Concert Attendance Report

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Nick H

Post by Nick H »

A happy evening listening to Ghatam V Suresh sing at Swamy's Hall

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sing?
I thought only his ghatam sings...

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Indeed no! I don't know how many vocal opportunities he gets, but I attended his vocal arrangetram a few years ago.

cameo

Post by cameo »

TM Krishna at Raga Sudha Hall - 26 Jan 6pm
Mridangam- Manoj Siva
Violin- RK Sriramkumar
Kanjira- ?
Tambura 1 & 2

Mathe - Kamas
Nilotpala - Reethigowla
Vande Mataram - Desh

naveen

Re: Concert Attendance Report

Post by naveen »

Sri Vijay Shiva performed at Sri Ramaseva Mandali, Fort High School, Bangalore on 28th March 2010 with :-
Violin - RK SriRamkumar
Mridanga - J Vaidyanathan
Kanjira - N Amrith

Time - 6:30 - 9:30 PM

Partial song list :-

Vanajaksha - Reethigowla Varna
Mamava Satatam - Jaganmohini
Parathpara Parameshwara - Vachaspati
E papamu Jesithara Rama - Athana
Suryamurthe Namosthuthe - Sourashtra
A krithi of Shyama Shastri in Kedaragowla
Sri kamalambikaya - Bhairavi (with Thani)

srikant1987

Bharathi Ramasubban - Amritha Murali - B Ganapathiraman

Post by srikant1987 »

14 Apr 2010
@ Raga Sudha Hall for Naada Inbam

neRanammitini (varNam) - kAnaDa - aTa
nAdasudhA - Arabhi - rUpakacApu - T (R, S @ pallavi)
bhuvini dAsuDanu - shrIranjani - Adi - T (R, NS @ padamulanE gati)
tallI ninnu - kalyANi - cApu - SS (R, S @ pallavi)
hiraNmayIm - lalitA - rUpakacApu - MD
mAmava? - kOkiladhwani? - Adi - ?
dAcukOvalEnA - tODi - jhampa - T (R, presumably NST)

All compositions were rendered well, the nice "moved by SS" effect was there at talli ninnu. Bharathi employs many madhyama/durita kAla phrases in her AlApanai, which was very effective for tODi and the thing to do for Arabhi, but perhaps a different approach could have been better for kalyANi. In shrIranjani, she did not explore with nyAsa at ma or ri, but instead at ga. Amritha on the other hand, employed phrases on ma. The Arabhi was very good and impressive. I kind of like the line-up of ragas and compositions here. ;) Well, I am not that fond of dAcukOvalEna ... still, now I regret missing it!

naveen

Chitraveena Ravikiran's Concert

Post by naveen »

Sabha : MES Kalavedi.
Venue : MES College, Bangalore

Chitraveena : Sri Ravikiran
Violin : Sri Mysore Manjunath
Mridangam : Sri B C Manjunath
Kanjira : Sri N Amruth
Ghatam : Smt Sukanya Ramagopal

Songlist
1. Ninnu Kori - Vasantha
2. Upacharamu Chesi - Bharavi (RN)
3. A Krithi of Othakadu Venkata Kavi in Purvikalyani on the composer Jayadeva in Mishra Chapu. He also sang parts of it, but I forget the lyrics now. (RS)
4. Sri Kalahastheesha - Huseni (R)
5. Brova Barama - Bahudari
6. RTP in Sahana Adi Thalam - with tanam in Varali(?), Manirangu and Nattai - Thani
6. Nijagadasa - Sindhu bhairavi
7. Pavamana

The concert went on for nearly 2:45
A nonpareil concert !

arasi

Post by arasi »

Especially the sahAna, I bet.

ksrimech

Re: Chitraveena Ravikiran's Concert

Post by ksrimech »

naveen wrote: 3. A Krithi of Othakadu Venkata Kavi in Purvikalyani on the composer Jayadeva in Mishra Chapu. He also sang parts of it, but I forget the lyrics now. (RS)
padmAvati ramaNam - pUrvikalyANi - tripuTa

naveen

Post by naveen »

ksrimech, that was the krithi that he performed. Thanks for helping me recall it.
He sang the the charanam which was in madyama kala: it was really superb

Arasi, yes, the sahana was really good, so was the bhairavi.

nandiraju

Post by nandiraju »

Dear Rasikas,

In Bhadrachalam there are programs where there are group songs and individual Kutcher's happening this February. Stalwarts such as Balamurali is also singing in the program. There are other eminent singers also participating in the Kutcheri.

If I was in India, I would try my best to attend the same. If anybody visits the same or if they can get the relvant recordings updated in Sangeetamshare, the same would be a great service. Thanks to all in advance.

For this, there could be a request made to the temple authorities as well by people in and around that place.

vsrani

Post by vsrani »

The sixth episode of Kshetra Sangeetham was held on February 10, at Narada Gana Sabha. The focus was on the temples in Chennai.

Carnatic music historian, V Sriram gave a information packed speech with a visual presentation on the temples. He made a mention of the vaggeyakkaras, who on several occasions came to Madras from Thanjavur and sang on the various Chennai kshetrams, the probable period of their Chennai visits, with bits of anecdotes wherever applicable. The speech was for about half an hour, and racy!

Mr.Andrew T. Simkin, Consul-General of the United States of America, Chennai, was the the guest of honour. He gave a short formal speech.

