2016 Apr 21 VijaySivaN CharumatiRaghuraman NManojSiva SKrishna @ SRSM

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
badari

2016 Apr 21 VijaySivaN CharumatiRaghuraman NManojSiva SKrishna @ SRSM

Post by badari »

Vocal: Vid. VijaySivaN
Violin: Vid. CharumatiRaghuraman
Mridanga: Vid. NManojSiva
Ghata: Vid. SKrishna

Occasion: 78th Sree Ramanavami Music Festival, Fort High School, Bangalore

01 sri mahA ganapathE Abhogi k.cApu n.s.rAmachandran (N S )
Nereval @ tAmarasa daLa nEtra

02 chadram bhaja mAnasa asAvEri chaturashra maTTya M.dIkshitar

03 shrI jAlandharam AshrayAmyaham gambhIra nAta thriputa jayachAmarAja odeyar (A CS N S )
Nereval @ srI jAnhavi dharam shankaram

04 vinavE O manasa vivarambuna vivardhani rUpaka tyAgarAja

05 bAla gOpAla bhairavi Adi m.dIkshithar ( A N S T )
Nereval @ mANikya makuTadhara

06 tOli nEnu jEyu pUjA phalamu kOkiladhwani Adi tyAgarAja

07 rAga tAna pallavi pUrvikalyANi
tisra triputA miShra naDAI, with a 6/7 atIta eDuppu
Pallavi Line: Parama pAvana rAma. . Papa vimochana

08 taruNam IdammA ennai gauLipantu syAmA sAstri

09 viruttum oru kaalil Shangi .. oru kAlil chakkaram (virutum)
KAmbOdhi .. bEhAg. .kApi. .
followed by jagadOddhArana kApi Adhi Purandara dhAsa

10 shivagangA nagara punnAgvarALi pApanAsam sivan

11 koi kaheyare prabhu mira bhajan

12 noTTuswara (sujana hrud kamala sarOvara sadanA)

13 nI nAma rUpamulaku mangaLa sourAshtra Adhi thyAgarAja

picture and review at
http://arohanaavarohana.blogspot.in/201 ... sivan.html

hnbhagavan

Re: 2016 Apr 21 VijaySivaN CharumatiRaghuraman NManojSiva SKrishna @ SRSM

Post by hnbhagavan »

Daer badari,

Very nicely reviewed.After seeing your song list i regretted leaving after the Pallavi due to transport arrangement.The Divya prabhandam piece must have been enjoyable.
I would like to single out the accompaniment provided by Charumati Raghuraman.She is growing from strength to strength.
Last edited by hnbhagavan on 22 Apr 2016, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

These are the days when I just hate my work - had an external event that I couldn't miss. Tried getting a cab to catch a portion but alas - that was not to be. My family attended it and came back with raves. VS probably is the finest classicist of his generation..... what a miss, feel :(

badari

Post by badari »

gardabha_gana wrote:My family attended
I remember spotting them. but not you.

gardabha_gana wrote:These are the days when I just hate my work
Share me your resume ;)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Badari
Lovely review , 13 in a row but 13 is surely not an unlucky number. Particularly your last two reviews with liberalized quotes from one and only TRS.

I thought I persuaded you around 11 that you will put the subjective review in the rasikas and not keep it only there in your blog. But it looks 12 and 13 you have decided to again keep the subjective review only in your aarohana blog, the avarohana is not coming to rasikas.

sankark

Post by sankark »

Team Sraavyam
You have one guy ready to pay you to get a copy of that recording.

badari,
On lighter note, you have made a Iyengar into Iyer so non-chalantly yourself. Poochi Srinivasaier??

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Badari
Not to take anything out of your great review . I am not sure if I have heard sri mahA ganapathE in Abhogi of NS Ramachandran by DKJ.May be this no is more popularized and only sung by santhanam and MLV, not sure if DKJ has sung.

The other two numbers like sree jalandhara and even balagopala were certainly sung by DKJ and to me DKJ was known for the rendition of balagopala and sree jalandhara. You writing that it is MLV Staple indicating indirectly that DKJ did not sing is perhaps not a logical right conclusion.

Your part of equating this concert with a splash like GNB-MLV is bit off logic, this appears very much a DKJ paddantara concert with me not knowing if DKJ has ever sung the NS Ramachandran krithi.

As i said before , keep writing . keep moving to 14th concert.

