Naada Neeraajanam- TTD TV channel - Daily 6.15 pm

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
kssr

Re: Naada Neeraajanam- TTD TV channel - Daily 6.15 pm

Post by kssr »

Today 22.7.2010 (written before I forget details!)

Kasthuri Rangan- Vocal
Madurai Balasubramanian- Violin
Mudra Bhaskar- Mridangam
Shankar-Khanjira

Song List:
1. Ninnukori- Varnam- Mohanam-short swaram
2. Sriman Narayana- Bowli
3. Padmavathi Ramanan-Poorvi Kalyani- Alapana, Swaram for Saga Manditha Samudra Sevyam.
4. Naamorala Kimpave Ayya Venkataramana- Yedukula Kambodhi- Annamacharya
5. Thertheeyakaraadaa- Gowlipanthu-Thyagaraja
6. Sediyaya valvinaikal theerkkum Thirumaale-Kulasekhara Azhwar?-Virutham followed by
(Main) Saraguna Paalimpa- Kedaragowla- Alapana, short neraval @ Varaguna Seshadri, Swaram
7. Thani
8. Sreenivasa Thiruvengadamudayan- Hamsanandi
9. Venkatachala Nilayam-Sindhu Bhairavi.

Some Comments:

Sriman Narayana in Bowli was popularised by MSS in a flat bhakti bhava style. Here KR made it a fully briga laden song. Equally enjoyable.

Padmavathi Ramanam by Oothukkadu is a beautiful keerthani, may be not as popular as it deserves to be. Here the rendition was superb.

The virutham "Sediyaya valvinaikal theerkkum" has been rendered in many ragas by TNS but this is the first time I heard in Kedara gowla. Probably due to want of time in the short programme, KR could not go up and down the paasuram to emphasise the "padiyai kidandu un pavaLa vaai kaaNpene"- the key phrase. The kedara gowla alapanai was good. The swaraprasthara was exceptionally impressive.

Kasthuri Rangan is one of the few in CM, who is naturally endowed with a rolling briga laden voice (like MLV, TNS), such that they can casually throw in a crisp briga in most unexpected niches, to the great delight of listeners. Briga producers with lot of training and effort are sometimes strenuous to listen!
The few sruti lapses could have been avoided but very much excusable in the overall good quality of the concert! One reason could be the constant irritation caused by the numerous flies in the venue. They probably prefer the music to the laddus! SVBC which is doing such yeoman service to CM, can fumigate the venue such that artists can sing peacefully.

The thukkadas Srinivasa tiruvengadamudayaan and Venkataachala being so often repeated in this programme really test our patience, in spite of the renditions being of good quality. Future performers should choose other Tirupathi songs.

Overall the concert was very good , enjoyable and satisfactory.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Yes, "seDiyAya valvinaigaL" is by KulasEkhara AzhwAr. That pAsuram along with nine others are on Lord VenkatEswara of Tirumalai.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

kssr wrote: 4. Naamorala Kimpave Ayya Venkataramana- Yedukula Kambodhi- Annamacharya
Isn't this song by annamAchAryA's son, pedda tirumalAchAryA, or grandson, chinna tirumalAchArya?

kssr

Post by kssr »

ksrimech wrote: Isn't this song by annamAchAryA's son, pedda tirumalAchAryA, or grandson, chinna tirumalAchArya?
It was announced that it was by Annamacharya. They might be mistaken too.

mamani

Post by mamani »

ANNOUNCEEMENT
WATCH MRS.SUBHA GANESAN VOCAL CONCERT ON 29th JULY NADANIRANJANAM TTD TV CHANNEL NAME OF THE ACCCOMPANING ARTISTS NOT MENTIONED INTHE LIST

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

[/quote]
Isn't this song by annamAchAryA's son, pedda tirumalAchAryA, or grandson, chinna tirumalAchArya?[/quote]

Naamorala kimpave is composed by Thalapakkam Chinnaiah

kartik_krish

Post by kartik_krish »

Trichy Ganesan is a very good singer,IIRC I heard a great AIR concert several years back, he sang Rukmini Pathe in Priyadarshini and elaborated that.Tough choice to enjoy,but yes,for some strange reason,an RTP has been rendered in this raga!

kssr

Post by kssr »

kartik_krish wrote:Trichy Ganesan is a very good singer,IIRC I heard a great AIR concert several years back, he sang Rukmini Pathe in Priyadarshini and elaborated that.Tough choice to enjoy,but yes,for some strange reason,an RTP has been rendered in this raga!
Cannot understand in what context it is written here. Yes. I heard Trichy Ganesan's concert in NN. Very impressive; but that was in April and I had made a brief review under this heading.

