Sangitha Kalanidhi 2009

Carnatic Musicians
coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

The Sangeetha Kalanidhi is specifically for those who practise music, not for dancers. Its also not for teachers/gurus of music. The main purpose of the award is to honor significant performers who have added value to the world of classical music by their performances.

Hence the suggestion to include dancers in the SK fray seems to be non-intuitive.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

skris - IIRC T Balasaraswathi got it and she was a dancer wasn't she?

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

srkris wrote:The Sangeetha Kalanidhi is specifically for those who practise music, not for dancers. Its also not for teachers/gurus of music. The main purpose of the award is to honor significant performers who have added value to the world of classical music by their performances.

Hence the suggestion to include dancers in the SK fray seems to be non-intuitive.
Don't make such categorical comments without research.. Each one of those comments is/can be proved wrong by the history of the kalAnidhi..

1929 T. V. Subba Rao, T. S. Sabesha Iyer and M. S. Ramaswamy Iyer
1930 Harikesanallur Muthiah Bhagavatar and T. V. Subba Rao

How many people remember sri.subba rao for his contribution as a performer.. his seminal contributions are towards rAga lakshana and the comprehension of several musicological concepts.

1933 K. Ponnayya Pillai

How many have heard Ponnaiah pillaivAL perform on stage..? his contribution was as a teacher of music at annAmalai, and as a nAtyAcharya..

1935 Mysore K. Vasudevacharya

Is vAsudevAcharya remebered for his concerts or is he remembered for his musical compositions, writings and teachings..?

1963 Budalur Krishnamurthi Sastrigal and 1969 Madurai Srirangam Iyer both are renown more for their quality as teachers than for concert performances..

1971 Papanasam Sivan
"The main purpose of the award is to honor significant performers who have added value to the world of classical music by their performances. ..?"

1972 Professor P. Sambamoorthy - see above..??

1973 T. Balasaraswati - Listen to that recording of bAlA singing kriSNA nI, look at bharata's definition of sangItam in the nAtya sAstra, and look at the motto printed in every issue of the academy's journal - Santatam pAhi mAm sangItasyAmalE.. Not gAnasyAmaLe..

1974 R. Anantakrishna Sarma - for his contributions towards the rAga laksaNas, critical edition and notation of AnnamAchArya's songs.. Taught and wrote about several aspects of music..

1982 Embar S. Vijayaraghavachariar - Was a harikathA vidwan

1983 Dr. S. Pinakapani - Known for publishing excellent notations of several hundred krthis, several pada-s and upto 100 traditional pallavis. Trained and taught VolEti, nUkala Chinna satyanArAyana, Srirangam gOpAlaratnam, nEdanUri, HyderabAd brothers and mallAdi sUri bAbu, while practising and teaching medicine full-time..

It will be a great loss to the music world if we alienate ourselves from the field of dance.. Several pada-s, swarajati-s and varNA-s have already dissapeared, due to the lack of good singers to perpetuate them..

Performers represent a significant but small percentage of those who help in the preservation and growth of music.. It is a disturbing trend that, while the old committees have recognised this, the later ones seem to have srkris' axiom as their mantra..
rbharat wrote:going by arasi's idea, it is probably a good move for the MA to consider having 2 ppl chair the conference each year. A vocalist and an instrumentalist. Or in case of siblings, they both could do it.
2002 Sikkil Sisters (Neela & Kunjumani) sets a precedent..
Last edited by keerthi on 16 Jul 2009, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I am sorry if I have offended people by expressing my understanding (or misunderstanding) of the nature of the SK award.

My understanding is it is mainly for performers of saMgItam (music ensemble as in a concert setting) as opposed to even gItam or nAtyam.

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

MaheshS wrote:skris - IIRC T Balasaraswathi got it and she was a dancer wasn't she?
Incidentally, she was a good singer too. I will try to upload some recordings.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

srkris wrote:My understanding is it is mainly for performers of saMgItam (music ensemble as in a concert setting) as opposed to even gItam or nAtyam.
Thanks srkris. I did not realize that is what sangItam actually means.

Strictly speaking gItam does not include percussion, right?

Based on the stats keerthi provided, in that 50 years, 12 people were awarded SK, not for sangItam but for other related things. That is a good 20% deviation. So MA itself does not adhere to that strict definition.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

srkris wrote:I am sorry if I have offended people by expressing my understanding (or misunderstanding) of the nature of the SK award.
srkris,

My intention was not to pull you up.. Looking back at my post, I seem to have vent some spleen on what is one of my pet peeves, and I probably should have been less critical..

the academy began, I believe, with the natya-SAstra definition of sangIta -

'gItam nrtyam tathA vAdyaM etat sangItam ucyatE'

this translates to - sangIta comprises of music, dance/dramAtic expression and instrumental performance.

