R Vedavalli @ NadaInbam, 4/7

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sankark

R Vedavalli @ NadaInbam, 4/7

Post by sankark »

Thanks be to Nick H. Believe he sponsored today's concert; also for the Sri Krishna Sweets sweet/savory package :)

It was an experience that can't be written about, even with thousands of words. So, a simple "Thank You" to RV & team (Sumitra Vocal Support, RKSK Violin, KAP Mridangam & N Guruprasad Ghatam). Without much further ado, here goes the list of songs

mAnasa guruguha - Anandabhairavi - rUpakam - MD (S@manasa). A captivating tempo (slower than what I have heard so far) that enhanced the beauty of the song so much.
kamalAptakula - brndavana sAranga - Adi - T
parama pAvana - pUrvikalyani - Adi - Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar (R NS@parama pavana, sublime NS)
soundararAjam - brndavana sAranga - rUpakam - MD
nenarunci nAnu - malavasri mAlavi - Adi - T - what a contrast compared to the previous slow tempo song, this was in jet speed.
bhajarE rE citta - kalyAni - m cApu - MD (RNS@devIm sakthi, T. Energetic and well appreciated thani)
mAmava pattAbi rAma - manirangu - m cApu - MD
avalOkayE sri gOvindam - kurinji? - Adi - ?
slokam (vandE brndAvana) in sAveri, sahAna, surati followed by pathiki hArathi re - Adi - T
mangalam

ganeshkant

Re: R Vedavalli @ NadaInbam, 4/7

Post by ganeshkant »

Really missed this one since away from Chennai for a week,Two Brin.sAranga and manirangu that too my favourite mAmava,,,My thanks to Nick for arranging such a wondeful concert.

CRama

Post by CRama »

RV's concert sponsored by Nick was an enlightening and enjoyable experience in itself. The start was with Manasguruguha - not with a varnam or a Ganapathi kriti as is normally done. I have observed this trend in her many recent concerts- For eg, Mukhathai kaati in Academy 2010, Meenalochanabrova in Academy 2011, Divakarathanujam in MMI Remembrance day concert and many other recent concerts. The swaras for Anandabhairavi were rendered in two kalams very elaborately and had very interesting and unusual combinations. There were lot of useage of sa ga ma in the place of sagarigama which is normally used in plenty in Anandabhairavi. Poorvikalyani alapana was brief and the alapana was a lead to the pallavi of the kriti wtihout violin interlude.

In yesterday's concert, I felt like she had decided to explore into new vistas within the structural framework of that raga. I felt like this because normally in a concert the length of neraval and swaram will be structured like progressive and then kuraippu if it is there and some structured phrases for certain ragams etc. Yesterday I felt her singing was totally unplanned and unstructured and trying for a different flavour of the ragas presented. The number of avarthanams for neraval were around 20 for Paramapavana Rama - that too with just two phrases- parama pavana rama and papa vimochana- sometimes around only single phrase and also for Bhajare RE chitha at Devi beejodhbhava. I felt like she was travelling througout the entire gamut of the raga with an intention of pushing it beyond frontiers and she greatly succeeded. The swaras and neravals were exquisite and highly enjoyable which revealed the best of aesthetics. Kalyani was the only alapana done elaborately and it was shared by the Guru and the shishya. The Kurinji song was of Narayanatheerthar. Sowkhyam sowkhyam sowkhyam was the theme of yesterday's concert.

Sumithra Vasudev proved her mettle once again. She joined in alapanas and neravals and swarams. RKSreeramkumar, Arun Praksh and Guru Prasanna played their role excellently in embellishing the concert. Thanks to Nick for organising such a wonderful concert.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Two brindavana sarangAs, Wow Wow. I am assuming she must have distinguished the T and MD patantara . I am told many musicians sing kamAlptakula more like brindAvani then brindavana sAranga.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sankark, thank you for the song list. Crama, thank you for that amazing commentary.

