Carnatic Musicians
shriroop

Post by shriroop »

Hello,

Can I have some details of Smt Salem Jayalakshmi please

Shriroop

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

I am also interested about Salem SJayalakshmi, noted for popularising tamil isai, a leading musicologist. Her brother S Balakrishnan was a leading cricket player, representing Madras in Ranji trophy. he was my senior in Little Flower High school ,Salem . The reason for giving such details is it may ring a bell in some member's memory.. I n those days Salem was famous for its vidwans D .ChellamI yengar, G .Desikan,Lalitha bai Shamanna, her sons DR .S.Ramaswamy(an AIR MUSICIAN) VEENA VIDWAN S. Ravidran, violinist E thapur Srinivasan. In those days, they could not reach toplevel because of stiff competition from legendary musicians. gobilalitha

K Nagarajan

Re: Salem Jayalakshmi

Post by K Nagarajan »

Dr.Salem Jayalakshmi is a great musician.

I remember her concert broadcast in the AIR in the 1970s in which all the compositions were from Tiruppugazh composed by Sri.Arunagirinathar.
Kharaharapriya was the main ragam in which she rendered 'Nadabindukalathi namo nama'.

I searched in the Sangeethapriya.org also but could not find any upload of her concert.

I hope someone may give more details about the musician, her music, available recordings of her music.

K Nagarajan