Naada Neeraajanam- TTD TV channel - Daily 6.15 pm

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
mahakavi

Re: Naada Neeraajanam- TTD TV channel - Daily 6.15 pm

Post by mahakavi »

60 is middle age, these days! Senior does not start until one is ready to be summoned to the final abode (OK, a few days before). :grin:

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ah, scientist, please let's make it many 'years' of youthful senior years before the journey, shall we? Thanks :D

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

arasi:
I gave you more than what you wanted. I said the "senior" status does not begin until a few days before the final journey. So nobody is a senior among us. In effect the senior status is what eveybody would like--to meet the maker, if you believe there is one (of course after several years of productive and satisfactory life). :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

But you're only human. The boon has to come from above! Anyway, what we cannot have enough of is the goodwill of fellow humans. Of the countless kODi inbangaL on earth that bhArathi sings about, that's one we all need for sure to make the journey here on earth a pleasant one too!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

In this context, I am reminded of the saying, "Everyone wants to go to heaven, but no-one wants to die!"
;)

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

mahakavi wrote:60 is middle age, these days! Senior does not start until one is ready to be summoned to the final abode (OK, a few days before). :grin:
That is like after AzhvAr sang tALatAmarai padigam, maNavALamAmuni sang Artiprabhadam and tyAgarAjasvAmi sang giripai nelakonna and paritApamukoniyADina. :grin:

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Ethanai kodi inbam vaithai at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kViDKusojSc

vkailasam

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Is that supposed to be a KTP (kriti-tAnam-pallavi)? It appears so with a little tAnam, and a little swaram with the pallavi line "ettanai kOTi..." . She sang one more line from the song. What kind of revolutionary approach is this? To me, it does not do justice to Bharathi's song. :(

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9JvmXZZ ... re=related
A decent rendition of ettanai kOTi inbam by Priya sisters. Clear diction, pleasant voice.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Today there was a function to celebrate the completion of one year of Nada Neerajanam. Nedunuri Gaaru with his disciples- Malladi bros, MS Sheela, Nithyashri and several others made an initial presentation. I heard the concluding Entaro Mahanubavulu. It was followed by Kanyakumari's violin ensemble, with her disciples. More of a bhajan type of programme. The astonishing perfection makes the program a rivetting experience. The large audience joined in the bhajan Govinda Govinda with loud chorus and claps(Thaalam?).

We,CM lovers, wish SVBC the best of luck and SV's blessings to continue this wonderful service in the years to come.

harimau

Post by harimau »

As kssr said, it was indeed a grand function to mark the first anniversary of Nada Neerajanam.

The very special program saw several eminent Carnatic musicians who are stars in their own individual right come together to mark the occasion.

In the men's section, I saw Sangeetha Kalanidhi Sri Nedunuri Krishnamurthi Garu, Malladi Sri Suri Babu, the Malladi Brothers (Sriram Prasad and Ravikumar), Sri Abhishek Raghuram and Sri Pattabhiram Pandit. The women's section had Smt Nithyasri Mahadevan, Smt M S Sheela, Kumari Nisha Rajagopal, Kumari K Gayathri, Smt Ranjani (Hebbar) Guruprasad and Smt Vandana (?).

The accompanists were: Sri Palghat Sriram on the flute; Peri Sri Sreerama Murthy and Embar Kannan on the violin; Smt Jayalakshmi Sekhar on the veena; Master Sathyanarayana on the keyboard; Sri K Arun Prakash on the mridangam; Sri A S Krishnan on the morsing. In addition, there were other musicians on the mridangam, tabla and ghatam (one each) whom I could not identify by name.

