List out couples who both are performing artists-CM

Carnatic Musicians
balusatya

Post by balusatya »

Sirkazhi Sri Jayaraman( Kalaimamani Elect)-Vocal,Mrs Shanti ? Jayaraman-wife-singer in a popular dance troupe,Skanda subramaniam-Mridangam-Son.

koyaliya

Post by koyaliya »

my head is reeling after these 5 pages! please, mr.balusatya, if you have collated the data, can you edit your first post with a concise list of all this information? also, can anyone tell me who 'SRGBM' is?

here are a few more for this thread:
sreemathi brahmanandam - lgj's sister
anil srinivasan (piano) - tm krishna's cousin
there was also a mridangam prodigy some years ago related to i. sivakumar/dkp. i do not remember his name at the moment.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Dandamudi Ram Mohan Rao and his disciple/wife Dandamudi Sumathi are both mrudangam artistes who belong to the Palani school.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Sukumar Prasad (credited with introducing the electric guitar into Carnatic music) and his sister (violin) and brother (ghatam). Sukumar is the nephew of violin maestro M. Chandrasekhar.
Last edited by mohan on 28 Apr 2009, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.

balusatya

Post by balusatya »

koyaliya wrote:my head is reeling after these 5 pages! please, mr.balusatya, if you have collated the data, can you edit your first post with a concise list of all this information? also, can anyone tell me who 'SRGBM' is?

here are a few more for this thread:
sreemathi brahmanandam - lgj's sister
anil srinivasan (piano) - tm krishna's cousin
there was also a mridangam prodigy some years ago related to i. sivakumar/dkp. i do not remember his name at the moment.
I will start after the list becomes exhaustive with maximum inclusion.

koyaliya

Post by koyaliya »

balusatya wrote: I will start after the list becomes exhaustive with maximum inclusion.
thank you. i can imagine it being a mammoth task in the end - a veritable multi-dimensional web of musicians with arrows pointing here and there and everywhere.

i know this thread is about performing artists, but i feel compelled to mention that Bombay Sisters have an elder sister - Sethu Mahadevan - who has been teaching music for decades. Her repertoire is expansive and she has set to tune many of the songs that her sisters perform.

sama

Post by sama »

Bombay Sisters have another sister - Savithri Ramanand who is also a performer.

sama

Post by sama »

We can also add to the list Gayathri Girish whose BIL is violinist Sanjeev

cpblog

Re: List out couples who both are performing artists-CM

Post by cpblog »

Dear Rasikas,

We welcome you all to a 1976 Concert by the Sikkil Sisters
in "Parvathi", Mysore.

Accompanying them are
Mysore Nagaraj -------------- Violin
Tanjore Upendran ------------ Mridangam
M.A. Krishnamurthy -------- Ghatam

Please welcome to http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/

Thanking you.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Sri TNS and Sri TNS Krishna
Sri V P and Smt Shanta Dhananjayan in Natya, as also Sri Raja Reddy and his wife in Natya.
K V Chellappa

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Nithyashree Mahadevan singing with mother Lalitha Sivaraman and father Sivaraman playing the Mridangam. Need a violinist!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Re:Post#111--It should be Lalitha Sivakumar and Father Sivakumar(son of DKP)

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

M/s Lalitha and Nandini Muthuswamy (granddaughters of Mr. Lakshminarayanan) are playing violin together.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

kvchellappa wrote:M/s Lalitha and Nandini Muthuswamy (granddaughters of Mr. Lakshminarayanan) are playing violin together.
Aren't they the nieces of Dr. L. Subramaniam?

mohan

Post by mohan »

Yes they are nieces of Dr L Subramaniam and granddaughters of the late V. Lakshminarayana Iyer. See http://www.lalithanandini.com/

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.carnaticcorner.com/about.html
And how about this couple ? Pioneers in many ways .

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Yep - they are our very own Mohan and his wife

ardentcmlover1

Post by ardentcmlover1 »

shadjam wrote: ...
Pantula Rama and MSN Murthy (Wife and Husband)
An interesting thing here is the versatility and switching of roles - vocal<-->Volin or violin duo etc.
As many of us know, both Rama and Murthy are graded "Top Rank" by AIR for their Vocal and Violin respectively apart from being A grade in other areas like Violin/Viola.

Here is an interesting article in the hindu:

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article68563.ece

It has been a while since I visited/posted here...pls excuse if there are any unintended mistakes.

mohan

Post by mohan »

varsha wrote: And how about this couple ?
Just saw your post now!
Sangeetha and I are more in the amatuer category compared to most of the couples listed here!

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

*Nice going indeed to a thread I had the privilege of starting.
*Now comes to my mind.Kallidaikurichi Mahadeva Bhagavathar (an authority on MD -SKA Chingleput Ranganathan used to tell about him)&his son violinist?(dis of TNK?) and his wife (who has given a cassette on Nilothpala kritis of Dikshidhar in 9 types of Gowlai taught by the former).

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

Raghava Krishna is the son of veteran violin vidwan Sri V V Ravi. Born in 1987, he started learning vocal music from his mother Visalam Ravi. He is now under the tutelage of vidwan Sri P S Narayanaswamy. He is studying in Sir Sivaswamy Kalalya, Chennai, India.
He is a recipient of several laurels in his musical career. He has participated in the music competitions conducted by very popular Sabhas like Music Academy. A Gold medallist in the TAG Music competitions, he has been the winner of the first prize in a lot of inter-school music competitions.

He is not only a good student of music but a good painter too. He is a participant in competitions conducted by Indian Vegetarian congress, Tamilnadu Forest Department, The Kennel Club of India, Camel Ltd., and various other competitions at the school level.

Raghava Krishna has participated in the Children's programs at All India Radio, Chennai. He was awarded the First prize in the Junior Level. He also walked away with the First prize in the popular programme 'Saptaswarangal' conducted by Sun TV. He was interviewed in the Malayalam network Surya TV in the programme titled 'Pookkooda'. This little's stars talent was recognised when he was recently given an opportunity to sing for a Malayalam Film 'Saranam Ayyappa'.

He has given solo vocal concerts in Sabhas like Astika Samajam, VDS Arts Academy, Sivalaya, Panchamukha Anjaneya Temple and so on.

His recent participation and final selection by the experts committee of 'Sing a song at Singapore' competitions is yet another jewel added to his crown of glory. He shows keen interest in giving voice dubbing and well-coinciding with his interest, he is today a dubbing artiste giving voice for television serials and Ad films.

pvs

Post by pvs »

Does Madurai Pushpavanam, Madurai Ramaswamy Iyer > Madurai Mani Iyer > TS Vembu Iyer > TV Sankaranarayanan > Sankara Mahadevan, Amrutha Sankaranarayanan count?

Also Chembai Vaidhyanatha Bhagavathar and Sri Chembai Subramanyan?

harimau

Post by harimau »

This list is getting way too long.

An apt conclusion would be that for every female artist, her husband plays the "jaalra"!