Concert Reviews and Other Important Posts that was Posted in sangeetham.com -2004 to 2006

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Concert Reviews and Other Important Posts that was Posted in sangeetham.com -2004 to 2006

Post by rajeshnat »

Concert Reviews and Other Important Posts that RajeshNat Posted in sangeetham.com -2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There were atleast 100 to 200 reviews that i must have wrote in the years 2002 to 2006 in sangeetham. Significant reviews around 25 to 30% of what I wrote, I have saved in my notepad. I lost lot of them as I only wrote directly in sangeetham.com website . More Importantly We have lost all those lovely posts close to 200,000. Atleast there were about 500 to 1000 reviews and detailed discussions on ragas , vidwans,vageyyakaras etc , some spectacular writeups like JC Wodeyar thread where CMLover and Dr Shrikanth Murthy was engaged in a lovely q and a and we unearthed so much of content

I will atleast push every day a post and retrieve and transfer from the titanic sangeetham.com .

I will push all the reviews that i wrote and any of the big writeups that I wrote if at all it makes any contextual sense. I will keep one post per day.

A lot is lost after V Sriram and sanjay subrahmanyan betrayed the participating rasikas and pulled the plug without giving any notice . It is sad that such a thing happened , I wish sriram and sanjay atleast makes all the content of sangeetham.com as read only. We dont need another forum but let the content be read by all rasikas on sangeetham.com as atleast read only content. It is all ours - the posters which included sriram and sanjay too and all of us like cmlover , DRS, arasi ,Chembai (the previous id of srkris) etal...

Let me move ON

rajeshnat

Re: Concert Reviews and Other Important Posts that RajeshNat Posted in sangeetham.com -2004

Post by rajeshnat »

Preethi Mahesh @ Raaga Sudha Hall on 14 Sept 2004
----------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I had a chance to listen to Preethi Mahesh(Carnatic Vocal) for the first time . I have not heard her till me seeing yesterdays Hindu Paper.The Kirthanais that she rendered are

1. Swaami - NattaiKurinji - Papanasam Sivan
2. Siddhi Vinayagam- Shanmughapriya- Dikshitar
3. Bhajare Gopalam- HIndolam- Bhadrachaala Ramadas
4. Chinnna Natanana- ??? - Thyagaraja
5.Smarane Unde Jhalale(RS)- Malayamurtham-Purandaradasar
6. Sharadhe Veena Sharadhe-- Devagandhari (????)- Bhadrachaala Ramadas
7. Purahara Nandana - Amir Kalyani - Dikshitar
8. Sri Krisham Bhaje-- Todi-- Dikshitar
9. Bhavayami Gopalam- Yamuna Kalyaani - Annamacharya
10. Enna Thavam- Kaapi - Papanasam Sivan
11. Kurai Onrum Illai in Raagamaligai folllowed by Mangalam

OVerall she has got a quite a mellifluous voice . Her varnam , Shanmughapriya and Hindolam was very good . The best piece I liked was Malayamuratham Kirthanai and the Todi Alapana . I wished she could have gone little more with the the Neraval in Todi. Bhavayami Gopalam was very moving felt at times as though I am hearing MS.

The Raaga Sudha Hall owner gave an Interesting anecdote about Preethi . Preethi has been singing in only Dance concerts till now and this is her first attempt in singing as a Carnatic Solo Vocalist .

Also Preethi learnt from DKJ. Overall the concert was only for 2 hours but she really did justice in picking up a variety of composers and singing them all with good Bhavam and melody.There was just one thing that was less soothing was that she was loudly thumping her hand on her thighs for the taalam. That was very annoying especially during Rupakam thaalam . I hope she corrects that and also as the Raaga Sudha Hall owner said that she has to come full time from not being just a dance vocalist to a full fleged carnatic vocalist.

CRama

Re: Concert Reviews and Other Important Posts that RajeshNat Posted in sangeetham.com -2004

Post by CRama »

Thanks for your efforts Rajesh. I was not in sangeetham.com and now I will get a chance to read those posts and get enriched. Do at your convenience.

rajeshnat

Re: Concert Reviews and Other Important Posts that was Posted in sangeetham.com -2004

Post by rajeshnat »

TV Sankaranarayan @PS High School on Sept 15,2004
------------------------------------------------------------------
Accompanied by M Chandrasekaran- Violin Srimushnam Raja Rao- Mridangam and ????- Kanjira.The Kirthanais that he rendered are
1. Swaaminatha Paripalaya with a beginning slokam Sudaroliye - Nattai - Dikshitar
2. Ramaabhi Rama Ramaniya Raama- Durbar??- Thyagaraja
3. Meenakshi Ne Mudham(R,N,S)- Gamakakriya/POorviKalyani- Dikshitar
4. Deva Devam Bhaje (RS)- Hindolam - Annamacharya
5. Kapali(RNST)- MOhanam-P Sivan
6. Saraasamukhi Sakala-- Gowdamalhaar- HMB
7. RTP "Mahatma Mani Mozhi" - Shanmughapriya with swarams followed in Behag,Desh and Sindhu Bhairavi - ???
8. Viruttam with his usual Srinivasa Tiruvenkata-- Hamsanaandhi -- P. Sivan
9. Parukelle Nalla Naadu- Jonpuri or Maand ???? - Bharathiyar
10. Mangalam

Overall the concert was fantastic . As usual he was full throated and raga alapans in all was very good . Mohanam + Shanmughapriya the best for me . The Neraval of Madhura Puri Nilaye in Gamakakriya was well received by the audience .

