Sri Ganesh/Kumaresh concert in Miami

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
maduraimini

Sri Ganesh/Kumaresh concert in Miami

Post by maduraimini »

Last Sunday, Sept. 5th the Shiva Vishnu Temple of Miami had sr Ganesh and Kumaresh's Violin concert. It was rare to see so many people there. The Hall was almost full, which is very rare.
1. They started with the Sahana varnam 'Karunimpa'. The composer was Thiruvottiyur Thyagarajan.
2. Next was a Hamsadhwani song, which I don't know. The raga itself seemed mixed with Hindustani, kind of hard to define as Hamsadhwani right away. The artists did not announce the name of the song or the raga in the start or at the end. I think it would be good to give the name of the ragam and song at the end of the song for seniors like me who forget and people who are not that familiar with carnatic music.
3. A beautiful alapana of Gowrimanohari was followed by Thyagaraja's ' Guru leka'. The rendition was superb with niraval, swaram. It is good to see the brothers taking turns playing swarams on the violin.
4. Seethapathe came next.
5. They played a melodious Kalyani alapana. The kriti was a rarely heard one. 'Nijadasa Varda'. This was a Patnam Subramania Iyer composition. This song was decorated with beautiful swarams after the niraval. One of the artist sings along with the violin at times. I still don't know who is who, even though I have heard them a few ttimes. The singing along with the violin makes it nicer. The neraval was at ' Bhujaghadhipa sayana'. The mridangam and Ghatam artists did a great job here and the audience didn't stop clapping when they finished.
It was a wonderful performance by all the artists blending together.
6. Next was a melodious Behag. They started 'Aazshi mazhai Kanna'. I thought it was Andal's Thiruppavai. But it was some other song. I don't know who the composer is and this is the first time I have heard this song. The lyrics were quite good.
7. Then came a song I have not heard before. It sounded like the Meera Bhajan 'Dekhoji more'
8. Next one was a Purandara Dasa kriti ' Panduranga Baro'.
9. After the Dasara pada, it was Sindhubhairavi.
10. The raga sounded like Janaranjani. Didn't figure out the song.
11. The last one was 'Bhagyada Lakshmi Baramma' in Madhyamavathi and they ended with the Mangalam.

The Kannada songs were requests of some audience, it seemed.
The 2 1/2 hour concert was good and the audience were very happy.
It seemed to me like it was mixed with some Hindustani tones and even some Western mix. Not a pure Carnatic concert. It was a pleasant evening that I enjoyed.

Soory, I left out the Accompanying artists' names. On the Mridangam was Sri R.Sankaranarayanan and on the Ghatam, sri Krishnaswamy. Both of them provided excellent embellishments to the concert.

rajeshnat

Re: Sri Ganesh/Kumaresh concert in Miami

Post by rajeshnat »

maduraimini wrote:
2. Next was a Hamsadhwani song, which I don't know. The raga itself seemed mixed with Hindustani, kind of hard to define as Hamsadhwani right away. The artists did not announce the name of the song or the raga in the start or at the end. I think it would be good to give the name of the ragam and song at the end of the song for seniors like me who forget and people who are not that familiar with carnatic music.
MaduraiMini
Some times they play raaga pravaham which is playing music without lyrics . THe hamsadhwani may have been one of that . Tx for your review.

Mods
Change the title to kumaresh from ku,aresh

arasi

Post by arasi »

Mmini,
Thanks for the review. The brothers whose talents are immense but whose speed can give a jolt to frail seniors did not deter you from attending!

Must have been frustrating, having lost your review while trying to post, soon after the concert. Remember Rajesh's alert. 'First into word pad and then post!'

Since I visit India regularly, I am a bit aware of the fusion scene and can guess what to expect. Good to know that you had a taste of a high speed concert. Well, you can't deny how very gifted both of them are.

Thanks again for the trouble of trying to type the review all over again :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Mmini- thank you!!
The one who sings must be Ganesh. His is the male voice in the playback for the movie 'Dance like a man' for which the duo scored the music.

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Thank you Rajesh, Arasi and Shankar. I am not a fan of Fusion. A little bit of it is ok. I don't mind the piano of Anil Srinivasan with Sikkil Gurucharan singing. It is interesting. But too much of it is not my cup of Tea. To each his own, I guess.
Thanks Shankar, for giving me the name of the singing brother. May be next time I will remember him. I have neither heard nor seen the movie you say. Guess I am way behind everything! Arasi, like you say you are used to all the modern changes in Carnatic Music as you go to India often. I am still stuck like that clock in the Fairy Tale 'Sleeping Beauty'- Things I know are from the 60s! Thank you all.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Not 'all' of the changes, but some :)