A Homage Series to the Veena Legend S. Balachander

Carnatic Musicians
mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

I cannot describe in words how much I have been inspired by the genius of Veena S. Balachander. As a homage to my Maanasiga Guru, SB, I have started a series on youtube sharing what little I have been able to learn about his Veena playing - techniques, concepts etc. I have also included the Doordarshan Documentary on him. Here are some links to this series:

Short video clip of SB playing Krishna Nee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRYdQZo_L8A

SB Documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9oMxtJlFY0

More from the homage series - a sample link where I try to demonstrate what I have gathered listening to this legend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ayrabeEmtA

Discussions, feedback, sharing of your experiences with him, his concerts etc would be wonderful.

Kind regards,
Gopal

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

Thank you Gopal for bringing this to our attention....what a towering personality...I can never forget the impression he made on our entire family when he came to our house in Mandavelli...I was 15 then...all of us were absolutely spell bound and speachless...he had come to request my father to seek my anna Easwaran ( then 17) to accompany him to Japan on his tours...His music is devine and he is a man who would be a proud roll model for any aspiring professional ( irrespective of the choice of profession !)

Please keep it coming....regards....Sam

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Balachander...
Sam If he was born in the Wild West , , he would still be a lonley Clint Eastwood kind of Person , .A man whose achievements could be seen better as the swaggering figure diasppears slowly into the sunset.

I attended only one concert of his where he played a Lalith for over 90 minutes and for a week i could not forget that Huge palm which when extended , would cover an unbelievable fraction of the length of the work area.
Highly strung we would all be , in that glorious exploration of an instrument trying to imitate a Voice.
Young as I was , i was left wondering - ' Is he playing like this because he has so many ideas in his mind that his voice cannot bring it out ?'.
Three decades later , I am convinced that my reasoning was right.
A genuis in the truest sense of the word.
Will get back later with some stuff.
Last edited by coolkarni on 18 Jul 2008, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

I am thrilled to hear your responses. I was deeply drawn to his music ever since I was a young boy. I never had a chance to see him play in real life. We have a few LPs of him. I would listen to them over and over and over again. For most parts those LPs are my Gurus. It would have been so useful if I had a chance to actually see him play. His techniques are exacting - truly like a grand architecture: You will need to first imagine the outcome, plan and then practice for adding it to your repertoire. with no visual clues as to how he pulled those fantastic gammakas, the task of following his style was daunting.

I have toiled for years in a blind world with only sounds to help me understand his magnificent playing. SB videos are rare. Till recently, I did not even know there were any available at all. Growing up in Kerala, I did not have a chance to see his Doordarshan program that is so widely acclaimed. So, in this Homage series, I want to share what very little I have been able to reach along his style of playing.

To present or represent SB's Veena, I believe we need new terminologies to describe SB's Veena and music. The term "Gayaki" style is used by many and hence does not have the nuances (or lost its nuances) to describe the dimensions of SB's Veena. Hence, I use the term "Gayaki Intensity" - continuity is just one aspect - The Sa taken at the fret position of Sa is not as "deep" as the Sa pulled from a Dha - which is not as deep as the same Sa pulled from the lower Ma. Depth is closely associated with continuity as well. When a Sa is pulled from Ma (say in Hindolam) we have the opportunity to do phrases with all notes in between Ma and Sa - that gives the intensity that comes more naturally in vocal music.

Take for example the phrase: Ma Dha Ni Sa - in Hindolam. This can be played in many ways:

1) From each fret position
2) Ma-Dha (frtom Ma) and Ni Sa (from frets)
3) Ma-Dha-Ni-Sa (All pulled from Ma)

The continuity for the option 3 is incredible because it also captures the "intensity" dimensions. Please see link below for a demonstration in Hindolam (it is an 8 minute Alapanai I did to show these aspects).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b_AzN39w8k

These videos are unedited - in that I have presented them with mistakes inevitable while experimenting with the SB style. It is a way of life never complete at any point - ever demanding - ever engrossing - ever fresh - ever forever!!

Again - I greatly appreciate all your feedback. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experiences, thoughts and ideas.

Regards,
Gopal

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Sam-Ji and Coolkarni-Ji,

Not having seen the master at play, your words fill me with images that I lost out on when I was a kid. Cool-Ji, your upload of SB's Vakulabaranam was fantastic. I have an audio recording of his 45 Raaga concert which I would love to share with all of you. I will do this over the weekend.