The best I liked was his 50 minute RTP especially the taanam and all the swaras . Particularly when he just started with Desh , the power went out , he continued for the next 40 minutes without the mike . I was seated more towards the last row and all of us could still hear his voice . That was really magic to all. TVS face never frowned, no looking here and there ,no instructions to Sound Engineer to do this or that .His mannerism even when power went was nice and for TVS,his music only matters(maybe he got that from MMI). Also at the end of the concert when very few of us went to dias , he enquired whether we could hear everything .His RTP swarams lasted nearly 15 to 20 minutes and was flowing like Ganges.

Chandrasekar's violin was perfect and Raja Rao was very good . I felt the Tani was quite long , the kanjira accompany was below average.

Overall a great concert that I can cherish for a long time and always he is one of my favourites.

On a side note for the past 1 or 2 years ,I had a chance to hear TVS in 5 to 6 concerts , I felt the sound was very loud . I believe sometimes the reason is because TVS always wants the sound to be adjusted little more high than the average, and because of that at times i had to at times close my ear . Hopefully some one close to TVS advices him on that .

MaheshS

Re: Concert Reviews and Other Important Posts that was Posted in sangeetham.com -2004

Post by MaheshS »

rajeshnat wrote:TV Sankaranarayan @PS High School on Sept 15,2004
Accompanied by M Chandrasekaran- Violin Srimushnam Raja Rao- Mridangam and ????- Kanjira.The Kirthanais that he rendered are
I've never heard a neraval for Kapali before, especially from MMI school. Can you remember where it was?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

MaheshS wrote:
rajeshnat wrote:TV Sankaranarayan @PS High School on Sept 15,2004
I've never heard a neraval for Kapali before, especially from MMI school. Can you remember where it was?
MaheshS
I realized today when i pasted that i must have made a mistake then about adding N to Kapali. I am assuming now that I must have made a mistake of putting a N to a RST-kapali

ram

Post by ram »

Use http://web.archive.org/web/200209231125 ... etham.com/ to see the old posts on sangeetham.com. You can select the date at the top of the web page to see the update closest to the date.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ram
I tried all of this web.archive.org. YOu only have few static content and when you hit the link you get only error
For eg, Hit the link http://web.archive.org/web/200412211101 ... 3?forid=10 . You will find lot of concert review links, touch any link you only get error which says "Wayback Machine doesn't have that page archived.". The sangeetham.com team ensured no one access the data and they have worked specifically to purge data after they pulled the plug.

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

You can retrieve some topics from this link. You have to look at each archive page from each year starting from 1999. Only a limited number of topics are available.
http://web.archive.org/web/200101010000 ... eetham.com

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

R Suryaprakash @Sastri Hall on Sept 15,2004
----------------------------------------------------

Accompanied by Gopinath- Violin K.S Ranganathan- Mridangam and Shankar- Ghatam.The Kirthanais that he rendered are
1. Gadhaye Gadhaya Madhavam- KalyAni - Narayana Theerthar
2. Evarani Ne- DevamurthaVarshini- Thyagaraja
3. Brovaba Rama(R,S)- Bahudari- Thyagaraja
4. Rama Katha Sudha(RNST)- Madhyamavathi-Thyagaraja
5. RTP"Parimala Ranganatha"- Khambodhi with swarams in kambodhi+ (Shanmugha +Rasika +Nataka)Priya -?????
6. Vellai Thamarai-- Bhimplas- Bharathiyar
7. Slokam and Thillana - Hamsanandhi - Suryaprakash own composition of thillana
8. Mangalam

Overall the concert was more than good. I can see he should be the torchbearer of MMI and TVS in the future .Bahudari Alapana was very good , but the kambodhi alapana in RTP was outstanding . I liked the Evarani Ne kirthi very much, but for me the main piece Rama katha was little dissapointing to me . Suryaprakash could have had a little longer swara prastharam and Neraval ,and also the raga alapana of Madhyamavathi did not appear as a pure madhyamavathi . I could find traces of Sree ragam (I may be wrong , my 2 cents..).