The program had a selection of compositions from eight different composers. The program opened with the Devagandhari composition "Koluvaiyunnade" of Sri Thyaga Brahmam which describes the splendor of the darbar as Sri Rama ruled over Ayodhya. The concert included compositions from Sri Bhadrachala Ramadas (Ramabhadra Ra Ra, Sankarabharanam), Sri Muthuswamy Deekshithar (Sri Venkata Gireesam, Surutti), Sri Narayana Theertha (Pahi Pahi Mam, Jonpuri), Sri Sadasiva Brahmendra (Bhajare Gopalam, Hindolam), Sri Syama Sastri (Karuna Joodu, Sri), Sri Tallapaka Annamacharya (Navaneetha Chora Namo Nama, Senchurutti), and Sri Purandara Dasa (Venkatachala Nilayam, Sindhu Bhairavi).

There was a special composition by Sri Pappu Venugopala Rao in praise of the eight composers whose compositions were used in the program and the celebration of Nada Neerajanam. Sri Nedunuri Garu announced that this was set to tune in Kalyani by Sri Malladi Suri Babu.

"Endaro Mahanubhavulu" was the last piece before mangalam.

Sri Malladi Suri Babu spoke briefly before each piece talking about the significance of the krithi or the greatness of the composer.

On Aug 15, SVBC is presenting a very special program. It is a presentation of Ramayana by a Balinese dance troupe.

PS. I will add details as I recall them. I hope someone will give me the names of the artists I did not recognize. Their names need to be up here to record our appreciation for their contributions.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Thanks for the details missed by me. It would be nice if you can fill in the details of Kanyakumari's programme as well. I did not record it on tape, on paper or my mind :)

tkb

Post by tkb »

I think the artists led by Sri Nendunuri Garu were Sri Malladi Suri Babu, Malladi Brothers, Sri Abhisek Raghuram, Sri Pattabiram Pandit, Vidhushis Smt Nithyashree Mahadevan, Smt. M.S. Sheela, Smt Tirupathi K. Vandana, Smt. Ranjani Hebbar, Sow. Nisha Rajagopal, Sow. K. Gayathri, Violin Vidwans Sri Perri Sriramulu, Sri Embar S. Kannan, Veena vidhushi Smt. Jayalakshmi Sekar, Sri Palghat Sriram on Flute, Mrudhanga vidwans Sri M.L.N. Raju, Sri Arun Prakash, Sri Udipi Sridhar on Ghatam, Sri Ganapathy on Tabla and Sri A.S. Krishnan on the Morsing. It was indeed a great blessing for my son to have got an oppurtunity to be with these great musicians.

Here is a link on youtube which just gives an understanding of the programme. It is not full length video of any particular krithi. Hope some one has recorded the live telecast and would upload in some form for every one to enjoy this grand presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 0E0EA03E3D

arasi

Post by arasi »

tkb,.
Thank you for the link. Yes, I see Satya playing in that star-studded program.

kssr,
I just saw your link about Dr. Jayalakshmi. Now that we have the pictures, we can see that the vInA vidushis are two different Jayalakshmis!.The one I've heard is J. Sekhar and she is the one who is seen playing in the youtube segments posted by tkb.

kssr

Post by kssr »

arasi wrote:

kssr,
I just saw your link about Dr. Jayalakshmi. Now that we have the pictures, we can see that the vInA vidushis are two different Jayalakshmis!.The one I've heard is J. Sekhar and she is the one who is seen playing in the youtube segments posted by tkb.
And also the discussion about "seniority" may be put to rest :)

nag45

Post by nag45 »

Two days back, there was an excellent concert of Ranjani and Gayatri. Is it possible to get the song list? There was a fast paced krithi of Thyagaraja towards the end of the programme commencing with "Varada". Any details of that song please?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

nag45 wrote: There was a fast paced krithi of Thyagaraja towards the end of the programme commencing with "Varada". Any details of that song please?
Could it have been "Vara nArada"? That is in Vijayasri, kind of a fast varali. Featured as a filler frequently and the adventurous do a swaraprasthara also.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Sri.V.Sankaranarayanan- Vocal
Sri.M.A.Krishnaswamy-Violin
Sri.Mridangam- Mridangam (I think you know!)
Sri.Sankar-Ghatam

Due to Sri.Balaji's timely message thro a separate string, I tuned in for this concert. Listening first time to VS. Very Good concert.

