Naada Neeraajanam- TTD TV channel - Daily 6.15 pm

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
arasi

Re: Naada Neeraajanam- TTD TV channel - Daily 6.15 pm

Post by arasi »

vsarmaiitm,
Thank you for both posts. I can catch up!

Now the DK family flavor wafting in! Varalakshmi Anandakumar singing...

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

arasi wrote: 16 Feb 2017, 18:55Deleted.
:?: Was the original post that different :P

arasi

Post by arasi »

Not really! My ineptitude or my computer playing tricks on me did that (not so perhaps--may be it was my addled mind). So, I deleted one post.

The lesson: always delete the repeated post!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Amrutha Venkatesh with M.A.Krishnaswamy, Arjun Ganesh and Dr. Ghatam Karthik today at 6pm.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

RS Nandakumar Vocal concert with Prashanth Iyengar on the veena. I've never heard either, so went in blindly.

Just began with a varnam in Panthuvarali by Mysore Sadasiva Rao. Kudos to Nandakumar for bringing out such a rare varnam and presenting a piece with such panache!

Heard that, Vidwans of Chennai???

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Brova Rada in Varunapriya followed by a round of swarams at pallavi.

A Krithi by the vainika in Hamviru on the Kshetra of the day to follow.

Hearing Nandakumar speak is as sweet as his music. Are you listening, Music Academy ;)

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Mediocre and forgettable music, in conclusion. The krithi was imminently forgettable, and the Balagopala was riddled with sruthi lapses. I think I saw the Venkatachalapathi in the background raise a 'SAVE ME' sign in the background, unable to tolerate his music! His speech too deteriorated in quality, becoming hollow and over-exaggerated.

At least the program ended.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

I also found the music less than the enthusiasm.
The singer's website:
http://www.brahmavidya.co.in/faculties/dr-rsn/

CRama

Post by CRama »

Melam72, Your three posts are contradicting. You challenged Chennai vidwans and Music Academy in your first two posts and declared the concert as mediocre and good that it ended in the last post. En inda kolaveri.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

@CRama : maamiyar thollai. Heard snatches because Mamiyar was struggling with her laptop, and, as we all know, History teachers are experts at fixing laptops. Heard a remainder, and couldn't take it anymore.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Today (24.6.2017) : Veena by Jaishree Aravind.
She is a disciple of Sangita Kalanidhi K S Narayanaswami.
A pure style.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

I caught a lovely Meru Samana with swarams and neraval at Alakala Nomu before I stepped out for dinner. Staying in Coimbatore is not doing her any favours.

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

Sowmya' s Thyagaraja Ramayana is on now.

Sivaramakrishnan

We are really blessed to have Nada Naadaneerajanam everyday evening at the most auspicious time. The Tirumala Tirupati Devastanam /SVBC is doing admirable job to put everything in place for prompt telecast of the daily events. It offers variety as well as coverage of artists from the whole of India The artists are also duly honoured with the divine bonus of enabling darsan of the Lord. Though resources are aplenty, those concerned at SVBC (including the technicians) in organising and airing the music/ dance programmes deserve a big SABASH for their commendable job especially since the events are telecast live.
Musicians consider it a great privilege as they get 'world exposure'. It is an important credential in their bio data.

The signature (title) music with retrospective visuals of the events is excellent.

Om Namo Venkatesaya!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Sivaramakrishnan, rightly said. 👍

SVBC is one of the few things of reliability and predictability in our musical world.

In comparison, classical music dished out elsewhere on TV is plagued by lack of programming, curating, and quality of presentations. The worst is Sri Sankara TV where they don't think twice about interrupting Nanati Bratuku sung in melancholic Revathi in a garish backdrop with psychedelic lights and poor camera work right in the middle to peddle Ramaraj Silk Vestis ideal for connubial bliss.

However I would love to hear from musicians themselves how their performing experience has been - the arrangements, the audience, the darshan component.

Again hats off to SVBC. I continue to maintain that Tirumala Balaji temple is something every Indian should be proud of.

🙏 Om Namo Venkateshaya 🙏

Sivaramakrishnan

Well Sachi,
One thing the Naadaneeraajanam telecasts need to ensure is the Audio-Video sync. Non-sync affects programmes like laya ensembles in particular wherein it is important that the 'sight and sound of Taala' match perfectly!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Agreed! But I am living with this problem with almost all videos-YT, websites, and live feeds like SVBC. I don't know what is the errant factor in the chain.
If any media ir URL is playable on VLC (its better implementation is called BS ☺️), it can be fixed during replay by adjusting the video/audio delay.

By the way, just discovered that the SVBC channel has its own Android app with live streaming, with no loss of quality. Also on YouTube.

makham

Post by makham »

Joining the kudos to SVBC, that provides commercials-mukt program for 90 minutes, featuring a good cross section of artistes. I also endorse the brickbats thrown at Sankara TV - interrupting a song in the middle may show lack of sensitivity. What is worse is that they interrupt poojya Sringeri Acharyas' arul vakku in between a sentence to air commercials on cement, coffee and real estate. This is utter disrespect to the Acharyas.

