Sangitha Kalanidhi 2009

Carnatic Musicians
Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I heard tell that Trichy Sankaranan is to receive the title this year.

Confirmation would be happy!

(I can't believe I heard this, in London, before it got posted on rasikas --- so please excuse me it I've missed a thread!)

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jun 2009, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Nick, you ARE rasikas.org. So the forum is still home to breaking news of the CM world!
P.S. Where did you hear this news?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I heard it at BVB, London, from a musician with strong musical/family and musical-family ties to Chennai.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

There is no announcement in Music Academy website; unless the news is leaking out before being announcement.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

breaking news, indeed.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I was thinking it's vocal quota this time? Of course, it is not a rigid quota...

I've never listened to Trichy Sankaran so far! :(

arasi

Post by arasi »

srikant,
He played for our vidyaarthi in Bangalore in February (see s_hari's review on this concert). Even for this laya-impaired listener, his playing was so appealing.

Nick,
Good to hear fom you. Hope you are having a good time.
Let the news from our roving rasika be a scoop...

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

Very good news, if true! Magical artiste! Heard him for Nedunuri's concert at Academy and then more recently at Shri Chengalpet Ranganathan's concert at Ragasudha sometime in March or so this year. And of course, srikant, you can hear his brilliant display in the Airport concert of SSI. The way he plays for Ksheenamai - in the Neraval is just breathtaking.

Sathej

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Nov 2009, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

Have watched the Thani portion of it alone. Very well described, Cool ji. One of those highly cherishable moments.

Sathej

mohan

Post by mohan »

Sri Trichur V Ramachandran will be a front-runner for Sangeetha Kalanidhi in the centenary year of GNB.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Not only a great musician and a supreme mridangist, but a scholar of music at an international level.

Would this be a first

--- for a non-resident (India/Chennai)?

---a musician with a Canadian accent?

balu

Post by balu »

it will be either valayapatti subramaniam or sudharagunathan.it is my hunch.

appu

Post by appu »

Have their ever been 2 mridangists a year apart for Sangeeta Kalanidhi. The late Shri Palghat Raghu rcvd it in 2007. It seems rather too soon for another mridangist.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Now the discussions seems to speculate between different artists!

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I think non-residents of Chennai have got SK in the past. Does he really have a Canadian accent?! Haven't heard his mridangam yet, let alone his English speech.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

mohan wrote:Sri Trichur V Ramachandran will be a front-runner for Sangeetha Kalanidhi in the centenary year of GNB.
Even I heard TVR, but in one of the concerts that I had heard there was a talk by few that it would be also Trichy Sankaran (also remember PSP was born on 1908 so it is also kind of 100th anniversary). But all these are hearsay's, we have to wait.

kam

Post by kam »

I think music academy has not yet announced anything regarding the title to be presented this year.But there are some expectations that Trichy sankaran may get it this year.Of course it is not sure.TVR also has some chance to receive this title.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

`
Last edited by raghavt on 17 Jun 2009, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

I am for Sri Trichur Ramachandran

swami61

Post by swami61 »

VK RAMAN wrote:I am for Sri Trichur Ramachandran
Dear Friends/Sirs

Don't you all feel that Shri K. J. Yesudas and Shri Lalgudi G. Jayaraman both should be conferred this SK title long back? LGJ is very old now , and not so well also. People fail to honour when stalwarts are hale and healthy and alive. Sorry for being so crude , but it is saddening to note that politics has pervaded all the fields and Music Academy is also no exception. If I am wrong , please feel free to correct me.

Regards
Swaminathan S
Last edited by swami61 on 14 Jun 2009, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

swaminathan, rumor has it that LGJ declined the SK award for various reasons. Let us not get into the details of that ( whether that is true, if so why etc. ) in this thread.

cacm

Post by cacm »

swami61 wrote:
VK RAMAN wrote:I am for Sri Trichur Ramachandran
Dear Friends/Sirs

Don't you all feel that Shri K. J. Yesudas and Shri Lalgudi G. Jayaraman both should be conferred this SK title long back? LGJ is very old now , and not so well also. People fail to honour when stalwarts are hale and healthy and alive. Sorry for being so crude , but it is saddening to note that politics has pervaded all the fields and Music Academy is also no exception. If I am wrong , please feel free to correct me.