1. Ganamurthe- Impeccable clarity and ragabhavam. Linking "Rukmini- Maanasaapahaara" was a good improvisation.

2. Naaraayanathe Namo Namo- 5 gana raagamalika. Sruthi lapses here and there. Looking down frequently (for a notebook reference?) hindered the easy flow. Also the chittaswaras meeting the new raga was not seamless.

3. Garudagamana samayamidhe-Naagaswaravali- Ragam and song went well. Got a clear feeling that he should practise much more before attempting swaraprasthara for this. It was quite slippery.

4. Vara Naarada Naarayana- Vijayasri

5. Sri Venkatesam- Thodi- Main. Very good presentation of ragam and song. Brilliant neraval and swarams at Maara Janakam Madhava naamakam. Due to paucity of time in this short concert, he had to cut short. This was the best piece and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

6. Naarayana ninna naamada- Suddha Dhanyasi. Lot of problems in regaining correct sruti after thani and also due to rush of allotted time. Bad pronunciation- naaLigeyge instead of naaligeyge (to the tongue), Krishna krishnaa endo instead of embo, Vittala raayaNa (3 suzhi) instead of raayana. Should learn it from some one who knows Kannada. Such pronunciation will make his concert bomb in Bangalore :)

Overall quite impressive.

MAK, as usual, uninterested and unimpressive. I always feel that in spite of excellent vidwat, he has totally lost interest. Hope I am wrong.

Sri.Balaji and Sankar gave understanding and good support.

Is it in good taste for a young vocalist like VS to say sabhash to a senior violinist. I felt aaha would have been a better expression to express joy and appreciation on such occasions.

MAK's daughter,( I guess,) was always having a broad smile illuminating the stage and patiently playing the tambura and also thoroughly enjoying the concert. Coming from a great musical tradition, we wish her a very good future in CM.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

>>Is it in good taste for a young vocalist like VS to say sabhash to a senior violinist. I felt aaha would have been a better expression to express joy and appreciation on such occasions.<<

Sometimes some musicians say "sabhAsh" to themselves after uttering some cute phrases. :grin:

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

I also saw Shankar's concert, and quite agree with kssr. He sang excellently, if you leave out shruti lapses here and there. Some times, words were split not quite right, so he could focus more on sahityam part also. Not many vocalist sing narayanate in gana panchaga raga - i have heard MS Amma's version. Good support from MAK & Balaji. Swaras in garudagamana was interesting. Singing suddha dhanyasi piece after todi main - is it a right choice?

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

pattamaa wrote:I Singing suddha dhanyasi piece after todi main - is it a right choice?
Now a days most artists donot think of the right choice or order. Even renowned artists present both Manji and Bhairavi in the same concert with a gap of 2 songs in betwenn. Also Thodi and Asaveri.

Harini.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Yesterday it was Papanasam Ashok Ramani.

What a pity! He gave us an abhishekam with bucketfuls of apaswaram. But he is very consistent with his performance :) Last time I was forced to listen to his concert at Odakathur mutt, when he was the replacement artist in place of E.Gayathri who did not turn up. I had gone for EG's concert and ended up with ....

At least he can drop the Papanasam title. Why bring disrepute to the title of one of the greatest composers of CM.

arasi

Post by arasi »

kssr,
Come, come, however much you do not relish his music, it's not fair to ask him to give up his family name! Wouldn't we all be proud to have a grandfather of Sivan's stature?
Moreover, we are (and are supposed to be) kind to fellow forumites. He is (was?) one :)
Yes, I once heard him sing at the MA too.

kssr

Post by kssr »

arasi wrote:kssr,
Wouldn't we all be proud to have a grandfather of Sivan's stature?