Any connection between him and Smt.Subha Ganesan. Not clear.

kartik_krish

Post by kartik_krish »

What I meant was as a singer he is very good,nothing against him, but on that day he elaborated Priyadarshini(several years ago in AIR)which is a minor raga.In fact,I think I have a recording of the same.

mamani

Post by mamani »

as a rasika of smt subha ganesan i know that trichi sri ganesan is not related to mrs subha. mrs suhbhas father is sri karaikudi ganesan(miruthanga idwan)and her husband sri ganesan is a manager in aprivate company

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

kssr wrote:Saga Manditha Samudra Sevyam.
I didn't see this before. It should be saha paNDita samUha sEvyam

kssr

Post by kssr »

ksrimech wrote: I didn't see this before. It should be saha paNDita samUha sEvyam
I stand corrected. Thanks. Just wrote based on what I heard, which is obviously inadequate! Also, what you have written immediately makes sense in spite of my limited sanskrit knowledge.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

kssr, I probably have as much knowledge as you might have or lesser. I have heard Sri Ravikiran sing and explain this song. Its etched in my memory. Thats all. :grin:

arasi

Post by arasi »

Krishna,
If I had known as much as you do when I was your age :( Even now, I find that you know more than I do ;)

kssr

Post by kssr »

Yesterday 3rd August there was the concert of an young lady Smt. Mahati. I am listening first time to her. Quite impressive. Initial half hour was flawless and good sruthi alignment. She has chosen a very high pitch. The main was Madhyamavathi. The song "Venkatesa Ninnu Sevimpa"- Thyagaraja Kriti. Opening Pallavi itself is on the higher octave and the song stays there. One got the feeling that the programme would have been much more enjoyable had Mahati chosen a pitch slightly lesser. While trying to climb the higher phrases, she lost the inherent beauty of the song. Still no major mistakes. It is just my personal impression. Also I felt that during swaras, the swara spelt was different from the one actually reached. An ending SA SA clearly showed the slope of NI SA. If she tones down a wee bit, we will have a very good artist.

Wish her the very best of luck. Do not know anything about her- place, guru, etc., Got a feeling that she was trying to demonstrate the flamboyance of Sudha Raghunathan. Looks achievable with a little care.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

arasi wrote: Even now, I find that you know more than I do ;)
ammayArE, enna kindala? inga oru post ozhunga ezhuda mudiyala. neengo vara appappo kaala vaari udarele!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Krishna,
Believe it or not, I'm not hilarity-prone all the time--so, you may take my words seriously at times, yes...

kssr

Post by kssr »

Today's concert was a veena performance of a senior lady Dr.R.S. Jayalakshmi. I tuned in late. It was an excellent performance. There was a ragam and Thanam in Shanmukhapriya followed by the krithi Marivere Dikkevvare Rama. Sangathis flowed like a continuous unstoppable stream. Extremely melodious and perfect rendition.

We keep wondering as to how many gems like these we miss out, overshadowed just by a few musicians. To the best of my knowledge, never heard her name in Bangalore. She does not seem to have been included in Veenotsava of Mudhra later this month.

A name to remember, for sure. Many thanks to SVBC.

nyanasthan

Post by nyanasthan »

kssr wrote:
. Do not know anything about her- place, guru, etc., Got a feeling that she was trying to demonstrate the flamboyance of Sudha Raghunathan. Looks achievable with a little care.
Mhathi is a young vocalist and a disciple of SangithaKalanidhi 'Madurai T N Seshagopalan.

kssr

Post by kssr »

kssr wrote:Today's concert was a veena performance of a senior lady Dr.R.S. Jayalakshmi. She does not seem to have been included in Veenotsava of Mudhra later this month.

