Gayathri Venkataraghavan at Shruthi Laya New York

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sraja

Gayathri Venkataraghavan at Shruthi Laya New York

Post by sraja »

Date 22nd May 2016 5 pm to 8 pm
Venue Queens High School of Teaching Commonwealth Blvd Bellerose New York
Gayathri Venkataraghavan Vocal
Mysore Srikanth Violin
Akshay Padhmanabhan Mridangam

Song List

Sambho Mahadeva Bowli Neelakanta Sivan Rupakam (S)
Sri Maha Ganapathi Gowlai MD Misra Chapu (S)
Saarasaaksha Pantuvarali Swati Tirunal (A) (N) (S) Adi
Maa Ramanan Hindolam P. Sivan (A) (S)
Shobhillusaptaswara Jaganmohini Thyagaraja Rupakam
Evarimata Kambodhi Thyagaraja Adi (A) (N) (S)
Abheri RTP Misra Chaapu
Paagai Urugu Nenje Pankaja Kannanai
Ragamalika swaram in Hamsanadam , Nalinakanthi
Thani
Narayanathe (Gujarathi) Tilang Narasing Mehta Adi
Hindi Bhajan (surdas??)
Jo Achutha Kapi Annamacharya K Chapu
Maithrim bhajatha Mahaperiva
Mangalam

It was sheer bliss and ecstasy for three hours as GV's golden voice soared effortlessly for three hours across all octaves . The pallavi lines literally had the crowd urugufied.
Mysore Srikanth and Akshay Padmanabhan were outstanding in their contribution towards making this an absolutely brilliant concert.

rshankar

Re: Gayathri Venkataraghavan at Shruthi Laya New York

Post by rshankar »

Thank you! But it looks like the pallavi is missing a word. Unless I'm mistaken, as it stands, it's a call for the mind to melt the lotus-eyed one into a syrup!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rshankar wrote: Abheri RTP Misra Chaapu
Paagai Urugu Nenje Pankaja Kannanai
Thank you! But it looks like the pallavi is missing a word. Unless I'm mistaken, as it stands, it's a call for the mind to melt the lotus-eyed one into a syrup!
Ravi/Sraja

pAghAi urugu nEnjE pankaja kannanai ninaindu is the pallavi line .

This pallavi is by the Thiruvidaimarudhur Rajagopalan Subramaniam -TRS mama pallavi. sraja forgot to put the last word ninaindu. I am not sure if it still makes 100% sense to you after the addition of the last word . I am assuming vidushi Gayathri venkataraghavan may have got this spark from mohan santhanam who is the disciple of TRS . It is always a joy -rather pAghai urugum joy when some one sings a pallavi coined by tAla rAga swaroopan - way to go GV.

sraja
Thanks for your review . you usually have posted reviews from palghat - now gone to new york . Thank you.

All
I made a mistake mentioning way back of a TRS related post that this pallavi is in bhimplAs - i stand corrected it is Abheri after reading the post.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 25 May 2016, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thanks, Rajesh - 'ninanidu' will do for the missing word very nicely indeed! :)

sraja

Post by sraja »

Oops!! My bad. Thanks guys for pointing out the error. Indeed the word Ninaindu was there in the pallavi. Sorry for the error while typing.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

sraja,
Thanks for the review.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
25 05 2016

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Is it pAghai urugu or pAgAi urugu? As in, melt like syrup by thinking of pankaja kannan?

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Yes, pAgAi urugu indeed!

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Nice review sraja:I agree with you--it was a sweet concert in very way--Pallavi lyrics included!!!.I do not know if you hung around for my summation!!-this is a steady "punishment" that SruthiLaya Founder Srinath chooses to "inflict" on the sparse and yet captive audience!!
sraja--if you happen to be around NY--either visiting or here living please get in touch with me. If I have to take a wild guess as to who you could be ,my guess would be S.Raja(Aruna's brother)!!!!

What I liked about GV's music is that she uses her voice well and adheres to the "core' of MSAMMA"s music--whom she adores--the fidelity to the sruthi in the higher octaves and the clarity in the lower octaves.
At the end of the concert after I finished my summation she wanted to acknowledge my late father's encouragement to her musical career.I told her to "cease and desist"!!!
A little bit of nostalgia if I may be allowed!!

GV was a housewife--her husband an Ophthalmologist was with the ARAVIND EYE HOSPITAL in Tirunelveli.She had not considered seriously a musical career as she was away from Chennai. My father happened to hear her music--I do not know where-was impressed with her,urged her husband to move to Chennai(not that this was the decisive factor in her husband's career move). Recommended her to several sabhas--made it a point to review her concerts with such a regularity that some of the other younger artists(women) started teasing my father as a "turncoat"===always "backing" the favorite horse--ofcourse more out of humor than envy!!!

Ofcourse GV put her heart and soul into the music- took advantage of the openings that were available to her and the rest is history. My father even made her learn from my sister a few songs that my father "believed" would round off her repertoire--I used to kid my father about his self-professed clairvoyance in terms of what repertoire every artist should have!!(as an aside he once had the temerity to suggest in the middle of Ariyakudi's concert in Tamil--USENIYAI ELLORUM MARANDUTHELE"(All of you have forgotten Useni--my father anticipating a Ramanataka krithi--Eppadi ManamThunindhadho which was ARI's favorite in those days--was taken back when ARI sang Sri Raghukula"--a krithi of his Guru POOCHI Iyengar. Likewise once in a playful conversation with my wife-- my father sort of threw a challenge-- WHY does not LGJ compose a varnam in Useni --to this day I cannot understand his "obsession" with Useni-to him this was a touchstone for judging a musician's scholarship and repertoire!! Needless to say this "challenge" was conveyed to LGJ(after all we all would like to think of ourselves as the NARADAR of Kali Yuga provoking harmless feuds!!!) and the rest is history!!!

Ofcourse my father lived in a time when such reviews and personal intercessions were fruitful--not every rocket from the launching pad stays in orbit for long if it does not have the necessary "thrust". Today I think the buzz in the social media and the knowledgeable and discerning younger Rasikas crowd can "catapult" artistes with talent and the artistes need not feel "beholden" to the critics and blowhards(like me!!!).

As usual this post has taken the typical MUDIKONDAN twist-- a meandering narrative that leaves the reader in a miasma as to what was the original subject!!!

sraja

Post by sraja »

I did hear the speech at the end. Yes I am in NY till mid September. I can be reached on 8622622356 Regards Raja