Yes. But we (for that matter, even I :) ) would have learnt to sing better!!
Moreover, we are (and are supposed to be) kind to fellow forumites. He is (was?) one :)
Sorry for my unkindness :?:
Yes, I once heard him sing at the MA too.
And........................... I am sure that you do not want to say anything more of what you heard.......... due to your kind nature.

In a positive note, I would still suggest that he can go to a good guru and get his fundamentals right. eg: SA for six months and so on. There is no one who cannot improve. Given his backround he can definitely become a good artist. We wish him the very best of luck.

kssr

Post by kssr »

Yesterday was Kum.Manasi Prasad's vocal concert. Mohana Raama in Mohanam was the main. It is difficult to make mohanam a success. The swara sequences are deceptively simple. Manasi's attempt in swaraprastha showed how difficult it is to land and hold on to the perfect swarasthanas.
Manasi is a BE, MBA. Dancer, light music, jugalbandi, choreography as meera, etc., etc., For such thin distribution of available time, her CM programme can still qualify as an average to good performance.

She has the potential to be a decent musician. Needs training under a senior guru. Possibly also cut down the range of activities. CM is tough and to achieve stardom needs single minded devotion. Any amount of promotion alone will not be sufficient.

We wish her a bright future.

arasi

Post by arasi »

kssr,
Right you are :) Yes, you have some positive suggestions to Ashok Ramani and Manasi. I have heard her sing and do her Meera piece. Yes, she could shine in any one or two of her artistic expressions if she doesn't spread herself too thin.

kssr

Post by kssr »

One more facet of Manasi is as a stage actor, which I forgot to mention. In the stage production of her guru Sri.R.K.Padmanabha, Dasa Purandara, she portrays the role of a young lady who falls in love/ devotion with Purandaradasa.

RKP himself plays purandaradasa and the play itself is the BEST of its kind that I have witnessed. Not given to emotional attachments to such things, I myself was moved to tears along with the entire audience by the brilliant portrayal. We saw some of the actors simply shedding tears (without glycerine) while participating in the drama. For some reason, the play (also they have a Thyagaraja and MD) has now been abandoned. It is unfortunate.

You can see that the chief guest Smt.Sudha Murthy prostrating to RKP as the Purandaradasa image did not leave our mind!

ankitam

Post by ankitam »

kssr wrote:Yesterday was Kum.Manasi Prasad's vocal concert. Mohana Raama in Mohanam was the main. It is difficult to make mohanam a success. The swara sequences are deceptively simple. Manasi's attempt in swaraprastha showed how difficult it is to land and hold on to the perfect swarasthanas.
Manasi is a BE, MBA. Dancer, light music, jugalbandi, choreography as meera, etc., etc., For such thin distribution of available time, her CM programme can still qualify as an average to good performance..
I did listen to her Mohana Rama...was bucket bucket full of apaswarams :D ...and its of-course possible to make Mohanam a success..legends, senior artists and young artists have made it ...

hariniraghavan

Post by hariniraghavan »

Of all compositions is mohana, Mohanarama is much simple with less number and less complex sangathis. But it is a very nice, melodic song. Manasi's presentation was lacking in the essential gamakas. If a so called artist cannot present it in an appealing manner, just imagine how a kriti like evarura or rara rajiva lochana would suffer :!:
Harini.

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

kssr wrote:...
In a positive note, I would still suggest that he can go to a good guru and get his fundamentals right. eg: SA for six months and so on. There is no one who cannot improve. Given his backround he can definitely become a good artist. We wish him the very best of luck.
A long time ago, I listened to him sing very pleasantly in a TV programme of Papanasam Sivan songs, which also featured a very young S.Sowmya.
His current predicament is clearly voice-related, not the reasons you suggest i.e. training, fundamentals etc.

kssr

Post by kssr »

karthikbala wrote: A long time ago, .....

