Priya Sisters-Shivam Temple-November 19, 2015

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
revanthv552

Priya Sisters-Shivam Temple-November 19, 2015

Post by revanthv552 »

As a part of Satya Sai Baba's 90th birthday celebrations, Priya Sisters sang at Shivam Temple in Hyderabad. Hyderabad loves them and specifically the devotees at Shivam love them. It was an open air concert and the ambiance was beautiful. Cool breeze, trees, beautiful lights, audience seated in the lawn (Till it started raining) and sublime music. The duo was accompanied by the amazing team of Sri M.A Krishnaswamy on violin, Sri Patri Satish Kumar on the mridhangam and Sri B S Purushotham on the Kanjira. The song list:

1. Sri Raghukula-Hamsadwani-Tyagaraja [S]
2. Sarasasaamadhana-Kapi Narayani-Tyagaraja
3. Mayamma-Ahiri-Syama Sastri [R]
4. Vanchathonu Naa-Karnaranjani-Muthiah Bhagavathar
5. Entha Muddo-Bindumalini-Tyagaraja
6. Parama Pavana-Ranjani-Misukrishna [R, S]
7. Enduko Baaga Teliyadhu-Mohanam-Tyagaraja [R, N, S, T]
8. Adi Moolame Maaku-Anandabhairavi-Annamacharya
9. Shankara Siva-Ahir Bhairav-Sai Bhajan
10. Slokam followed by Kailasa Giri Nundi Kaasikai-Ganamurthi [?]-Composer[?]
11. Adugukalipenu Gowri-Jog[?]-Brahmasri Samavedam Shanmukha Sarma
12. Kurai Ondrum Illai-Ragamalika-Rajaji
13. Narayana Stotram-Revati-Adi Sankara
14. Uyyalalooguma-Yaman Kalyani-Sai Bhajan
15. Mangalam-Sowrastram-Tyagaraja

There are concerts were you are impressed, where you are entertained, where the musical demonstration excites you and where you are moved. Some times a few of these happen and some times all of them happen together. According to me, there is a different level of concerts where you are left with a lot more than what words can say! This was one such. A concert where you feel a rare spiritual connection happening between you and the music that is being presented by them (when I say them, I refer to the whole team of musicians and not just the duo) The music today was powerful. I was looking at the audience and I saw people who were frozen in the musical bliss.

Considering that the concert was at Shivam, the sisters made choices wisely. By presenting all compositions in Telugu and focusing a lot on the aspect of melody contributed to the magic they created. Ahiri, Ranjani and Mohanam were treated elaborately. Sublime alapana of beautiful Ahiri raagam followed by the beautiful "Mayamma", the splendid play with emphasis in the chittaswarams of the Karnaranjani composition and of course, the evergreen melody-Bindumalini! Half way through the rendition of Ranjani Ragam, it started raining. The crowd quietly moved indoors and settled down in the hall. The discipline took me by a surprise.A small stage was made in the room within 25 minutes and the concert continued. The Ranjani composition was a fresh surprise. As a fifteen year old, I remember listening to this composition of Misukrishna in one of their old albums. A beautiful rendition of Mohanam for the main piece came next! They did perfect justice to the bhaava. The compositions they present tend to have an emphasis on philosophical aspects. In "Enduko Bagateliyadu", Tyagaraja asks Rama why the people of universe do not understand that the human body is not permanent! The words of the song were simple. But there was a lot of depth in the meaning.

Above all what left me speechless was the mindblowing thaniavarthanam. It was a treat watching the mridangam and kanjira! They were thoroughly enjoying each other's music and that clearly had an effect on the audience. The crowd gave a loud applause thrice during the thaniavarthanam. It was beautiful experience to see the audience be engaged in the concert despite the distractions like the rain and power fluctuations. I need not talk about Sri M.A Krishnaswamy. He is always brilliant with his accompaniment.

The beauty with which Priya Sisters sang "Adi moolame" left my eyes moist. Annamacharya is an amazing composer. His compositions and the devotion in them always move me. In this song he talks about how the Lord protects him from all the five elements of the nature by being an integral part of the elements. It was a delight listening to them sing this Anandabhairavi composition with absolute melody and the emphasis in the right places.

I attended a proper Carnatic concert after one year. Luckily, I came from Ahmedabad for my break and I was treated with this one. This concert left me with a lot of satisfaction and smiles. Looking at the crowds and their discipline, I must admit that the Carnatic music scene in Hyderabad has evolved a lot over the last few years. One more series of concerts is coming up this weekend-The Annual Festival of Kalasagaram. Excited about them too.

rshankar

Re: Priya Sisters-Shivam Temple-November 19, 2015

Post by rshankar »

Hi Revanth, nice to see a review from you after ages. Looks like you had a great time.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

revanthv552 wrote: 7. Enduko Baaga Teliyadhu-Mohanam-Tyagaraja [R, N, S, T]

I attended a proper Carnatic concert after one year. Luckily, I came from Ahmedabad for my break and I was treated with this one. This concert left me with a lot of satisfaction and smiles. Looking at the crowds and their discipline, I must admit that the Carnatic music scene in Hyderabad has evolved a lot over the last few years. One more series of concerts is coming up this weekend-The Annual Festival of Kalasagaram. Excited about them too.
Revanth,
This no was perhaps taken by only TRS and BMK. I heard it for the first time when Vinay put the recording of evergreen TRS mama singing . A different mohanam especially the start of the pallavi line .Very nice of them to bring up TRS. May I know where was the neraval line ?.

Good to hear your ahmed a bad to hyder a good short trip? :) :) . Keep them coming

revanthv552

Post by revanthv552 »

rshankar wrote:Hi Revanth, nice to see a review from you after ages. Looks like you had a great time.
Thank you so much rshankar. Yes! Thoroughly enjoyed the concert!

revanthv552

Post by revanthv552 »

rajeshnat wrote:
Revanth,
This no was perhaps taken by only TRS and BMK. I heard it for the first time when Vinay put the recording of evergreen TRS mama singing . A different mohanam especially the start of the pallavi line .Very nice of them to bring up TRS. May I know where was the neraval line ?.

Good to hear your ahmed a bad to hyder a good short trip? :) :) . Keep them coming
Haha! I love how you played with both the cities! :)

The neraval was done at the anupallavi. The lines "andagADa! shrI rAma! Itanu vasthiramani I kali manavulaku"
And the swarakalpana was done at the pallavi.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

The composer of kailAsa girinuNDi is Devulapalli Krishna Shastri. A rasika has requested the meaning of this song. Thanks for the help. Audio is available if needed.

shlOka:
bhasma rudrAkSa dharyO bhavya carita
nAga kankaNa naTarAja yOga puruSa
kAma dahana shubhaprada kAvumayya
dInabAndhava paramEsha dEvadEA

kailAsa girinuNDi kAsikai, kAshikApuri nuNDi dAsikai
dAsikai I dakSa vAtikai, dayacEsi nAvayA, hara hara hara hara......
virisi jAbili malle rEkagA, kurisi tEniyala mUvAkagA
darisi nI daya nindu gOdAvari nadi jharulAyerA hara hara harA......
O hOradhI krta kSmAmaNDalA AhAsarI shrupa shrI kundalA
vIhAra giri nandini hAvi hrdayadhana mATacarA hara ........
mukkOTi dEvatala nEtarA, mullOkamulakishta dAtara
velipUdi pUtana nalavisamu mEtharA hara harA.......