T.M.Krishna

Carnatic Musicians
saramati

T.M.Krishna

Post by saramati »

T.M.KRISHNA, a singer with great talent, but probably misunderstood?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I wonder what we are supposed to understand by that.

Nothing preposterous, I hope!

arasi

Post by arasi »

'Onestly Nick! Your post-post HAD to include that word 'pre' post or whatever :)

diogeneb

Post by diogeneb »

He bores me with his chauka kaalam renditions. Ok, he has evolved a style of his own, but Semmangudi should have rubbed off somewhere. Doesn't seem to have unfortunately.

fuddyduddy

Post by fuddyduddy »

i like his chauka kaalam renditions the best... he sings it with so full of bhavam, emotion etc that the slow tempo needs.. shri bhargavi in mangalakaisiki is a great example..

arasi

Post by arasi »

I agree. TMK's chauka kAlam kritis are a speciality.

shripathi_g

Post by shripathi_g »

I concur too. I've heard some very good chauka kaala renditions of Amba Neelayadakshi, Mundu Venuga, Chetasri Balakrishnam, Shri Nilotpalanayike, etc by him. I thrive on chauka kaala renditions, MDR being a favorite of mine (more like a God :)) ) so I might be biased.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Not to forget his Varugalamo and Sagara Sayana Vibho. I too love his chowka kala renditions, though I was not very pleased with his commercial release of Chetasri which was so slow I found myself hanging on to every syllable. But when he gets into a fluent kalapramanam, he's unstoppable.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TMK's dalachina vAru in dhanyAsi and varugalamO in mAnji are top class

vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

Removed
Last edited by vpadmana on 10 Nov 2009, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

a question that may sidestep the above topic...but perhaps worth discussing.

did musiri, MDR and even KVN not sing in chauuuuuuuuuka kalam? personally, i found musiri's version of andholika real slow, in fact i dont think i have ever heard andholika being rendered as slow as musiri did it...ok, i used lesser number of u's than vpadmana...but nevertheless! maybe there are folks out there who enjoy sloooooow rendering of krithis....no?
Last edited by mahesh3 on 03 Feb 2009, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

You're obviously judging by GNB and his disciple MLV's versions.

I find that chauka rendition is much better for raga sudha rasa.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

srikant, my point exactly. if i ever had anything to pick with musiri's music, it is that he would sing andholika and really any raga for that matter in slow kalapramanam. some people loved it, but for me, i am not able to always like his interpretations. i do like it when he sings neerajakshi in chauka kalam...but somehow, i could not take his nagumomu or raga sudha rasa in superslow mode

u r right tho,,,,i am hugely influenced by mlv's renedition of andholika...it is one of my all time favorites. i like tmk's version too actually...and it is superfast :)
Last edited by mahesh3 on 03 Feb 2009, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.

vrbadri

Post by vrbadri »

No doubt TMK is good at singing kRtis in the chaukakAla pramANam. However, many renditions by TMK in such kAlapramANam speed up and down pretty randomly. IMHO, he needs to take note of it. But for that, some of his renditions are simply breathtaking!
Last edited by vrbadri on 03 Feb 2009, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

Removed
Last edited by vpadmana on 10 Nov 2009, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

Music

Post by Music »

When it comes to power in the voice among contemporary artists, I think there is none other like TMK. A very rich & melodious voice. For singers who don't have this gift, mikes help a lot. For TMK, the same sound system may make him sound too loud. His voice carries a lot of power.

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

What an artist! :P
Never fails to entertain raskias whether he is singing, writing articles, giving legal notices or making controversial statements in the media :D
With a powerful 3 octave voice and lots of stamina....he is sure to provide high quality entertainment for many years to come :)

-Rasika 911 :)

rajaglan

Post by rajaglan »

His slow renditions used to be moderately slow, I remember his mukari 5 years back at Odukathur mutt (Yendraiku siva kirupai). It was moving rendition. And also a nayaki rendition in O rangasayee album.