Regards
Swaminathan S
This has nothing to do with this thread.....However I appeal to persons writing about others- esp a giant like LGJ (& S.RAJAM among others) who happen to be what is generally called "old"- To not LOOSELY WRITE THINGS ABOUT THEIR HEALTH CONDITIONS & ABILITIES NOW- WITHOUT ASCERTAINING WHAT THE FACTS ARE:

Having known BOTH of these artists for over 50 years at least & in touch with them quite frequently tho' I live in USA- I last met them in MID-MARCH '09- I wish persons would be IRRESPEVTIVE of their CHRONOLOGIACAL AGE ACCORDING TO THE BIRTHDAYS would be one ten thousand their match in terms of Sharpness, Creativity, and Brilliance. If these persons spend more of their time on learning more about Time, Ageing etc & write things that can be sustantiated they will not be writing NON-SENSE like these....Actually both Einstein & Chandrasekhar were working at a VERY ADVANCED LEVEL till may be 5 minutes before they passed away....VKV

Tulip

Post by Tulip »

delete
Last edited by Tulip on 18 Sep 2009, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

mridangamkid

Post by mridangamkid »

Care sharing who you think is more deserving?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

...Everyone would have their own answer to that; some have given it already.

However, it does seem strange to rank TS as "average" though: I doubt that many would agree. raghavt makes good points, which I would stress with the suggestion that it is surely not possible to remain in the top rank of carnatic musicians, without being resident in Chennai/India for more than a couple of months a year, without truly being a top-ranker.

I'd say that he is very much a top ranker. I do not like lists-of-the-best, but he would be on mine for top mridangists before I had used many fingers in the counting.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Has Karaikudi Mani been awarded the SK as yet?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Oh...

I just realised...

Looks like I have taken my place in the Rasikas.org hall of infamy --- bys starting this year's SK controversy!

<Blush> :lol:

arasi

Post by arasi »

Nick,
Nothing new here. Had you not come out with the news, someone else would have started the ball rolling by speculating on it! June is about the time the SK question starts popping up in the minds of CM rasikAs. Their favorites come to mind first, of course. It is also true that there are many senior vidvAns--vocalists and instrumentalists who richly deserve the award. Yet, there is only one award every year. It is like the oscar and sports awards. Then there is: should it be an instrumentalist--when a vocalist is not chosen and vice versa, not forgetting regional favorites. I would call it a speculative sport and leave it at that!
Last edited by arasi on 15 Jun 2009, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

KRM has not received SK yet, I don't think. I would imagine it's high time VVS got it as well.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

@ bilahari
Does KRM refer to Vidwan Karaikudi R Mani?

But once again, I think this year is vocalists' quota, though it's not a rigid quota. So among the names mentioned, Trichur Ramachandran seems a likely one.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Last edited by raghavt on 17 Jun 2009, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.

cacm

Post by cacm »

nick H wrote:...Everyone

However, it does seem strange to rank TS as "average" though: I doubt that many would agree. raghavt makes good points, which I would stress with the suggestion that it is surely not possible to remain in the top rank of carnatic musicians, without being resident in Chennai/India for more than a couple of months a year, without truly being a top-ranker.
I'd say that he is very much a top ranker. I do not like lists-of-the-best, but he would be on mine for top mridangists before I had used many fingers in the counting.
nick H,

I agree with what you have written about TS. To place TS'S PLACE in terms of Mridangists of TWENTIETH CENTURY: He is the leading & premier disciple of the great PALANI who along with PMI are considered to be the best of all time -at least in twentieth century- by the KNOWLEDGEABLE (like Palghat Raghu who occupied the corresponding postion in the case of PMI).

It will be interesting to those who are somewhat knowledgeable in the area of Mridangam playing that because of the TOTAL DOMINANCE of PMI & Palani both of them had to adopt certain techniques to SURVIVE & in the process developed their OWN style as mridangists & became GREAT ONES in their own right. Raghu used lots of Palani's subtelities & TS used similarly PMI'S Specialities!. In the process both Raghu & TS became GIANTS. As one who has learnt Mridangam for several years & listened to all four for over 50 years I AM EVEN TODAY stunned at their oroginality & creativity. Just recently I was so astounded BY TS'S PLAYNG FOR TMK at Cleveland. I was fortunate to discuss with him in some detail in which he enhanced the concerts of so many main artists over the years!

