Post by Nick H »

Indeed....

Oh! I thought we were in that thread!

shankarabharanam

Post by shankarabharanam »

What a wonderful thread...:)

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Oops...I cant believe I have missed the recent developments on this thread. The point about Mali's last concert was excellant. That is a concert that I will cherish. Hari did match Mali very well.

About Hari being Mount Everest of percussion, I totally agree with that. In some other thread I had mentioned Palghat Mani Iyer as the Meru.

I am so happy that my dear friends, Nerkunram Shankar, Bangalore Amrith and B Sreesunderkumar made the Harishankar Memorial function a great success. All four of us share great admiration and memories of Harishankar. Happy to see the Harishankar Legacy continue.

Does anyone know if there is a photograph of Harishankar on the hall of fame corridor of Music Academy??

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

thathwamasi wrote:Oops...I cant believe I have missed the recent developments on this thread. The point about Mali's last concert was excellant. That is a concert that I will cherish. Hari did match Mali very well.
There is a small youtube video of mali with harishankar. Im a layman when it comes tro laya. In the video he plays shiva shiva enaraada with a complex muktaaya which is matched only by harishankar. And mali looks back and nods in approbation.. wonderful video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=glBlMa3zFQM

Is the violinist T rukmni? Who are the ones on mridanga and morsing?

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

May be Dwaram Mangathayaru on violin and mannarkudi Easwaran on mridungam .

cienu

Post by cienu »

Yes Thanjavooran , you are right.

Accompanists are as follows:
Dwaram Mangathayaru - Violin
Mannargudi Easwaran - Mridangam
Hari Shankar - Kanjira
Pudukottai Mahadevan - Morsing

Beautiful Video. The Sabha has a thatched roof , with fans , a far cry from today when almost all Sabhas are uncomfortably chill with high airconditioning.

Mali is supported by 3 pillows tripling up as a make shift back rest.

Ofcourse the music is divine ... absolutely !
Last edited by cienu on 24 Feb 2008, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.

sshankar_1970

Post by sshankar_1970 »

This is probably Mali's last concert -Dec 31st 2005 Krishna Gana Sabha

cienu

Post by cienu »

sshankar_1970 wrote:This is probably Mali's last concert -Dec 31st 2005 Krishna Gana Sabha
sshankar,

How wonderful if this were true. We would have heard the great Mali for 19 years and 7 months more ! Unfortunately he reached his Creator on May 31st 1986...:(
Last edited by cienu on 25 Feb 2008, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

sshankar_1970

Post by sshankar_1970 »

cienu wrote:
sshankar_1970 wrote:This is probably Mali's last concert -Dec 31st 2005 Krishna Gana Sabha
sshankar,

How wonderful if this were true. We would have heard the great Mali for 19 years and 7 months more ! Unfortunately he reached his Creator on May 31st 1986...:(
Sorry .. should read Dec 31st 1985

RaviVeda

Post by RaviVeda »

For Sri. Trichy Sankaran and Sri.Harishankar fans, there is a nice concert of them playing together for Hyderabad Bros .

http://sangeethamshare.org/ksomu/Carnat ... cal/HB-07/

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

wow.... wonderful... am looking for more sankaran sir's concerts.... can you please provide me the link or tell where its available online... if it is with harishankar then its icing on the cake

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

just vintage sankaran..enna nAdham!!!.... see the way how the thisra gathi roars... and what to say abouut harishankar.... my GOD just the way he played that tisram and the replies to the khanda koraippu in tisram,,, atleast am lucky to hear harishankar in tapes if not live.....

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

are there any other concerts of sankaran sir and harishankar (if not together,, atleast seperately) in sangeethapriya / sangeethamshare apart from airport concert, 67 MA concert withh semmangudi mama,, etc etc....????
if anyone can tell..

thanks a lot

khanjirachavana

Post by khanjirachavana »

coolkarni wrote:thatwamasi

http://rapidshare.de/files/29209646/IMMORTALMOMENTS.MPG

grab this immortal moment and store it in the safest corners of your heart .
also remember to rush to the raj video vison stores in mount road, the next time you are in chennai , to grab the full story of semmangudis concert at the academy.
some great videographing this.
unbelievable set of fingers at work , in the backdrop.
a great palm keeping company in the foreground.

and some well deserved shabhash's..
a golden moment indeed !!

Hi thatwamasi,

I got one of my friends to go to Raj Videos... There is no such vidoes in that store....!!! Can u please share the exact info, please......???

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

even i also asked raj video vision about that concert.... they said they dont have that right now and that they will be realeasing the video of that concert again in a couple of months

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

All

This video was release by Raj Video Vision as a Video Cassette. Its Semmangudi's 1988 music academy concert, with TNK , Shankaran and Harishankar. I dont if they have stock of it. But its a fab concert.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

probably they are in the process of converting those into cd's.... well to sri.thathwamasi and others if you have that in a cd is is it possible to upload that in our forum(rules permitting)???