But then in the last 2 years, the slow is too slow. I guess in Ganjam flight of fantasy concert, he took a slow
piece and went on for 30min. Because of TMK the crowd stayed back, otherwise people would have quit
one hour in to the concert. It was like a superfast train stopped in a unknown station and waiting for a train to pass by and the oppsite train is not in sight for long time. His chowka renditions of Chetasri, meenakshi memudam are too slow when I heard. I guess TMK will take this feedback that majority(not in this forum) does not like this.
Last edited by rajaglan on 28 Dec 2009, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

babaji

Post by babaji »

Rasika911 wrote:What an artist! :P
Never fails to entertain raskias whether he is singing, writing articles, giving legal notices or making controversial statements in the media :D
With a powerful 3 octave voice and lots of stamina....he is sure to provide high quality entertainment for many years to come :)

-Rasika 911 :)

Many types of entertainment are being presented in the carnatic music scene. In fact i heard seshagopalan mention in one interview that after song finishes flowers falling from above the stage and such antics can be expected. Only music department is slightly if not totally spoiled. However T.M.K is singing well and Presenting a lot of variety these days.

Nandri vanakkam.

sruthi

Re: T.M.KRISHNA, a singer with great talent, but probably mi

Post by sruthi »

Interesting writeup on vidwan TMK: "Say hello to Carnatic Music’s s-e-x symbol"
http://www.tehelka.com/story_main50.asp ... _HELLO.asp

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Shruthi, thank you for the link....while I have nothing to say about the 'appealing/not-so-appealing' title, the comment about the audience being incidental is actually worth exploring. While we have heard a lot about how Smt. MSS and her team, led by Sri Sadasivam, prepared for concerts taking great pains to tailor the performance to the audience, once she was on stage, I think the audience felt like they had entered her personal space, and felt inordinately privileged to go on a journey into that space - a space she was very content to be lost in. In such instances, you could say that the audience is incidental, and is probably why the experience was the same, regardless of the audience or occasion. So, when a musician is lost in his/her music, the audience is truly incidental, and the quality of the music can be mind-blowing!

Purist

Post by Purist »

The title is 'appalling'.

anandasangeetham

Post by anandasangeetham »

very interesting write up. I am not sure if it is right to raise the oft debated topic particularly in response to "the audience is incidental" Though I totally agree that getting lost in one's own music is next to divinity singing to a few chairs will kill the enthusiasm. How many musicians perform to their full potential to near empty halls? Hence TMK can say afford to say this as he has a packed hall every time. Then another question...if audience is incidental why should he care about what they do? (i mean record the concert )... If he hates his music when he performs for them - again what does he lose if he someone records his hate-music?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

"‘I don't like the idea of virtues' - T.M. Krishna"

http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/ ... 325243.ece

T.M. Krishna's confessions ( using the so called 'Proust' method ).

The Hindu is playing with the above headlines just to get some attention, I think.. Read the full Q&A for context.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Whilst I do not understand why the newspapers have this thing with what TMK thinks, I guess, if it wasn't him, it would be a film star.

fduddy

Post by fduddy »

Idiotic questions and even more idiotic replies.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

I could not resist jumping in on the subject of TMK's attitude towards audience. While I essentially grew up in the ARI-CHEMBAI-MUSIRI--MAHARAJPURAM-SSI-GNB-MMI-ALATHUR-MSS_DKP-MLV era and I have been privy to several off-stage conversations (ranging from downright scatological--half of which I could hardly fathom during those growing years to very weighty discussions on concert patterns,composers, and lineages etc with the understandably wide range of opinions on the discussions amongst the participants--most of which were impromptu and off-the-cuff---- the ONE topic on which there was near unanimity amongst these stalwarts was THEIR RESPECT FOR THE AUDIENCE---not some token lip-service respect for the audience but a genuine one. An anecdote I heard from my father concerning ARI and SSI.