AIR Chennai is also to be commended for broadcasting vintage stuff from their archives - yesterday there was a clean recording of Brinda-Mukta concert with RK Venkatrama Sastry and Coimbatore N Ramaswamy. The recording and airing quality was so good.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Makham! 🙏

I told a functionary in Sringeri Mutt that breaking up Swamiji's discourse or Pooja webcast for adverts peddling sarees, matrimony meets, dhoti, old age home, gold... was condemnable and should be stopped. He laughed and said, "Come on, we are a commercial channel. Someone is making money through this."

I also reached out to Kamadhenu office near IISc. They hung up on me.

Sivaramakrishnan

Ok friends, tell more about achieving audio-video sync in SVBC telecasts.

sachi, am I to believe that the 'sync-deficency' is the bane of only carnatic music?

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

No, any video recording postprocessed multiple times or put through certain online processes can develop that. It could be multiple reasons, so not only CM.

By the way Nisha Rajagopalan on SVBC just now. No A/V lag.

Sivaramakrishnan

Unfortunately I've come across the problem only in Carnatic music (live) telecasts!

jodha

Post by jodha »

It is a shame on them.In spite of the huge money they have they are unable to correct it for years.Their CEO may be fired.
By the by Nisha sang without much dedication IMO.Her Shubhapantuvarali - Srisathyanarayanam was insipid.The main Kambodhi - majanaki was better.

Sivaramakrishnan

N J Nandini sang on 30 July Sunday. It was a brilliant concert with Oothukadu Venkata Kavi's 'Venugana Ramana' in Todi.

Sivaramakrishnan

Sachi_R wrote: 27 Jul 2017, 18:57 No, any video recording postprocessed multiple times or put through certain online processes can develop that. It could be multiple reasons, so not only CM.
Watch Naadaneerajanam being telecast now ( 03 Aug Thursday 6 pm onwards)- it's a Kuchupudi dance recital (artists: Mungara Sridevi & Chinmayi USA).

Audio-video sync seems to be better compared to music concert.

kssr

Post by kssr »

" Watch Naadaneerajanam being telecast now ( 03 Aug Thursday 6 pm onwards)- it's a Kuchupudi dance recital (artists: Mungara Sridevi & Chinmayi USA). Audio-video sync seems to be better compared to music concert."

The mismatch is more noticeable only when the artist puts thaalam and we too try it at the same time :)

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Right.

jodha

Post by jodha »

Just listened to Ashtaman Pillai concert.a classical no frills concert.his pidis were grand yet humble.Todi kadhanuvariki ked.gowla venuganaloluni mukhari sivakamasundari all presented very well.From Kerala it seems.

Sivaramakrishnan

Smt G Baby Sriram presented a very good recital on 9th Aug.
Ranganayakam (Nayaki - Dikshitar) was the opening piece.
The 'Main' was Swati Tirunal's Kripaya paalaya Sourey' in Charukesi.
A brilliant recital.

(As I couldn't catch up with the live telecast, watched the same in YouTube later)

CRama

Post by CRama »

She sang Kalaye deva in Rajani (Swati) and Krishna nee begane baro. Good concert. But a bit struggled to negotiate the higher notes.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Yesterday Vechoor Sankar presented a good concert. Sarasaksha was the main song. Other songs, Muladharakshetra in Mayamalavagowla, Brindavananilaye (Reetigowla), Sujanajeevana, Mapala etc.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Vechoor sankar's presentation was very strange and as such i could not enjoy the concert.Though the song selection was good,the concert was not appealing to me.

jodha

Post by jodha »

Balu Raghuram violin with Subhadra on vina and Aditya on violin with MAE & BSP giving a good performance.Their Sarasangi Jaya jaya padhmanabha was executed well.Young Aditya playing an alluring mohanam.good bowing.evarura being played.

Sivaramakrishnan

Yes, the trio gave a fine concert.

Sarasangi was a perfect choice for the start.

I could notice a Lalgudi influence in the playing of Aditya.

The Veena lent a special charm.

Mannargudi Easwaran and Purushotham gave excellent percussion support.

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

Mambalam Sisters vocal duet with R Hemalatha and Ganapathy Raman is on air now.

jodha

Post by jodha »

Palghat Ramprasad concert was very engaging.
Narayana pantuvarali with good svarams purakara hamirkalyani a malayslam song in dvijavanti good thodi rsjuvedala.L.ramakrishnan & U.mali supported greatly.

CRama

Post by CRama »

The concert of Palghat Ramaprasad was very good. Correct list of songs.
Harinarayana-Panthuvarali. (I heard from this song only) with elabrate neraval and swarams
Dwijavanthi elaborate alapana fllowed by Taruni janan enthu cheyvu
Puraharananadana-Hameerkalyani with swarams
Rajuvedala-Thodi, alapana, neraval swarams
Bhavayami Gopalabalam-Yamunakalyani.

