »

Are there any albums of Smt. T. Rukmini alone to purchase? If so, where?

mahesh_narayan

Post by mahesh_narayan »

After lecturing somebody else, I am digging up an old thread myself:). I was just listening to some recording of Shri DKJ accompanied by Smt T Rukmini, and I was again very impressed with her vidwat. Thought I would open up this thread again with a request to the members to share some audios featuring this great artiste. Her playing has always been top-class in all the recordings I have heard.

rasaali

Post by rasaali »

Smt. Rukmini has also been a fantastic accompanist for Sri TRS among other artistes. She would just shadow him. I have heard some great concerts of this combination.

IIRC, she was trained on the violin by Sri RR Keshavamurthy and Sri Lalgudi and in vocal by Sri SSI.

Some of her other students very accomplished students are Vid Kalpana Venkat (Detroit) and Vid Tara Anand (Boston).

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Smt. Gayathri Girish also learnt from her.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

TR has also accompanied Mali admirably, and there are several of those concerts in mpmohan's folder on Sangeethapriya.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

T.Rukmini probably deserves to be classified among the best of the violinists from the older period. It is true that she has accompanied many (all?) of the golden era singers, and her playing is grace personified.

Maybe she has intentionally shied away from the limelight.

cienu

Post by cienu »

rasaali wrote:

Some of her very accomplished students are Vid Kalpana Venkat (Detroit) and Vid Tara Anand (Boston).
Not to forget Amritha Murali too :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cienu,
She is there in my post# 3.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Oh Arasi! I overlooked that :)
Last edited by cienu on 16 Aug 2009, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Everything you always wanted to know about T.Rukmini but did not know whom to ask?-Where shall I start!!
Personal--Our family has known her for over 50 years and her early forays in Chennai before her marriage(1960) started in the Mid-fifties when she used to trek down from Bangalore. Later on she married my classmate and roommate in Engng. College M.A.Srinivasan- gem of a guy--very supportive and proud(secretly!!,because we used to "rag" him about it!!) of his wife's playing. TR was the lead singer for the OOnjal for my wedding in Coimbatore!!Attended her son's wedding in Chennai a couple of years back--now I realise the above 100 or odd words are more than the readers bargained for or care for!!!
About her Vidwat.

One of the finest,humble,extraordinary artistes I have met-Her playing is rich,subdued(no excesses)--strong in Layam if challenged,otherwise just the right amount of Vyavaharam to put the main performer--be it Flute Mali or any other vocalist--in his/her place(now if and when she sees the note I will have lots to explain when I see her on my next visit--so inquisitive and attentive she is towards comments on her playing--from the students she has coached I could see that she treats them in the only way she knows--soft and not authoritarian!!).

In the early fifties she used to sing Kutcheris and wanted to do both-- her voice would sound like MLV those days. It would be no exaggeration to say that she tamed Mali Sir whenever she accompanied him--example-the concert we arranged for Mali Sir in NY in the Mid-Seventies--Mali sir had migrated to NY and was slowly "detoxifying" himself and despite being physically weak gave an excellent account of himself--Ofcourse TR and Trichy Sankaran ably made it possible!!!

Lastly, Music is her lifeline and she has no interest in hitting the social circuits in Chennai!!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Arasi: What a small world!! Yesterday, I met one of your relatives from D.C. Mr.Srinivasan and learnt from him about you(ofcourse only nice things!!). Also your aunt JS is a bosom friend of my wife(nirmala) and also the BEST music Teacher my daughter has ever had(including the redoubtable MS mami!!).
Mr.Srinivasan and myself spent the better part of the evening going over 60 years of family history(most of it confined to Truivandrum) a dose of native)Tirunelveli) patriotism also helped!!!

By the way,is there any subject that you cannot write on pertaining to Music and Literature!!

I expect to draw a blank from you as response to this query!!!

rasaali

Post by rasaali »

arasi wrote:Cienu,
She is there in my post# 3.
Arasiji,

I was going to point this out too and just saw your post above and whilst reading I suddenly realized this: La Arasi (The Queen) is an anagram of of yours truly's ID. I am honored ma'm :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

RMK and Rasaali,
Wait a minute! While I am flattered by two compliments in a row, I have to confess, and others who know me well on the forum can vouch for this that my knowledge in anything has not such depth and substance.
I am still starry-eyed about all the talent and expertise that abounds here. Not only in music but in what the forumites do as professionals. I have a lot of enthusiasm for things. Would like to learn all I can (which isn't saying much!) in the remaining years of my life (which isn't saying much!).
Rasikas forum has become a valuable learning tool, a gift too to me in that I have made some very special friends here. It is amazing how that one common thing called CM has brought so many people of different ages, backgrounds and countries together! I don't want to be sentimental, but that is the truth. We have a few flare throwings, discords and moments of intolerance every now and then on the forum, but that is all part of it.
I thank you both for your very kind words :)
Last edited by arasi on 17 Aug 2009, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 26 Aug 2009, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.

krvramani

Re:

Post by krvramani »

balusatya wrote:papanasam Gokul?
Dear Sir, Why the folder for "Lalgudi G.Jayaraman" suddenly disappeared from the directory "Vidwans & vidhushis" in the Rasika's forum?

Ragjay

Re: Smt. T. Rukmini

Post by Ragjay »

Sir I think that Lalgudi Jayaraman thread has been moved to the vaggeyakra topic Regards Raghavan

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

An extraordinary vidushi. Hearing few or her recordings when she accompanied Mali, SKR , TRS etc- aurally the experience is nearly Lalgudi Jayaraman
Looks there is a felicitation for her tomorrow 11/27 in Ragasudha.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp ... 698098.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Yesterday 11/27/2016, there was a felicitation function of vidushi T Rukmini in ragasudha hall. I am pretty sure few of the forumites would have attended , can you please report the event .