His current predicament is clearly voice-related, not the reasons you suggest i.e. training, fundamentals etc.
It must have been quite a long time ago during which period he has developed voice-problems due to lack of continued good training and carelessness about fundamentals :)

Don't get me wrong, please. My original outburst was mainly due to "Aatraamai" (helplessness), disaapointment and sadness that such a promising artist with such an excellent lineage who must be in the league of Vijay siva or Sanjay, has let go all his advantages and allowed his performance to deteriorate to such a sad state. By renewing lessons from a senior vidwan, first of all his self confidence will improve. We may also have a chance to see a new Papanasam AR.

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

kssr wrote:...such a promising artist with such an excellent lineage who must be in the league of Vijay siva or Sanjay, has let go all his advantages and allowed his performance to deteriorate to such a sad state. By renewing lessons from a senior vidwan, first of all his self confidence will improve...
Vocal breakdown can occur due to no fault of the singer for various reasons: illness, accidental injury, exposure to harmful agents, or just sheer bad luck. If the underlying cause is physiological, no amount of lessons will help. There are also many singers who have retained their voices despite poor voice production, injudicious diet, lifestyle etc. I would not speculate too much before knowing the facts.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

What I find amazing is that despite a recalcitrant voice he is able to sustain a concert and keep the rasikas interested, those that are able to get past the tonal problems.

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

Having met with an accident resulting into a leg injury my outing to concerts has been curtailed for the past 5 weeks and I totally rely on TV & Radio concerts to satiate my ears.So the live concerts from SVBC is a real boon.

Ashok Ramani's concert was really satisfying.The concert had many plusses.

1.The short sketch of Sarasangi prior to Jeya jeya padhmanabha... was really good.
2.Telisi ramachandra - Poornachandrika was sung beautifully.The chiitaswaram swarasthanams were in place and nice to hear.
3.The main Bhairavi was executed decently.R,N & S were good overall.
4.The sloka preceding the song in Surya had some beautiful sangatis.

Compared to his concerts in the dec'09,his voice has improved substantially and as rasikas we should welcome him and encourage instead of passing meaningless comments is my HO.

I also enjoyed the concerts of Nisha,Vasundhara Rajagopal,Kasturirangan,Kunnakudy BMK,etc.

Ms.Savita Narasimhan's concert is worth mentioning here.The sub-main in Latangi,Aparadhamulannu was excellent.The neraval @ krupachesi with the landing note @ D showed her sensitivity.The main was in Hameer kalyani and sandwiched in between was a kriti in soulful Bhairavi in kandachapu - Alamelumanga...?She also sang BAhayanayya and Shanka cakra gadhapane in Poornachandrika.Smt.Carulata Ramanujam's violin accompaniment was soulful.

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Sept 21, 2010

Vocal - Prema Rangarajan
Violin - Padma Shankar
Mrudangam - Mannarkoil Balaji

Smt. Prema Rangarajan packaged her program very nicely considering the short duration. Her presentation included - Evarunaru nannu Simhavahini by Patnam
Subramaniaiyer, a Kalyani kriti of Annamacharya, Nike Teliyaka pothe in Ananda Bhairavi of Thyagaraja and a Varamu kriti of Vijaya Dasa - Baraiaya Srinivasa (?). I was very impressed by Smt. Padma Shankar's accompaniment. She accentuated whereever required. Mrudangam by Sri. Balaji was of course wonderful as well.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Prema Rangarajan 21-9-2010 List of songs :

1) A Sloka on Varaha followed by Periyazhwar Paasuram- Kola Malar Paavai- Hamsadhwani

2) Evarunnaru - Simhavahini - Patnam Subramania Iyer (with a nice chitta swara composed by Sulochana Pattabhiraman)

3) Mamubrochudaku - Simhendramadhyamam - Veenai Kuppier

4) Baarayya Srinivasa - Varamu -Vijaya Dasa

5) Neeke teliyaka - Ananda Bhairavi - Thyagaraja

6) Alamelumanga - kalyani- Khanda Eka Tala - Annamacharya

7) Santhatham Govindarajam- Shankarabharnam - Dikshitar

8 ) Nee Naamame Maaku - Madhyamavathi - Annamacharya

9) Thillana - This was not telecast

Mannarkoil J Balaji

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Thanks for the complete list Sri. Balaji. I enjoyed your accompaniment. There was big gap after the Madhymavathi, at which there was no sound. Is that when the Thillana was sung?