His best was his RTP. The swarams in RTP were very much in MMI style, especially the kambodhi swarams was carbon copy of MMI. I was happy to hear his own thillana in Hamsanandhi. Support of Violin was just good . Mridangam/Ghatam could have been better.Certainly Rasikas of mmi/tvs should go to his concert.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ranjani/Gayathri @Vinayagar temple, RA puram on Sept 19,2004
------------------------------------------------------------

Accompanied by ??- Violin ??- Mridangam and ??- Kanjira (I did notknow all 3 of them).The Kirthanais that they rendered are
1. Vallabha Nayakasya- Begada - Dikshitar
2. Anupama Gunabudhi- Atana- Thyagaraja
3. Sugunamule Cheppu Konti (RNS)- I thought it is Vanaspathi , someone told me it is chakravaakam ???- Thyagaraja
4. Venkata Shaila Vihara(R)- AmirKalyani-Subbaraya Sastri
5. Padavini- Salaga Bhaiavi-Thyagaraja
6. Kunran Kudi konda Velava(R,N,S,T)-- Todi- Papaanasam Sivan
7. Viruttam (Shooranam Pidithu Yama Paasam) - Kambodhi + Amirthavarshini + Sindhu Bhairavi - ??? (help me on this please)
8. followed by Manadhirkku ugandhadu - Sindhu Bhairavi - Tanjore Sankara Iyer
9. Gayire Ganapathi (bhajan) - Suddha Saarang - Tulsi das
10. Eppadi Padinaro- Karnataka Devagandhari - suddananda bharathi
11. Pavamana (mangalam)

Overall the concert was fantastic. Her rendering of Sugunamule with the neraval in Gnadhi Sukhanamulu was grand . THe best piece was undoubtedly the TOdi piece . Both sisters shared the alapana and the Neraval " Undhan Pugazh Kanavilum Orukanamum Marindhuruthu Ariyane" was fantastic . Swaraprastarm in TOdi was very good . Also the viruttam was handled very well , with Gayathri singing kambodhi and Sindhu Bhairavi ,Ranjani sang in Amirthavarshini. Rest was customary follow up.

I feel Ranjani/Gayathri concert never sags at all and this is my 3rd live concert . I really like their song selection and they sing in a gripping fashion .

What I donot like about them is they invariably complete the concert always in 2 hours (yesterday it is 5min less than 2 hours, considering nearly 10 to 15 minute concert went to Tani). As both of them share equally the pedestal I guess they can certainly go for atleast another 30 minutes more as certainly they seem to have stamina. This additonal time , they can sing a good Shyama Sastri kirthanai or a good RTP to give a wholesome concert experience .

Apart from this demerit , I feel they truly captivate the audience with their wonderful style of singing .As far as accompaniments , Mridangam and Kanjira was good , maybe I felt violin could have been better.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I am not sure in what context this post was put by me . I forgot that . May be some one started a thread taking some thing from abdul kalam vision 2020. I have no clue now . Any way the below post was a post made on 2004 about how 2020 would be . Certain guess work stated below is kind of happening.

Below Post made some time in sept 2004
----------------------------------------
Well in 2020 ,
This is what I would be afraid of ...

1.The singer says , I completed a kirthi in Mayamalavagowlai and Pantuvarali , and says there would be a break , and 3 ads of the damn Nalli , Kumaran and Chennai Silks will come and the singer will start his/her alapanai in Raagam Kalyaani.

2.At the end of main piece , during Tani avatharam , most rasikas will go out and have sweet ,Kaaram and coffee outside and maybe there will be delivery of these via cell phone or sangeetham.com website where some or all rasikas will be having pda's or laptop for submitting the order list.

3. Cell phone usage will be rampant to the extent that a lucky rasika will be drawn from lots . This lucky rasika will get a free radel sruti box and will request a tukkada song directly to the vocalist by callling him/her in the cell phone. All this will be webcast in the sangeetham.com

4. Traffic jam will be monitored in the sangeetham.com during katcheri season and there would be a reporter in every sabha and there would be a talk show hostess anchoring and calling all their reporters,so that a . All this would be webcast by sangeetham.com.

5. Sangeetham.com will come up with a live webcast for a dollar rate , where you can store your profile and ask queries and select any song from all 1000 sabhas. YOu can say something like this, if Sanjay sings RTP in Bhairavi and if TMK sings a RTP in Sankarabharanam at the same time , I would prefer Bhairavi RTP. Also some Artificial intelligence will be added where real time data from rasikas in the concert will be collected . So hypothetically if Bhairavi of Sanjay is having some throat problems and if 75% rasikas recognized that ,then automatically the rasika will move to RTP in Sankharabharanam by TMK.

On the no nonsense side,

1.Sangeetham.com with the help of police, sabha officials will penalize all the cell phone users , the plastic cover crushers, balle balle sabashers and politely find a way to minimize or eliminate this disrespect that every rasikas give.

2.Performing artist with the help of sangeetham.com will really share the knowledge and should consider emulating MMI and SSI and understand how they had that much stamina,bhavam,gamakam and gnanam. Every artist should always sing a RTP in a concert and structure it for atleast 2.5 to 3 hours .

3.The cinema industry and Television industry should continue their downward trend so that more people come to sabhas and watch live concerts .Also carnatic CD's should be priced cheaper.

4. The carnatic music is always considered an intellectual exercise of South India . That should go away and more and more people throughout atleast India and indians abroad should sing .Sangeetham.com should help a big way on that.