Regards,
Gopal

PS: Does anyone have video of the Doordarshan series that SB gave?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

The video series was aweome - it not only showcased his vidwat, but also his quick wit and humor, as well as his care to not offend anyone on TV (exemplified in the episode featuring the flute, among other instruments).

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

I would like to use this chain to explain some of the exercises one could do to achieve the SB-type gammakas. Start with simple one-space gammaka (I will extend this to N-space gammakas where each space will have a certain note separation). First excercise is: Sa-Ri pulled from Sa:

1) Sa-SudhaRi
2) Sa-Chathur-Ri
3) Sa-ShatsrutiRi

The above covers all possible Ri pulled from Sa.

The next exercise is 2-Spaces Gammakas - Example: Sa-Ri-Ga all pulled from Sa:

We have exactly 6 combinations here each corresponding to the 6 Chakras in the Mela Ragas that represent these ombinations:

Sa-R1-G1 (as in Kannakangi Mela 1)
Sa-R1-G2 (as in Denuka - Mela 9)
Sa-R1-G3 (as in Mayamalavagoulla - Mela 15)

Sa-R2-G2 (as in Karaharapriya - Mela 22)
Sa-R2-G3 (as in Shankarabharanam - Mela 29)

Sa-R3-Ga3 (as in ChallaNaatai - Mela 36)

The above form samples a basic set. If you notice - you will have covered, by symmetries, many of the Pa-Dha-Ni combinations as well. I exploit the inherent symmetries within the Melakartha Raagas to develop this exercise scheme to understand and practice SB's gammaka repertoire.

The lecdem on Gammaka Symmetries can be found here:

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj_WbwvKUJg

Regards,
Gopal

Music

Post by Music »

Gopal,
Just listened to your hindolam. It was absolutely beautiful!

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Thanks Music - I appreciate your feedback. I am thrilled to see the discussions in this forum and thought I would share what little I have learnt along the SB style of playing.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Thanks Coolkarni-Ji - wonderful piece indeed.

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Direct disciples of Shri SB, if you are viewing this, please contribute your experiences - that would be great and valuable.

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Mr. SBS. Raman, Shri SB's son, shared this outstanding Shubhapantuvaralli with me. I got explicit permission to share this with everyone. I am sure you will be moved by this wonderful rendition of Shubhapantuvaralli. This piece would also put every vainika in a state of introspection - "Where are we in relation to this "golden-standards" set by yester-year masters of the Veena - SB, especially!"

http://www.archive.org/details/SB_Shubhapantuvaralli

I will follow this up with the song early next week.

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you mgkumars and Shri SBS Raman :)

What a magnificient Shubhapanturavali. And interspersed with SB's trademark exclamations of "Aandavane" "Ayyo" etc, brought old memories flooding back!
Last edited by cienu on 25 Jul 2008, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Though you would have been a mere child rasikA then!

cienu

Post by cienu »

arasi wrote:Though you would have been a mere child rasikA then!
Ha Ha :lol::lol:

In front of some of the Rasikas in the forum who are veritable Jambavans, I still am a child Rasika Arasi :) !
Last edited by cienu on 26 Jul 2008, 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Just as there are 'young', yet-to-mature rasikAs like me, among the old ones here :)

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

The song in Shubhapantuvaralli - Ennalu, by Saint. Thyagaraja, Taalam - Mishra Chapu:

http://www.archive.org/details/SbShubha ... ishraChapu

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Balachandar revisited-Date:19/09/2008 URL: http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/fr/200 ... 230500.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sunayanaa

Post by sunayanaa »

Dear Gopal,

the right place to have the tributes will be at Tributes page under sangeethapriya.org

Will you be interested to take up the initiative ?

regards

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Dear Sunayanaa - I would love to take the initiative of starting a Tribute series for the Maestro S. Balachander on Sangeethapriya.org.

Please let me know how to begin the process. Thanks.

Gopal

sunayanaa

Post by sunayanaa »

mgkumars wrote:Dear Sunayanaa - I would love to take the initiative of starting a Tribute series for the Maestro S. Balachander on Sangeethapriya.org.

Please let me know how to begin the process. Thanks.