Another question for everybody. How do we get the Naada Neerajanam schedule in advance? Is there a calendar available somewhere?

kssr

Post by kssr »

Smt.Prema Rangarajan's was just OK. Nothing special at all.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

It is heartening to see Smt. Prema Rangarajan's songlist - She has covered several vaggeyakAra-s and the intelligent and sensitive planning behind her concert is evident in that she has sung on all the deities at tirumala-tirupati :

1. varAha - the presiding deity and 'landlord' of tirumala
2. srInivAsa- vEnkaTEsa
3. alarmElmangai - padmAvati
4. GovindarAjaperumAL

Most of the concerts in nAda neerajanam include pieces like srIvEnkaTagirishaM (suruti), shESAcalanAyakam (varALi) tera tIyagarAda (gauDIpantu) or sometimes venkaTEsa ninnu (MadhyamAvati).

The repetition of these kRti-s reflects a lack of imaginativeness on part of the singers/ performers.

Especially given that a whole range of vAggEyakAra-s, poets and saints have sung on vEnkaTEswara - AzhwArs, haridAsa-s, the tAllapAkam family, rAmaswamy dIkSitar, patnam Iyer, pUchi Iyengar, Tirupati nArAyanaswamy nAiDu, Kuppayyar and others..

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

mridhangam wrote: 1) A Sloka on Varaha followed by Periyazhwar Paasuram- Kola Malar Paavai- Hamsadhwani
mridhangam, Was the pAsuram the following?

kOla malar pAvaikku anbAgiya anbEyO
nIla varai irandu piRaikavvi nimirndadoppa
kOla varagamonRAy nilamkOTTiDaikkonda endAy
nIlakkadalkadaindAy unnaippeRRu inippOkkuvanO. (ThiruvAymozhi 10.10.07)

If so, then it is a nammAzhvAr's pAsuram and not a periyAzhvAr's pAsuram.
Last edited by ksrimech on 24 Sep 2010, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Very impressive, ksrimech. You are spot on. Here is the audio clipping of the song

http://www.mediafire.com/file/g86mci7sz ... _malar.mp3

I sensed the diversity in composers. Keerthi, thanks for the enlightening on the significance of the deities.

While assessing the presentation, I think we need to take into account the time restriction here. It is only so much the singers can pack in. I would like to specially mention the wonderful accompaniment provided by Smt. Padma Shankar and Sri. Balaji. As mentionedby keerthi, it was a refreshing change from the usual.

One question, I also thought I heard quite a few gana murthE. Is there any association for this song to Tirupati?

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Thank You sramaswamy

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Thanks for the correction ....

J.Balaji

arasi

Post by arasi »

Krishna,
Thanks for making me go back to those lovely verses!

sramaswamy

Post by sramaswamy »

Nada Nirajanam - Oct. 28

Today's program was by Dr. Tadepalli Lokanatha Sharma.
Vocal Support - Tadepalli Srikrishna, Syamala Devi, Naga Sai
Violin - Challa Prabhavati
Mrudangam - Peravali Jaya Bhaskar

vigna nivArana - nAttai -Adi - Brahmasri Tadepalli Venkatasubramania Sastry
nada tanumanisham - chittharanjani -Thaygaraja
itaDokaDE sarvESvaruDu - harikAMBOji -- Talapakkam Annamacharya - set to tune by Chittor Subramania Pillai
sharaninti (?) - todi - pedda tirumalAcharyA - set to tune by Lokanatha Sharma
nAnAti bratuku - subhapantuvarAli - tAlapakkam annamAcArya -set to tune by Lokanatha Sharma

A very serene leisurely concert with clear lyrics enunciation. His todi was very interesting with plain ri and ga as in sAma vedA. His voice warmed from second song end onwards. He combined sa ri ga ma pa di ni portion of the song with nada nirAjana. Both the accompanists Challa Prabhavati and Peravalli Jaya Bhaskar were very impressive indeed.

kssr

Post by kssr »

""Today's program was by Dr. Tadepalli Lokanatha Sharma.""

