Mahadevan Sankaranarayanan @ SRLKM on 5.1.2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
kssr

Mahadevan Sankaranarayanan @ SRLKM on 5.1.2017

Post by kssr »

Mahadevan Sankaranarayanan- Mathur Srinidhi-Arjun Kumar

( When I went into the well decorated open air theatre where the concert was held, I told myself that I will listen to the concert just like that of any other young artist and forget for the time being his illustrious father and guru as well as his musical lineage of giant musical personalities. In many cases, our opinions are influenced by our knowledge of such background information)

1. Jaya Jaya Ganapathi mangala kaari- Hamsadhwani- Swaram @ Jaya jaya
2. Maamava sadaa varade - Naatakurinji - Swaram @ Maamava
3. Rama bhakthi saamrajyam- Suddha bangaaLaa - Excellent swaram
4. Anupama gunambudhi - Atana - Authoritative presentation
5. Sriranjani- Ragam- Paalisamma muddhu sarathe- Purandaradasa-
6. Sahana ragam- abhayaambayaam bhaktim karOmi sachiidaananda roopaayaam - Swaram @ Abhayaambayaam - MD
7. Shanmukhapriya ragam- Marivere dikh evvarayya Rama - Neraval and brilliant swarams @ Sannutanga
8. Mohanam- Ragam- Mohana rama- Swaram
9. Thani
10. Sevikka vendum ayya- Andolika- Swaram
11. RTP in Lathangi
Pallavi line: Madhura bhaashini lathaangi raja maathangi madurapura vaasini - swaram . Ragamalika swaram in desh and sindubhairavi.
12. Tiruppavai- Etra kalangaL- Naadanaama kriya
13. Thillana- Sankarabharanam
14. Mangalam

Comments:
a. It was simply an amazing top class concert.
b. At the opening, I felt that he could have taken a sruti a shade lower.
c. First three songs with no alapanai but captivating swarams- very good warm up.
d. Atana was emphatic and impressive.
e. First major ragam was Sriranjani and a surprise Paalisamma - a kannada song rendered very well. Confusion free clarity in ragam. No swaram.
f. The best of the evening was a superlative shanmukhapriya swaram. As such the song itself was sung at top speed. So also the elaborate swaram . Perfect clarity of the swaram and its positioning. Super fast and brilliant. With this potential he can give a run for their money to any other vidwan in his age group.
g. Mohanam was not too elaborate- probably rightly so, as stretching it too much will make the whole concert sag. Good decision. Also, to give time for RTP.
h. Nothing much about RTP ragam. Thanam was brighter. Interesting way in ragamalika swaram- reminded me of Maharajapuram santhanam in his popular numbers like Sree chakra raja, etc.,- when moving to the new raga, give a brief ragam sketch- MS did the same moving to Desh, Sindubhairavi..
I. Tiruppavai- a bit amateurish. Well, the month demands, I guess :roll:
j. Overall he is a top class artist in his own right and should be having many times more opportunities he presently gets on the concert stage.
k. Personally I feel very optimistic that Mahadevan will be seen a lot in the coming years.
l. Accompaniments: Srinidhi did admirably in following MS to the last briga, which is not easy at all. The ever bright Arjun Kumar , as usual did a super job. Upa pakkavaadyam , I always feel would be a good addition in any concert. It will give the mridangam vidwan some rest and it will also take away the monotony of a single percussion.
m. The concert itself was extremely satisfactory and did justice to the 3 hours spent on the commute.
n. Once again thanks to the great service of Sri.Krishna Prasad and team for organising such grand events.

rajeshnat

Re: Mahadevan Sankaranarayanan @ SRLKM on 5.1.2017

Post by rajeshnat »

Nice selection of songs. Keep it up mahadevan. Thanks kssr for your review

Sivaramakrishnan

Re: Mahadevan Sankaranarayanan @ SRLKM on 5.1.2017

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Mahadevan Sankaranarayanan has immense potential and he ranks among the best young vidwans.

I was told that in a recent music festival in Trivandrum, his concert was rated the best.

Like father like son!