R Suryaprakash in concert for Rasikhapriya, Kolkata Nov 13th 2015

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
knandago2001

R Suryaprakash in concert for Rasikhapriya, Kolkata Nov 13th 2015

Post by knandago2001 »

Sri. R. Suryaprakash and his team (Sri. M.A. Sundaresan on the violin, Sri. K. Sai Giridhar on the mrudangam and Sri. N. Guruprasad on the ghatam) presented a very enjoyable concert under the aegis of Rasikhapriya. Following the robust Nattai composition on Ganapati, Suryprakash sprang a delightful surprise by singing Tyagaraja's Lavanya Rama (Poornashadjam) - it was very sensitively sung. He then chose to showcase the rare raga "Kumudakriya" by way of alapana and swaraprastara for Dikshitar's Ardhanaareshwaram. The sombre mood of the raga was conveyed very effectively by the vocalist and the violinist - their repartees featured many a "hindustani" flourish! Manavi alakinchara in Nalinakanti came next - sung briskly with kalpanaswaras. Later, Suryaprakash essayed Kharaharapriya very engagingly and followed it up with Chakkani raajamargamulu of Tyagaraja. "Kantiki sundara" was chosen for detailed niraval and swaras. While the mel kaalam niraval was a la Semmangudi, the swaraprastara reminded me of Madurai Mani Iyer and Sri T.V. Sankaranarayanan! Suraprakash undoubtedly has a fecund imagination and a facile voice which bear upon his continually evolving sense of aesthetics and presentation. The "high energy" tani avartanam by Sai Giridhar and Guruprasad was a thing of beauty! Suryaprakash kept up the momentum in his ragamalika RTP in Misra Chapu tala - the ragas chosen for the exercise were hamsanandi, hamsadhwani, hamsanadam and hamsavinodini! I particularly enjoyed the way the vocalist and violinist alternately presented tanam in the various ragas - created a very pleasing effect. Due to personal reasons, I had to leave right after the RTP and missed the rest of the program. Be that as it may, it was wonderful concert and I wish Suryaprakash and his team the very best for the upcoming performances this season..

arasi

Re: R Suryaprakash in concert for Rasikhapriya, Kolkata Nov 13th 2015

Post by arasi »

Nandagopal,
Good to hear from you after a long time! Thank you for your lovely review.

Suryaprakash's singing appeals to rasikas who are well-versed (like you), lay rasikas and the rest of us who just love to listen to CM. His appealing voice, his imagination and bhAvA in singing are his assets. His guru and parama guru inspire him.

It's good to see that M.A.Sundaresan is also accompanying him in several concerts in the season. A seasoned player who has enhanced many of Surya's concerts in the past.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Nandagopal! Great to hear from you after a hiatus. Sounds like a great concert!

knandago2001

Post by knandago2001 »

Thanks Arasi and Shankar!

Had forgotten to mention that Suryaprakash sang Shivatraya Mahaganapatim (Nattai) in my earlier post. I heard it for the first time yesterday and was captivated by its melody. For those who may be interested, lyrics may be accessed at http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic ... 2&start=25