I listened to it,too. It was announced that he is a disciple of Chitoor Subramanya Pillai, the guru of Sri Madurai Somu and the similarity in the style was unmistakable. In this school the priority is to raaga alaapanai and not to swaraprasthara. It came out well with thodi alapanai.Very enjoyable.

When he introduced "Nada Neerajanam" in his sahitya, I was reminded of Sri Somu singing in one of his last concerts in Bangalore, introducing "Rama Seva Mandali" (Fort High School), in his sahitya!!

The neraval and swaram of thodi imitating saama veda for that sahitya was really innovative and beautifully presented.

A different experience after a long time.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Karthikbala,

IIRC you are totally against musicians, however great their "vidwat", who fail on basics like shruti shuddham (and you go so far as to like other forms of music more than CM because normal CM doesn't seem to fit your demands on these fronts as well as other music forms do). So your support for the Papanasam-family kid KSSR observed as singing apaswarams is very difficult to understand. Besides, you are also using the "voice" blame ... |(

karthikbala

Post by karthikbala »

srikant1987 wrote:Karthikbala,

IIRC you are totally against musicians, however great their "vidwat", who fail on basics like shruti shuddham (and you go so far as to like other forms of music more than CM because normal CM doesn't seem to fit your demands on these fronts as well as other music forms do). So your support for the Papanasam-family kid KSSR observed as singing apaswarams is very difficult to understand. Besides, you are also using the "voice" blame ... |(
It was never my intention to support, condemn, nor even evaluate any artiste. I merely disagreed with someone's opinion that the artiste's current difficulties were due to improper training and inadequate practice etc.

I do not think CM as a genre is second to any other, whether opera or hindustani etc. There is no shortage of quality vocalisation and great voices in CM. IMHO, tolerance to bad singing owing to misplaced sense of allegiance etc. is not peculiar to CM. Even the great Maria Callas gave some disastrously bad performances after her vocal breakdown, supported by her fanatical supporters.

The difference is that no institution in the West can afford to support vocally-impaired singers beyond a point, given the huge investments riding on any event. Not only is the entry barrier higher, there is also sustained pressure on performance quality on singers. You are only as good as your last season! Here, our CM "institutions" have no problem in holding the odd completely unlistenable concert, often attended by a dozen of the singer's relatives, friends etc. as they really, have very little to lose.

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

Tomorrow 8th December at 6.15pm, Vidhushi Neela Ramagopal is performing in Nada Neerajanam.

Webcast at http://www.yupptv.com/svbc_channel_live.html

kssr

Post by kssr »

Smt.Neela Ramgopal:

Good programme. List of songs:

1. Naadaloludai-Kalyanavasantham
2. SriRamachandra-Sriranjani-MD- Ragam
3. Narayana Divya Naamam- Mohanam- Papanasam Sivan-Ragam neraval/swaram @ Maarajanakan
4. Avatharu Raghupathy- Khamas- Annamacharya
5. Deena naanu ....Paraaku maadadhe Aparaadagale Kshamiso. Beautiful PDasa krithi in Peelu.

The stamp of vidwat was seen everywhere- sriranjani ragam, mohanam swaram, khamas and peelu krithis. Signs of her age (past 75) are very much there but her understanding of the deep beauty and characteristic pidis of each raga shines through. Could she have chosen a slightly lower sruti- I cannot comment on this in the case of a veteran like Neela mami.

Sri Cheluvaraju gave good mridangam support and led the brief thani admirably.