Urur Olcott Vizha

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
puru00047

Urur Olcott Vizha

Post by puru00047 »

extraordinary that nothing has been written on this forum about the Urur Olcott Kuppam Margazhi Vizha. I recently moved to Arizona and was hoping to catch the review here.

harimau

Re: Urur Olcott Vizha

Post by harimau »

You could ask T M Krishna to hold a concert on a beach in Arizona.

We will then eagerly await your review. :twisted:

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

That is twice t-i-c. There is no sea coast in Arizona. Also, there will be poor fishermen who have a tradition of folk music. I feel CM is elitist by definition and it is by no means the best music. Nothing is lost if the likes of fishermen do not get to sing or enjoy CM. Their music must be as satisfying to them. We do not try to teach QM to someone whose interest is to be just literate and get through in life. The essential difference of our culture is in differentiation based on aptitude, which has been sadly mis-implemented and misinterpreted. Also, nothing forced flourishes. Organic growth is slow, subtle and sustainable. TMK deserves commendation for his egalitarian outlook and commiseration for his misplaced and perverted pursuit of that outlook.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Chellappa,
Your eight lines are better in summing up TMK's effort than eight pages of a never ending discussion on the subject. With your post as inspiration, let me try to say what I think: Good intention, wrong target. Catch them when they are young, try this in the schools, which he already is doing, isn't he?

Don't you now recollect that visionary Bharathi on the beach, being enchanted by the fisher men's song and drawing the attention of the children to listen to it?
Last edited by arasi on 25 Jan 2015, 15:14, edited 3 times in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I did see a few you tube clips. When curiosity wears out, will there be that many people?

If in TTD concerts you see some devotees (who do not have a clue about CM) sit quietly and listen, they see it as part of their pilgrimage, with their bhakthi.

Wonder why our sociologist didn't make it to the beach. Then, he might have spotted a few city folks who would have been there, being fed up with overflowing sabha halls...
Last edited by arasi on 25 Jan 2015, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Chellappa: Good points ( though 'perverted' is not the word I would have chosen )

arasi

Post by arasi »

Well, misdirected? Off target, may be?

Bharathi sang his heart away when he walked on the beach every day--in solitude and in the company of friends and children.

TMK's idea and fervor in wanting to spread CM is commendable, but I'm not sure if the fishermen still sing their old songs even, which Bharathi was drawn to. I'm afraid it may all be pop music that they hear now. I would be the happiet if CM takes root in communities like these. Instrumental classical has a better chance, I think.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Just as Bharathi did (taking tunes from pAmara makkaL and presenting them to all), I read that Dr BMK borrowed a tune from the locals when he stayed in Thekkadi and presented it as such in his presentation. The idea is learning is mostly student-driven or is osmotic. I believe Ilayaraja has done a lot in this direction. TMK does a lot to take CM to a wider section, but I feel it must have nothing to do with egalitarianism. While its Brahmin-exclusivity (a contentious topic) must be broken into, its rigour is not every one's cup of tea. While the doors must be open, we should not try to superimpose prefabricated structures. Well, I withdraw 'perverted' which may be inappropriate here, it overflowed from my reactions to his other activities.

vasanthakokilam

kvchellappa: OK, understood.

You seem to interpret this kind of outreach activities as 'forcing CM on the fishermen'. Where do you get that from? I agree that beyond a gentle push, one can't stuff this kind of thing on people.

I do not know what TMK's motivation or his grand plan is, if any, but in general I believe that doing something is much better than not doing anything and waiting for the perfect method. Any particular method may fail or succeed and figuring that out is the whole point of doing something.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

If anything CM may benefit by borrowing certain compatible and interesting aspects, so it may be a worthwhile effort.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

vasanthakokilam

Sounds like a fun time can be had at the Vizha.

varsha

Post by varsha »

varsha

Post by varsha »

forcing CM on the fishermen'
It would be prudent to learn swimming before teaching fishermen singing . Even with that ability to swim , they know the importance of the unseen hand keeping them afloat . :)
Oceans , Storms , crossing.... have been always such lovely metaphors for our longings .

Here is Parveen at Chennai decades ago , with the same refrain .
http://www.mediafire.com/download/31p43 ... _Kedar.mp3

vasanthakokilam

Varsha, Interesting link to that s.d.burman page. I will look at that in more detail later.

'Sun mere bandhu re' comes across to me as influenced by such river or ocean folk songs. I did not have any specific song to back it up but somehow it felt that way. May be its source/influence is a well known fact but I do not know. I wonder if this site has any info on this.

One site says 'Sun mere bandhu re' is indeed based on the Bhatiyali bengali folk song 'Tomaro Lagiya Re Sodai Pran Amar Kande Re'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_4l325POHA

It does sound very much like it. While looking for this youtube has other related bengali songs and they all have a very similar vibe.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Urur Olcott Vizha - is it something newly started and why so much sarcasm. When we have open air concert in Marina Beach by Shashikiran group, we do not react that way. Why this koLaveri!!!!! - Arizona and Beach makes a lot of fun in the middle of desert at 120+F and there is no ocean around but Latinos with Mariachi music instruments!!!!

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

What about malls to woe the trendy shoppers? Some musiquiz could also happen.

Always_Evolving

Post by Always_Evolving »

The vizha does not seek to "woo" audiences or "spread CM", and this has been spoken about in plenty of articles and write-ups both last year and this. The idea, as spoken of by TM Krishna and other organizers, is to bring together art forms and classes of people who are separated , to examine and heal the divisions we have created in art and society.

I have quite a few criticisms of some underlying premises of the Urur-Olcott Kuppam vizha, much as I ALSO enjoy many aspects of it. I have written about this https://www.facebook.com/notes/radhika- ... 5385832403 .

-Radhika

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Good one Radhika- you have tied all ends and presented the case with facts - like count of sk's on non brahmins etc.
There is a real uday(kick) in your article focusing on objectivity .

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Radhika, very lucid. Thank you for sharing...

Always_Evolving

Post by Always_Evolving »

Rajesh, the kick is mine, not Uday's :-)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

A very evolved kick!

vasanthakokilam

Ha.. :)

Uday Udayamahi Udaikkavara
Urur Uril Uria UnmakkaL
Udandaya

SabashBale

Post by SabashBale »

In today's Hindu, there was a picture of the team during its performance. If my eyes didn't fail me, I saw TMK wearing a round-neck T-shirt and a veshti. I thought beach shorts would have been more appropriate.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/repor ... on-2182928
we invited members of Sri Ram Samaj, a citadel of Brahmin orthodoxy in West Mambalam to partner and honour the fisherfolk who had helped, spontaneously and definingly, in the rescue efforts. We also suggested that the honour should be in the form of temple respects.
Important takeaway: What is usually referred to as a "tEnga mUdi" (kutcheri) by our musicians/rasikas - for a low or none remuneration at temple venues has become a valuable tool. There are so many that are languishing that cannot get such honors. At least the tEnga mUdi is building bridges instead of just showing up in an art museum somewhere! Remember what you put out for Garage sale becoming an antique!