A name to remember, for sure. Many thanks to SVBC.
Her name is very much there on the Veenotsava list, even before the inauguration.Sorry about the oversight.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

I have been posting the Nada Neerajanam at You tube regularly . These have to be removed on request from SVBchannal. Sorry they are not available now
venkatakailasam-11-08-10

venkatakailasam

MODORATER can decide whether this can posted?

I owe a little more explanation as to what went wrong with my uploads at You Tube
regarding SVBC concerts as I felt very sad to remove nearly 160+ uploads of very Good concerts which were well taken by viewers –notably from other countries who were not able to view the live programme.

There was a Dance performance by Kalaimamani Urmila Satyanarayana on 18th May 2010 at SVBC which I have recorded and uploaded with You Tube. One of the viewers commented that ( the song was Ramaya Ramabadraya) the performer was not Smt Urmila Satyanarayana. Initially I ignored the comment. This view was agreed to by another viewer. The first viewer commented that she was 100% sure that the performer must be one of Smt Urmila’s student. I tend to agree with this as I subsequently noticed that Smt Urmila was born in 1960 .

I made a reference to Smt Urmila herself. She confirmed that the performer was one of her students . Honestly, without realizing that it can hurt her , I included the name of the student as the performer –a student of Smt Urmila .

She must have taken up the matter with SVBC, as on the same day I was requested to
delete all the files of SVBC.

Initially I thought that SVBC will be requesting all the uploaders to delete SVBC recordings. But it is not so. Others files still hang around YOU TUBE.
I allowed the matter to rest as it is. (There are 750 files as on date at http://www.youtube.com/user/vkailasam )

kssr

Post by kssr »

Today 12th August 2010, I heard the concert of Smt.V.Sumitra. She has a full solid voice, comparable to veterans. Her confidence and clarity made me assume that she must be a disciple of some male stalwart. Then I learnt that she is the prime disciple of Smt.Vedavalli. Very good in many respects.

There were elaborations of Atana, Mukhari (Enthaninne)and Kedaragowla (Saraguna Paalimpa). The stamp of authority in each sangathi, total adherence to sruthi were impressive. Special mention is to be made about the swaraprasthaaram. It was not just a dumping of a lot of swaras at breakneck speed. In each cycle we could see that it is just an extension of the raga alapana, the raga bhavam shining at every turn. It is made possible by the appropriately timed brighas for specific characteristic swara korvais with lovely stretching of some swaras and equally important pauses.

She has definitely made her guru proud with this rendition. I wonder if she will get good exposure this season. If someone wants to listen to soulful traditional flawless CM, Smt.Sumitra is a good bet.
Last edited by kssr on 13 Aug 2010, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

kssr,
I have heard vINai Jayalakshmi several years ago and her playing was extremely pleasing. If you are talking about the same person, she is a senior vidUshi but not a senior by any means!

About nAda nIrAjanam: hope it continues. If a concert is on every single evening and even if a handful of popular performers are invited a few times during the year, what an impressive number of young artistes and not so well-known seniors get the exposure they need! mArgazhi mahA utsavam has brought CM to many homes--a month long event. I cannot imagine how much this every day program is contributing to the spread of CM. Who said CM is stagnant?

kssr

Post by kssr »

arasi wrote:kssr,
I have heard vINai Jayalakshmi several years ago and her playing was extremely pleasing. If you are talking about the same person, she is a senior vidUshi but not a senior by any means!
She is 60. (Senior?) Saw her profile below using google.

http://rsjayalakshmi.com/profile.php

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

60 is middle age, these days! Senior does not start until one is ready to be summoned to the final abode (OK, a few days before). :grin:

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ah, scientist, please let's make it many 'years' of youthful senior years before the journey, shall we? Thanks :D

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

arasi:
I gave you more than what you wanted. I said the "senior" status does not begin until a few days before the final journey. So nobody is a senior among us. In effect the senior status is what eveybody would like--to meet the maker, if you believe there is one (of course after several years of productive and satisfactory life). :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