5. Sangeetham.com should help people to mature from a good rasika to a good performer .Some how just like early 19th century or 20th century every 5 out of 10 family members were singing , in 2004 maybe 1 out of 1000 are only singing. That trend should go away.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ranjani/Gayatri @Ragasudha Hall, Luz on Oct 04,2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Accompanied by HN Bhaskar- Violin ;;Skandasubramaniam- Mridangam and ??- Ghatam .The Kirthanais that they rendered are
1. Era Naapai(Varnam)- Todi(??) - Patnam
2. Rama Neepai- Kedaram- Thyagaraja
3. Oraru Mugane- Reethigowlai - ???
4. Brovabarama(RS)- Bahudari(The alapana sounded like Valaci , Is valaci and bahudari atleast during alapanai very similiar)-Thyagaraja
5. Pahi Jagajanani- Hamsanandhi (?)- ???
6. nAdupai balikEru narulu (R,N,S)-- Madhyamavathi- Thyagaraja
7. RTP (wiht Tani) - Shanmughapriya ( The pallavi was in Karthikeya Kangeya Gowri Thanaya Kava Kandaiyaa) - Swarams in Shanmughapriya,Vasanta,Khamas,Varaali and Madhuvanti - ???
8. Viruttam "Naadum Nagaramum THedi thirindhu siva peruman enru paadum" - Bilahari + Suddadhanyasi + Sindhu Bhairavi - ??? (help me on this please, can anyone post the lyrics of this lovely viruttam)

9. Chandrasekara Eesa Sundareshwara - Sindhu Bhairavi - ????
10. Bhajan- Ahir Bhairav - Tulsidas
11. Abhang - Bhimplas- Tukkaram
11. Pavamana (mangalam)

Overall the concert was truly outstanding. The concert lasted 3 hours and all of us were spellbound . For me personally this is the first RTP that I am hearing them singing live . The Rama Neepai was sung beautifully with Ranjani taking charge . The reeti gowlai was soaked with lot of bhavam. The alapana of bahudari was elegant and was crisply delivered with moving swarams by both sisters.
Ajanuabhava Shri" was fantastic . The best was the elaborate Shanmughapriya RTP. Both sisters took 2 turns each in Shanmughapriya . The Taanam lasted about 15 minutes with Gayathri taking 2 turns and Ranjani taking a turn . The Swaram pallavi line "Karthikeya ..." was sung in 2 speeds but definitely not as moving as Raagam and Taanam. However in the Kalpana swaram the sisters were the best with Ranjani taking Vasantha and Varali , Gayathri taking Khamas and Madhuvanti . The RTP lasted about 45 minutes with excellent support by the violinist. Tani was just ok by both.

These sisters are just fabulous and this is the best live concert of R/G that I heard . Perhaps the other 3 that I heard was free concerts and hence was not as grand as this. As usual there is always no sag in R/G concerts. God bless them

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Vasudevan@Bharathya Vidya Mandir on Oct 04,2004
--------------------------------------------------------------
There is a pallavi concert that is being held during the whole of this week .The theme is singing pallavis in just two raagams (one carnatic and other hindustani type). Both raagams are performed for about 2 and half hours . Yesterday I had a chance to hear a youngster Delhi Vasudevan singing.

The two raagams that he handled were Ranjani and Darbari Kanada. Vasudevan started with a varnam in Ranjani and continued with RTP in Ranjani. The RTP in Ranjani was for about 45 minutes . Then he continued for another hour , an another RTP in Darbari Kanada. Both were Tisra Triputa taalam.

This youngster definitely has got a good voice , his raga alapanai and Taaanam singing was good, with Ranjani Tanam and Darbari Kanada alapanai being very good . However when it came to pallavi Neraval it was very stagnant for most of the time .Manodharmam here was minimum almost became still . I guess one of the reasons is there may not be that much scope to elaborate for a total 2 and 1/2 hours .However when Pallavi swarams started after the Neraval it was once again good.

I have listened to these kind of thematic concerts a year before arranged by carnatic . During that time Sowmya sang a Neelambari and Ahiri for hour and quarter each . At that time a kirti and a RTP was rendered .That was more impressive .

But however having only 2 RTP's for hour and half and fairly limited scoped ragams is something the organizers should consider twice . May be they can bring 3 ragams in 2 and half hours or just limit to 2 hours . Also having 2 Tani for both the RTP's was something I cannot that easily appreciate .

May be I am wrong,with my claim it is too much of a stretch to sing RTP's for this long time . Today the ragams are Dhanyasi and Dvijavanti (both are lovely) . Definitely I feel this encouragement of this trust will bring lot of youngsters to sing and popularize RTP's and also some rasikas like me (close to zero) to have little more gnanam.