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Semmu86 - Not sure if they have any plans of them converting it. However, you can look for a double audio cassette released by AVM (I guess) of this concert. But they have cut a few pieces. I bought it like 8 years before and now I dunno where it is now. There are many lively comments of Semmangudi which wlil make u laugh so much in that concert.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

ya i have that double audio concert.... i dont have the complete song list of that concert, so i really dont know what all pieces they have omitted.... and it certainly looks like they have omitted because in those cassettes the concert starts from "sri mAthrubHootham" and ends in the thillana, looks like incomplete to me.... and of course as you said wonderful humorous commments by mama ,, especially his fondness towards harishankar

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Semmu86 - I am sure they cut off the first item of the concert which was 'Inta Paraka'. And more so on the video, some funny gestures by Semmangudi Mama. In pankaja Lochana, while singing the Anupallavi - he will be singing Shankara Vidi Vala and he will be pointing out to Shankaran with a baby like Smile...:) :)...And Harishankar would have played some really really cute fillers in between in that Pankaja Lochana.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

oh wonderful.... am now even more eager than before to get hold of a copy of the video of that concert.... what about the end pieces??? does the concert end with solla vallayo and thillana???

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

Semmu86....I dont remember the end pieces because I never went beyond the tani avartanam...the famous harishankar korvai followed by a lovely misram by Shankaran and Harishankar...oh I never had the temptation to go beyond that...

hanasoge

Post by hanasoge »

Hi Tathvamasi,

The video clip you posted before

is not working anymore. (An error occurs that says no download activity for a long time)

If it is not too much trouble, could you please post this clip (and others if any ;)) again ?

khanjirachavana

Hi Thathwamasi, I have that entire concert in MP3 format... if u could help me to upload every body can share that beautiful concert.....
Last edited by khanjirachavana on 30 Apr 2008, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

hi khanjirachavana.... i think you are mentioning about its audio ( am sincerely hoping that am proved wrong and you have full video of it) .... audio is available even now i think and one more thing is i dont know whether our forum allows us to upload commercial recordings (since that concert can be brought actually)

thathwamasi

Post by thathwamasi »

hanasoge - I think some harishankar clips including this one are on youtube. Will send the links tonite.

Kanjirachavana - I think Semmu86 is right in saying we cannot upload ones that are commercially released. However, will the moderators permit us just to share the tani avartanam on this concert please. You can email me if you require any help to upload as mentioned in ur message.

T

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

i think those youtube clips(which i saw some months back) features only the famous korvai by harishankar and not the full thani..... only GOD knows when Raj video vision will release that concert.....

lsangeetham

Post by lsangeetham »

Kanjirachavana : Guess you can share this concert on a one-to-one basis, if you are willing. If you don't mind giving us your email id or create one email id for this purpose and post that id, interested rasikas can email you. You can then upload the concert on any of the popular upload engines and send the link to those who sent you an email. :-) I know it is a round about way, but it will allow interested rasikas to get the concert and also not violate rasika's code. Just an idea.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

An amazing Vidwan! His Tani with Karaikkudi Mani in a 1986 TNS concert - a commercial release with Shri Krishnam Bhaja Manasa main is just outstanding!
Sathej

khanjirachavana

my email id is chavumrdk@gmail.com..... I appreciate any help for uploading this tani in any of the engines or in this rasikas.......

lsangeetham

Post by lsangeetham »

Kanchiravachana: Thanks for your post. I have sent you an email with one sugestion for upload. Hope you find it helpful. Thanks a lot and look forward to the concert :-)

mri_fan

Post by mri_fan »

Mods, I don't think this should be allowed...discussing sending these things makes this website a participant (however unwilling) in this act.

lsangeetham

Post by lsangeetham »

I have described in my post dated 04/30/2008 on how my idea would not violate rasikas.org's norms. If it is a rule that anything should not be shared in a public forum like this, the only way to do it is one-to-one by sharing the respective email ids. Infact I have not even mentioned what my suggestion to upload concerts was. IMHO, I have tried to be as conforming as possible. Thanks !

kanjira

Post by kanjira »

Guys,

Will someone pls repost Harishankarji's tani avarthanam's? The files uploaded to rapidshare have been deleted. Pls upload whatever you have on Hariji's recordings. I'm really mad at his stupendous playings. Pls help me...

kanjira

Post by kanjira »

God I really joined this group very late....pls pls tell me a location where I can find Hari mama tani's. I'm not able to sleep after listening to his few tani's in youtube. the one's in youtube are very very short. Pls give me something pretty long...

sunayanaa

Post by sunayanaa »

Someone can setup a "Tributes" page in Sangeethapriya.org for Harishankar where his non-commercial thanis can be uploaded.