But you're only human. The boon has to come from above! Anyway, what we cannot have enough of is the goodwill of fellow humans. Of the countless kODi inbangaL on earth that bhArathi sings about, that's one we all need for sure to make the journey here on earth a pleasant one too!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

In this context, I am reminded of the saying, "Everyone wants to go to heaven, but no-one wants to die!"
;)

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

mahakavi wrote:60 is middle age, these days! Senior does not start until one is ready to be summoned to the final abode (OK, a few days before). :grin:
That is like after AzhvAr sang tALatAmarai padigam, maNavALamAmuni sang Artiprabhadam and tyAgarAjasvAmi sang giripai nelakonna and paritApamukoniyADina. :grin:

venkatakailasam

Ethanai kodi inbam vaithai at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kViDKusojSc

vkailasam

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Is that supposed to be a KTP (kriti-tAnam-pallavi)? It appears so with a little tAnam, and a little swaram with the pallavi line "ettanai kOTi..." . She sang one more line from the song. What kind of revolutionary approach is this? To me, it does not do justice to Bharathi's song. :(

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9JvmXZZ ... re=related
A decent rendition of ettanai kOTi inbam by Priya sisters. Clear diction, pleasant voice.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Today there was a function to celebrate the completion of one year of Nada Neerajanam. Nedunuri Gaaru with his disciples- Malladi bros, MS Sheela, Nithyashri and several others made an initial presentation. I heard the concluding Entaro Mahanubavulu. It was followed by Kanyakumari's violin ensemble, with her disciples. More of a bhajan type of programme. The astonishing perfection makes the program a rivetting experience. The large audience joined in the bhajan Govinda Govinda with loud chorus and claps(Thaalam?).

We,CM lovers, wish SVBC the best of luck and SV's blessings to continue this wonderful service in the years to come.

harimau

Post by harimau »

As kssr said, it was indeed a grand function to mark the first anniversary of Nada Neerajanam.

The very special program saw several eminent Carnatic musicians who are stars in their own individual right come together to mark the occasion.

In the men's section, I saw Sangeetha Kalanidhi Sri Nedunuri Krishnamurthi Garu, Malladi Sri Suri Babu, the Malladi Brothers (Sriram Prasad and Ravikumar), Sri Abhishek Raghuram and Sri Pattabhiram Pandit. The women's section had Smt Nithyasri Mahadevan, Smt M S Sheela, Kumari Nisha Rajagopal, Kumari K Gayathri, Smt Ranjani (Hebbar) Guruprasad and Smt Vandana (?).

The accompanists were: Sri Palghat Sriram on the flute; Peri Sri Sreerama Murthy and Embar Kannan on the violin; Smt Jayalakshmi Sekhar on the veena; Master Sathyanarayana on the keyboard; Sri K Arun Prakash on the mridangam; Sri A S Krishnan on the morsing. In addition, there were other musicians on the mridangam, tabla and ghatam (one each) whom I could not identify by name.

The program had a selection of compositions from eight different composers. The program opened with the Devagandhari composition "Koluvaiyunnade" of Sri Thyaga Brahmam which describes the splendor of the darbar as Sri Rama ruled over Ayodhya. The concert included compositions from Sri Bhadrachala Ramadas (Ramabhadra Ra Ra, Sankarabharanam), Sri Muthuswamy Deekshithar (Sri Venkata Gireesam, Surutti), Sri Narayana Theertha (Pahi Pahi Mam, Jonpuri), Sri Sadasiva Brahmendra (Bhajare Gopalam, Hindolam), Sri Syama Sastri (Karuna Joodu, Sri), Sri Tallapaka Annamacharya (Navaneetha Chora Namo Nama, Senchurutti), and Sri Purandara Dasa (Venkatachala Nilayam, Sindhu Bhairavi).

There was a special composition by Sri Pappu Venugopala Rao in praise of the eight composers whose compositions were used in the program and the celebration of Nada Neerajanam. Sri Nedunuri Garu announced that this was set to tune in Kalyani by Sri Malladi Suri Babu.

