Sangitha Kalanidhi 2009

Carnatic Musicians
VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

In that include moorsing too.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Oh, that is a good point. Surely upapakkavadya artistes should be honoured too?

rajumds

Post by rajumds »

srikant1987 wrote:
Update: Vidwan Doreswamy Iyengar (awarded in '84) was a vainika too.
1992 - K.P Sivanandam was the last vainika to get SK

kadambam

Post by kadambam »

Trichy Sankaranan
Trichur V Ramachandran
Valayapatti Subramaniam
Sudha Raghunathan
K. J. Yesudas
Lalgudi G. Jayaraman
Karaikudi Mani
VVS
Guruvayur Dorai
S.Rajam
ManakkAl rangarAjan
Prof TR Subramaniam
nAgai muralidharan
Aruna sayeeram
Prof S R Janakiraman
Smt. Kalpakam Swaminathan
Veena Gayathree
Ms. A Kanyakumari
Sri.KalyAnapuram ArAvamudhAchAriAr
Thanjavur Smt. Kamala Murthy
Bombay Sisters,
Rama Ravi,
Charumathi Ramachandran,
Suguna Purushottaman,
Parassala Ponnammal

Just an update on the Nominee Roster, 25 so far,

Moderators, is it possible to conduct a poll?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Mandolin U Srinivas
Kadri Gopinath
Guitar Prasanna
Ganesh Kumaresh
Kanjira Purushottaman
GhaTaM vinayakram
Keyboard Satya

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I would be happy if one of the 3 mridangam giants - TS, Dorai or Karaikudi Mani get the award. Trichy Sankaran is a giant, no doubt, whether NRI or not. Someone from the Palani school (either him or Dorai) should get the award.

Parassala, TRS & Manakkal are equally likely contenders.

Mandolin Srinivas, Ganesh Kumaresh, Aruna, Charumathi, Trichur, Sudha & KJY appear to be among the most unlikely people to get it. Keyboard Satya???

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

^^^

Well, Charumathi and Trichur (Ramachandran, if you meant him) become likelier if you consider the "vocalist year" thing.
Last edited by srikant1987 on 20 Jun 2009, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

is Sangeetha kalanidhi conferred posthumously too?

arasi

Post by arasi »

When there are so many deserving musicians still on the waiting list who live among us, why think of giving the award posthumously?
In fact, giving two awards, one for a vocalist and the other for an instrumentalist every year would mean less time of waiting for many deserving vidvAns :)
Last edited by arasi on 20 Jun 2009, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

rbharath wrote:

also, i think R Anantakrishna Sarma who was awarded SK in '74 was a harikatha artist too. not sure of this though.
SangIta kalAnidhi rALLapalli AnantakrSNa sarmA was many things - A linguist;Scholar in Sanskrit, several prAkrits, telugu,kannaDa; a musician, teacher of music, tunesmith, critic, poet, playwright, translator,orientalist; historian, almost pontiff of the mysore parakAla muTT(was offered, politely refused..), expert at peeling an orange, with the peel coming all out in one piece; and very likely manymore things; but was not a harikathA exponent..

see http://sites.google.com/site/rallapallisharma/ for details..

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

srikant1987 wrote:Well, Charumathi and Trichur (Ramachandran, if you meant him) become likelier if you consider the "vocalist year" thing.
What is the meaning of "vocalist year" thing?

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

arasi wrote:When there are so many deserving musicians still on the waiting list who live among us, why think of giving the award posthumously?
In fact, giving two awards, one for a vocalist and the other for an instrumentalist every year would mean less time of waiting for many deserving vidvAns :)
Celebrate the living legends and may the rest of the souls live in peace!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

keerthi, that is a great punch line!! :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, VKokilam, very impressive--but not surprising. Many creative artistes are artistic in their expression in every day life too. Enjoying the finer things in life does not mean living a lavish life. To savor a good cuisine, doing ordinary things with flair, like peeling an orange in one long ribbon-with zeal, and may I say, zest?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

What is so great there? I know of several vidvaans who could polish off several oranges in just one sitting :)

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

@ srkris

For the past many years, they've been awarding a vocalist, followed by a percussionist, followed by a melodic instrumentalist, and then another similar cycle: vocalist, percussionist, melodic instrumentalist.