Then, Smt. Vijayalakshmy Subramaniam presented a vocal concert. The chosen krithis were in line with the speech. She was accompanied on the Violin by Akkarai Smt. Subhalakshmi, on Mridangam by Neyveli Shri Skanda Subramaniam and Ghatam by Dr. S. Karthick.

She started the concert with

1.Varanam - Sami Ninne in Suddha Thodi, of Patnam Subramania Iyer (This must have had the charanam as Chennai purivasa, according to V Sriram's speech, and am not quite sure) went on to sing
2. Dharini Thelusu - Thyagaraja - Thiruvotriyur Pancharatnam in Suddha Saveri
3. Vindamamalar -Thirunavikkarasar Thevaram, followed by Marundeeswarane by Periyasamy Thooran in Poorvi Kalyani (M Chapu)(had a short alapanai)
4. Kalpaka Madha, on Mayilai Karpagambal - Papanasam Sivan in Hindolam (had a short alapanai)
5. Aadenamma, (sung on Nataraja temple in George Town) Pallavi Doraisamy Iyer in Paras
6. Peyazhwar Pasuram followed by Sevinchina - Subbaraya Sastry - Yedhukula Kambhoji, M Chapu.
7. Ganamudham, Kotteeswara Iyer, Salagam (Kandar Kottam Murugan Temple in Park Town)
8. Sundareshwaruni - Sankarabharanam - Thyagaraja - Kovur Pancharatnam (Must have been the main piece - Then, I had to leave the concert, as I did so half heartedly).

V Sriram's speech was as interesting as ever, had liberal anecdotes on Papanasam Sivan who landed in Chennai in early 19 hundreds and about the bhajans he sang on the Mada veedhis of Mylapore in praise of Arulmigu Kapaleeswarar and Karpagambal. Smt Vijayalakshmy's concert was enjoyable and gave some brain work for the audience - to connect each one of the krithis with the earlier speech. The picture of the kshetrams came up on the screen, along with the details of the krithi being sung.

Awaiting the next Kshetra Sangeetham event eagerly if it happens in Chennai. This one was a ticketed concert and hardly there were about 70 rasikas in the main hall, who were fully members except for a very very few ticket buyers. In fact, we had to call the sabha managers from inside the hall to get the entry ticket at the counter! He said, "The turn out inside the hall is pathetic".

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

Pattabirama Pandit, Anand Bagh, Sailguda, Hyd, 25th Feb 2011
Pattabirama Pandit – Vocal
Smt. Durga Bhavani( Vijayawada)- violin
Sri. Aravind – Mridangam
Sri. Hanumantha Rao (Tadepalligudem)- Ghatam

Song List:
1. Ninnu kori – varnam in Mohanam( brief R for 2 min.)
2. rArA mA inTi dAka– Asaveri – T
3. Sadinchane – Arabhi - T
4. Raghuvara _ pantuvarali – T ( R: 4 min, N & S at ‘manasuna neekai’)
5. Hecharikaga rara - yadukula khamboji – T (R:6 min)
6. manaviAla kincha rAdaTE – Nalinakanthi – T
7. dAsarathee nee ruNamu deerpa nAtaramA – thodi – T ( R: 11min, N & S @bhakti lEni kavi jAla varENyulu)
(tani: 26 min…)
8. nA morAla kimpa vEmi Sree rAma – devagandhari – T
9. slokam: “Vadyodanchad divyanama samkirtana kalanidhim, Nadabdhim sachchidanandam sadgurum tam namamyaham” in kapi
10. followed by jagadhoddaraNA
11. Mangalam

On the 4th day of the Sadguru Thyagaraja Uthsavam, the attendance was quite poor for this concert. But the rasikas whoever had decided to come were very glad about their decision. His booming voice, clear diction and dedicated performance was very impressive. While introducing the Vidwan, the organizers had mentioned that he was a B-grade artist. After listening to him, many started to wonder what/who decides these gradings, as the renditions were better than even the A-grade /popular artistes. Apt violin accompaniment by Smt. Durgabhavani elevated the concert throughout.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

pattAbhi rAmA pandit prefers to render this combo of pantuvarAli-tOdi and this particular dAsarathee tOdi is one of his most favourite rendered number.

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

Malladi Brothers Anand Bagh, Hyderabad on 26-02-2011
Accompaniments:
Sri. Peri Srirama Murthy- Violin
Sri. D. S. R. Murthy – Mridangam
Sri. S. Hanumantha Rao – ghatam
Sri. Ghantasala Sathya Sai – Morsing

Song List:
1. rAma ninu nammina – mohanam –T ( R: 2min, S @ rama ninu..)
2. nee bhakti bhAgya sudhA – jaya manOhari –T ( S@ nee bhakti..)
3. enta rAnee enta pOnee-hari kAmbhOji-Adi - T
4. needu charaNamulE - simhEndramadhyamamu – roopakam – T (r: 10 min, S @ needu….)
5. Annapoornashtakam Slokam – “Nityanandakari ..” in sAmA
followed by annapurNE visAlAkshi – Adi - MD
6. rAga sudhA rasa-AndOLika-Adi - T
7. swara rAga sudhA rasa-SankarAbharaNam-Adi –T ( R & r:12 min., brief N & S @ “rajata gireeSuDu nagajaku..”)
tani: 10 min
8. antaranga mella sree hari koppincha – husseni - Annamacharya
9. rama jOgi mandhu – khamAs – Bh. rAmadAsu
10. Govardhana Giridhra -Darbari Kaanada –Triputa – Narayana Teerta
11. MangaLam
[Alapana - R: by sriramprasad; r: by ravikumar]