ARI was a very friendly person always respectful of whoever he was talking to irrespective of the person's age-it seems whenever a stranger is introduced to him by one of the people around him and the stranger tries to "jog" ARI's memory with some obscure meeting that he had with ARI eons ago , ARI will diplomatically nod in approval saying the basic things(that will not land him in trouble with the visitor!) that will make the visitor happy. Once on an occasion when SSI and ARI were meeting a visitor intruded and ARI pretended he knew him from Adam and let the visitor go away pleased and very happy. After the visitor had left, SSI chided ARI for his "fawning demeanour before strangers and that it does not behove a senior artiste like him to appear so obsequious and that it sets a bad precedent for younger artistes from whom the public will expect the same degree of bonhomie and the latter may not be inclined to reciprocate under the pretext of keeping 'their space" . ARI I believe replied in Tamil as follows:

Seenu,---- Namma Kitte Irukkirudu(music)Avanukku Thevai Illlai --Anal Avan Kitte Irukkirudu(Money) Namakku Thevai(Translation: what we(artistes have--i.e, music, the visitor does not need to live but what he has(money) we need.

Now forumites should view this comment in proper perspective not interpret it as crass meretriciousness or mendicity--it definitely underscores the recognition by a leading artiste that the audience(of which the visitor was a part) is vital for the promotion of art in the modern age sans the princely patronage of erstwhile eras.

back to TMK's views about the audience, I have seen his indifference and at times down right insulting remarks to the audience--about 2/3 years back during the December season in MA, towards the tail end of the concert he was singing a ragamalika and one of the ragas was not too familiar to one member of the audience who got up to ask what the raga was to which TMK asked apparently in jest(in his opinion)--"You want to know this raga only -- So that means you could identify the previous ragas"--he may not have intended to "show" the rasika up but the rasika definitely felt humiliated.

I do not want to take away his talent and concerts-popularity but in my opinion he could be more respectful if not deferential towards the audience. The interview piece does seem to echo his indifference if not disdain for the audience.
Admittedly one cannot take a particular comment out of context and pillory an artist for what he/she may not have intended.

vasanthakokilam

Definitely TMK should have just answered the question respectfully and not go extra-curricular on the rasika like that. iLakkAram is a characteristic of many haughty CM musicians and he seems to have gotten that in plenty.

BTW, How do you even ask a question to the artist on stage? Shout out from the audience in the middle of the song?
But if I had the temerity to ask TMK such a question in the middle of a song, I hope I will have the thick skin to take such an answer :)

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I don't think TMK has particularly been disrespectful of audiences anywhere in these two interviews.

I'm fairly sure he's exaggerating the "audiences just happen to be there" part, but I think that many rasikas and artistes actually feel it should be that way for the musician: indeed it is a very wrong notion to have. I have come to feel that best music comes when much of the mind is actually devoted to technically producing the piDis neatly, bhAvam itself is just an occassional bonus.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

If he really does not care about the audience, he won't care if the reviews and the interviews stop. If he really, really, doesn't care about the audience, he won't mind if the concert invitations stop. He can sing at home and will be happy. For a man that doesn't care about an audience, he seems to be very welcoming to the interviewers and reporters!

But this may be a superficial understanding of his statement, which, in itself, may have been a flippant comment. Surely there is a relationship between any artist and their audience in every concert? This does not mean that the artist must become what we call popularist, attracting great numbers and performing only for their oohs and aaahs, but it means that there is a feedback, seen and unseen, a loop in which artist and audience affect each other. That's the whole point, isn't it? Within the context of this loop, an artist may indeed be 100% involved and focussed on his performance.

anandasangeetham

Post by anandasangeetham »

once TMK was a guest speaker at Crazy Mohans video release (Q & A type which Crazy did in Vikatan) This was directed by SB Kanthan (brother of Mouli). Here Madan narrated incidents of humourous anectodes of/by musicians of the 50s and 60s and commented that there is no bonding of rasika and musician today as it existed in the olden days. TMK who had finished his felicitation suddenly sprung from his seat and made a comment after requesting Madan saying ...Naanga bayapadarom. avallam romba thairiyama iruntha...ava mela avaluke rombe self confidence..than nenaichahe theiriyama solra thunivu avaluku irunthathu engaluku illa .... ( we are afraid...unlike them who had no fear and had lots of self confidence and said what they wanted to without any fear or inhibition)...