Last year Shri AKC Natarajan was awarded, and the year before last, Late Shri Palghat Raghu was awarded (thankfully they didn't delay awarding him for next round, or he might've never received it!) So this year is supposed to be a vocalist's turn ... though we indeed find QUITE A FEW very deserving instrumentalists (percussion and melody).

arasi

Post by arasi »

So, I wonder again. Why not give one for a vocalist every year and give one to an instrumentalist too, making it a different instrument every year?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

What about 33% ?
:)

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I like the idea of one vocalist and one instrumentalist being awarded every year. We have so many deserving candidates.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I think the proportion of instrumentalists needs to be increased a bit, since it is believed that the average age at which instrumentalists get the award has been greater in general. One vocalist and one instrumentalist (melodic / percussion) every year will only give vocalists even more representation (50% as against the present 33%).
Last edited by srikant1987 on 21 Jun 2009, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

arasi wrote:Enjoying the finer things in life does not mean living a lavish life. To savor a good cuisine, doing ordinary things with flair, like peeling an orange in one long ribbon-with zeal, and may I say, zest?

:) :)

In light of the 'zestful' remarks about one kalAnidhi each for vocalists and instrumentalists; I hope the 33% reservation comments are 'just' in 'jest', or we may have reservations about the idea...

And how come no dancer after bAlasaraswathi got the SK.. Did they decide that they won't do it.. Surely there isn't a dearth of dancers well-versed in the gIta-vAdya-nrtya aspects of their art..

DhanammAL went to dance recitals even after she turned blind, just to listen to PandAinallur MInAkSi sundaram Pillai sing.. The seperation, and non-interaction of the musicians and dancers doesn't bode well for the future of both art forms..

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

any updates so far :) ????

davalangi

Post by davalangi »

cmlover wrote:What about 33% ?
:)
CML - Was this in reference to "Mumbai Express"? :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Actually I was thinking of the political debate going on for the 33% reservations for women. Since women are totally under represented among the SKs perhaps it is time to foreclose before women get organized! (arasi can get the ball rolling with an awareness campaign :)

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

cmlover wrote: Keyboard Satya
Seriously???

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

They have to give it to the Bombay Sisters. They are really deserving and have waited for a long time!

arasi

Post by arasi »

When he gets to be a seriouly senior vidvAn--after many years?

johnlovescm

Post by johnlovescm »

srinivasrgvn wrote:They have to give it to the Bombay Sisters. They are really deserving and have waited for a long time!
Aruna Sairam is much more deserving artist than the Sisters. Listen to her Abhangs and thillanas, they are AWESOME

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

johnlovescm wrote:
srinivasrgvn wrote:They have to give it to the Bombay Sisters. They are really deserving and have waited for a long time!
Aruna Sairam is much more deserving artist than the Sisters. Listen to her Abhangs and thillanas, they are AWESOME
Yea because renditions of abhangs and thillanas are the criteria for awarding SK :P

I wouldnt at all mind seeing bombay sisters get it,
Id love to see kalpagam swaminathan, prof srj, trivadrum venkatraman ect.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

HNbhagavan of Bangalore
My candidates are Rudrapatnam Brothers.

They richly deserve the award and are senior vidwans.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Trichur Ramachandran

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Rasika911 wrote:
johnlovescm wrote:
Yea because renditions of abhangs and thillanas are the criteria for awarding SK :P

I wouldnt at all mind seeing bombay sisters get it,
Id love to see kalpagam swaminathan, prof srj, trivadrum venkatraman ect.
Smt.Kalpakam Swaminathan has already received the 'sangeetha kalA AchArya' award way back in 2002! I don't think a person can receive 2 awards. I am really unsure. Can anybody confirm?

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

johnlovescm wrote:
Well, john!
Aruna Sairam will definitely get the SK one day, I hope. But, that will take many more decades! She is such an excellent singer, but I wish she appealed to the purists a bit more. She does know a lot of rare compositions that the purists will crave for, but she never sings them. She repeats the same songs in concerts. If she corrects herself in these aspects, she will appeal equally to purists and pragmatists.

johnlovescm

Post by johnlovescm »

srinivasrgvn wrote:
johnlovescm wrote:
Well, john!
Aruna Sairam will definitely get the SK one day, I hope. But, that will take many more decades! She is such an excellent singer, but I wish she appealed to the purists a bit more. She does know a lot of rare compositions that the purists will crave for, but she never sings them. She repeats the same songs in concerts. If she corrects herself in these aspects, she will appeal equally to purists and pragmatists.
Purists are hypocrites in my opinion. What is pure and not pure!
It is our own thinking

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Yes, John, I agree with you.
Purity is one's own scale. What is impure in music? Nothing!
Even I am a great fan of Smt.Aruna Sayeeram. One of the greatest, by far!
I am saying this for her benefit, of course. An artiste has to appeal to all, john. Appealing only to normal people, or pAmara janam is not enough. Even the people who want deeper music should be satisfied, don't they? As I said, Smt.Aruna knows such a lot of compositions, her repertoire is indeed large. But, she has to utilize it to the maximum extent so that everybody is satisfied. If everybody is satisfied only, there will be more recognition for her! She is indeed one of the best singers today, but some criticize her because her concerts are a bit diluted. I never say this! I am merely quoting others. That's all. No offense meant to the artiste nor anybody else. =)