Gopal
Excellent. Please visit http://www.sangeethapriya.org/contactus.html and send a message. One of the administrators will guide you about next steps.

Regards

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

SB's 72 Mela Raga Series by HMV was quite popular and educative.

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

I was hoping direct disciples such as Veenai Jayanthi, Veni Madhavan, et. al. would share their experiences here about their illustrious guru. It would be great if they can share with us how their precious interactions with the Maestro help shape their outlook to music and how the illustrious techniques of SB help them express their own manodharma.

Many Vainikas ask me why one should pull so much? I tell that to achieve the gayaki intensity and high-resolution continuity one should be able to pull a much wider range. Also, it is a common misconception that extensive pulling is an imitation of the SB style - I feel extensive pulling prowess with accuracy is merely a medium to express ones own manodharma - after all, richer ones vocabulary - richer the imagery and more poignant and precise the communication.

Sam Swaminathan

Post by Sam Swaminathan »

MGK...I have been silently listening to all the recordings submitted thus for and crying my heart out as to how much I have missed in the last 35 years being away from my country. SB was a phenomenon and continue to "awe" me even now. As for Mrs Jayanthi, even though she might not have contributed here due to her committments, let me assure, as a person who has come very close to her as a family friend, she has tons of stories to tell about her great Guru. Every time, she opens her mouth to talk, it is always about SB sir this, or SB sir that. The incidents she has narrated to me are some thing......I have no words to express. I can only request Jayenthi to come on to this forum and I will also make a personal request to her.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

vs_manjunath wrote:SB's 72 Mela Raga Series by HMV was quite popular and educative.
Is it still available in the market?

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

R.Parthasarathy-Veena Player.

Sri R.Parthasarathy, son of late sri Raghavan, has learnt Veena from his father.Sri Raghavan and was a disciple of sir S.Balachandar.The Manasika guru of sri Parthasarathy is the legendary S.Balachandar.He was able to play like sri Balachandar to some extent.Parthasarathy was working with the Music director Ilayaraja for more than a decade and an important Veena player in Ilayaraja's troup .Twenty years before he has played in the junior slot in the Music Academy. The music critic sri Subbhudu has reported highly about sri Parthasarathy in the Ananda Vikatan.Because of his busy schedules in the film world
sri Parthasarathy could give only a few concerts in the city sabhas .However he has played a few concerts in the Krishna Gana Sabha between 1985-1990

Video clippings of sri Parthasarathy at Singapore sabha is given in the link below.

http://www.esnips.com/HomeAction.ns

R.Parthasarathy-Veena-Part 1 of 3
R.Parthasarathy-Veena-Part 2 of 3-AVSEQ01
R.Parthasarathy-Veena-Song-Swaras-Vol 3 of 3

S.Nageswaran.

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

I am unable to access the video - could you post on youtube, please.

Thanks very much.
Gopal

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

SRKris, Yes, during my recent trip to India I saw the whole 72 Raagas set available on CD - and the design of the cover is very interesting - Shaped like a Veena

Hope you find it.

Gopal

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Dear sri mgkumars,

I will upload the video in U TUBE shortly .I have problem in uploading .

S.NAGESWARAN

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Thanks very much Shri Nageswaran

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Sri mgkumars,
At last I was able to Upload 1 of 8 Part of the concert of sri R.Parthasarathy Veena in Video format in Rapid share .com . This facilitates viewing of 2 songs in full unlike U Tube where in only truncated 10 minutes of the video can be viewed .
After confirming that you were able to download and view the Video, I will upload the rest of the concert.

The Link: http://rapidshare.com/files/213053130/0 ... 1.mpg.html

S.Nageswaran .

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Mgkumars and other Rasikas,

I have uploaded a Video of Sri R.Parthasarathy playing 2 songs on the Veena ( Part of a concert held at Singapore.) on 19.03.09.

It seems nobody has downloaded the Video and listened to it.

A comment from Rasikas is welcome after listening to the music.

S.Nageswaran

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Dear Shri Nageswaran,

I am delighted to see that you have uploaded the video file. I have not logged into Rasikas for a while. I am downloading now and will share with you my thoughts. Thanks so much for your efforts and I regret not loging in sooner.