CRama

Post by CRama »

Badari, I read your blog, A great review of a wonderful concert. Thanks. Pl keep them coming.
Rajesh, I dont remember hearing Balagopala from DKJ. Is there any recording? In one radio programme of Deekshitar kritis, DKP has sung only the song at the end. So glad to note that VS sang alapana of Gambheera nata. Eventhough MLV used to sing this song, I will relate it more to DKP/DKJ only because, in most of DKP concerts, there will be elaborate Thodi, Kalyani, KHP etc, but thani will be for Sree Jalandara at Sree Jannavi or for Bhajare re manasa. There are many concerts especially with PMI in Mridangam.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Badari - very lyrical review! Thank you for sharing.
A quick question - is pIyUsha alpAvitOham (I was turned into overflowing nectar) a figure of speech for 'drenched in nectar'?

badari

Post by badari »

@Rshankar: I agree as much as you do on your statement.

KSJaishankar

Post by KSJaishankar »

Rshankar - ApLAvayati has a a physical meaning of "take a bath in"; pLAvayati could also be taken to mean "cause to be drenched", besides meaning "change to". Reference page link given below. The root word is pLu

http://spokensanskrit.de/index.php?page=2

KSJaishankar

Post by KSJaishankar »

Of course - if you split the compound as pIyUShAt pLAvitOham (Panchama Vibhakti), it suggests "changed from nectar" - I would leave it to the experts, but my guess would be to attribute it to poetic license :) the nArayaNIyam is known for its extremely complex language

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

This is an off line question.Vijaya Siva concerts do not seem to appear at sangeethapriya.org?Is it correct?
I request any of the Rasikas to respond.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

He belongs to the set of musicians who believe that their voice should not be recorded and shared. Some others who belong to that exclusive club are TMK and Malladi Brothers. So you will not see any of their recordings on sangeethapriya. I am thankful so much that Tyagaraja et al didn't have copyright on their compositions.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Post #14

Thank you.This explains the absence of their record.But recrding broadcast by Chennao/AIR can be freely uploaded I suppose.

CRama

Post by CRama »

They dont want their AIR concerts also to be uploaded in Sangeethapriya. Now a days I am not hearing any concert of Vijaya Siva or Malladi Brothers in AIR also. May not be giving concerts in AIR because others may be recording directly from the radio.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Sanjay Subramanyam freely gives many of his live concerts for download.This has in noway reduced number of Rasikas attending his concerts.
A few Youtube concert extracts of Vijaya Siva as well as Mallado Bros are available in Youtube.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

badari wrote: He then stepped straight in MLV territory with one her popular vinAyakA kritis - srI mahA gaNapathe in Abhogi of N S Ramachandran.... The MLV motif made a return with strong notes of gambhIra nATTa in the first AlApanE of the evening.... In a nod to his guru DKJ, vinavE O manasA in vivardhinI was rendered as a filler.
rajeshnat wrote:Badari
Not to take anything out of your great review . I am not sure if I have heard sri mahA ganapathE in Abhogi of NS Ramachandran by DKJ.May be this no is more popularized and only sung by santhanam and MLV, not sure if DKJ has sung.

The other two numbers like sree jalandhara and even balagopala were certainly sung by DKJ and to me DKJ was known for the rendition of balagopala and sree jalandhara. You writing that it is MLV Staple indicating indirectly that DKJ did not sing is perhaps not a logical right conclusion.

Your part of equating this concert with a splash like GNB-MLV is bit off logic, this appears very much a DKJ paddantara concert with me not knowing if DKJ has ever sung the NS Ramachandran krithi.
Yes, whilst I wasn't there to listen to it, the list indicates to me it was a DKJ paddantara concert too and the GNB/MLV references seem to be out of place for this otherwise very nice review. DKJ's version of Sri Mahaganapathe is fast; in fact, the briga sangathis he would sing at "vallabhapathe" is a particular feature I remember about his version.

Both DKJ and DKP have sang Sri Jalandhara as a main, both in concerts together, and during "solo" concerts without the other sibling on stage. I don't remember the singing of alapana so it might not have been as elaborate as VS sang for this concert, but I often look at renditions of this song against this duo rather than MLV (even though MLV also did sing this in her concerts).

Finally, the speciality of Balagopala to the DKP/DKJ is that DKP learnt the kriti directly from Ambi Dikshitar and DKJ was present for the lessons. I can remember him once explaining how differently his contemporaries sang the krithi when compared with Ambi Dikshitar's style.