Over time, the attitudes of the Meccademy have changed...

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

'gItam nrtyam tathA vAdyaM etat sangItam ucyatE' - That is a good explanation and srkris and keerthi are both level headed and willing to admit their process of learning.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Absolutely. Count me in as one who cares for KSG.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

I also do!

vasanthakokilam

A highly satisfying performance of Koluva Maragada by KSG is here: http://sangeethamshare.org/tvg/UPLOADS- ... NAN_FLUTE/ As is sometimes done, he joins the mridangamist on the final 3-peat of the Korvai. A liltte snippet of the common aesthetics of kalpanaswarams and thani reveals itself.

prashant

Post by prashant »

Count me in for Sri KSG... an incredibly gifted artiste.

appu

Post by appu »

Shri KSG has had a hiatus from music for a long time. As a dear friend and a long time colleague, I am happy to say that he has decided to pick up his flute again. His first performance will be in Kerala next month. Welcome back to the music world vidwan Shri KSG. Hopefully you will consider performing in Chennai too.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Errr....

When do they announce it?

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

KSG- He is a genius!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

coolkarni wrote:Nick Is getting impatient or worked up about this :) :D
I am indeed... Do I get to blush or gloat? :lol:

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

very heartening to see a Tavil vidwan get the honours.. really a deserving person...

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

coolkarni wrote:Anyone here, cares for a great Practitioner called KS Gopalkrishnan ?
Here atleast, if not at the Academy and Chennai Sabha Circles.
defly yes.

however, KSG has taken a personal decision to not perform at madras. If only he reconsiders his stand...

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

appu wrote:Shri KSG has had a hiatus from music for a long time. As a dear friend and a long time colleague, I am happy to say that he has decided to pick up his flute again. His first performance will be in Kerala next month. Welcome back to the music world vidwan Shri KSG. Hopefully you will consider performing in Chennai too.
yes, i do hope he considers to perform in madras... iit music club would love to have him perform for us..

Member_First

Post by Member_First »

B'coz of the coveted support from the CM of Tamil Nadu, Valayapatti gets SK !!

108talas

Post by 108talas »

'gItam nrtyam tathA vAdyaM etat sangItam ucyatE'

Conversely, in the pooja procedures, it says ' gItam samarpayAmi', vADyam samarpAymi', 'nrtyam samarpayAmi', making three segments seperately, individually.
Last edited by 108talas on 21 Jul 2009, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Member_First wrote:B'coz of the coveted support from the CM of Tamil Nadu, Valayapatti gets SK !!
so what if the MA decides to act in favour of the Government. it has in the past acted to the wims and fancies of many organisations and individuals. and for various coveted reasons known to public and otherwise, people have got the SK, some of them much early in their musical carrier or way past their best, and some of them have been totally ignored.

all that apart, i think we should all appreciate the fact that MA has acted in a fashion that is a good jesture to honour an instrument which has not been honoured at all in the past. The nadasvaram-thavil tradition needs to be given the support and solidarity which they jolly well deserve. And if it is decided that a thavil vidwan should be awarded with the SK, then it is but obvious that Sri Subramanian would be the automatic choice. He is probably the most famous of his generation and seniormost amongst those available with us today.

It is my personal opinion that Sri Subramanian is defly a deserving person. Also, it is very heartening to see the Academy thinking out-of-the-box in choosing to honour musicians.

Member_First

Post by Member_First »

B'coz of the coveted support from the CM of Tamil Nadu, Valayapatti gets SK !!

Mr. Bharat - Here I meant CM - Carnatic Music and you opened another pendora box !!

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Member_First wrote:B'coz of the coveted support from the CM of Tamil Nadu, Valayapatti gets SK !!

Mr. Bharat - Here I meant CM - Carnatic Music and you opened another pendora box !!
carnatic music of tamil nadu?
now, whats that...

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

rbharath wrote:
so what if the MA decides to act in favour of the Government.

but obvious that Sri Subramanian would be the automatic choice. He is probably the most famous of his generation and seniormost amongst those available with us today.

It is my personal opinion that Sri Subramanian is defly a deserving person.
The connection of N. Murali of Hindu with Maran family and thus DMK govt is clear. So, there is an influence of CM on Music Academy and Hindu. I have stopped reading Hindu as a newspaper due to its supposedly "secular" leanings.

Meccademy made a big deal of Musiri centennial and the influence of CV Narasimhan was evident that year. There were SKs, who were able to pull strings here and there and exceptions to the rule were made.

This year happens to be GNB centennial and it is a pity, Trichur Ramachandran is not given the award. Seniority is also not an issue, TNS and TVS are younger to Trichur Ramachandran and they have been SK already.