The violinist Neela Jayakumar was good but the Mridangist Trivandrum * (forgot the name ) was just ok.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Maharajapuram Ramachandran, KGS on Oct 05,2004
-------------------------------------------------
Accompanied by Sanjeev (???)- Violin Arun Prakash-Mridangam and ??- kanjira .The Kirthanais that they rendered are
1. Kripa Jochedu(Varnam)- Sahana(??) - ?? (just went late only heard the last line)
2. Vinayaga Vinayaga Vigna - 5 pancharatna keerthanai ragams - ???
3. Rara Raghuveera- Atana - Thyagaraja
4. Hiranmayim Lakshmim(RNS)- Lalita -Dikshitar
5. Guruvayoor Appane- Reethigowlai- Ambujam Krishna
6. Dinamani Vamsa (R,S,T)-- HariKambhoji- Thyagaraja
7. Ksheerabdhi Kannige - Ragamaliga in five ragams Kurinji,Yamuna Kalyani,Darbari kanada,Sindhu Bhairavi and manirangu - PD
8. Viruttam "Kanda Guha Shanmugha" - Ragamaliga in four ragams(Kedaragowlai,HamirKalyani,Shubhapanthuvarali and Brindavana Saranga) - ???
9. Chella Kani Vazha Sollada - Brindavana Saranga - Yazhpanam Veeramani
10. Pavamana (mangalam)

Overall the concert was between good and very good . The concert lasted 2 hours and 15 minutes. His father's stamp was everywhere . The best was Vinayaga in all five ghana ragams (typical vintage stuff).Atana was very good . The lalita(which has become his trademark)alapana was outstanding , however the Neraval and Swarams was not that great as his alapana.

Hari Kambhodhi Alapana was very good , though the swaram was not that great. The Guruvayoor Appane and Ksheerabdhi Kannige was little fast and did not come up with that great bhavam as what his father used to deliver. The best piece was the Viruttam especially the Subhapantuvarali and Brind Saranga was just outstanding. The Chella Kani Vazha Sollada thukkada was the best , this was tuned by his father written by Yazhpanam Veeramani

Overall he is definitely improving day by day. Perhaps just like his great Dad he might peak soon at around age of 60. One of the best thing that I like about Ramachandran is his base shruti. Just too good.I guess he at times does not need a mike because of his great base voice. Hopefully one day he would match his Dad.

About the pakkavadyam violin and mridangam was just good . Arun Prakash had not idled that much as I have seen in quite a few concerts before. But I still feel Arun can play more.Arun was very good 2 years back , but certainly not now. Kanjira we did not hear much ! Perhaps I felt Kanjira was more tuning and idling than playing.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

OST@Raga Sudha,Luz on Oct 06,2004
-----------------------------------------------

Accompaniment - Mullaivasal Chandramouli Mridangam- Srimushnam Raja Rao

1,2 -- I was late??? (some one told me it was a bilahari varnam and Arabhi Kriti)
3. Sujana Jeevana (heard only swarams as I was late)- Khamas - Thyagarajar
4. sanatana parama pavana-- Phalamanjari (sounded very close to Kanada)- Thyagaraja
5. Tarunam Eedamma (RS)- GowliPantu- Shyama Sastri
6. Geetharthamu Sangeetha nandanu (RST)- Surruti- Thyagaraja
7. Tunga Teera Viharam - Salaga Bhairavi - Kamalesa Vittala(Anandadasar)
8. Quick Madhyamavathi finish in Nanu pai Palike .
9. Mangalam

Overall the concert was between good and very good. For the first time I was hearing this aboorva ragam Phalamanjari . This sounded very much like Kanada and was sung very well . Then the best which I liked was the lovely Gaulipantu Raaga alapanai with great bhavam in Tarunam Eedamma . With very good manodharma the raga alapanai of Surutti was fantastic . I think hearing him for the 4 th or 5th time , he excels a lot in raga alapanai especially in Kharaharapriya and Surutti. Rest was quick finish . Chandramouli violin bowing was very good no scratches , but the tempo was little slower than OST's . Raja Rao did well and some stretches in Surruti , I loved a lot . Tani was good ,but felt little bit too loud not much of suga suga mridangam.

Overall like in the past concerts he does very well with raga alapanai ,but when it comes to kalpana swarams it is just plain vannila and manodharma in Kalpana swaram is just average.Especially during the main krithi , I have always felt a more desire to hear more swarams when compared to his excellent alapanas

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Aruna Sairam@Sringeri Temple on 14 Oct 2004
-------------------------------------------------------
Accompanying Aruna Sairam were Mullaivasal Chandramouli- Violin , Tanjore Murugabhoopathy--- Mridangam , Kanjira -?????
The concert since being held in a Sharadha temple ,all kirthis were mostly dedicated to goddess Ambal

1.Started with a viruttam on Sharadha continued with the krithi Sangeetha Sastra - Mohanam - Krishna Dasan ??????
2. Vinave o manasa- Nalinakanthi ????- Thyagaraja
3. Balasarasa Murali- Keeravani(RS) - Oothukadu Venkatakavi's Kalinga nartanam
4. Sharadham- Devagandhari - Papanasam Sivan
5. ???- Dhanyasi - Gopalakrishna Bharathi
6. palinchu Kamatshi(RNST) - Madhyamavathi - Shyamasastri
7. ????- Yadhukala Kambhoji -- Gopalakrihna Bharathi
8. Abhang - Basant Bahaar(????)-- ????
9. Viruttam-Kalyani + Aananda Bhairavi + Sahana(???) -
10. Jagathjanani sukhapani - Ratipatipriya-- ????

