SuryaprakAsh@Parthasarathi Swami Sabha on Dec 23,2006

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Violin - MA Sundareswaran ,Mridangam - guruvAyoor Durai and Sv Ramani - ghatam

1. ...I was late , heard from a rasika that the first was nAttai.??
2.jAnaki ramana (N S) - sudda seemantani - ThyagarAja
3. saraswati namOstute (R) - saraswati - NS Ramachandran
4. ravi chandra budda neene rAghu ketu - atAna -purandaradAsar

5A. KOluvai unnade - bhairavi - ThyagarAja (55 minutes of R, N and S )
5B. 17 minutes of tani

6. RTP "sAranganai ranganai ninai maname diname brindavana" - 2 rAga RTP (27 minutes of RTP)
7. manadhil urudi vendum - khamAs
?? - durga??
pen viduthalali vendum - sindhubhairavi
man payanura vendum - shuruTTi - subramania bharathi
8. siva peruman kripai vendum - shuruTTi - pApanAsam Sivan

When I entered this concert , I noticed shri VijayaShiva whom I heard him yesterday. I was very happy not to take it as a coincidence , but a reinforcement that me liking both vijayashiva and suryaprakash (Two excellent musicians) is acknowledged .

Brief review
All were nice , especially the "rakta nalina dhala" neraval which was my first experience to hear in a live concert which makes suddaseemantani a sensational composition. I was educated with this rare PD krithi of atAna.

The bhairavi main was brilliant throughout bringing all the flashes of MMI, with the neraval "manasu ranjilla surasatulu" . The way he traversed with full throttle manOdharmam into a long swara sanchAram was excellent.

The biggest surprise to me was this RTP.Starting with a 4 minute alApanai in sAranga and then a 3 minute of Br SAranga, with MAS showing his classy touch (how good he is when you give a hindustani rAga to MAS). tAnam was measured in both rAgas . The interesting pallavi line "sAranganai ranganai ninai maname diname brindavana" was one of the best tight rope walking pallavi.

He used the word sAranganai as a clutch to brake the sAranga and accelerate the brindavana sAranga. . The RTP was excellent with the tri kAlam at the end . The finish with bharathi's song went well, with his shuruTTi number by Sivan giving an excellent 2 1/2 hour concert.

The tani was just good,MAS played well but the nAdham was not perfect. Shri SV Ramani was excellent .
Last edited by rajeshnat on 23 Dec 2006, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

rajeshnat wrote:4. ravi chandra budda neene rAghu ketu - atAna -purandaradAsar
I was educated with this rare PD krithi of atAna.
Rajesh,
This is not so rare - sakala graha bala nInE, sarasijAkshA....Suryaprakash seems to have started with the anupallavI....
Here is a clip of DKP's version from nearly two-and-a-half decades ago:
http://rapidshare.com/files/8667343/14_ ... _aTANA.mp3

That RTP must have been nice!

Ravi

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Tx Ravi, I have heard the sakala graha bala before, just slipped.

What is this funda of especially in atAna krithi ,where they typically start with anupallavi and then go to pallavi.Is it just to save time or has dance got to do with this connection ,eg baalakanakamaya (Elaa nee daya).