As I mentioned in another thread, SK award to a Tavil artist is very nice. First, I am not convinced that Valayappati is the right person. Secondly, I think this year, GNB centennial should have been Trichur Ramachandran.
Last edited by annamalai on 21 Jul 2009, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

balu

Post by balu »

going by the trend next year wecan expect drums sivamani to be awarded the sk.or mr zakir hussain the tabla wizard to get .long live cm.

sivachinta1965

Post by sivachinta1965 »

dear annamalaiji

Great news. You have stopped reading the Hindu. We should call that paper as A"hindu"

Sivaprasad

Anaconda

Post by Anaconda »

Congratulations to Sri Valayapatti....

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Is this official or yet another joke!
What happens to the little bird who whispered to Nick :)

raghavt

Post by raghavt »

So Mr, Nick.... the award goes to.............. any way thanks to you for starting this thread... :D

108talas

Post by 108talas »

Valayapatti is close to Trichy only... Great CM performers have to still wait.

Like calmed wave
Like lion in cave
Face further with brave
Lastly, his(S)tory will crave...

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 27 Aug 2009, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.

vpadmana

Post by vpadmana »

Lalgudi was offered and declined the SK several times in the past. He will not accept it while he is alive.

Rasika911

Post by Rasika911 »

Whats the difference between Sangeetha kalanidhi and Sangeetha Acharya?
Last edited by Rasika911 on 15 Oct 2009, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

Rasika911 wrote:Whats the difference between Sangeetha kalanidhi and Sangeetha Acharya?
My understanding is that Nidhi is for performers and Acharya is for teachers (as opposed to on-stage talent). However if you study the list of awardees over the years you will see many a switch. Sangita Kalacharya Sandyavandanam Srinivasa Rao for instance was a quality performer if ever there was one, with his superb voice culture in evidence even in his advanced years. On the other hand there are some Kalanidhi awardees whose vidhwath and pedantry probably exceeded their performing skills (not meant in any pejorative sense!). Kalacharya is also awarded I guess as a consolation prize to great performers who do not have the clout to get the more sought after title. Bottom line I guess is, the definition or difference probably is a function of the voting members of the time, the claimants and perhaps a least-squares fitting process etc. to minimise heartburn or some other metric.

diogeneb

Post by diogeneb »

My vote is for Shri T.V. Gopalakrishnan. Not only is TVG an outstanding mridangam player, who charted out his own style, but a versatile vocalist as well, both in the Carnatic and Hindustani idioms. To top it, he also has to his credit a book (books?) on voice culture, and has been a voice culture coach for many prominent musicians. Ever an underrated musician, IMHO.
Last edited by diogeneb on 03 Dec 2009, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

What are we voting for now, next year already? :lol:

But, I couldn't agree more about TVG both as a mridangist and a vocalist.

Svaapana

Post by Svaapana »

It is time MA started looking at the younger generation of musicians, say in the age group of 40 - 50 for the SK title. Will it not be nice to see someone at their peak getting the award? MA need not bother using magnifying glass to search for artistes past their best and even stopped performing!

mohan

Post by mohan »

Svaapana wrote:It is time MA started looking at the younger generation of musicians, say in the age group of 40 - 50 for the SK title.
Why? Are there not enough senior musicians worthy of the title but who have not been recognised in the past?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It is a simple fact of the finite nature of life that young musicians have decades of chances ahead of them, whilst older persons do not.

Svaapana

Post by Svaapana »

Mohan,
It is heartening to note that the tamil isai sangham has chosen a relatively young and an active performing musician for this year's award.

lahari

Post by lahari »

Couldnt agree with Mr. Annamalai more.

The Daily could stop calling themselves, "The Hindu" and instead find an appropriate one based on its
"secular" and leftist leanings.

bhavarasa

Post by bhavarasa »

I didn't realize "secular" was bad - particularly for a media organization.

Also, back in the 90s, there was an editorial from "The Hindu" clarifying their name. The essence was that though it started out as a predominantly Hindu newspaper, it had since morphed into a more secular newspaper and while the original name did signify religious affiliation, the present-day version was not aligned with any one particular religion. But, it said, it would not be prudent to effect a name change since there was a broader brand recognition based on that name.

A mainstream newspaper (or any mainstream news organization) should be secular. Anything other than that would be detrimental to democracy.

In any case, I'd rather attach the word "multi-cultural" than secular to The Hindu.

vasanthakokilam

Right. Hindu is like the Christian Science Monitor. Despite what the name may suggest, CSM is not a religious-themed paper. And like the Hindu, a religious article appears in every issue.

A mainstream paper may have/will have political leanings which sometimes overlap with religious matters but that should be the extent of the association with religion.