S.Aishwarya - Gokhale Institute - 9th Jan 2016

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
s.harinie

S.Aishwarya - Gokhale Institute - 9th Jan 2016

Post by s.harinie »

Kumari S.Aishwarya – Vocal
Sri C N Chandrashekhar – Violin
Sri Anoor Ananthakrishna Sharma (Shivu Sir) – Mridangam
Sri Sunaad Anoor – Kanjira

Song List
Dhyana shlokam – Adi Shankara
Ninukori Varnam – Adi - Mohanam – Ramnad Sreenivasa Iyengar
Dayanidhe – Naatai Adi – Papanasam Sivan (with chittaswaram)
Yennaganu Rama Bhajana – Pantuvarali –Rupakam – Bhadrachala Ramadas R N S at Rama Chiluka
Sharadhe Veena Vadhana – Devagandhari – Adi – Papanasam Sivan
Ninne Nammi – Todi – Mishra Chapu – Syama Sastri R N S at Kamakshi Kanchadalaya - Thani
Jayati Jayati Bharata Mata – Khamsa – Adi – Mayuram Viswanatha Sastry
Maithreem Bhajatha
Mangalam

This concert was in memory of Late Vallabam Kalyanasundaram, sister of Mayuram Viswanatha Sastry and the Guru of Sri Bangalore Shankar and Smt Jambu Kannan.

Sri Bangalore Shankar introduced the artists at 5.55 pm.

The concert began at 6 pm sharp as per schedule even though the violin vidwan was caught in a traffic jam and could join only after the varnam.

Singing to a capacity audience of music lovers, Aishwarya sang a remarkable concert. The chiitaswarams in Naatai were crisp and packed a punch. Aishwarya announced after the song that the chittaswarams were composed by her Guru Smt Jambu Kannan who was also present in the audience. Pantuvarali ragam was rendered magnificently and a treat for the ears. When she sang Rama Rama in the Charanam and dwelled on it for a while it truly melted the heart. Appropriately it was Hanuman Jayanti too.
Todi was truly a masterclass. Neraval at Kamakshi Kanchadalayadakshi was elaborated beautifully.
The support of the two veteran vidwans Sri C N Chandrashekhar and Sri Ananthakrishna Sharma were terrific and they too were under the spell of Aishwarya’s music as much as the rasikas were. Shivu Sir and Sunad Anoor played a
delightful thaniavartanam.
The daughter of Smt Vallabam (I forget her name) gave the vote of thanks and she mentioned about the great legacy of M.S.Subbulakshmi which Aishwarya represents and the high expectations which any rasika will naturally have.
She also said that after hearing Aishwarya sing there was not even an iota of doubt in her mind that she is truly
deserving inheritor of such a mantle.

bkishore

Re: S.Aishwarya - Gokhale Institute - 9th Jan 2016

Post by bkishore »

any audio link available

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you for your review Harinie.
A few pictures of the event.
A garlanded portrait of Smt Vallabham Kalyanasundaram
Aishwarya sings with Sri CNC on violin, Sri Anoor on Mridangam and Sunaad Anoor on Kanjira. On Tamburas are Sri P Manjunatha and Sri Sripada Rao
Audience listening with rapt attention. Smt Jambu Kannan is in the front row, extreme right
The concert was recorded. Will upload a few songs through an audio link after Sankaranthi.

bkishore

Post by bkishore »

pl upload Dayanidhe – Naatai Adi – Papanasam Sivan

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Is Dayanidhe outside MS repertoire?

cienu

Post by cienu »

kvchellappa wrote:Is Dayanidhe outside MS repertoire?
Dear Sri KVC
Yes. So also Sharadhe in Devagandhari.
These are amongst the multitude of compositions learnt by Aishwarya from her guru Smt Jambu Kannan who in turn had learnt the same from her gurus Vallabam Kalyanasundaram and TNS.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Thanks. I thought so about Sharade also. That answers critics who wanted her to do so.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Cienu, Very happy to see that Aiswarya goes from strength to strength. Good that she has started singing songs outside the MS repertoire. That will answer her critics. Wishing her all the best

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Cienu
I did know thru your previous postings that jambu kannan is the disciple of vidwan TNS who is teaching Aishwarya. I did not know the connection of jambu kannan and vallabham kalyanasundaram.IIRC mayuram vishwanatha sastri (of jayati jayati bharatha matha fame in kamas has also tuned lot of tirukkural) . VIshwanatha sastri guru is namakkal narasimha iyengar (who is also guru of Ariyakudi ). IIRC namakkal narasimha iyengar was known as pallavi narasimha iyengar. Looks your daughter can cover lot of ground other than her major axis - Bharatratna path.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Just to add, the MS repertoire is over 3500 according to Shri. VKV. Who knows how much we have not heard. This year I've found many rasikas sharing MS Collections aplenty which I have not found anywhere before. In fact the no. of commercial albums I've seen online is also way higher than what I normally see in shops or the sabhas.

Aishwariya should find her own individuality in her music. I can see this is already well under way, exploring new possibilities in repertoire and manodharma. There are expectations and pressures and comparisons and there may even be some left handed compliments -- but here's something I was reading in a book on ultramarathons. When it gets overwhelming to think of reaching that 100th mile, the best runners only think about the next step, or the next nearby tree or the next 100 yards. Eventually the line comes, and then you look back and wonder as to just how in the world did they run so far. Being in the present keeps the stress away.

Above all, I feel that there is always a reservoir of potential within a person that can only be unlocked by self-interest -- while gurus and elders are always there to guide and mould a talent and correct them along the way, it is that self initiative to go beyond and discover for oneself that is the bridge between good and great. All great geniuses in any field have that one thing in common -- there is always a deep well of ability that wasn't taught. No one taught Euler or Ramanujam beyond a point. Even MS Amma's technique of securing world class pitch perfection was also not taught. That is enthusiast territory. This is a zone where one should freely and boldly discover the wealth of intuitive ideas and inspirations within oneself -- it throws out any mental limiters that could be holding one back. The champion only enters into this territory because they believe it's possible and that they should be the one to do it. Or sometimes, as one can more accurately put it, "They don't know that it is supposed to be tough or impossible", which means they don't even need belief! Perhaps that is the secret of the prodigal genius.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I don't know if one could call Aishwarya a prodigy, but the way she goes about her music is certainly to be admired. From a very young age, she showed determination and devotion in learning music. A supportive family and excellent gurus have helped, of course.

As we know, expectations are high, but she is mature enough not to take criticism to heart. Her business is just to mind her music, it seems...good for her...:)

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

arasi : I don't know if one could call Aishwarya a prodigy, but the way she goes about her music is certainly to be admired.
It was not actually about her as such, but I just wanted to reflect on just what is that extra factor that makes the very best reach another level?

bkishore

Post by bkishore »

audio link please

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

One does not have be prodigy to shine in any art; dedication, commitment, discipline, determination, perseverance, persistence and trust in oneself makes one stellar. I believe Aishwarya is an example for her generation and next generation.

bkishore

Post by bkishore »

audio link pl