Sahana Samraj - PARAMPARA - Aug 8th - Rec.

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shankarank

Sahana Samraj - PARAMPARA - Aug 8th - Rec.

Post by shankarank »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRHURzt0rqQ

Was listening to this in interest as She was noted as a budding artiste of promise.

A Good varali rendition. She seems to have that singing with Abandon quality in her approach to Akarams. Her voice is straining compared to her Cleveland at Chennai concert.

SankarabaraNam was interesting - with many unconventional tries. But there were misses here and there. A capable artiste - I guess professional output needs to improve.

Violin support was tentative.

Mridangam K Parthasarathy was very supportive - his measured approach to establishing pace during entuku peddala was helpful.

Ghatam volume was disproportionately high and the right thumb strokes were too snappy. The equalization seems to have gone the wrong way - high treble may be.

HarishankarK

Re: Sahana Samraj - PARAMPARA - Aug 8th - Rec.

Post by HarishankarK »

Her voice is excellent and her presentation very mature.
But I missed fillers and thukkaddas. I think including those songs is important too for a well rounded concert experience.

After Todi better to have selected some other melodious raga like mohanam or harikamboji or KHP even pk. Varali was well rendered but felt monotonous after Todi.

Purist

Post by Purist »

Kind of a nonchalant singing, gives an impression sangatis come to her than her going into sangatis.
Certainly very talented and will move up the ladder with more refinemnt and polishing that should
come with experience.

sankark

Post by sankark »

Any one taking husEni is good in my books (slOkam + vinata suta rArA + s at 1 drop). Only wish she had even more a gAthramAna kural.

sankark

Post by sankark »

HarishankarK wrote: After Todi better to have selected some other melodious raga like mohanam or harikamboji or KHP even pk. Varali was well rendered but felt monotonous after Todi.
Perhaps you skipped the husEni in between?

Purist

Post by Purist »

On Varali-Thodi being taken up within the same concert, without going into the technicalities
I do find it intriguing why is it chosen that way, when there is overlap in rasanubhavam of the two ragas.(purely from listening experience).There are many instances in the past too like by Alathur Bros in Academy concert(of 1962 or 1964), TKR , Semmangudi etc having done this.

ksharanam

Post by ksharanam »

> thukkaddas

I loved the fact that there were no "thukkadas" as defined today. Ariyakkudi or Chembai or Musiri or Viswanatha Iyer or Tiger never sang abhangs or random Hindustani songs, and no one dared to ask them to. Sahana rounded off the concert with a traditional Thillana, and that felt perfect.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

I meant to ask and this thread showed up. Is she taking a sabbatical break? - haven't seen this artiste in Arkay/Nada Inbam web relays for a while! And no reviews from elsewhere.

parivadini

Post by parivadini »

I heard her sing a (mridangam) arangetram concert a few weeks back at BVB.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Parivadini,
It's good to know that she is performing.

Another good thing is, though our Concert Reviews section brims with postings, we cannot possibly cover all concerts. It's nice to pause and think: CM is heard live in many parts of the world every week like never before. Even the summer lull in Chennai is no more there--look at the Mudhuradhvani, Parivadini (!), the ever-flowing Nada Inbam concerts and more :)