That day I had great respect for TMK for openly admitting but this does not mean audience be taken for granted...As Nick said there has to be a rapport with the audience and only then the music will be good....if the audience does not applaud then the performer feels bad...the more the applause the more enthused the musician and hence audience presence is incidental is not right....I have seen him many times asking the audience to sit through the mangalam (most of us rasikas stand and start to leave the moment the mangalam is about to be rendered)..Thoug this is a very good gesture the remark negates it....

Balummi

Post by Balummi »

I am having the exactly opposite opinion to that of Anand Sangeetham . As Madurai Mani Iyer used to say - The musician should respect the audience but the audience need not do so . Sometimes their actions may interfere with the singer in a concert - like getting up during a song in progress etc. and he should never get worked up and allow his ego to dominate.

When he tried to give all new ragas and unknown compositions in a concert in TRIPLICANE way back in 1930s, as my father used to say ,there were only 9 persons in the audience and MMI himself enjoyed the concert very much . Later on he realised after pointed out by Sri Papa Venkatramiah , and started singing Gana Ragas and the compositions expected by Rasikas . He equally enjoyed them also .

MaamiAtHeart

Post by MaamiAtHeart »

Check out the latest article from Hindu's "what's ailing carnatic music" series! In this article, the author takes particular issue with TMK's concert format.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 533509.ece

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

I like T.M.Krishna's chowka kala style esp. when he sings Dikshitar kritis. I think many of MD'd kritis (not all) fit the chowka style and Krishna does justice to that. I am one who loves to hear the artist take the time to go through the raga ( time permitting) in depth and enjoy singing or playing that song with Bhava. When the artist brings the Bhava into the song, the audience feels that too. It is nice to hear some fast songs along with some chowka style kritis. Krishna does have a very good voice and sings very well.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Discussion On TMK's book with TMK present:
http://indiapostlive.com/carnatic-story/

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

For may years I have not taken the trouble to go to TMK's concerts. The previous time was a temple concert, maybe 18 months ago, and I was driven away by my own back pain, as I was unable to take much time sitting on the ground then due to joint problems.

Took time to widen my horizons with a concert nearby home a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I am unable to either judge or report the carnatic technicalities, but I can say that I was swept along on an evening of pure music. Perhaps the format might have been unusual or irregular; the performance was magnificent.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

No doubt about his purity of CM; he has range of voice, rich imagination and astute application. I am rather impatient when he sings in vilamba kalam one after another. Also, the abruptness of a song (he sand chakkani raja beautifully, differently too, in one concert, but it lacked the elaborate treatment I have been used to; also singing raga but no song does not yet go well with me. Any day I would like to listen to him though.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Second hand... I was unable to stay up/awake for his 5.00am SPIC MACAY performance of a few weeks ago; my wife and I headed for home a little time before it started. I wondered about how he would handle, or if he would even put up, an audience who were half asleep ---literally, half were asleep!--- but I heard that he gave a brilliant performance, taking just three pieces and filling two hours with them. I guess the video will be available, I only just now thought to look.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

