Srirangam Gopalaratnam

Carnatic Musicians
mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

She has always been one of my favourite carnatic vocalists. I am posting some good links that I came across on the net. I have a few concerts (non-commercial, I think) of Smt. Srirangam Gopalaratnam that I need to convert from tapes but will post those as soon as possible.

annamAchArya compositions
http://surasa.net/music/annamayya/

Concert
http://surasa.net/music/karnatak/#srirangam

I think there was another concert available at "sangeethapriya.org" but I cannot find it any longer.

The profile of this artist as posted on "saigan.com"

A multi-faceted vocalist who enjoyed a melodious voice, Gopalaratnam distinguished herself in the exposition of Kuchipudi, Yakshagana, Javali and Yenki Patalu (a rare variety of Andhra). She had taken active part in the Bhakthi Ranjani programmes of All India Radio. Had set to tune Annamacharya compositions. She has held posts as Artiste, All India Radio, Principal-Government Music College, Hyderabad, Professor & Dean - Telugu University (Faculty of Music)

Gopalaratnam enjoyed many 'firsts' to her credit such as -

a. being honoured with the Presidential title 'Padma Sri'
b. acting as Principal, Government College of Music & Dance, Hyderabad and as professor and Dean of the Faculty of Music, Telugu University
c. being made Asthana Vidushi, Tirumalai Tirupati Devasthanams.

A child prodigy, she gave Harikathas also. Daughter of Varadachari and Subhadramma, she was born at Pushpagiri in Vizianagaram taluk and underwent training in music under Kavirayaneri Joga Rao, a vainika and Dr. S. Pinakapani. She came of a family belonging to Srirangam and had taken a diploma in music in 1956.

Title
Madhura Gayaki

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

http://rapidshare.de/files/22411408/01- ... r.mp3.html

Will post more if there are some takers.

The initial set of tracks will be in the company of Dwaram Mangathayaru.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thank you Sri Kulkarni

kiransurya

Post by kiransurya »

Coolkarni
Please count me in. I am an ardent fan of Smt Gopalaratnam.
I like her Nallani meni nagavu choopulavaadu-Poorvikalyani-Annamaacharya

Thanks for the clips

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Can someone post a brief bio of this wonderful singer? Meena: I did google, but vould not find anything relevant. Of course, I am not in your league..
Ravi

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

You must listen to this.

oka pilupulO pilichitE palukutavaTa

http://file.uploadr.com/7609

This recording is from a concert but it seems this was originally sung by Srirangam Gopalaratnam for the film "srI venkaTEswara vaibhavam"

meena

Post by meena »

shankar

on bboard -ran a thread on vocalist from AP, Smt gopalaratnam name was mentiond i do not know if her bio/info was also posted, i shall look up this eve.

Maybe VK can help.

meena

Post by meena »

no info i could find on bboard, just her name was mentioned.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Srirangam Gopalaratnam: born c 1939-March 16, 1993

A multi faceted vocalist who enjoyed a melodious voice, Gopalaratnam distinguished herself in the exposition of Kuchipudi, Yakshagana, Javali and Yenki Patalu (a rare variety in Andhra). She had taken active part in the Bhakti Ranjani programmes of All India Radio. Had set to tune some Annamacharya compositions.
Posts held: Artist, All India Radio, Principal, Government Music College, Hyderabad. Professor and dean, Telugu University faculty of music.

Gopalaratnam enjoyed many ‘firsts’ to her credit such as:-
A: being honoured with the presidential title Padma Shri
B: acting as Principal, Government College of Music and Dance, Hyderabad and as dean of faculty of music at Telugu University and
C: being made Astana vidushi, Tirumalai Tirupati Devasthanas.
A child prodigy, she gave harikathas also. Daughter of Varadachari and Subhadramma, she was born at Pushpagiri in Vizainagaram taluk and underwent training in music under Kavirayaneri Joga Rao, a vainika and Dr.S.Pinakapani. She came from a family belonging to Srirangam and had taken a Diploma course in music in 1956.
Title: Madhura Gayaki

padren68

Post by padren68 »

Hi Sriram
Yes, oka pilupulO pilichitE palukutavaTa was sung by her in a film. Very beautiful rendition.
Very few concerts are available. I have a few with me. Anyone interested, pls mail me.
She was highly inspired by Sri Voleti's style and has even sung jugalbandis with him.
Regards/Padmanabhan