This was a splendid concert on the 5th day of the Sadguru Thyagaraja Uthsavam. The audience who had gathered really in large numbers were treated to a delightful Saturday evening by the MBros, although there were some glitches initially due to the several adjustments of mike etc., As usual the kritis, due to the correct diction, were enjoyable. After item #5, Sriram Prasad narrated the story of Chidambaranadha yogi & Dikshitar’s stay in Varanasi, and the latter getting the unique veeNa. Also that, Swami SivanadaMurthy is planning to conduct an Annual Music festival in VaraNasi, near the Samadhi of the Yogi at Hanuman Ghat, soon. I was missing Revanth, our forumite. Only the violin somehow did not co-operate very well, despite the senior vidwan’s experience. Other pakka vadhyams rendered good support.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sivakami - seems to have been a beautiful concert! Thanks for posting it. A quick question - why are you putting these up in the Concert attendance thread and not as a review?

AFAIK, annapUrNE visAlAkshi was composed by Sri MD on the presiding deity of kuzhikkarai - he refers to her as 'unnata gartA tIra vihAriNi'....not 'gangA tIra vihAriNi' - while Sri Adi Sankara's annapUNAshTakam is certainly on the deity in vAraNAsi as evidenced by the reference 'kASIpurAdhISvari'.

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

A quick question - why are you putting these up in the Concert attendance thread and not as a review?
rshankar,
as I am a lay-rasika and not trained in CM, I felt I can't write a review. I think this thread of 'concert attendance report' was started for people like me.. Still if moderators wish to, they could always move wherever they want ...

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

Sadguru Thagaraja Aradhana Uthsava Samithi, AnandBagh, Hyderabad
Smt. Manda Sudharani – Vocal
Miss. Sruthi Ravali – Vocal support (daughter & disciple of Smt.Sudharani)
Sri. R. Dinakar – violin
Sri. Nemani Somayajulu – mridangam
Sri. Venkatesh ( Vizag) – Morsing

Song List:
1. gAna pAna niratham – nAttai – BMK in praise of Saint Thyagaraja ( R: 2min., S @ gAna sudha)
2. ninnadane – kannada – T- ( R: 2min), lot of gamakams, excellent violin support)
3. guru leka etuvanti guNikki _ gowri manOhari – T( R: 5 min, S @ guru leka,)
4. akhilAndeswari – dwijavanthi –MD ( R; 2min)
5. bAgayanayyA – Chandra jyothi – T ( R: 6 min, S @ bAgAyanayya)
6. telisi rAma chintana tO - poorNa chandrika - Adi -T (brisk S @ telisi)
7. evari mATa vinnAvO - kAmbhoji – Adi – T
( R:6 min by mother, 2 min by daughter, 2 min by both; N & S @ bhaktha)
Tani: 17 min
8. sompaina manassutO impaina bangaaru – Ahiri – T
Mangalam

This particular concert was the one I had been dying to attend, after reading quite a bit about Smt. Sudharani in our forum. I was doubly delighted to be able to listen to her daughter Sruti RavaLi sing along with her. It was a wonderful kucheri, vibrant and full of bhaAvam, due to the clear and correct diction. The organizers even mentioned that instead of saying vocal support by the daughter, it was as if they were singing like co-artistes. Several places, the swara patterns were rapidly modulated, with ease. In item #3, during swaram rendition with gimmicks, she was including the pallavi words in between the swarams back and forth. I am not able to describe more, being a lay-rasika. Violin support was excellent, with exact returns all through.
Overall, it was a very memorable concert.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sivakami
This thread was just merely started by VK ,for those who recollect very few about the concert and those who feel bit constrained to open a new thread. You have put the songlist and given a subjective opinion too.Three reviews about 3 concerts each could be in a new thread in kutcheri reviews. Atleast from the next you open a new thread.

BTW I started this timing thread long time back after I saw one post from mahesh of newjersey . YOu have taken it to a new level , you even break it out as mom,daughter and duo :lol: . Wow , if I did this below,some body would have asked me , are you hearing the concert with a stopwatch. ;)
sivakami wrote:( R:6 min by mother, 2 min by daughter, 2 min by both; N & S @ bhaktha)

Enna_Solven

Post by Enna_Solven »

Priya Sisters @ Round Rock/Austin April 2, 2011
Haripriya & Shanmukhapriya- Vocal
B.V. Raghavendra Rao - Violin
Skanda Subramanian- Mridangam

1. jalajAksha - hamsadhwani
2. gananAyakam - rudrapriyA
3. jaya jAnaki kAntha - nAttai (S)
4. ennAlu urakE - subha panthuvarAli (R,S) - beautiful alApana by non-bopcut sister (elder? s.priyA??)
5. rAmanukku - hindOlam
6. ambA neelAmbari - neelAmbari
7. rAma nee samAnamevaru - kharaharapriyA (RNS, main almost an hour including thani) very nice ragam by bop-cut sister. neraval at paluku palukulaku
8. thani - it was nice but went over my head.
9. RTP mOhanam - Adi khanda nadai - pallavi = haram shubha karam mOhana karam bhajEham, Adi dEvam ahi bhUshanam, composed by their guru TRS (they announced the details)
10. kaligenide nAku - sindhu bhairavi
11. chinnanchiru kiLiyE - RM
12. bhajan - chadariyA jeenErE jeenE kE rAm nAm ras peenE (composer?) It was very nicely rendered by the sisters.
13. mangalam - pavamAna - saurashtram/madhyamAvathi

It was a good concert. Their voices in unison is very nice to listen to. Raghavendra Rao's return for Subhapanthuvarali, kharaharapriyA and mOhanam was superb. Skanda Subramaniyan's percussion was was very supportive and non-intrusive.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Enna_Solven wrote:12. bhajan - chadariyA jeenErE jeenE kE rAm nAm ras peenE (composer?) It was very nicely rendered by the sisters.
sant kabIr I think.