Aruna Sairam started with a lovely dedication to sharadhambal and follwed with a krihi in Mohanam . Mohanam suits her voice lot. The best was very soulful keeravani raga alapanai and the lovely and longoothukadu kriti (can I call that swarajathi). Devagandhari had a short alapana and the Dhanyasi piece was also rendered very well.

The main piece was a little disappointment to me . THe madhyamavathi neraval started well but did not end well . Swarams were average . Then she dedicated a marathi song for Ambhal (not sure if it a abhang , sometimes I assume aruna singing a marathi song is an abhang) . The Marathi song appeared great and was moving but however at the end it was more like a bhajan . Viruttam was fantastic , lovely in Aananda Bhairavi and the third ragam . I had to leave listening only till Jagathjanani Sukhapani which was very good.

Overall I certainly feel the concert was between good and very good . One thing I did not like is the over percussion support of especiallly Mridangam ,Murugabhoopathy kept banging and even suppressed Aruna which is quite a feat for his stamina . I was especially very disappointed in the madhyamavathi main piece as I had could not hear Aruna's voice, but however tani was excellent . Observing Tanjore Murugabhoopathy for almost a year , he tends to overbang at times like a Radha Kalyanam Bhajanai . The ghatam was very good and violin was pretty average.

p.s Apologies for giving incomplete list as I had no pen to write .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Aruna Sairam@Ramakrishna Home on 22 Oct 2004
-----------------------------------------------------------

Accompanying Aruna Sairam were Bhaskar- Violin , Neyveli Narayanan(?)--- Mridangam , Kanjira -????? , Morsing ---????

1.Started with Samaganalole - Hindolam- GNB
2. Sivakama Sundari -??? -????
3. Jagadeesha Kripai(RS) - Mohanam -Tiruvaaroor Raamaswaami PiLLai
4. Venkataramanane Baro - Sankharabharanam (??) -Purandaradasar
5. O Jegadamba- Aananda Bhairavi - Shyamasastri
6. Himagiri thanaye- SuddaDhanyasi - HMB
7. Thaye Yasoda(RST) - Todi - Oothukadu Venkatakavi
8. Dhyaname Parama Pavana- ???? - Oothukadu Venkatakavi (?)
9. Abhang - Basant Bahaar or Ahir Bhairav(????)-- ????
10. Maaadu Maikkum -- ???? -?????
11.Abhang(Bhakthi Jana..) - Brindavana Saranga -???
12. Thamarai Pootha Thadagam- SindhuBhairavi - Dandapani Desigar
13. Viruttam (lines were Mayavan Thangai)- Sahana(?) + Kalyani-??
14. Viruttam ending with Unnai Alllal - Kalyani - Papanasam Sivan
15. Thillana - Gambeera Nattai -Oothukadu

I went late and reached only from the third song . Heard the first two from the person who sat next to me .Aruna Sairam sang a lovely Mohanam alapanai and a lovely kriti . Kalpana Swarams in Mohanam was fantastic .But certainly the next krithi Venkataramanane Baro was more like a Kurinji ragam to me than a Shankarabharam which is published in one of the popular website .

O Jegadamba was started with a small slokam and was sung with a very nice bhavam.Sudda Dhanyasi was just average .Then she sang a lovely Todi raga alapanai. Just when I was expecting a popular Thyagaraja or Papanasam Sivan krithi in todi , she started with the Thaye Yasoda with the line tayalai keladi undhan. That was kind of strange to me . In my limited experience of hearing songs , I have seen certain popular krithis where from anu pallavi they start the song , especially in atana ragam . But hearing a Thaye Yashoda with the beginning line of Tayalai Pole Vandhu was definitely some thing I think may be Aruna should avoid . (Any experts can comment , I am willing to acknowledge if I am wrong ) . Unfortunately there was no neraval in the song(Neraval at times is definitely avoided which is very sad) and there was a quick Kalpana swaram . At the end there was quite a vottam atleast to me ofcourse crowd was applauding a lot. Tani followed with Mridangam being excellent .

Then she sang the lovely krithi Dhyaname Parama Pavana . Then started with 2 abhangs with her famous folk like song Maadu Maikkum in between .Maadu Maikkum song was like the film song Chinna Pappa en Chella Pappa (a very old song donot know the ragam though) . Sindhu Bhairavi was handled very well and a viruttam was short and fantastic .If she had sung a more elaborate viruttam or Dikshitar Krithi may be cutting one Abhang , I would have been happy.

