Pallavi Darbar 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sivaramakrishnan

Pallavi Darbar 2017

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Carnatica & Parthasarathy swami Sabha organised the annual Pallavi Darbar from 15 to 19 July 2017 at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Chennai.

I request forumites who have attended the events to post their views/ observations / comments on the RTP sessions for the benefit of Rasikas.

I could attend only the inaugural session. YouTube, as of now, carries only the first two days' programmes.

As many would have seen, the introductory session on the first day anchored by Sri N Ravikiran and Smt RS Jayalakshmi was very informative.

Nick H

Re: Pallavi Darbar 2017

Post by Nick H »

Forgive me if I am getting confused with an entirely different event, but didn't Pallavi Darbar used to be... a series of RTP concerts?

Now it has become "conceptualised and curated" into a few concerts plus jams and competition. What's wrong with that, people may ask, and... well, I guess nothing is wrong with it really, except that pseud-hype words rub me up the wrong way to begin with!

All that and... I confess that I did not actually go to any of the major concerts. Two of them I would not have gone to anyway, but there were artists I would like to have seen. I suspect that the jam sessions, curated or not, would have been very worthwhile. Did anyone go?

I saw just one of the youngsters, Keerthanar Shankar from USA, because I have come to know here (Her father used to be a forumite.) Despite the daunting experience of the presence of judges, she sang very nicely. Some trouble with a korvai is neither here nor there in the scheme of the whole performance. Perhaps the competitive element encourages participants to choose ambitious calculations? And perhaps it makes them harder to execute on the spot. Never mind: seasoned artists sometimes miscalculate. Even mridangists. Keerthana had several concerts in December '16. She will be back again this season and is worth watching.

I wish I had seen Rathipriya, a 9.00am concert.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

So far I managed to hear Rathipriya ( Dhanyasi RTP - right?) yesterday. Good show - good effort! Questions on the kARvai preceding the arudhi, being 8 version 6 ( 3-ish) were interesting ones from the judges - they were being the strict school teachers in insisting that, that be not converted to 5 + 3 etc.

Sivaramakrishnan

From what I have observed / understood, 'Jamming' provides you sort of freedom which is however governed by certain principles. In this context the RTP jams might have been quite entertaining.
The curator has now a duty to opine whether the jams lived up to his conceptualisation!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Curators are highly qualified people whose daily work is mostly keeping beetles and other parasites away from museum and art collections. Not people who organise concerts (or sell household furnishings, as I read in The Hindu the other day; it's the trendy word of the times). Aren't we actually trying to keep carnatic music out of the museum? :twisted: :lol:

Oh, well, apart of course from archiving. our friend Coolji, for instance, is certainly a curator. In a big way.

I can imagine how any of the turn-taking forms within carnatic music would lend themselves to "jamming." I'm particularly sorry to have missed the jam team that included Brinda, Vasudha, and others.

In some ways, every carnatic concert is a jam, right? Do you think we might get more young people in the audience if we advertised them as such?

Sivaramakrishnan

That's hilarious, Nick Ji!

Let's wait for the Tubes to open up to watch the serious stuff of the entire series. Except the opening day anchors and a Vidwan on the concluding day almost all participants are very very young.

Jams may be considered the 'Utsavamoorthis' of the main RTP slots. Jubilation and participation will be more in processions, naturally.

Curators would run out of jobs gradually as Carnatic music would be amidst the masses. This is my fervent hope.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

Pallavi Court Forum - a QA session featuring Chitravina N.Ravikiran,Dr. R.S.Jayalakshmi,Bharat Sundar,Rithvik Raja,
Anahita Ravindran & Apoorva Ravindran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3M7QUrwAV4

vijay.siddharth

Post by vijay.siddharth »

A small humorous note about Jams that occurred to me (no offence intended, this is just tactless me)

If you think about it, ALL of TM Krishna sir's concerts are jams...

Which leave audiences in a pickle :lol:

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

If you think about it, all carnatic concerts are jams: unrehearsed, sometimes without song planning, and with a high proportion of improvised content. But they do follow a set pattern, and perhaps the word "jam" frees people from pattern. Yes, in that sense, TMK takes jamming to the concert stage.

I was unable to attend the jam I would have liked to have seen, as I already had bread and butter scheduled for that day: a Sumithra concert :)

vijay.siddharth

Nick H wrote: 21 Jul 2017, 14:40 I was unable to attend the jam I would have liked to have seen, as I already had bread and butter scheduled for that day: a Sumithra concert :)
Well, I am not fond of jam... :lol:

But, I agree. Bread and Butter might be ubiquitous, but it is so rich and luscious- the ultimate comfort food!

(Many musicians, on the other hand, give the same taste by using Canola Spread :D )

Sivaramakrishnan

The Genext has taken the Pallavi Darbar to dizzy levels over the years. Those who could make it to the venues were sure part of the great excitement. Accompanists too had immense grip over the presentations, it has been noted by Rasikas. It has been Laya-Pralaya all over!!

Pallavi competitions too were well designed and conducted.

Seems Carnatica is yet to upload the Darbar of the Whizkid (yes, Abhishek Raghuram) in the YouTube. They say it was a multi-dimensional Sreeranjani package. 'Sharma - Nambudiri combo' on the concluding day has also been reported to be a grand affair.

Ms Jayashree of Carnatica (hope I've got her name correct) deserves appreciation for her untiring efforts in ensuring proper co-ordination & conduct of the events.

Have I got believe that the days of an 'Unadhu paadam thunaiye in AadiTaalam 2 Kalai with eduppu after 6 maatras from Samam and swaraprastara in ragamaalika' won't come back?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sivaramakrishnan,
To whet your appetite, here is a link. (disclaimer: I reserve my comments) :

https://youtu.be/Ckg1rsDsCWw

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 25 Jul 2017, 19:24 Seems Carnatica is yet to upload the Darbar of the Whizkid (yes, Abhishek Raghuram) in the YouTube.
Mr Boat Mail apparently is not too much in favour of recordings.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Bharat Sundar with power team set a nice Pallavi with good spaced and tense sollus - good one to listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-blDXNaCqk

Also noteworthy in the opening vaRnam is how the Mridangist employs cApu effectively to support and enhance!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

The young performers were competing. Were results announced? Awards given?

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I remember seeing the results in one of the concerts/speeches. Ratipriya came second. Forget the one that got the first - as I did not listen to her yet.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you. Nice to know that Rathipriya did well.

vijay.siddharth

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Keerthana Shankar won the competition though.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Really? I know one of her relatives (in fact her father used to write here). I'll ask.