S Sowmya, MA, 18/Dec/2016

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
sankark

S Sowmya, MA, 18/Dec/2016

Post by sankark »

Charumathi Raghuram, Neyveli Narayanan, H Prasanna Ghatam

Dr S Ramanathan's centenary year so she is going to sing thAthA's oft sung items.

pUrnachandrikA varnam tyAgaraja sadgurO, Adi, Dr S Ramanathan
varAlandu kommani nAyendu, s@pallavi. indha swarathukku kodutha kAsu sariya pochu. Rest of concert and next is monetarily free :)

sankark

Re: S Sowmya, MA, 18/Dec/2016

Post by sankark »

nAyaki kanugonu sowkyamu NN is accentuating the pallavi very well

varanArada nArAyana ns@prakatambuga kIrthilOsangina electric! pulled off with elan! (taking off on the famous kabAli dialogue, Summa porthindu vandhu keerthanai paaditu pora Sowmyannu nenecheengala! SowmyAdA!)

yArukkthAn theriyum

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

All Dr SR special

sankark

Post by sankark »

bilahari dorakunA itu ns@rAmabrahma tanayudau tyAgarAja tani

srI gurunA pAlitOsmi

thOdi

sankark

Post by sankark »

RTP(nin malaradi iNai thuNaiyE nIlamayil vAgananE, pallavi of Dr SR's composition in mEgaranjani), anga tALam 1 plutam + 1 lagu + 1 guru, 24 aksharam, gurupAdA. samarppanam to her guru, trikAlam

bhavAni tvam soundaryalahari shlOkam

sankark

Post by sankark »

in rAgamAlikai bhavAni, ?, bhImplAs?,
bhUlOka kumAri hE amrtanAri, bhAratiyArs one out of three Sanskrit songs
chennikkulanagar kAvadi chindu

Sangeetham

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sankark,
Sounds great, the concert. Sowmya paying tribute to her guru fittingly.

As for you, you are on a roll. Keep the commentaries coming :)

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

How was her voice? Recordings this year (when compared to the previous 2 years) I have listened to have prompted this question from me.

sankark

Post by sankark »

Vocalist wrote:How was her voice? Recordings this year (when compared to the previous 2 years) I have listened to have prompted this question from me.
Has been quite a while since I attended her concert, mebbe about 2 years. No discernible worsening. There is the usual karakarappu at mEl sthAyi, a little bit of audible breath at times.

Request to Sowmya - Odi bhArayya, ayyanE natanam etc. also please! SR takes Odi bhArayya as a post main in one concert and renders a superlative nereval at Odi muddAdi mAthAdi santhOshagUdi!
Last edited by sankark on 19 Dec 2016, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

Anusha

Post by Anusha »

I enjoyed this concert. Sowmya sang with so much passion and ease. Her explanation for Anga thalam was very helpful. And I must admit, I didn't pay full attention to the pallavi. Was lost in my futile attempts to match the thalam!

gajaa

Post by gajaa »

As much as I love the passion, repertoire, patanthara shuddam etc that Sowmya brings to the table (medai!:)), I have to admit that her voice has been showing significant strains even on the mildly higher octaves over the last 2 or 3 years. I should however confess that over the last year, I've listened to most of her concerts only on TV / radio recordings etc (but I can be sure they were the latest). It's wonderful if the strain has vanished in this season ;) Hope she really takes care of it to further prolong her vocal prowess.

Madras-Talkies

Post by Madras-Talkies »

I really loved her first half of the concert, Nayaki, Gurjari and Vijaysri renditions were simply outstanding. varAlandu kommani nAyendu in gurjari and Swaram rendition was simply amazing, very smartly she rendered sdnp (avarohanam) to highlight the difference between mayamalavagowlai and Gurjari ragam. She also highlighted all the swaraakshara prayogas really well in the song.

Sub main was Nayaki ragam, stamp of vidwat, seasoned artist and sowkiyam prevailed from the second she began the ragam. She took up kanugonu sowkyamu. It was outstanding chowkala rendition. After that, super fast rendition of varanaradana, nereval and swaram changed the mood of the concert really well. From here on the concert energy started to dip significantly, bilahari was the main piece. Dorakuna.. the punch of that ragam or the song did not reflect in her rendition.

Post which, she took up thodi ragam for rtp, she presented her usual frills of sangatis to highlight the nadaswara bhani, nothing lifted the mood. Charu was on the violin, she would have got sabhash from the audience at least 5 times when she rendered thodi ragam. Such good violinists really elevate the concert.

Sowmya could have planned it better, she started tanam at 6.05 and finished at 6.10. In that five mins, she kinda did deliver a punchy and briskly tanam.

One of the other thing that I noticed is that she cautiously delivers the connecting notes in a creative manner to increase woah/ sowkiyam aspect.

sankark

Post by sankark »

https://www.sangeethamshare.org/tvg/UPL ... -S_Sowmya/

Odi bArayyA by SS in an AIR recording. There is also another Dr SR number - AnandamayamanavE of WVB