Once the music begins, the sponsor becomes just one of the audience :D

However, of course I can't claim that it was just like any other concert: it was a most amazing experience. Almost certainly the most amazing birthday of my life, (except maybe the 0th one!). I am very deeply grateful to Smt Vedavalli and to all the artists, each one a senior in their field. I'm also happy that others were able to share this great music

It is never to be forgotten. Two RV concerts in three days, in total, made it many more times the experience.

Thank you to all who gave wishes, gifts, etc. Thank you to Semmu and Bharat and others who organised the generous presentation of a fruit bowl. The only disadvantage of being involved with all the artists at the end was that I'm sure I missed speaking to a number of friends off-stage.

I am thrilled, delighted, amazed, and humbled by the whole experience. I'm still amazed that Sangita Kalanidhi Smt R Vedavalli, who gives so few concerts in a year, accepted to sing for me, and I am double-amazed that she was amazed that I should be amazed!

It seems that people are surprised at the idea of such a concert. I am surprised that I never thought of it before, and that more music lovers do not. I also learnt another lesson: rather than sitting at home wishing that someone would perform, it is actually possible to be the catalyst that makes it happen! Hats off to all those that actually do.

Of course, regular concert organising must be hard work (hats off again). This was relatively easy, as all I had to do was mention the idea to Raga Sudha Jaya, who greeted it with enthusiasm (nearly a whole year ago), saying, "Of course! We will have RV's concert on July 4th next year!" With her involvement and help, and Smt RV's acceptance, there was nothing left for me to do except get a bit nervous and shy at the start! I am deeply grateful to Smt Jaya for the gift of the hall and presenting the concert under the Naada Inbam flag. Sadly, she has been called away by family responsibilities and was not able to be at this week's concerts herself.

This is beginning to sound like a speech!

My wife said I should do that... thank the artists, etc, from the microphone. I told her, Yes, I can do that, I am actually quite comfortable with a microphone, I will even make people laugh --- but after all I have said and written about speeches at concerts, the members of rasikas.org will never forgive me! :lol:

Last edited by Nick H on 05 Jul 2012, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nick H wrote: I am surprised that I never thought of it before, and that more music lovers do not. I also learnt another lesson: rather than sitting at home wishing that someone would perform, it is actually possible to be the catalyst that makes it happen! Hats off to all those that actually do.
Nick,
Lovely and thought provoking .

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you Nick for your post. So glad to know that you had such a memorable Shastiabdhapoorthi :)
Thank you Sankar and CRama for the reports. What a song list. Would have loved to be present at this concert !

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Nick - it is indeed a wonderful idea, and I hope you are a trail-blazer for many more such celebrations.
Once again, best wishes for many more years filled with divine and blissful music. The concert appears to have been wonderful. Can I ask if it was recorded?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It was, and I have been promised a copy. :)

I just read Crama's learned commentary, and edited my post to thank him and sankark.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Nick, Glad to hear of your birthday concert. Sounds like an amazing concert.
You are very fortunate to have such a good relationship with the senior Vidushi and the Nada Inbam/Ragasudha folks (as they are too to have made your acquaintance).

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mahavishnu,
Nick is known to many at Raga Sudha hall. He even has his favorite seat there!

Thanks to Vedavalli, she seems to have made it a very special day for him by singing so beautifully, even though she had to give one concert after the other..

Thanks to Sankark and CRAma for their reviews and for making Nick happy by being there.

Nick,
Hope the fruits from us rasikas make the sweetness of the day linger on. Being a working day, it was difficult for Bharath and Semmu to dash to the concert in time. To stop for shopping would have meant further delay. Thanks to Padma Srinivasan, she helped us out in making sure that the fruits from rasikas who live far and near reached you. Though she was late, she could listen a bit to the kind of music she loves (a good classical singer that she herself is).