Best regards,
Gopal

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Regarding Shri Parthasarathy - What an astounding talent - I am thrilled to have this video. His remarkable gammakas in Saveri - ranging up to Dha from Sa are breath-taking. Thanks Shri Nageswaran for sharing this gem.

Do you know where Shri Parthasarathy now resides?

Thanks so much,
Kind regards,
Gopal

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Mr.mgkumars,

I had a difficult task of uploading the Video of Sri R.Parthasarathy initially. Being new to the uploading, I have tried the various sites VIZ esnips, U Tube, Rapid Share etc. In the first attempt some how I was able to upload in
esnips but I have selected "Private "and also given the wrong website URL because of which you were not able to download . When I tried U TUBE, the time limit of 7 minutes and I could not upload the full song and had to break up to 2 or 3 uploads.
Finally I was able to upload the first 2 songs of the concert successfully and gave the correct URL also through Rapid Share. I was in great suspense to get the feedback from you that you were able to download the Video and listened the songs.
Since there was no response from you or other Rasikas I have posted the last letter.

I am happy that you were able to down load and see the Video and listened to the music.

The whole of the concert is excellent and the Hindolam Raga Alapana (yet to be uploaded) is out of the world. I am of the firm opinion that Sri R.Parthasarathy follows S.Balachander’s Bhani.

Since the uploading of the full Video is time consuming I am thinking as to how the Audio portion only can be ripped, converted to mp3. And uploaded. Video is in EMPEG Format. Can you suggest a way to rip the Audio.

Please wait.

S.Nageswaran.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Sri mgkumars,

Sri Parthasarathy is residing at Ajit Nagar, West Mambalam, near Raghavendra Kalyana Mandapam.
You may contact me by phone No. 2474 55 44 OR Mobile No.98406 26385.

I am also residing in West Mambalam.

S.Nageswaran.

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Dear Shri Nageswaran,

Thanks so much for your kind reply. I will call you over the weekend to get more info on Shri Parthasarathy. Undoudbtedly he derives inspiration from SB.

It would have been so nice if he could have attended my concert with Shri S. Balachander's grandson, Shri Bharadwaj held at Shri S. Balachander's house earlier this year with invitation to top musicians of the day. Here is the review from the Hindu:

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/01/23/stor ... 481000.htm

I can't wait to hear Shri Parthasarathy's Hindolam. Unfortunately I don't know anything about ripping files - sorry :(

Best regards,
Gopal

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Sri mgkumars,

I am happy to note the deep interest you have shown in listening to the Savery Varnam played by Sri R.Parthasarathy. The glide of the note from the ’SA"

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Sri Naheswaran,

Thanks for uploading Sri G. S. Mani's demo.

The spectacular aspect of Sri Parthasarathy sangathi from Sa to Dha (on the upper sthayi) is that he pulls the whole prayoga from Sa. This is no trivial matter - in fact, every other musician - even direct students of SB will use the less strenuous, less taxing and less appealing way of visiting more notes and with appropriate local gammakas.

To preempt questions from other Vainikas on why pull from Sa, the simple answer is this:

The continuity and closeness to vocal sangathi here with a pull from Sa is in a league of its own - the intensity of the sangathi cannot be matched by the easier and thus commonly used fret-location-visiting local gammakas.

Waiting eagerly for Sri Parthasarathy's Hindolm.

Thanks,
Gopal

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

All,

Since this thread is dedicated to Veena S. Balachander and his style of playing, it would be most appropriate to introduce the remarkable Veena playing of Veena S. Balachander's grandson, Shri Bharadwaj Raman. Please view his videos at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/baradu2

Regards,
Gopal

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

sri mgkumars,

The download links of Parthasarathy Veena is given below.

tmlhttp://rapidshare.com/files/217107329/02-R_Partha_Sarathy-Veena-Vol_2_of_8_-AVSEQ01.mpg.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/213207390/0 ... EQ01.mpg.h

http://rapidshare.com/files/213509535/0 ... 1.mpg.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/46346254/05- ... 1.mpg.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/213903408/0 ... 1.mpg.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/213977083/0 ... 1.mpg.html

Download-Link #1: http://rapidshare.de/files/46382225/08- ... 1.mpg.html

Confirm downloading and listening to the concert.

S.NAGESWARAN.

uu

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Spectacular Hindolam - What imagination, what talent - what expertise? How come this talent was hidden from main-stream carnatic circle!! - He would be such a vital force in redefining the standards of Veena playing after the legendary S. Balachander.