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Made it to Smt. Jayalakshmi Santhanam's concert in Cleveland, supported by Smt. Narmada and Sri. Murugabhupathy, with her students as vocal support. The concert touched one's heart, the Devagandhari (Koluvaiunnade) was simply unforgettable. Shankarabharanam was good as well (Akshaya Linga Vibho). Also, the Shanti Nilava Vendum @ the end was extremely resonant and mellifluous. Totally made my drive to Cleveland in the rain worth it.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mahesh3,
I thought you are from the UK! I'm glad you could make it to the veteran's concert.Yes,it was a very good one once her voice warmed up. Dr. Narmada's adapting to Jayalakshmi Santhanam's singing (the schools are not similar) was not surprising, knowing Narmada's capability. Muruga bhupathy played very well too. As for the supporting singers: one is JS's long time student Vasumati Vasudevan of Florida who sings with JS often. The other student Radha Sridharan is JS's niece, cm star of yesteryears--Prof. V.V.Sadagopan's daughter. She is a busy professional who did not devote much time for her musical pursuit. Endowed with such an enchanting voice and with her musical background, she could have made it in the cm world, but remained a busy mother and professional. She has accompanied her aunt in several concerts off and on. Growing up in Delhi, she would sing bhajans and rabindra sangeet like a nightingale!
JS also sang one of my songs as a filler and raced through it so fast, it was over before I could hear it! She also sang one of VVS's rAgamAlikais. A good one, but not the best of his compositions, in my view. I remember her taking up his kharaharapriya song alaiyaviDudal nyAyamA? as a main several years ago and doing full justice to it. I was happy she sang one of mine too, but wish she had chosen a tamizh song instead...;)

mahesh3

Post by mahesh3 »

Thanks Arasi. MaheshS is from the UK, not me! You are right, it was even better once her voice caught up. The calibre that artists like her, along with others such as Smt Suguna Varadachari etc bring to the format is just so mellifluent, devotional, correct, poised and dignified - dont want to rant, but after that loud afternoon of people just lustily cheering competition winners and/or participants and/or family members, this was welcome relief.

I just wish she had been given more time, but I won't complain. The quality of the concert was v. high. I did note your composition, started with Sharade Saraswathi etc. Quite promising, nice.

arasi

Post by arasi »

mahesh3,
Now I get it! MaheshS is the one who lives on the other side of the pond...
As for SAradE, it's a quick composition, which is sung quickly in kuntalavarAli--a veritable filler if you will! As you say, her time was curtailed because of over-running programs earlier--and the song was whizzed through! It was over so quickly that even I couldn't recollect what lines were sung ;)

tkb

Re: Concert Attendance Report - 12 Jul & 23rd July, 2011

Post by tkb »

Nice to see Young NRI artists making a big impression these days in Chennai. I had the oppurtunity to be there for a short while in Hariharah Ravi's vocal concert on the 12th July at BVB mini hall organised under Balakalasagaram Trust by Issaimazhalai Ramjhi with Shyam on Violin and Akshay Ram on Mrudhangam. It was a good concert and i wanted to be there for his full concert on 19th Jul'11 but missed it. I am trying to catch up with his concert at NGS mini hall in the second week of August. Sri Cleveland Sundaram spoke about Hariharani's talents and his growth in his learning process as he is one of the regulars for the Cleveland Thyagaraja Utsavam. Sri Ramjhi informed that he was so impressed with the voice and talent of Hariharan that he arranged this concert in a short notice, sooner he got to know that he was in Chennai.

Kamalakiran Vinjamuri's solo violin concert i attended yesterday is probably one of the best i had attended in the recent past. He had the stamp of his guru, Ms. A. Kanyakumari's school of playing techniques and the smile she carries while interacting with the artists during a concert. Kamalakiran, all of 13 years old, was all at ease with the enhancement team of Sri Arjun Ganesh on mrudhangam, Sri. K. V. Gopalakrishnan on Kanjeera and Dr. S. Karthick on Ghatam who did their best! He also his guru's divine blessings with her presence for the concert.

I entered when Kamalakiran was actually singing Akilandeswari on violin and continued to do so through out the concert. He followed it up with Nadhupai - Madhyamavathi and Ragunadha nannu - Swararanjani. I missed the RTP in Shanmugapriya but came back to listen to Revagupti ragaThillana followed by Bagyadhalaksmi Baramma, Brahma Kadigina Padhamu, Pibare Ramarasam and Mangalam. I had the pleasure of having attended a good concert and also the satisfaction of personally greeting the artist! Understand he is enhancing the vocal concert of Sri Madurai Rajaram today evening at Parvathy, 28/180 Eldams Road, Chennai for Music Education Trust. I will be missing it as i have to attend my wife's vocal concert today at Kumaran Kundram, Chrompet this evening!!