SPIC MACAY performance
A report:
http://t5e.iitm.ac.in/2014/06/a-night-to-remember/
One of the most recognized Carnatic vocalists of our time, Vidwan T. M. Krishna definitely deserved a more responsive and sizeable audience than that he was left with at 5:30 in the morning, his concert having been delayed by a staggering two and a half hours. Although not scantily attended, the foyer was only about three-quarters full and half of those in attendance were too tired to be participative. As an effect, probably, his singing was more subdued than usual, but entertaining nonetheless. He began with Chakkani Raja, a Thyagaraja krithi in Karaharapriya set to Adi taala, and went on to perform about a dozen aalaps of varying complexity and grace. The concert was characterised by his usual strict adherence to an orthodox style and expansive hand gestures at most times, losing himself in the mesmerising labyrinthe of his own music. He was accompanied by Vidwan H. N. Bhaskar on the violin and Vidwan K. Arun Prakash on the mridangam.

venkatakailasam

There are a few scattered threads at General Discussions...can all be merged here?

A discussion on The Carnatic Story...

can be watched here:

http://indiapostlive.com/carnatic-story/

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Making sense here:

http://www.thehindu.com/features/magazi ... 180426.ece

Although a somewhat K.Balachander like ending :-)

venkatakailasam

T.M. Krishna’s “A Southern Music” was the subject of a lively discussion recently..

An article in The Hindu..

http://www.thehindu.com/features/metrop ... 192951.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

extraordinary marketing
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 627527.ece

Mods
Can you just make the thread tm krishna , with more phrases it is difficult to search

Aditto

Re: T.M.Krishna

Post by Aditto »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

OMR area with a cluster of IT companies donot have access to music. One of the days I will go and see this place . The writeup of TMK concert is as usual on his music and also on his unique unique branding that always comes in writeups. But TMK is indeed presenting a serious music - which i like.
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 011354.ece

I just googled to find that the writer sharada ramanathan is also a film director and was/is associated to spic macay. That experience has indeed come handy. God bless Smt sharada and her team in bringing cm to OMR.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Rajesh. That is a good description of the current day TMK concert. "No gimmicks, no frills and not your father's concert format"

btw, I was looking for any mention of how big the crowd was. I know Harimau has a bet going that TMK will be singing to empty halls in March ( of course, if it was well received, he can always call the OMR IT people as idiots and without taste ;) as he did the NRIs who were supposedly flocking to the TMK's concerts ), nonetheless I want to see if Harimau got this one right or not.

venu sundar

Post by venu sundar »

Sri.T M Krishna one of our middle aged Carnatic singer is known for his talents both as a musician and otherwise.TMK manages to be in the NEWS even during the off-season and the latest one is his advance and prior statement of NOT singing during the forth coming December 2015
Margazhi Music Festival.One feels for the thousands of TMK rasikas who will be deeply disappointed by his SUDDEN decision so early.At the same
time one cannot help feeling that TMK is trying to be flashy and tries to be the centre of attraction to the media in general.In the yester years of the golden era of Carnatic Music Messers Ariyakudi,Semmangudi GNB and the evergreen Madurai Mnai Iyer used to sing in ALL the available forums of Temples to Music Academy!But today the scenario is changed one and we now appeal to TMK to reconsider his move and sing in the festival

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

From Saranagathi, house magazine of Ramasramam:

Hailing from a family of musicians, T. M. Krishna began his formal training in vocal music from B. Seetharama Sarma at the age of six. He gave his first concert at the age of twelve and in the last 24 years, has released over 40 albums, travelled widely around India and given more than 2000 concerts
around the world (including at the Kennedy Centre and the Sydney Opera House).
On the evening of 26th December, before a packed crowd in the Library Auditorium, Krishna humbly asked the audience if they minded that he give his performance from the floor itself. Permission granted, devotees helped him remove the large dais so that he could sit at eye-level with those gathered around him in order that all might feel “more at home”; all were treated to scintillating music

isramesh

Post by isramesh »

https://youtu.be/ryOWbBh-06E
Interesting lecture by TMK touching various points being hotly discussed by the forumites these days.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

TMK has posted this in FB:
After over a decade, Vikku Mama was back on the Karnatik stage yesterday. And I was privileged to share space with him. What a beautiful musician.
Ghatam & Voice.

TM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1MCnn2uSMA