Of course, there is a considerable overlap in DKJ and MLV repertoires (for example, they sang compositions of Lalgudi Jayaraman, R. Venugopal and Tanjavoor Sankara Iyer too). But this review gives a (perhaps incorrect) impression to those who are unaware that each such composition is just a MLV or GNB staple, when in fact, they are very much a DKJ or DKP staple too.

KSJaishankar

Post by KSJaishankar »

@rajeshnat & vocalist, I'm struggling a bit to understand what the issue is here. Has Badari suggested anywhere that the DKP/DKJ school or the artistes themselves are in any manner inferior to GNB/MLV? He has merely walked us through his experience of listening to this concert. Our feelings and emotions are shaped by to large part by our own individual experiences. Can you say that the fact that his experience led him to hear traces of MLV or GNB in Vijay Siva's concert that day is somehow spurious? Or that it is an insult in any manner to Vijay Siva or his gurus?

Anyway, I remember from the video on GNB's life released on his centenary, wherein there is a clipping of Sri DKJ talking at a felicitation function for Sri GNB, and the open admiration that DKJ had for GNB as a musician and a concert artiste is evident to anyone watching it. And someone else (it was some popular organizer) mentions that DKJ's music was influenced by GNB, even though DKJ himself belonged to a different school altogether. If that be the case, the influence of GNB on Vijay Siva runs even deeper - some of it could be from DKJ himself.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

FWIW, when I heard the Gambeera Natai I was reminded of MLV. Folks, if you have you too many DKJ, MLV, GNB or Vijay Siva concerts in your possession, send them over to me... I will be the judge and the jury. I will need to listen to all your recordings before making a decision... Listening to such music, I am sure I will attain Nirvana :)

mohan

Post by mohan »

KSJaishankar wrote: Anyway, I remember from the video on GNB's life released on his centenary, wherein there is a clipping of Sri DKJ talking at a felicitation function for Sri GNB, and the open admiration that DKJ had for GNB as a musician and a concert artiste is evident to anyone watching it.
I attended a 'GNB Day' concert back in 1990 or 1991 (Shastri Hall) where DKJ spoke about his love for GNB's music, especially the lightning fast brighas. He also admitted to adopting some aspects such as singing malavi in a brisk pace.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

KSJaishankar wrote:@rajeshnat & vocalist, I'm struggling a bit to understand what the issue is here. Has Badari suggested anywhere that the DKP/DKJ school or the artistes themselves are in any manner inferior to GNB/MLV? He has merely walked us through his experience of listening to this concert. Our feelings and emotions are shaped by to large part by our own individual experiences. Can you say that the fact that his experience led him to hear traces of MLV or GNB in Vijay Siva's concert that day is somehow spurious? Or that it is an insult in any manner to Vijay Siva or his gurus?

Anyway, I remember from the video on GNB's life released on his centenary, wherein there is a clipping of Sri DKJ talking at a felicitation function for Sri GNB, and the open admiration that DKJ had for GNB as a musician and a concert artiste is evident to anyone watching it. And someone else (it was some popular organizer) mentions that DKJ's music was influenced by GNB, even though DKJ himself belonged to a different school altogether. If that be the case, the influence of GNB on Vijay Siva runs even deeper - some of it could be from DKJ himself.
Yes, it's fairly evident you have missed the point because the questions do not line up with what has been said by either rajeshnat, or at least myself. Hearing traces of MLV or GNB, or even hearing that "feel" in VS's rendition is perfectly fine, but that is not the impression I would gather from the way it was worded or referred to in this particular review. I think people who are less familiar would form an erroneous impression from reading the wording in that review that (for example) Sri Mahaganapathe is merely one of MLV's popular krithis - it was in fact one of DKJ's popular krithis also.

That is, there is no need to try to convince anyone here about the admiration each school had for one another. You've talked about just one example, but there are stacks more. For example, while GNB's prime disciples are known for popularising many of his compositions, it is DKJ sir is known for popularising his composition in Malavi after learning it directly. GNB asked for an encore of DKP's Mukhari at a Music Academy concert. DKJ sir, despite being a direct disciple of P Sivan, actually modified his rendition of Sivan's composition in Thodi after hearing GNB's rendition.

I think the way badari expressed his individual experiences was very nice in most of the review, and so I don't fault what is being said for those parts. But the wording conveyed something to me which did not sit quite right with the facts, and evidently it was not just me (even if you or another were to personally disagree) - so perhaps the issue, as you did not understand it, was simple miscommunication.