Overall I certainly feel the concert was just good with some sections like Mohanam, Todi Alapani and Viruttam fantastic. Of course her Maadu Maikkum was fantastic for most of the audience especially small children , but for me I feel Carnatic Music is getting just a little filmi touch and roughly upto one third goes into that style little away from core carnatic to Abhangs and Tukkadas.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Review of the movie - Morning Raga- Written by me on Oct/Nov 2004
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw the movie because of the curiosity that I was put into, as I heard the movie is based on Carnatic Music . But the movie disappointed me a lot.
The movie theme was extremely weak with a lot of fusion laden Carnatic music dipped here and there . The story revolves around 3 individuals Shabhana Azmi (Vocalist), a hero (young son who is the son of a female vocalist who was a pakkavadyam artist to Shabhana Azmi)and heroine ,Perizaad Zorabian (who comes in Joggers park ) who is a daugher of a drunken father who rams the vehicle to a bus while crossing godavari river killing the violinist .

Shabhana Azmi vows after the accident not to sing and circumstances are created where the hero who is interested in becoming like AR Rehman and Perizaad learns carnatic music from Azmi . A truly hopeless story with screenplay being very poor

About Carnatic Music , I was late to the movie , so I am assuming I missed Pibare Ramarasam , Shabhana Azmi after years of not singing Carnatic sings Maha Ganapathim in Nattai , Perizaad is taught Carnatic by Azmi (cant remember the varnam and song). The climax ends with few lines of Thaye Yashoda . Female carnatic singers who render the songs were Bombay Jayashri and Sudha Ragunathan . I could also see Ranjani Gayathri and Ranjani Ramakrishnan being mentioned in the titles at the end . I am asssuming that was violin as there was some violin interludes played by hero and his troupe. Overall all the carnatic pieces starts with one line of sukha anubhuvam then bang- bang just like today's Tamil Film Music . No SHruthi , No Layam and becoming like a truly sensational noise .

I CAME OUT WITH A FEELING THAT CARNATIC MUSIC DOES NOT NEED THESE KIND OF OVER-PERSONIFIED UNPLEASING MOVIES WHICH EITHER GIVES A DISTORTION TO CARNATIC MUSIC OR POSSIBLY TAKE MORE PEOPLE TOWARDS FUSION . I CAME BACK HOME AND GOT MY SENSES AFTER LISTENING TO THAYE YASHODA BY MADURAI MANI IYER.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TM Krishna@Sastri Hall on 28 Novt 2004
------------------------------------------------
Accompanying Krishna were R k Shriram Kumar- Violin , Guruvayoor Dorai--- Mridangam , Suresh---Ghatam
The concert was followed after a brief function remembering Palghat Mani Iyer.

1. Started with Varnam vanajaksha - Kalyani - Veenai Kuppayer ?
2. Gurulekha Etuvanti (R)- Gowri Manohari- Thyagaraja
3. Sogasuga Mridanga - Shree Ranjani (RS) - Thyagaraja
4. Kamala- Aananda Bhairavai - Dikshitar
5. samukaana nilva - Kokilavarali - Thyagaraja
6. Dakshinamoothe(RNST) - Shankarabharanam - Dikshitar
7. The Krithi was like Javali starting with J- Kamaas -- ??
8. Thillana - Senchurutti-- Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar??
9. Mangalam

The concert started with a brisk varnam and then followed by a lovely gowri Manohari alapana , which was mistaken by me as Kharaharapriya. Gurulekha Etuventi followed where most of us identified as GowriManohari . Then a wonderful alapana in Shree Ranjani unfolded and set the stage to ecstasy. The Swaras were handled wonderfully but I personally felt he could have gone more with more swaram. Then Aananda Bhairavi was sung in a vilambakala style , very slow and moving. Then a quick wrap up of an aboorva Kokilavarali ragam .

The alapana of Shankarabharanam was fantastic. Good followup by RK Shriramkumar . Dakshinamoorthe was rendered with great bhavam , for me TM Krishna rendering Shankarabharanam especially the Neraval was so much similiar to Semangudi. Shankarabharanam Neraval was the best piece and the Swaras was very good. Felt he could have gone little more in Swaram . Then the tani followed was excellent . I especially liked the Ghatam more . OVerall Dakshinamoorthe lasted for 55 minutes with 15 minute alapana, 10 minute neraval , 6 minute swaram and 25 minute of Tani.

A lovely Krithi in Hindustani type of Kamaas was sung (can I call that as Mishra Kamaj). THe krithi started like "Jano ..." and appeared to me in Sanskrit . The finish was fantastic with a popular Tirana thom ta tirana in Senchurruti . OVerall very good concert ,absolutely no vottam.The best to me was Shankarabharanam Neraval,Shree ranjani alapana and Shankharabharanam alapana . On the other side for a 2 hour 10 minute concert a 25 minute Tani was over stretch . Anyway the day belonged to PMI, may be it was very apt.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

OST@BVB on 05 Dec 2004
--------------------------------
Accompanying OST were Delhi SOunderarajan- Violin , Karaikudi Mani--- Mridangam , Morsing -?????