"Endaro Mahanubhavulu" was the last piece before mangalam.

Sri Malladi Suri Babu spoke briefly before each piece talking about the significance of the krithi or the greatness of the composer.

On Aug 15, SVBC is presenting a very special program. It is a presentation of Ramayana by a Balinese dance troupe.

PS. I will add details as I recall them. I hope someone will give me the names of the artists I did not recognize. Their names need to be up here to record our appreciation for their contributions.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Thanks for the details missed by me. It would be nice if you can fill in the details of Kanyakumari's programme as well. I did not record it on tape, on paper or my mind :)

tkb

Post by tkb »

I think the artists led by Sri Nendunuri Garu were Sri Malladi Suri Babu, Malladi Brothers, Sri Abhisek Raghuram, Sri Pattabiram Pandit, Vidhushis Smt Nithyashree Mahadevan, Smt. M.S. Sheela, Smt Tirupathi K. Vandana, Smt. Ranjani Hebbar, Sow. Nisha Rajagopal, Sow. K. Gayathri, Violin Vidwans Sri Perri Sriramulu, Sri Embar S. Kannan, Veena vidhushi Smt. Jayalakshmi Sekar, Sri Palghat Sriram on Flute, Mrudhanga vidwans Sri M.L.N. Raju, Sri Arun Prakash, Sri Udipi Sridhar on Ghatam, Sri Ganapathy on Tabla and Sri A.S. Krishnan on the Morsing. It was indeed a great blessing for my son to have got an oppurtunity to be with these great musicians.

Here is a link on youtube which just gives an understanding of the programme. It is not full length video of any particular krithi. Hope some one has recorded the live telecast and would upload in some form for every one to enjoy this grand presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 0E0EA03E3D

arasi

Post by arasi »

tkb,.
Thank you for the link. Yes, I see Satya playing in that star-studded program.

kssr,
I just saw your link about Dr. Jayalakshmi. Now that we have the pictures, we can see that the vInA vidushis are two different Jayalakshmis!.The one I've heard is J. Sekhar and she is the one who is seen playing in the youtube segments posted by tkb.

kssr

Post by kssr »

arasi wrote:

kssr,
I just saw your link about Dr. Jayalakshmi. Now that we have the pictures, we can see that the vInA vidushis are two different Jayalakshmis!.The one I've heard is J. Sekhar and she is the one who is seen playing in the youtube segments posted by tkb.
And also the discussion about "seniority" may be put to rest :)

nag45

Post by nag45 »

Two days back, there was an excellent concert of Ranjani and Gayatri. Is it possible to get the song list? There was a fast paced krithi of Thyagaraja towards the end of the programme commencing with "Varada". Any details of that song please?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

nag45 wrote: There was a fast paced krithi of Thyagaraja towards the end of the programme commencing with "Varada". Any details of that song please?
Could it have been "Vara nArada"? That is in Vijayasri, kind of a fast varali. Featured as a filler frequently and the adventurous do a swaraprasthara also.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Sri.V.Sankaranarayanan- Vocal
Sri.M.A.Krishnaswamy-Violin
Sri.Mridangam- Mridangam (I think you know!)
Sri.Sankar-Ghatam

Due to Sri.Balaji's timely message thro a separate string, I tuned in for this concert. Listening first time to VS. Very Good concert.

1. Ganamurthe- Impeccable clarity and ragabhavam. Linking "Rukmini- Maanasaapahaara" was a good improvisation.

2. Naaraayanathe Namo Namo- 5 gana raagamalika. Sruthi lapses here and there. Looking down frequently (for a notebook reference?) hindered the easy flow. Also the chittaswaras meeting the new raga was not seamless.

3. Garudagamana samayamidhe-Naagaswaravali- Ragam and song went well. Got a clear feeling that he should practise much more before attempting swaraprasthara for this. It was quite slippery.