I still regret that the flowers several friends from the forum in the US and Canada had lovingly ordered to be delivered at my first CD release weren't delivered at all to me :( VK and his wife were there, and the bouquet they brought me represented the wishes of others too who took the trouble to greet me with flowers!
Last edited by arasi on 06 Jul 2012, 01:21, edited 1 time in total.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Nick - many (belated) happy returns of the day! Am sure it is a birthday to remember!
Am jealous of the chennai folks that they are able to hear Vid. Vedavalli so often :)
Nick, can you please share the recording either on this forum or on sangeethapriya. Thanks a bunch in advance.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Nick, good to hear your birthday went off very well with your favorite artist's concert. Thanks to CRama and Sankark for the song list and review. Manasa is a favorite of mine and it is soothing to hear it in chowka kalam- and to hear it from a senior artist like RV should have been a Blessing. I don't know if singing two songs in the same ragam is ' in' now. Because I remember hearing somebody sing 2 songs in the same raga. I forgot who sang it or where I heard it. Sri Thyagara's 'Kamalapta Kula' is different than MD's Soundararajam and we can enjoy both styles. Nenarunchi was in Malavi, I thought. Is it Malavasri or are they both the same? Too bad we missed it. Congratulations, Nick on celebrating your Big Day with a Big Bang!

MV

Post by MV »

Nick, Many Happy Returns...
of your Birthday
of the idea of sonsoring a concert
and an RV concert (Never heard her Live)

Have a great year.. filled with CM I'm sure! :grin:

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

MV, you are missing out! Smt. Vedavalli MUST be heard in person.

Thank you all for your reports. Nick, it seems to have been a fabulous birthday. Trust Smt. Vedavalli to make a pUrvikalyANi-kalyANi concert sparkle! ;)

Incidentally, would anyone oblige with a complete songlist of her Sunday concert for Nada Inbam? Thank you.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

Best belated Shastabdhapoorthi wishes to Nick from a soon to be octogenarian ! Do you remember Nick that we first met face to face at Vedavalli's inaugural concert for Music Academy on Dec 15, 2011, and again in the Rasikas meet. An excellent way to celebrate the occasion. SundaraRajan.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

Best wishes to Nick. Nice way to celebrate this important day. Only connoisseurs of music usually have these type of events.

I heard the last concert Semmangudi performed was for the Sadhabhisekam of Tanjore Ananda lodge Kittappa, who was a connoisseur, patron. Kittappa was also quite close to many musicians GNB, Semamangudi and others. There is a funny incident in which Kittappa had mentioned to Sangeetha Kalanidhi GNB that he need not have sung an alapana of Margahindolam before Chalamelara Saketharama.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Sundara Rajan wrote:Best belated Shastabdhapoorthi wishes to Nick from a soon to be octogenarian ! Do you remember Nick that we first met face to face at Vedavalli's inaugural concert for Music Academy on Dec 15, 2011, and again in the Rasikas meet. An excellent way to celebrate the occasion. SundaraRajan.
I remember very well meeting and talking to you at the MA and meeting you and you're charming rasika niece. I could not guess that your seniority is all of two two decades; best wishes for your next twenty years and more.

Seeing more responses and wishes coming in is taking my birthday into its third day. Airtel is struggling to find and repair a major fault. Until they do, I shall keep quiet. Posting from the phone is hard work!

Smt. Vedavalli touches heart and soul the moment she opens her mouth, and holds them for every second of the concert. I believe this could be felt even by a first-timer. The enormous scholarship and intellectual content of her music ...perhaps I might begin to understand in a couple more decades.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Nick H wrote:It was, and I have been promised a copy. :)
Nick, did you get one and if so can you share it on sangeethapriya? Thx.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Smt Jaya is still out of Chennai. I will not get to see her until next month, so I must be patient.

When I do see her, I'll also ask whether I should feel free to share or not. Maybe I have to ask Smt Vedavalli herself. As far as I am concerned, all may share, but the last thing I would want to do is to upset the artists.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

arasi wrote:Nick,
Hope the fruits from us rasikas make the sweetness of the day linger on. Being a working day, it was difficult for Bharath and Semmu to dash to the concert in time. To stop for shopping would have meant further delay. Thanks to Padma Srinivasan, she helped us out in making sure that the fruits from rasikas who live far and near reached you. Though she was late, she could listen a bit to the kind of music she loves (a good classical singer that she herself is).
It's rather late now, but did I ever say a proper thanks to this? To all who contributed, bought and brought, and to Bharat and Semmu for the presentation ... Thank You!

I still feel the presents/presence of the concert. I hope I will always!