Sadly, what exists today is the easy-way - with well rehearsed perfection.

Thanks for sharing these jewels. May I post this in my Veena series on youtube. Thanks

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I often pass by downloads, especially large ones.

I've jumped in at part 3, and am now being entranced by the alap at the end of that volume.

Yes, smaller audio files would be great!

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

I must have see Shri Parthasarathy's Hindolam more than a dozen times. Spellbound each time!!!

Shri Parthasarathy is indeed blessed by the Great spirit of SB.

That said, I have to turn my attention to the institution of Carnatic music and Carnatic Vainikas who have heard Shri Parthasarathy's veena in particular; yet did nothing to make the world see and hear such wonderful music from him. How come such great talent has been kept away from the main-stream carnatic concerts? Is there such lack of conscience in this whole institution to allow for such a blatant omission? Perhaps the same forces that denied SB the Sangeetha Kalanidhi are in play here?

It almost seems that there are strong forces effacing the memories, music and wonderful techniques of SB. The few living stalwarts such as Shri Parthasarathy have been successfully pushed into obscurity by the mainstream carnatic field. I see no student of SB come forth and share their wonderful experience with the master - at least to inspire more to take up the challenging style. A shishya has that minimum responsibility, I would think.

I am thrilled to know that such a man as Shri Parthasarathy lives among us.

SB took up the Veena alone and mastered it with no systematic help. SB took the Veena to great new heights - almost unsurpassable heights - unparalleled in the past, and likely to be in the future as well. It almost looks like the torch of his style, his spirit and his courage will be carried by a rare few who attempt and venture to walk the thorny and yet extremely fulfilling path.

In relation to the SB spirit of music and Veena, it is comforting to note there are still a few who bear the torch and spirit with fortitude and indefatigable zest to wade through the oppressing and opposing forces. In this small group of people are Shri Parthasarathy, Shri Bharadwaj (SB's grandson) and Professor Jayaram Muthuswami - another unknown doyen in the world of music who walks this brave path.

This message is also to call out to those who are out there to join hands - to those who have toiled to experience this style, this way of life - those who understand the frustrations, sweat and blood of the struggle and who have also experienced the moments of bliss when a certain prayoga jumps out of the mundane normalcy and ordinary to expresses a singular beauty of truth - unheard, untouched and unseen before.
Last edited by mgkumars on 05 Apr 2009, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 28 Nov 2009, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.

mgkumars

Post by mgkumars »

Coolkarni-Ji,

What you say is very true. But, with the internet now we have new ways of circumventing some of these hurdles. The mode of reaching the public has also changed immensely with the burst of the internet. Now, unlike the past, we can reach the public, reason with them and negotiate with them directly. While the main conventional channels are ridden with these artifacts and noisy traffic, we still have the tools and wherewithal to circumvent them and reach directly into the musical hearts of the public. Sometimes, true greatness is hard to fathom unless that greatness is held up against the curtain of common practices and in-vogue standards. We need to juxtapose that greatness with what people are lead to believe as golden standards. In many ways, I hope that creating a repository of all Vainikas in one place will help the discerning connoisseur understand the special dimensions of the truly great ones. Hence, my SB homage series in youtube showcases most Vainikas of the day (at least all that I could locate); in the process of making this information available, I hope the greatness and talent of lesser known masters will shine through the haze and smoke of fads, fancies and misconceptions.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 28 Nov 2009, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.

S.NAGESWARAN

Post by S.NAGESWARAN »

Sri mgkumars,

With reference to your post N0. 45, I have a reply.

The saddest part of the present scenario .There is an association of vainikas and have an Annual meet at Chennai for the past 3 or 4 years. Living in the Cultural city of Chennai, Sri Parthasarathy was not invited even once to this Annual meet I am unable to understand the purpose of the Annual meet of the vainikas if they are not able to know the existence of Sri Parthasarathy at all or trying to avoid calling him for the Annual meet for reasons best known to them.
Last year there was a concert series conducted at Krishna Gana Sabha Under the caption "Guru Shisya concerts"

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

So artists like these walking on the middle of the road , have been hit by traffic, both ways.
What a wonderful analogy!

I am very much looking forward to the veena series.