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Listened to Saketharaman for the first time at BGS last evening. It was an excellent team performance by Saketharaman, Nagai Sriram, Mannargudi Eswaran and S. Karthick. Mukhari premain (enRaikku Sivakripai) and Subhapantuvaraali main (Sri Satyanarayanam Upasmahe), followed by a 3-raga pallavi in Revati, Sahana and Sivasakti in khanDa jaati aTa taaLam. Interesting pallavi line combining the dances performed by Siva & Sakti (tANDavam and laasyam). Finished off with a few kritis on lord Siva.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Sridhar, I'm very curious now - what was the pallavi?

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

I no longer make notes but thankfully I messaged the pallavi line to a friend, so here it is from Viber:

takadheem takiTadheem enRu tANDavam || janudheem tajanudheem enRu laasyam || ADiDum SivaSaktiyai paNivOm ||

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nice thoughtful pallavi by saketharaman . I guess the experience of learning from Lalgudi has indeed brought that . What does laasyam mean?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yesterday I attended four concerts. This is a personal record, and not one that I am interested in breaking! Two is enough, three is overeating.

Another record for me was three consecutive concerts by students of Smt R Vedavalli: Ashwin Anand (veena), Usha Padmanabhan, and Archana & Arathi.

On top of those concerts at MA and Raga Sudha, I fulfilled a promise to an old friend from London to see his program: Manikam Yogeswaren. His performance was full of gusto and passion. The difference from the previous concerts made this, the fourth course in a rich meal, palatable and digestible

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

sridhar_ranga wrote:I no longer make notes but thankfully I messaged the pallavi line to a friend, so here it is from Viber:

takadheem takiTadheem enRu tANDavam || janudheem tajanudheem enRu laasyam || ADiDum SivaSaktiyai paNivOm ||
Beautiful...I was imagining this danced, with vigorous jumps and leg lifts for the tANDavam, and an almost mohiniATtamish grace for the lAsyam...
Rajesh...if Siva dances the vigorous tANDavam, pArvati dances the lAsyam with languorous grace. It is a way of dancing. Lalgudi Sri Jayaraman in his nATya composition, jaya jaya dEvi, refers to it as 'naLinam migunda lAsyam'. Myth has it, that umA taught this firm of dancing to ushA, the daughter of bhANAsura...
Also, some believe that the word tALa, comes from the union of tANDava and lAsya.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yesterday: Just K P Nandini (missed 'h'?).

My favourite new-to-me-this-year vocalist (also a violinist.) Great voice, great concert.

About to go to MA. I guess I'll be late for 9.15 concert --- but it's midnight according to my personal clock!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Today i went around 7pm to hear hyderabad brothers after a long time. the venue was meenakshi college of engg . I mistook this venue for the meenakshi college in kodambakkam-liberty which has also an engg college. I went and the watchman said the concerts at this college got over few days back , there is also few concerts here. I just checked kutcheris.com to find the venue was meenakshi college of engg in kk nagar .

Govinda govinda one day of concert gone despite just trying my best to sneak in out of office bit early. we have aishwarya and sanjay ambiguity, now we also have venue ambiguity.This post is just a caution for all of you that meenakshi college of engg is in kknagar and not kodambakkam.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

:( That is too bad Rajesh, that has got to be quite disappointing. Thanks for the warning

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

My concert going is interrupted by visitors from USA.

However, there was never any doubt that Smt Vedavalli's concert would be included in our itinerary. It is always a little nerve racking to introduce people to carnatic music at the deepest of the deep end, but they were able to share my bliss.

Having them here brought me a new experience, because I would not often look even for the great names in dance, but they wanted to see some, and a quick scan of the newspaper resulted us in us being at Kalakshetra in the evening, watching the ladies from Nrityagram, whose dance is one of just one of the most extraordinary wonderful experiences in the world! In fact, a world-wide dance follower friend, who introduced me to them, described them to me as "The best dancers I have ever seen." I have experienced very little dance --- but I'm certainly not arguing with this!

Sunday, therefore, was an amazingly special day from beginning to end.

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Had a wonderful morning at Krishna Gana Sabha with a serene TN Seshagopalan kutchery.

TNS @ SKGS 19 Dec 2014 9:30 AM supported by - TNS Krishna, M Chandrasekharan, Patri Satishkumar

1. Sri Varalakshmi - Sri - Rupaka - D (RS)
2. Sri Balasubrahmanya - Bilahari - M Chapu - D (RS)
3. Jaalandhara supIThastE - Valaji - Rupakam - HMB (R, NS@bhavaroga nivarini bhaktajana paripalini)
(trademark swara fireworks by sri TNS and sri MC started swara return after a pause and the comment 'ivvaLO amakkaLapaDuttina appuRam naan enna vaasikkaRadu)
4. nILA tungasthana kiritaTI + paadagangaL tIrkkum (brief viruttams) + violin return + Azhi mazhaikkaNNaa - VaraaLi - Adi - ANDAL
5. SaravaNabhavaa samayamidiraa - paSupatipriya - Adi - HMB (S)
6. dhyaanamE varamaina - dhanyaasi - Adi - T (RNST)
7. puLLin vAi piLandiTTAi - periyaazhwaar paasuram - ragamalika viruttam in saveri, bagesri?, ? + barse badariya saavan kI - Mira Bhajan in ?
8. pavamaana + Sriyah kaantaaya kalyaaNa

I believe most ragas chosen were morning specials! Blissful it was.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Heard the post-thani avarthanam items of today's concert by Mahanadhi Shobana Vignesh at BVB mini hall. Her voice was quite good and she did quite well in the higher octaves generally. I believe the main item was Kharaharapriya though.