MMI & GNB were two of the greats who not only realised it takes a great team of accompanists to make their concert great- like Basket ball a carnatic music concert is a TEAM effort--& openly admired & praised their acconmpaniments. There are many instances in which an accompanist like LGJ(in case of Alathur bros rtp) & MSG ( in the case of THE GREATEST NATTAKURINJI R.T.P BY G.N.B) have made the whole experince DIVINE. TS is in that category! Whether he is awarded SK this year or not he is one for posterity! vkv

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, VKV. You said it so well. With a vidvAn like him, SK is just another award in recognition of his vidvat.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Srikant, KRM is Guru Karaikudi Mani, yes. I agree--if it's a vocalist's turn, TVR has got to be on top of the list.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Absolutely, VKV, nicely said.

Let us imagine, for a moment, that TS had studied with some relatively unknown teacher, rather than with a unique legend, and had, somehow, developed the same skills, the same mastery of rhythm, maths and music. If this were the case, I think he would still have the same position, and still deserve the same praise.

The fact that he is both the embodiment of this great tradition and a great success in the international academic world adds greatly to his stature.

By the way, I have never exchanged more than a very few words with him (one day perhaps I might get lucky, but I think he would prefer to spend his time with more serious students than me) but yes, I thought he had a Canadian accent. It's been 40 years, hasn't it? It would be surprising if he didn't!

visaalam

Post by visaalam »

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

srikant1987 wrote: I've never listened to Trichy Sankaran so far! :(
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/kl/22-Va ... -Sankaran/
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/kl/04-SS ... demy-1967/
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/kl/34-SK ... mbay-1967/

some wonderful concerts , some breathtaking moments during thani ,,,,, vintage sankaran sir... enjoy..

Arvind...

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Why can not MA honour a musicologist this time in par with prof Sambamoorthy. IMO Dr. BM. Sundaram deserves SK this year.

Thanjavoran

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Last edited by raghavt on 17 Jun 2009, 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

How about an equally longstanding & prominent vidwan as TS - Guruvayur Dorai? Or the nonagenarian S.Rajam (but he has already received the Samgita Kala Acharya)

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

nick H wrote:Oh...

I just realised...

Looks like I have taken my place in the Rasikas.org hall of infamy --- bys starting this year's SK controversy!

<Blush> :lol:
you sure did. Your legacy to fame etched in gold.
Last edited by VK RAMAN on 16 Jun 2009, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

kadambam

Post by kadambam »

Just like we have the Grand Slams in Summer, this is in someway the Grand "Slam" time for CM. At least half a dozen musicians will be slammed before and after the announcement.

For Indians living in US, forecasting the Green Card Visa availability numbers is an exciting activity, and the same level of excitment is present in guessing the SK awardee.So far we have

Trichy Sankaranan
Trichur V Ramachandran
Valayapatti Subramaniam
Sudha Raghunathan
K. J. Yesudas
Lalgudi G. Jayaraman
Karaikudi Mani
VVS
Guruvayur Dorai
S.Rajam

Let's add more to the list!!!!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

nick H wrote:Looks like I have taken my place in the Rasikas.org hall of infamy
Welcome to the exclusive club!
;)

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Brother Rasika kadambam !!! You said it........

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Vidwan Guruvayur Dorai is certainly one of my favourites. :)

@ visaalam
Actually I am a big gyanasoonyam when it comes to percussion in Carnatic music, so I appreciate the accompaniment offered for songs and manodharma a little better than I appreciate tani avartanams as such. Somehow, I feel the actual "exchanges" that take place between the melodic instrumentalist / vocalist and the percussion are best "seen" in a concert or at least a video showing the artists.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Add
ManakkAl rangarAjan
and
Prof TR Subramaniam(ONe needs to put that incident aside he certainly deserves a SK)
nAgai muralidharan
if sudha is there why not Aruna sayeeram

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

What is "that incident"?! :|

kadambam

Post by kadambam »

Why not TMK? He is performing for almost 2 decades. Didn't BMK/SSI get the SK in their 30's?
Academy will definitely strike a chord with Gen X.

ts

Post by ts »

Prof S R Janakiraman and Smt. Kalpakam Swaminathan are my favourites. Both have already received Sangita Kala Acharya awards but this should not prevent them from getting an SK.