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

srinivasrgvn wrote:Yes, John, I agree with you.
Purity is one's own scale. What is impure in music? Nothing!
Even I am a great fan of Smt.Aruna Sayeeram. One of the greatest, by far!
I am saying this for her benefit, of course. An artiste has to appeal to all, john. Appealing only to normal people, or pAmara janam is not enough. Even the people who want deeper music should be satisfied, don't they? As I said, Smt.Aruna knows such a lot of compositions, her repertoire is indeed large. But, she has to utilize it to the maximum extent so that everybody is satisfied. If everybody is satisfied only, there will be more recognition for her! She is indeed one of the best singers today, but some criticize her because her concerts are a bit diluted. I never say this! I am merely quoting others. That's all. No offense meant to the artiste nor anybody else. =)
When aruna sairam was singing rare heavy compositions, she was singing to herself in empty halls which is perhaps why she has changed her style.
Johnlovescm, all music is pure. But when one goes to listen to a kutcheri they go with certain expectations. Seeing one ragam rendered briefly followed by a list of thukkudas dont fulfill these expectations. I am not refering to any artiste in particular. It is not nice when u see a small krithis taken for a main or when u see chakkani raja sund with 2 sangathis.

Jigyaasa

Post by Jigyaasa »

johnlovescm wrote:
In the social networking website, Facebook, they have a provision whereby someone can "like" an action performed by someone else, say, like a new photo posted or a comment made. I wish there was a "dislike" option available here which I could exercise right now (each person is entitled to an opinion of their own and there isn't always a necessity to explain it, like this instance) Even then, comparing the Bombay Sisters and Smt Sairam. Lol... And goin further to say the latter deserves it more than the former, rofl!!!

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

I like ur idea. A like and dislike button will be a good idea.
One problem is that it will become a popularity poll of sorts and aruna sairam will win hands down lol.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

johnlovescm wrote:
I am not quoting to cook up controversies. But, can anybody tell me if Smt.Aruna has sung any thillana other than the kAlinga nardhana thillAna? This is a genuine doubt. I have never heard her sing any other thillAna. Once again, I repeat, this is a genuine doubt. I am not asking a rhetoric question. =)

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

My vote is for Mankkal Rangarajan, before it is too late. He is the senior most among deserving vocalists in the lists above, with the exception of S.Rajam, who has been awarded AchArya award already.

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

srinivasrgvn wrote: Aruna Sairam will definitely get the SK one day, I hope. But, that will take many more decades! She is such an excellent singer, but I wish she appealed to the purists a bit more. She does know a lot of rare compositions that the purists will crave for, but she never sings them. She repeats the same songs in concerts. If she corrects herself in these aspects, she will appeal equally to purists and pragmatists.
I remember attending her concerts 2000-2002 at Hamsadhwani, KGS etc. with turnouts of maybe 100 rasikas or less. Unthinkable today!!! I last attended a 2007 season NGS concert which was a near-stampede, and although the approach was different, the parts I liked were very satisfying. :)

The problem with appealing to purists is, we don't know who they are...the mantle in different contexts is donned by the connoisseurs, the tone-deaf, and also the "burning-stomach" cases. At least pleasing the crowds is a more deterministic/definable/quantifiable goal.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

One thing I spotted was someone mentioned talking during the concert. That's definitely makes things interesting, and could be even informative.

Radhika-Rajnarayan

Post by Radhika-Rajnarayan »

Is there a ban on awarding the SK to S Rajam because he already has got the Kala Acharya? I think that his reputation as a teacher has eclipsed his virtuosity and sheer musical artistry. So what?
Even if it is not awarded to S Rajam, the SK should be awarded to someone really deserving of the title, (look at the meaning of the words 'Sangeetha Kalanidhi'!) not because of State or Gender or vocal / instrument 'quotas' or 'seniority'. This is not a promotion / post in a Government office! We, as a nation are quota and seniority minded, and therefore compromise on excellence and merit in almost every field.
The committee should not look at popularity as a benchmark either. If they do, then they might as well descend to 'Indian Idol' or other 'Super Singer' shows and start the 'SMS voting' stunt!

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

Aruna Sairam is a Brilliant Musician. She has a very unique voice, tremendous talent, and a capacity to thrill the audience and hold them spellbound..

She enriches Carnatic Music, and has contributed a lot to it's popularity.