4. Vara Naarada Naarayana- Vijayasri

5. Sri Venkatesam- Thodi- Main. Very good presentation of ragam and song. Brilliant neraval and swarams at Maara Janakam Madhava naamakam. Due to paucity of time in this short concert, he had to cut short. This was the best piece and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

6. Naarayana ninna naamada- Suddha Dhanyasi. Lot of problems in regaining correct sruti after thani and also due to rush of allotted time. Bad pronunciation- naaLigeyge instead of naaligeyge (to the tongue), Krishna krishnaa endo instead of embo, Vittala raayaNa (3 suzhi) instead of raayana. Should learn it from some one who knows Kannada. Such pronunciation will make his concert bomb in Bangalore :)

Overall quite impressive.

MAK, as usual, uninterested and unimpressive. I always feel that in spite of excellent vidwat, he has totally lost interest. Hope I am wrong.

Sri.Balaji and Sankar gave understanding and good support.

Is it in good taste for a young vocalist like VS to say sabhash to a senior violinist. I felt aaha would have been a better expression to express joy and appreciation on such occasions.

MAK's daughter,( I guess,) was always having a broad smile illuminating the stage and patiently playing the tambura and also thoroughly enjoying the concert. Coming from a great musical tradition, we wish her a very good future in CM.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

>>Is it in good taste for a young vocalist like VS to say sabhash to a senior violinist. I felt aaha would have been a better expression to express joy and appreciation on such occasions.<<

Sometimes some musicians say "sabhAsh" to themselves after uttering some cute phrases. :grin:

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

I also saw Shankar's concert, and quite agree with kssr. He sang excellently, if you leave out shruti lapses here and there. Some times, words were split not quite right, so he could focus more on sahityam part also. Not many vocalist sing narayanate in gana panchaga raga - i have heard MS Amma's version. Good support from MAK & Balaji. Swaras in garudagamana was interesting. Singing suddha dhanyasi piece after todi main - is it a right choice?

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

pattamaa wrote:I Singing suddha dhanyasi piece after todi main - is it a right choice?
Now a days most artists donot think of the right choice or order. Even renowned artists present both Manji and Bhairavi in the same concert with a gap of 2 songs in betwenn. Also Thodi and Asaveri.

Harini.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Yesterday it was Papanasam Ashok Ramani.

What a pity! He gave us an abhishekam with bucketfuls of apaswaram. But he is very consistent with his performance :) Last time I was forced to listen to his concert at Odakathur mutt, when he was the replacement artist in place of E.Gayathri who did not turn up. I had gone for EG's concert and ended up with ....

At least he can drop the Papanasam title. Why bring disrepute to the title of one of the greatest composers of CM.

arasi

Post by arasi »

kssr,
Come, come, however much you do not relish his music, it's not fair to ask him to give up his family name! Wouldn't we all be proud to have a grandfather of Sivan's stature?
Moreover, we are (and are supposed to be) kind to fellow forumites. He is (was?) one :)
Yes, I once heard him sing at the MA too.

kssr

Post by kssr »

arasi wrote:kssr,
Wouldn't we all be proud to have a grandfather of Sivan's stature?

Yes. But we (for that matter, even I :) ) would have learnt to sing better!!
Moreover, we are (and are supposed to be) kind to fellow forumites. He is (was?) one :)
Sorry for my unkindness :?:
Yes, I once heard him sing at the MA too.
And........................... I am sure that you do not want to say anything more of what you heard.......... due to your kind nature.

In a positive note, I would still suggest that he can go to a good guru and get his fundamentals right. eg: SA for six months and so on. There is no one who cannot improve. Given his backround he can definitely become a good artist. We wish him the very best of luck.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Yesterday was Kum.Manasi Prasad's vocal concert. Mohana Raama in Mohanam was the main. It is difficult to make mohanam a success. The swara sequences are deceptively simple. Manasi's attempt in swaraprastha showed how difficult it is to land and hold on to the perfect swarasthanas.
Manasi is a BE, MBA. Dancer, light music, jugalbandi, choreography as meera, etc., etc., For such thin distribution of available time, her CM programme can still qualify as an average to good performance.

She has the potential to be a decent musician. Needs training under a senior guru. Possibly also cut down the range of activities. CM is tough and to achieve stardom needs single minded devotion. Any amount of promotion alone will not be sufficient.

We wish her a bright future.