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

mnsriram
now that you know padren , you can keep thanking Him for all the tracks I upload .. ;) ;) ;)

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

I would reckon anyone familiar w/ late Smt. Gopalaratnam's music would never forget her memorable piece-de-resistance, "nAlaMvA tava nayavacanaM ..." (brindAvana sArangA). One would be contemplating the heavens when she subconciously transports the soul to a higher realm in phrases like "ShriyaH kAntAya... prEmabhavam.." etc.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

Thank you Sri Kulkarni and Sri Padmanabhan.

mnsriram

Post by mnsriram »

The bhairavi swarajati is superb. Also, I never heard the kalyANi piece - "srimad Adi tyAgarAja guruvaram" before. This also has been sung so beautifully.

Rigapada

Post by Rigapada »

oka pilupulO pilichitE palukutavaTa

The author of the above song is ' Edida kAmeswara rAo '. A smll booklet of his songs is published by TTD.

--Rigapada

padren68

Post by padren68 »

srimad Adi tyAgarAja guruvaram is a Mysore Vasudevachar composition. If u notice she starts this concert with an elaborate kalyabi alapana.

Mahesh

Post by Mahesh »

There is a concert of her in sangeethapriya.org. The RTP is lathangi is excellent.

Sangeet Rasik

Post by Sangeet Rasik »

Indeed, an excellent vocalist. My favorite in the above concert is the presentation of Dikshitar's "varadarajam upasmahe" in saranga - even though the recording quality is not great. For some reason there is a "?" in the composer column.

SR

haripriya chintalapati

Post by haripriya chintalapati »

Hi All,

Iam not sure whether anyone is viewing this part of the blog, but i hope my trial will not go waste: iam deliberately searching for mp3 songs (as many as possible) of Miss. Srirangam Gopalaratnam(mainly the annamayya sankeertanas), i got the .rm files from this post but could not play them on my machine (dont want to set bittorrent on it),
thanks in advance,
haripriya

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Please Do NOT make blank requests for mp3 files etc, and certainly not for them to be sent to your email. We want people to discuss music here, not just solicit for and hoard music

haripriya chintalapati

Post by haripriya chintalapati »

Miss Srirangam Gopalaratnam is a very good artist whom i admired all the time, her work is really amazing...

PS., me out of great interest and respect towards this great artist, requested for the mp3s, but it is also obvious from the links that they are not hidden, anyhow, please disregard my request if such things are not allowed and thanks alot for monitoring and keeping this site professional(have given a dummy id just for reference),

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Haripriya,

We have made a conscious decision many months back to prevent any kind of copyrighted stuff from being exchanged via this forum, and also actively discourage blanket requests. Thanks for the understanding.

rsmitha

Post by rsmitha »

Hi,

My dad is an admirer of Srirangam Gopalaratnam and has being looking for Narayan Theertha tharangalu for a
long time now. He used to hear it in All India Radio bhakthi Ranjani programme.

Does anyone know whether it is available in CD/Casseste form. I will be very thankful if anybody can give me info about it.

Thanks,
Smitha

annapoorne

Post by annapoorne »

Smitha

I think you can get the cassette/CD brought out by AIR Hyderabad from the Hyderabad station. I have got one but unfortunately the sleeve notes are in Telugu.

rsmitha

Post by rsmitha »

Thank you very much.I will try there.

Thanks,

snk

Post by snk »

I do agree that this is not a forum to exchange mp3s. But then, if we could share available concerts/songs, it would really be great. After all it is sometimes a longing to get back to the artist and listening to some of the our favourites is good!(well, that is not the word!)

shankarank

Srirangam Gopalaratnam

Post by shankarank »

Not sure if a thread exists - but happen to hear this at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2cK6UtoY2I

Listening to panca mAtanga mukha. Can anybody consider this a melodious music today? Unless you can really appreciate the laya in her singing , plus Dr Yella's accompaniment , I see no way to latch on to it by today's standards of what is pleasing.

shankarank

Re: Srirangam Gopalaratnam

Post by shankarank »

Looks like there is one : viewtopic.php?t=709. Mods can merge.

After she completes Mohana KalyANi, one could hear somebody ( Dr Yella himself??) telling her how good her voice is, but suggesting she should control at higher octaves.

He , whoever he was , was predicting the decline of Carnatic music then!! Phenomenal unabashed expression! I was moved hearing that suggestion!