The thukkadas section started with an abhang which seemed to be a cross between Mand and Bhoopalam possibly. She then took up a viruttham in Chalanattai? and Revathi. Can't remember the starting words exactly, but I did make a note about "Kanne Kanmaniye". The krithi she sang in Revathi started with the words "Munnavane Siriyavanaan" which I think was in praise of Lord Nataraja, but no idea who composed either. She then sang Payumoli Nee of Subramania Bharathiyar in raga Brindavani. She also sang a Thillana in Karnaranjani composed by K. S. Raghunathan containing Tamil sahithyam (the alternate version I've heard of the same Thillana is in Telugu) before Pavamana.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Nick H wrote:Yesterday I attended four concerts. This is a personal record, and not one that I am interested in breaking! Two is enough, three is overeating.
I broke it with a 5-concert day this year. I'd find it very hard to list them from memory!
Another record for me was three consecutive concerts by students of Smt R Vedavalli: Ashwin Anand (veena), Usha Padmanabhan, and Archana & Arathi.
[/quote]
No consecutive record, but have added three more to my RV-school experience, this year, which now includes, I think, all the actively performing students

nirmalaraghavan

writing reviews without attending

Post by nirmalaraghavan »

I was surprised some 10 years before when even senior critics would write without attending concerts. I've seen musicians flock round these critics begging them to write- to write with a list and not by listening. Now at least its better off. critics are given cd's of concerts to review. For a really good artiste and who is confident of his/her artistic skills,I think these don't matter. Dr. Balamuralikrishna would always say "Avaalukku therinjada avaa ezhudara" and he would brush it off.

Sivagamasundari

Post by Sivagamasundari »

Wow I've always thought I'm a loner in such thoughts this is a really good forum to express our views and may be a more realistic review for Sabhas and organisations to note

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Here is a brief on the concerts I attended during the 2015 season in Chennai. If I see a detailed concert review of these concerts I will copy and paste the relevant portions there if appropriate.

Abhishek Raghuram at Bharath kalachar - Every raga Abhishek takes up gets the special Abhishek treatment ( and the Abhishek experience as Sachi called it elsewhere ) and the raga to have that privilege in this concert was Nalinakanthi (RTP). The 3 hour duration gave him the the flexibility to indulge in the pallavi portion alone for 45 minutes. The laya concept he used is 'Atheetham' as in the usual meaning of the song line starting before the beat. Every sub portion of the pallavi line is also set in Atheetham. He explained that it gives him the flexibility to do nadai bedam with ease. It was a great treat. I am not sure half the audience was with him in all the laya intricacies but I enjoyed it very much. ( in his explanation about the pallavi he said in passing that if you come to the hall before the concert starts that is atheetham. It went over the head of most of the audience except a few of us who caught on to the humor ;) ).

Malladi Brothers at Narada Gana Sabha - Very enjoyable concert. They did an RTP with the words that are relevant to the flood situation in Chennai. Their Shankarabharanam was just too good. It does not hurt they sang a song that I like very much ( eduTa nilicitE nIdu ). Can not describe how great a time I had listening to them sing that song.

Saketharaman at Indian Fine arts - Someone I have been wanting to hear live for a while and I am glad I did. 'chalamElarA sAkEtarAmA' was a nice touch putting smiles on a few people around me! Another one of the youngsters who can sing with enormous confidence and who can let loose. Too bad it was only a two hour concert ( what is with that 2 hour 4:30 pm slot at Indian Fine arts? Does not make any sense to put an artist like Saketharaman there with top notch accompanists for a two hour concert)

Jayant (flute) at Indian Fine arts - This youngster has matured into an accomplished professional flute player and I enjoyed his concert. Flute concerts do have a special charm, whether it is due to the greatness of the sound or the possibilities of techniques afforded by the instrument and Jayant brought them all to produce a wholesome experience. Chakkani rajamargamu was the main, it was great to hear it on the flute. This youngster knows to do the right and respectful thing. He asked Vittal Ramamurthy the violinist to start the Thillana by Lalgudi Jayaraman. Pleasant symbolism there.

(Indian fine arts should feel the shame for picking Ethiraj Kalyana Mandapam as the venue ( I hear it was changed to this venue this year ). It may be great for a wedding but totally unfit for CM concerts unless one is going for cacophony as a theme. Every horn sound of the thousands of vehicles that pass by the road in front is heard inside. After enduring that torture for a couple of songs by Sakthetharaman, I upgraded my ticket and moved closer to the stage. It was better but I could still hear them. I am sure the artists can hear them too and full credit to them to still produce a great concert amidst such chaos. At one place in Jayant's concert, he was doing a great purvi kalyani alapana where he was building it up with very short and subtle phrases that one can do with the flute. It was awesome and I was totally amazed at the subtlety of it all until a horn sound from the road totally destroyed the third variation he did. Indian fine arts bills itself as a top tier organization ( as the season is not like just as any other sabha but like the MA it is a conference etc. ) and hope they find a better home consistent with their billing. Anything will be better than this.)