Whatever her faults in singing may be(which some so called connosieurs or 'burning stomach' cases like to point out) They are insignificant in comparison to the brilliancy she brings to the art of singing and the efforts to promote this great music of South India.

vallaki

Post by vallaki »

I Love Bombay Sisters too.

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

Any update who is INDEED getting the award this time???

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

Radhika-Rajnarayan wrote: The committee should not look at popularity as a benchmark either. If they do, then they might as well descend to 'Indian Idol' or other 'Super Singer' shows and start the 'SMS voting' stunt!
I am not sure the comparison is tenable. SMS voting is a far cry from crowds queueing up for tickets, flocking to a concert in rush-hour Chennai traffic, and after that risking personal injury in a stampede etc. I do not think Carnatic audiences deserve any condescension or contempt. Without the "masses" (if the dwindling tribe may be termed as such), CM would be DEAD.

Certainly popularity is not the only benchmark, but to dismiss it as one is strange...which absolutely mediocre performer has become a sensation in your opinion? As far as I know, all musicians who gained real popularity deserved it. In fact, using popularity as a sole benchmark would probably result in fewer crazy choices even at the price of a few sad omissions. Popularity is a relatively well-defined indicator; it gives you some information, maybe inadequate, but finite, non-zero amount of information. Subjective opinions/criteria can give you "negative" (mis)information. Anyone privy to the workings of committees will be familiar with this. Unanimity is rare as is the absence of vested interests and in some cases even personal animosities.

As the thread deals with the "SK": some prominent deserving musicians who were denied in the past would surely have got it based on popularity. MDR, is often (mistakenly?) mentioned in this forum as an unpopular performer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the year before his passing, wouldn't he actually have got it based on popularity instead of.... ?

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

Radhika-Rajnarayan wrote:Is there a ban on awarding the SK to S Rajam because he already has got the Kala Acharya? I think that his reputation as a teacher has eclipsed his virtuosity and sheer musical artistry. So what?
Even if it is not awarded to S Rajam, the SK should be awarded to someone really deserving of the title, (look at the meaning of the words 'Sangeetha Kalanidhi'!) not because of State or Gender or vocal / instrument 'quotas' or 'seniority'. This is not a promotion / post in a Government office! We, as a nation are quota and seniority minded, and therefore compromise on excellence and merit in almost every field.
The committee should not look at popularity as a benchmark either. If they do, then they might as well descend to 'Indian Idol' or other 'Super Singer' shows and start the 'SMS voting' stunt!
Hello, hello! If you were referring to my post, I was never telling the SK should not be given to people who already the possess the SKA! I just asked if such a person is eligible! It was a doubt, that's all! Cool down!

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

vallaki wrote:Aruna Sairam is a Brilliant Musician. She has a very unique voice, tremendous talent, and a capacity to thrill the audience and hold them spellbound..

She enriches Carnatic Music, and has contributed a lot to it's popularity.

Whatever her faults in singing may be(which some so called connosieurs or 'burning stomach' cases like to point out) They are insignificant in comparison to the brilliancy she brings to the art of singing and the efforts to promote this great music of South India.
Yes, the purists are a bunch of critiques who never appreciate true talent. They will create notions stressing that the artistes of the past were the only pure musicians! I am always against purists. But still, appealing to all is important. I don't think any musician of the present age can appeal to purists. Purists tend to find out one mistake or the other in every artiste!

As you said, the significant contribution made by Smt.Aruna Sairam to the Carnatic Music world is itself enough to neglect all the small dissatisfaction. She is one of the global musicians who has represented our country in many international festivals. We must be proud of her. Receiving the 'Sangeetha Kalanidhi' is not the greatest thing in the world!

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

going by arasi's idea, it is probably a good move for the MA to consider having 2 ppl chair the conference each year. A vocalist and an instrumentalist. Or in case of siblings, they both could do it.

Actually, in the present system of turns, the vocalists have a 33% reservation, while the non-percussion instruments and percussion instruments have 33% each. Which i think is fair and should not be disturbed.

There are many deserving instrumentalists, accepted. There are equally good number of vocalists too in the waiting list. Hence, unless academy decides to amend its rules to have 2 ppl awarded each year, it is better to follow the present system and that way, all sections of the musicians are taken care off. I dont think they should increase the quota for instrumentalists from its present state.

The reservation for vocalist is already just one-third only. lets not reduce it further.

Also, its time they started to recognise and honour dancers.

Smt. (Kumari) Kamala has been waiting to get honoured since decades now. She should have been given the Kalanidhi ages and ages ago.

MA should consider giving some recognition to them. may be institute another award during their dance series, and let somebody chair the dance festival and be awarded with a Nritya Kalanidhi or something...