Use the calendar for events

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sathej

Post by Sathej »

I noticed the Mrudangam artiste names for certain concerts as Gandhiraman. I guess its Ganapathiraman!

Sathej

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

vganesh: I have added you in the email distribution list of calendar999 AT gmail DOT com .

Those who do not have 'edit' access to the carnatic calendar, send an email with the event details to calendar999 AT gmail DOT com The email will get to ganesh_mourthy, vganesh and me. One of us will update the calendar.

suresh_s

Post by suresh_s »

Hello all,

Having a calendar is an excellent idea, and thanks for making this happen. By sharing that with my own google calendar, I now have a single place to learn about concerts.

I see reviews for concerts not in the calendar. Can I suggest that any time we come to know of a concert, we immediately add an entry to the calendar if not already there (by either entering it oneself - if permitted - or sending an email to the right address)? And, when we post a concert review, we can update the calendar to point to the review. Later on, we can add a search function to the calendar to search by singer, raagam, venue, etc.

I can see the need to restrict edit access to a small few (at the least, to avoid duplication errors). Is it possible to designate one (volunteer) person per geographic area to add events to the calendar in their area (others in the area can email this person)? Just a thought, may be there's a simpler approach?

vasanthakokilam

suresh: Thanks for your excellent ideas on the enhancements for the use of the calendar.

The instructions for getting edit permission and for emailing the event details are in the first post of this topic. So those logistics are taken care of.

Your added layers can be done over time. It is a good idea to link from the calendar to the reviews and discussions of the same. If you would like to volunteer for back filling reviewed concerts, you are very much welcome to do that. You can include the link to the review thread in the general description section of the calendar event.

The search for ragas, compositions etc. that figured in concerts is already supported in a rough form within the forum. You can limit your searches to the Review sub forum.

But, as you wrote, linking it with the calendar has some important advantages. Richer queries and searches of this sort would then become possible. "Give me all the bhairavi compositions sung at Krishna Gana Sabha during the month of December". We need a calendar search feature where for a given "When" range and for a given "Where", follow the link in the description field and search the given search string. This is just an example. Does anyone know if Google supports this kind of a query? That will indeed be a useful thing.

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

wish someone could post details of Gokulashtami series in our raiskas calender..

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

done

sivakami

Post by sivakami »

sureshvv wrote:done
wow! now it looks so full....
Many Thanks for the update of the calender!!
people like me who stay in other cities, can attend some of them, whenever we pass by chennai...

suresh_s

Post by suresh_s »

vasanthakokilam,

Thanks. I can definitely enter concert events for my area (San Francisco area in the US), unless some one's already doing it. (I'll email the admin for permission.) Also, yes, using google calendar Javascript API one can retrieve events and display those containing specific text. See this link for a sample (in the box, enter admin@rasikas.org and click on 'Retrieve').

http://gdata-javascript-client.googleco ... ample.html

vasanthakokilam

Thanks suresh_s for that link. I guess with some programming, the search from calendar into concert reviews can be done, though it may not be trivial amount of work. The query based on 'what, when and where' is straightforward if not easy. From there we need to get the link to the review and search deeper to answer the query 'list who all sang Bhairavi at KGS during the season'.

The query can actually be free form like "KGS December 2008 Bhairavi" and let the user weed out any unnecessary information returned ( like how we use google for other purposes anyway ). I do not necessarily want to write code ( at best some declarative statements to hook things up ). Somehow point Google search engine in the right direction using the calendar structured data to guide and limit the search better than the brute force way it uses today.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

vasanthakokilam . could you please check your mail at the earliest.? I have a mail sent to you. need some help .

matterwaves

Post by matterwaves »

The schedule at 8th cross vv mohalla mysore for ganesha chaturthi..
http://8thcrossganesha.org/program2009.php

laks1972

Post by laks1972 »

can someone who has access enter the details of concerts published in "The Hindu" daily into rasikas.org calendar ??

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Rasikas calendar in tandem with Google notification rocks! I got an SMS like this today
Ramakrishnan S has added "Isai payanam with Charulatha mani @ Sat 29 Aug 6:30pm - 8:30pm in Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Main Hall Mylapore (Rasikas Calendar)" to t
Pretty slick!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

laks1972 wrote:can someone who has access enter the details of concerts published in "The Hindu" daily into rasikas.org calendar ??
Seems like you are missing the magic word!

vasanthakokilam

Suresh: Thanks for the note.

vasanthakokilam

I am pleased to see that the concert calendar is being to put to use to some extent ( http://rasikas.org/calendar.htm )

There are still quite a few concerts that do not get on the calendar. Please spread the word to the extent you can to the various sabhas you all visit so all their events can be added to the calendar on a timely basis, instead of finding out about the concert from that day's newspaper.

We need wider participation from the concert organizers and musicians so that it is beneficial to all.

As Suresh points out above, you can add this concert calendar to your calendar and set up SMS alerts etc.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I'm a bit behind with this, and reminding myself to look more often, but I have been finding the red squares, especially when there are several to a day, rather off-putting.

OK, so you all knew about it... I just discovered the agenda view (top right of the calendar block) which turns it into a lovely, easy-to-read listing :)

vasanthakokilam

Indeed Nick. Thanks for surfacing that point. Agenda view is the way to go.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

And, after posting that, I found that one can, in "Settings" specify it to be the default view. This may well not suit anyone who uses a personal Google Calendar to organise their appointments --- but it suits me!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Some of the events I added seem to be deleted. Is this possible or am I being paranoid? :)

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

This is happening definitely. Can mods please look into this?
Last edited by sureshvv on 04 Dec 2009, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

If it is happening, someone who has been granted edit access, is abusing their privilege.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Can "A" edit/delete something "B" has entered? If so, this can be a problem. Anyway we can avoid that?

sureshvv

Re: Use the calendar for events

Post by sureshvv »

Naada Inbam May 2010 Events added to rasikas calendar.

Enjoy!

Sundar Krishnan

Post by Sundar Krishnan »

2/8/11

Post No #41 dated 25 Sep 2009 22:35 talks of this Calendar url :
http://rasikas.org/calendar.htm

But it gives the foll error :
"The requested URL /calendar.htm was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Also "calendar" : http://rasikas.org/calendar.php given in Post #1 gives the same error.

In Post #12 dt 19June, 2009, it says :
"1. Send your google ID (i.e gmail ID) to the email given in the first post above. This is only required to give you access to the Rasikas calendar."

But, in Post #1 (dt 15 Sep,06), now, I can only see a link to "calendar" : http://rasikas.org/calendar.php
Which email id is being referred to here ?
Also, where are : " "Events Calendar" on the "More features" box on the left."

Perhaps, the above were in the older template of this forum ?

Request, pl clarify the exact steps to approach this forum's "calendar" - to view and to add events respectively (add facility should be restrcited, but read access could be free for all ?).

TIA

kutcheris.com

Post by kutcheris.com »

Would be great to have all of your contributions for the kutcheris.com schedule at http://www.kutcheris.com/schedule.php

Please write in to schedules@kutcheris.com and we'd be happy to list concerts on the website. Give us your feedback as well and we'll do our best to make sure we are meeting your needs.

Thanks,
Vikram

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Hoping that you get support from Sabhas large and small.

An authoritative online listing of daily events, especially with a view of the month ahead, would be invaluable.

A reduction of my reliance on The Hindu would be welcome.

Wishing you every success!