Akkarai Sisters Vocal - Charsur Foundation concert at Narada gana sabha mini hall - The speciality of this series is to encourage full coverage of all the 72 melakarthas ( by all the artists involved in the series ). Nice concept. The hall was over flowing. For some reason the concert itself started 15 minutes earlier than advertised. Fortunately I was there for the start but there was disturbance with people arriving late ( on time ) and getting seated. They sang well with Shanmugapriya Main. Edayya Gathi was also done well ( noticed how the bhavam of the song comes across to me differently when sung by different singers )

Sriranjani Santhanagopalan at Music Academy - I was there for her Kharaharapriya RTP. She sang great enough that I need to take in a full concert. I am sure there will be ample opportunities. She does come across as a natural singer.

Abhishek Raghuram at Parthasarary Sabha. The raga that was afforded the Abhishek treatment was Purvi Kalyani. I heard he sang that raga for one of the Margazhi utsavam concerts. I guess he was not satisfied and decided to give it the full on treatment. It was a treat. It was a new song for me, one by Tanjore Ponnaiyah. His Durbar was also quite royal.

Sanjay Subramaniyan at Tamil Isai Sangam, Raja Annamalai Manram. This is totally Arasi's doing ( and am quite thankful for that!! ) We talked on the phone and she recalled the Tamil Isai Sangam concert of SS is either the day before or that day or day after. It was around 3 P.M. Had a few errands to run since it was the day before I had to take off from Chennai and forgot to check the schedule. I was somewhere in Besant Nagar around 5:30 PM when I remembered the conversation with Arasi, checked Ram's site Musicrux.com and found out it was indeed that day at 7 P.M. Changed a few things around and got there to George Town with enough time to spare. The people there are quite nice. For a 250 rupees ticket, they seated me in the 4th row with an added guarantee that if I find that to be not suitable, they will seat me in the member's section after half hour. I do not see such things happening in any Mylapore Sabha. There was no need for that since that was great enough seat( but for the squeaky push back chair!). Tremendous concert indeed. Enjoyed his Begada and Kamas RTP. I am not sure if people say this aspect about SS but he combines his open throated all out singing with enough voice modulation to bring out different bhavams. It is easier said than done. All that came together for an emotional rendition of Chinnachiru Kiliye. Sometimes core CM rasikas have the tendency to treat such songs as 'oh not that again!' and not pay enough attention but I am glad I did not do that this time. For whatever reason, his rendition of this song that day got to me quite deeply. I also noticed a few moist eyes around me.

Finally, on a lighter vein, when Akkarai Sisters started Shanmukhapriya main alapana, I over thought it and figured it is something related to S'priya but not quite it. I managed to confuse my friend who was firm on S'priya as well. In the upper tetrachord it sounded very much like S'priya but at the lower one, I thought it sounded a bit different. ( again, it was a problem with me and not with Akkarai Sisters ).
So, if not, S'priya, what is it? My theoretical mind took over ( bad, I know ) and added 6 to 56 and thought it may be 62 ( Rishabapriya ). Long story short, as the alapana progressed it was clear I was overthinking this and it is indeed S'Priya and confirmation came when the song started.
At SS concert, it started the same way, it sounded like S'priya and not quite that. I said to myself 'oh, not again' but kept to my conviction it is not S'Priya knowing fully well that I am on the verger of strike two. ( though this time the evidence was a lot stronger ). SS himself announced soon it is Rishabapriya. Wow! I do not know Rishabapriya at all at the lakshya level. The krithi he sang was by Koteeswara Iyer and that added a few more layers to the raga reminiscent of Kalyani and Mohanam . I need to listen to this raga more to get familiar at a holistic level rather than thinking it sounds like S'Priya, Kalyani etc. Anyway, I was glad that my hunch it is not S'priya came out true preventing strike two!!

One notable miss was Amrita Venkatesh. I really wanted to listen to her live, I like her confident extemporaneous style of singing. I was gunning for her but could not make it happen due to my schedule difficulties. Hopefully on my next visit to Chennai or may be she will do a NA tour.

It would have great to meet up with members of our forum and attend concerts with them but this trip turned out to be quite unpredictable in terms of schedule which prevented me from doing so. Also, I stayed a bit away from the city (Uthandi) and I did not have the energy to get to the city early and often to do the 8 A.M to 10 P.M. sabha hopping that I used to do in earlier years. But I am glad I took in the concerts I did.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vasanthakokilam wrote: Too bad it was only a two hour concert ( what is with that 2 hour 4:30 pm slot at Indian Fine arts? Does not make any sense to put an artist like xyz there with top notch accompanists for a two hour concert)
Now you are complaining like me . All these years many may have felt that I am bragging in this but with the chief janitor i can brag more on this point

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

29 December 2016
Bharathi Ramasubban started her concert late at Mylapore Fine Arts with Dikshitar's "Pavanathmaja" in Nattai. I am not sure I enjoyed her voice today, and swaras which followed sounded plain. There were 12 people in the audience. Junior vocalist Kruthi Bhat stayed back to hear more I guess.

I caught the end of Abhishek Ravishankar's concert for BGS after 2pm with his rendition of Suddhananda Bharathi's "Brindavanam Idhuvo" in Suddhadhanyasi (which was preceded by a viruttam) and Subramania Bharathiyar's "Kani Nilam" in ragamalika (starting in Hamsadhwani and ending in Sindhubhairavi). He has an open throated style of singing; sangathis speak well from his voice, and pronunciation is clear (and good)! I wish I heard more. The next concert was by Shruthi Kumar who started with Panthuvarali varnam followed by Tyagaraja's Bhuvinidasudane in Sriranjani.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

2 January 2016
Caught the end of the concert of Vivek Sadasivam at Parthasarathy Swami Sabha. He concluded the concert with a viruttham (Kulam Tharum - Pasuram) followed by Narayananai Thudhipom in rags Komalangi.