But I have some observations.
Harinarayana- A highly devotional outpour of Purandaradasa usually sung by MSS, MLV, KVN etc in Kedaram. This song has been tuned in Panthuvarali and elaborate neraval and swarams added. There are umpteen songs in Panthuvarali. Why to convert this to PV, do elaborate neraval and swarams and dilute the devotional element of the song. Secondly, Dwijavanthi alapana was very good, elaborate with lot of SSI sangatis. But the song was not appropriate to the ragam rendered or the venue where nobody understood Malayalam. Chetasree would have been best suited for the occasion and the expansive ragam rendered.

jodha

Post by jodha »

Cramaji,
This prog.is seen globally so a song in Malayalam can be accepted.If U say so whatbout the HM concerts in this channel.Let us broaden our views.
There was too staunch yadhukulalambodhi pidi in dvijavanti.may be technically alright.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Did anyone listen to the Kerala drum concert. Sri. Tirupunitura Krishna das(?). Violin and mridangam are supposed to be his accompaniments. Would be nice, if the drum is an additional percussion for a vocal or violin concert instead of taking centre stage. The artist is obviously highly talented.

Wouldnt be surprised that we will soon have a morsing concert with vocal, violin, flute, veena, mridangam and kanjira as accompaniment.

arasi

Post by arasi »

A 'more sing' concert would surely be our choice--
A morsing concert? That's perplexing, vexing too!

Even Bhagyalakshmi, the skilled young artiste whose lively playing is charming, cannot make rasikAs sit through a whole solo concert!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

I think KSSR is having a dig.
And you are having pun, Arasi.
That is really fun.

arasi

Post by arasi »

:)

Sivaramakrishnan

kssr wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 20:01 Did anyone listen to the Kerala drum concert. Sri. Tirupunitura Krishna das(?). Violin and mridangam are supposed to be his accompaniments. Would be nice, if the drum is an additional percussion for a vocal or violin concert instead of taking centre stage. The artist is obviously highly talented.

Wouldnt be surprised that we will soon have a morsing concert with vocal, violin, flute, veena, mridangam and kanjira as accompaniment.
Its not just a 'drum' but known as Idacka. The 'IDACKA' or 'EDAKKA" can produce all the notes in an octave (and a few notes beyond the upper shadjam). It is literally a 'singing drum' normally used to accompany 'soapaana sangitam' in temples in Kerala where ritualistic devotionals and most importantly Ashtapadis are sung. It is also one of the instruments in the Panchavadyam percussion ensemble played in festivals Kerala. The two sides of the drum are connected with strings (of tough fibre). While playing the vadya with the striker, the left hand has to clasp the connecting yarns and adjust the temper to produce the required note. Listen carefully, the striking comes with a vibration that defines the note. Divine instruments of yore!!

Morsing won't fit the centre stage as it can produce only a single note. Sukanya Ramgopal plays songs with Ghata but you must have seen her using more than one Ghata each with a different pitch to form the raga scale.

Of course, in the Edacka concert of 23 Aug discussed above, the violin support was commendable.

The Gumki (Idanthalai-left side) of Mridanga / Tabla can yield only a couple of notes demanding much skill. Ultimately Idacka reigns supreme as the singing drum among the traditional musical instruments.

Sivaramakrishnan

Yesterday (25th Aug Friday) it was Bharatanatyam by a troupe from Chennai and it was quite good. The (live) music section was very supportive - the Nattuvangam in particular.
(Sorry, I don't remember the name of the troupe. Should be available in YouTube )

jodha

Post by jodha »

Mughathala V.Shivaj singing .nice singing without frills.main madhyamavathi ramakatha bilahari paridhanamichithe annapoorne sama venkatachala nilayam presented well.
Good accompaniments.Udupi bros.balasubhramanian&balakrishnan on violin & mridangam resply.singjng khanas thillana of patnam.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Today 6 PM, there was a very good concert by a young vidwan from Trivandrum, Sreedev Rajagopal. Never heard his name. On googling, I could get that he hails from Kottayam and studied in Swati Tirunal College of Music , Trivandrum and settled in TVM. Could not get other info as to his gurus. Sang many songs- Sreepathe-Vachaspati (Tulasivanam), Anupamagunambudhi, Brochevarevarura, Chootamurare, Paramapurusha-Vasantha, Vasundharatanaya-Bhairavi as Main and Annamayya song in Misra Jog. Should hear more of this vidwan.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Kerala has many singers who are not known widely. Kerala also draws good audience for CM concerts. The singer did good justice and sang with confidence and grip.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

CRama,
He sang impressivrely.
I found him in FB and wished him for which he replied immediately.It seems he is employed in the same college that he studied.His FB profile says so.
His Arabhi & Bhairavi were v.g.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

kvchellappa wrote: 25 Oct 2017, 06:44 Kerala has many singers who are not known widely. Kerala also draws good audience for CM concerts. The singer did good justice and sang with confidence and grip.
Perhaps the only state which has true music lovers who flock in huge numbers specially in those concerts held in temples and in the open auditoriums irrespective of who is performing. Many of these artists for some reason do not attempt to come out of the state.

One of the brilliant young artist was Ambikapuram Sivaraman whose recordings were made available in plenty in YT. But havnt seen any new recordings lately.

sukumar

Post by sukumar »

Now Prapancham Balachandran on fulte... But the instruments are not aligned to the Shruthi... Any one listening the concert ? Learned rasikas can correct me