manAsi prasad@bhAratSangeetUtsav(NGS) on Nov 09th,2009

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

manAsi prasad@bhAratSangeetUtsav(NGS) on Nov 09th,2009
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accompanied by V V S Murari - violin , treevAndrum balAji - mrudangam and nerkundram shankar - kanjirA

1A. mini slOkham "nAvamsAmi vaikuNtE"- ??? (tuned like bhaja govindam)
1B. varnam "nee daya rAdA" - AndhOlikA - GNB
2.intanucu varNimpa(S) - gunDakriya - T
4 mins swaras

3. Kshithija Ramanam(R) - devagAndhAri - MD
2 mins each for alApana and violin return
4. sudhAmayi sudhAnidhi (R, N,S)-amritavarshini- HMB
8 mins alApanai and 7 mins violin return
neraval in "sarasijAkSa jaganmOhini sarasarAga maNibhUSaNi" for 5 mins
5 mins swaras

5. ellOrum baLLE ambu vida villA??? - madhyamAvati ?? - PD
6A. rAmA nee yEda (R S T) - kharaharapriya - T
12 mins alApanai and 8 mins violin
7 mins swaram
6B. tani for 10 mins

7A. mini sloKham vittalE vittalE vittalE
7B. a big bAng tujhE sevA gaNi ?? - mAnD - ??

8. thillAna "tanu dheem ta dheem.... parkAdalAi karuNai pozhiyum" - priyadarshini - LGJ
9. mini slokham "shiva nArayanEnthi??" - madhyamAvati

I think like many of you in the forum we know more about manasi prasad in the sense she is very famous to have topped in IIM and then letting go her job in goldmAnsachs(?sucks ;)) and then continuing with her passion music and bharatanAtyam. I just ventured to hear her for the first time and this is my only concert in this year's utsav (blame it on rains and traffic woes)

mAnasi had quite a lot of positive touchpoints in her music . She raises her pitch to a considerable extent and throughout the concert did not sag.

Her start was an emotive slokham and then continued her run with a brigha filled GNB's masterpiece in Andholika varnam. The second number was excellent , raga being gunDakriya is a rare raga and like few of her cousins pharas,lalitha etal, every mm gowlai and its janyas has its charm. For me her swaras were very well done and was my top pick.

d e v a g a n d h a r i contrast was nice and she sang in its usual drowsy and sluggish speed . But in krithi she rushed a bit and to an extent this krithi was not that perfect.

The pick of the day was indeed apt for the rains of chennai . She gave a very excellent alApanai of amrithavarshini cruising with a right speed and her patterns were exquisitive. I guessed the krithi and the famous HMB krithi had a lot of charm. Particularly the neraval in this krithi is something that I dont remember hearing at all. The neraval was done beautifully when she went to swaras there was slightly too much kanakku and incidentally I felt she did not go well rounded there . To a great extent the manOdharmam that was top notch in rAga and neraval was conspicously absent in swaras

A fast PD krithi as filler in madhyamavathi?? was good and her main was time and tested , kind of copy book styled kharaharapriya . Her rendition was nice nothing extraordinary , the swaras were kind of curtailed .

WHy are many upcoming female musicians trying always to learn an a big bang abhang. Is there too much of arunA sayeeram influence there??.To me only few abhangs are classical and good , this mandu mAnd was a dip in her overall presentation and she suddenly appeared as a filmi singer. She regained it well with a nice and rare priyadarshini rAgam thanks to lalgudi's creation.

VVS murAri did not have a clean nAdham , he could have played with more attention (rather less attention)all his violin alApanai was long and not pakkavadhyam proportion. His returns were all very good especially the amrithavarshini.The percussion artists were superb. Treevandrum balAji was strokeful player and lifted the concert to a very high appreciable quality. The kanjira artist nerkundram shankar played well and his tani was well done.

Overall a very good concert lasting for 1 hours and 50 minutes. Certainly a very good first impression .Glad I made it to atleast one concert of utsav.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 09 Nov 2009, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I felt the utsav stage decoration was excellent , to me atleast this concert the volume was a bit high throughout. Nevertheless carnatica has done a great job.I had to leave at the end of manasi's concert and there was a small function followed by Smt arunA sayeeram's concert.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

The opening piece was 'nA(a)ham vasAmi vaikuNte'?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

I think #5 was shree. Same mettu as Bhagyadha Lakshmi baramma.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

My guess - item #5 is ellAnu ballenembuviralla

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

sureshvv wrote:I think #5 was shree. Same mettu as Bhagyadha Lakshmi baramma.
Are you sure suresh .Some sing bhagyAdha in madhyamAvathi ,some in shree rAgam . To me this #5 - ellAnu ballenembuviralla(Tx sreeni that was the one) was more a madhyamAvathi.

Sriram SL

Re: manAsi prasad@bhAratSangeetUtsav(NGS) on Nov 09th,2009

Post by Sriram SL »

Hi,

The thillana presented in this concert is mentioned as "tanu dheem ta dheem.... parkAdalAi karuNai pozhiyum" - priyadarshini - LGJ. I have not heard about such a thillana in Raga Priyadarshini, as composed by Lalgudi Sir. Is this one of his more recent compositions (before his sad demise) ? I am aware of several Lalgudi compositions such as varnams in Mohanam, Sankarabharanam, Hamir Kalyani and a thillana in Hindolavasantam, which he composed in his later years and have not been published yet. Is the thillana in Priyadarsini one of such compositions?
Could someone kindly throw some light on this?

Regards,
Sriram SL

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
Even after the lapse of this many years, your review brings the nearness of a concert to fellow rasikAs. Bless you for the rasikA that you are--no airs, but you are spontaneous in spelling things out, your love for music being the paramount aspect of it all.

Wonder if Manasi gives concerts these days. Didn't she branch out into music with dance? I saw her perform as Meera once...

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The Purandaradasa song is: ellAnu ballenembuviralla ava guNa biDalilla.