Any volunteer to take this up ?

n s sankar kanjira

Post by n s sankar kanjira »

Kalaimamani G Harishankar Admirers Circle’ is organisng 2nd year remembrance day of the maestro Shri G Harishankar on Saturday - 11.2.09. Senior Konnakkol & Mridangam exponent, Trichy Shri Thayumanavan will be honoured

Rasikas and well wishers ARE INVITED

e-mail: nerkunam.sankar@gmail.com
mobile: 9841135405.
Last edited by n s sankar kanjira on 29 Jan 2009, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

n s sankar kanjira

Post by n s sankar kanjira »

Re: Remembering the Legend - G.Harishankar SHRI G HARISHANKAR REMEMBRANCE DAY
PROGRAM:
6 15 PM PRAYER
6 20 PM WELCOME ADDRESS BY N.AMRITH
625 PM PLAYING AUDIO/VIDEO CLIPINGS OF G HARISHANKAR
7 00 PM TRIBUTE TO HARISHANKAR BY MRIDANGAM MEASTRO DR.TRICHY SANKARAN (PROFF. OF MUSIC YORK UNIVERSITY ,TORNOTO, CANADA)

7 30 PM Prasantation of KALAMAMANI SHRI G HARISHANKAR MEMORIAL AWARD TO KONNAKOL EXPONENT TRICHY SHRI R THAYUMANAVAN.
7 35 PM VOTE OF THANKS BY NERKUNAM S SANKAR
7 45 PM LAYAVINYASAM BY
TRICHY R THAYUMANAVAN -Konnakol
TRICHUR C NAREDRAN -Mridangam
B .S. PURUSHOTHAMAN -Kanjira
VAIKKOM R GOPALAKRISHNAN-Ghatam
A .S . KRISHNAN - Moharsing
venu: ragha sudha hall , Luz, Mylapore.. on 11 th Feb 09
Last edited by n s sankar kanjira on 29 Jan 2009, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

pgaiyar

Post by pgaiyar »

To : Shri. NS Sankar:

This is going to be a riveting event no doubt. Can I please request you to upload the audio of this concert when done in this forum?. God bless you and all. May the soul of Shri. Govinda Rao Harishankar rest in peace!.

Regards

Guru
31-Jan-09

ambika.sundaram

Post by ambika.sundaram »

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwww ....... what to say about this magician ....... tell me who can excel him ????

His demise is a great loss to carnatic music ........ but genius would leave us early ....

tharunthilak

Post by tharunthilak »

Yes. His demise is a great loss to us. He is an all time great genius for sure.

Heard that he used to play Kanchira as a right hander and Mridangam as a left hander (to prove that Mridangam playing is not as good as Kanchira playing).
Last edited by tharunthilak on 18 Sep 2009, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

to prove that Mridangam playing is not as good as Kanchira playing
Here was one musician who never had to prove anything to anyone --- but who, apparently, was very modest in his relationship with mridangists. Actually, I met him just once, and he seemed very modest person anyway!

One mridangist (UKS or K Mani?) said of him, "what I play with two hands he can play with just one".

I am not a great one for Youtube or downloads, but I have watched some snippets of Harishankar's exchanges with T. Sankaranan. The expression on Sri Sankaran's face, at Harishankar's returns, is one of pure delight and admiration. He must have wept on hearing of his demise.

ambika.sundaram

Post by ambika.sundaram »

"to prove that Mridangam playing is not as good as Kanchira playing"

nick H - I would think this was not to under-estimate mridangam artists, but to indirectly make people understand that it is not easy to play Kanchira ....

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

tharunthilak wrote: Heard that he used to play Kanchira as a right hander and Mridangam as a left hander (to prove that Mridangam playing is not as good as Kanchira playing).
Am sure you must have meant " mrudangam playing is not as difficult as playing kanjira ".

Arvind ..

tharunthilak

Post by tharunthilak »

Yes. I meant that only. I meant "to prove that Mridangam playing is not as difficult as Kanchira playing". Thanks semmu86 for pointing it out.

And sorry for confusing nick H and ambika.sundaram.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Quite happy to be confused, if it leads to a few minutes of thinking about Harishankar :)

Much, much more enjoyable than my usual confusion :lol:

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

I have watched some snippets of Harishankar's exchanges with T. Sankaranan.
Just to add to this statement. The most exciting and breathtaking stuff in Shankaran-Harishankar tanis is the koraippu section. And the way Sri Harishankar responds to Shankaran sir's koraippus..... I've no words .... one really wonders whoz the best....

For eg, if Shankaran sir plays a koraippu in 1-2-4 format Sri Harishankar would reverse it and reply in 4-2-1 format. And at many instances Shankaran sir would join the main artist in saying a "Balle" :) I was fortunate enough to see some scenes like this from a point blank range :)

God is Great !!!!
~ Raghav.
Last edited by raghavt on 25 Sep 2009, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

suneeth.krishnan

Post by suneeth.krishnan »

I have seen Harisankar and Umayalpuram playing for Balamurai Sir in youtube. Just listen to the tani. My goodness. What a tani ! Expecially Harisankar. The koruva played by Harisankar is simply superb.

tharunthilak

Post by tharunthilak »

suneeth - I too have seen this concert. Harisankar rocks ! ! !

khanjirachavana

Hi Everyone... I am back after a long time... I need an info... Can some body pls tell me the audio company that has released the below recording...

Vocal - John B Higgins
Violin - M Chandrashekar
Mridangam - Guru Karaikudi mani
Khanjira - G harishankar

I have got only the list of krithis in the audio... Please help