SrividyaC

Chitraveena P Ganesh@Karya Siddhi Hanuman Temple, Frisco, Texas on 17 August 2018

Post by SrividyaC »

Chitraveena Shri. P Ganesh was accompanied by Shri. Narasimha Kikkeri on violin and Shri. Krishna Thirumalai on mridangam and Smt. Prithi Narasimhan for vocal support.
Apologies for incomplete list of pieces performed; although Shri. P. Ganesh announced the names of the pieces as is customary, it was unclear to me due to distractions.
1. Varnam in Sri Raagam
2. Thyagaraja Keerthanai in Renuka Raagam
3. Heccharikaga rara in Yadukulakamboji Raagam
4. Keerthanai in Hamsaanandi raagam Rupaka Thaalam
5. RTP in unknown raga but I might guess Abheri.

Great performance, very pleasing to the ears. Shri. P Ganesh displayed his mastery of chitraveena amply. I enjoyed hecharikaga rara the most, probably because i identified the song and could appreciate all the nuances of the chitraveena. Shri. Narasimha excelled in the RTP. Shri. Krishna gave a lively accompaniment on mridangam. He was very energetic and his playing further enhanced the uplifting mood of the kutcheri.
Last edited by SrividyaC on 13 Sep 2018, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

SrividyaC

Mysore Brothers Sangeetha Seva@KSHTemple, Frisco, Texas on Sep 11, 2018

Post by SrividyaC »

Mysore Brothers Dr. Manjunath and Shri. Nagesh. Accompanied by Shri. Patri Satish Kumar on Mridangam and Shri. Giridhar Udupa on Ghatam.

This was a Sangeetha Seva concert at the Karya Siddhi Hanuman Temple, Frisco, Texas. The violin brothers played raagams followed by  the compositions of Shri Ganapathy Sacchidananda Swamiji. Once again, my apologies for the incomplete list. This was a large open space in front of the deities where the concert was performed and hence, the voice of Dr. Manjunath was nearly inaudible.
The first ragam played was Chakravakam and they concluded the program with a swamiji composed bhajan in Dwijavanthi. The rest are my guesses: there was a Ananda Bhairavi followed by Desh. In Desh Ragam,  the brothers set the Pallavi which went as follows "Aananda, Chitaananda, Satchitaananda, Karya Siddhi Hanumatrupa" as an ode to Sri Ganapathy Sachidananda Swamiji.

Once again, a very lively concert. The audience enjoyed the artistry of the Mysore brothers and the mridangam and ghatam were equally masterful. The mysore brothers control of the violin was savant-like. As a violin learner myself, this concert was a golden opportunity to watch the masters. Yes, it did remind me that i need to get back to the practice of swaravali, janta varisaigal, and 3rd kalam etc. :)

The artistes received huge applause and cheers multiple times for the extremely fast paced performance. The mysore brothers played a lot in upper sthayi...even going to upper sthyai s and staying in that region. Only once could i detect a slight deviation in the sruthi, it was in an avarohanam in 3rd speed played jointly by both the brothers and that too was smoothed out within a matter of seconds. If thats not a sign of mastery, what is?
An jawdropping and eyecatching performance.

rajeshnat

Re: Chitraveena P Ganesh@Karya Siddhi Hanuman Temple, Frisco, Texas on 17 August 2018

Post by rajeshnat »

SrividyaC wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 11:22 4. Keerthanai in Saanandi raagam Rupaka Thaalam
Assuming you had in mind hamsanandi,thank you for your review.continue writing from dallasfortwoth area

SrividyaC

Re: Chitraveena P Ganesh@Karya Siddhi Hanuman Temple, Frisco, Texas on 17 August 2018

Post by SrividyaC »

rajeshnat wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 12:02
SrividyaC wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 11:22 4. Keerthanai in Saanandi raagam Rupaka Thaalam
Assuming you had in mind hamsanandi,thank you for your review.continue writing from dallasfortwoth area
Yes .. Hamsanandi Raagam is right, will correct it now.
Thank you for the encouragement, will keep writing :)

SrividyaC

Re:CAR Sept 29 2018 Smt Nandita Padmanabhan Vocal Concert at The Grand Clubs Plano

Post by SrividyaC »

September 29, 2018
Vocal concert at the Grand Clubs Plano
Smt Nandita Padmanabhan- Vocals
Smt Deepa Sastry- Violin
Shri Shankar Rajagopalan- Mridangam

List of pieces:
1. Charukesi Varnam composed by Shri Lalgudi Jayaraman
2. Sri Rangapura Vihara composed by Shri Muthuswami Dikshitar, Brindavana Saranga, Rupaka Talam
3. Saraswati Namostute composed by Shri GN Balasubramaniam, Saraswati, Rupaka Talam
4. RTP in Kaapi, "Govardhana Giridhari Gopala Krishna Murari"
5. Bo Shambo Shiva Shambo Swayambo
6. Mangalam

All 3 artistes were very good. Smt Padmanabhan's voice was full of vitality. At times the violin's sound got hidden by the vocals and mridangam (sound issue). This program was organized by Saptami foundation which had Indian Classical Dance and Music competitions throughout the day (before this concert). So the auditorium was full of kids mouthing along the words to the krithis :).