1. Endukku Nirdaya Evarunnaru - Hari Kambhoji- Thyagaraja
2. Nee Vadane Ne Gana- Saaranga- Thyagaraja
3. Bhuvi Na Dasudane- Shree Ranjani(RS) - Thyagaraja
4. Rangam Srirangam- Khamaas ???- Surajananda ???
5. Eta Unara(RNST) - Kalyani - Thyagaraja
6. Slokam (very brief...) followed by Sagara Sayana Vibho Samagana- Bhageshri ??? -- Swati Tirunal ???
7. Lali Yugave - Neelambari -- Thyagaraja
8. Bhajare Yatu Natam -- Piloo -- ???

OST started with an excellent rendition of HariKambhoji kirthi and followed with a nice rendition of Saaranga krithi. The Shree Ranjani alapana was just Ok but the swara prastharam was wondeful.

The next krithi Rangam Srirangam was atleast to me oscillating between kambhoji and Khamaas . There was an extremely elaborate Kalyani Raga alapana followed by good followup by Delhi sounderarajan . Eta Unara was sung quite well , but however the neraval line "Shree Garuda Thyagaraja"was very mediocre .Swaram followup was not that elaborate . Elaborate Tani was done by Mani and a good followup by Morsing player

Slokam followed up and the Bhageshri piece was very good .Neelambari flowed wonderfully and the last bhajan was in the raagam Piloo was fantastic . Then the disapointment of a premature mangalam .

Overall I certainly feel the concert was just good . Totally 2 hours 20 minutes . The Kalyani alapana (25 mins) and Tani took another 20 minutes . The major dissapointment was the main piece where in the Neraval and Swaram of Kalyani was not proportionate with the Raga alapana and Tani(both were very good). Also OST being a senior musician , I was expecting to hear a more elaborate slokam/viruttam or a RTP(which I never heard from him, I must have been to atleat to 5 or 6 in the last 2 years, may be I am just unlucky) .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Dr Ganesh@BGS on 07 Dec 2004
--------------------------------------

Accompanying were M A Sundareswaran- Violin , Malekaveri Balaji--- Mridangam , Ghatam-?????
1. Vedattil Ulle ViNa Vidayumai Veetrirurupavane Vinayaga(neraval sketch and swaram) - Abhogi ??- ????
2. Gana Amudhaphanam- JyothiSwaroopini????- Kavi Kunjara Bharathi
3. Narada Gurusamy - Durbar(R) - Thyagaraja
4.Sambho Mahadeva Sambho (S)- Pantuvarali- Thyagaraja
5. Raa Raa rajeeva lochana(RNST) - Mohanam- Thyagaraja
6. Neerajadhala Nayana - Maand - Mannargudi Sambasiva bhaghavathar
7. Suttum Vizhi - Raagamaligai -- Bharathiyar
8. Thillana -- Basant Bahaar-- Maharajapuram Santhanam
9. Tunga Tira Viraham - Salaga Bhairavi ?? - Krishna dasar ???
10. Sai Bhajan
11. Mangalam

Ganesh started with an excellent rendition of the Abhogi krithi . The krithi with a good neraval sketch in the lines "Modaga Priyane" . I was wondering whether it was sreeranjani or Abhogi , but with the swaram I maded up my mind that it was Abhogi. Then a wonderful krithi Gana Amudhaphanam which I assume it was Nasikabhooshani only to educate myself later to find that as Jyothiswaroopini .

Wonderful Darbar alapana followed with a ok rendition of Naradha Gurusamy. The best was the Sambho Mahadeva with an outstanding Pantuvarali swaraprasthanam . The main piece alapana was rendered with excellent manodharmam and clarity , for the whole alapana it appeared as Mohanakalyani (not Mohanam). I was taken back when he rendered the mohanam krithi . However swaram and neraval was just good in Mohanam .

Then a complete wrap up just like his guru maand ,Bharathiyar krithi and his guru's outstanding thillana . Tunga Tira Viraham was rendered soulfully and he wrapped with a Sai Bhajan.The accompaniment of M A SUndareswaran was very good ,but the percussionist support was average .

Overall a very good concert by Dr Ganesh with traces of his guru Santhanam everywhere . Overall for me hearing the first 2 krithis for the very first time was a great experience that I cherish . But however at times his neck movement away from the mike and getting back to the front of mic was little frustrating , I hope he corrects that in future.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

R Suryaprakash@Vani Mahal on 11 Dec 2004

Accompanying were Akkarai Subbalakshmi- Violin , Malekaveri Balaji--- Mridangam , Ghatam-Trichy Murali

1. Brief Viruttam Beginnning "Karpaga Vinaya Kadavule" with the kiriti Gana Nathane (S) - Saaranga - Periyasamy Thooran
2. Paripalayamam - ReethiGowlai- Swati Tirunal
3. Manavyalakim (RS) - Nalinakanthi - Thyagaraja
4. Kana Vendamo- ShreeRanjani- Gopalakrishna Bharathi ???
5. Maruva Kari malini Shoolini - Maruva- Dikshitar
6. Chakkani Raja (RNST) - Kharaharapriuya - Thyagaraja
7. Neela Kantanae Dheera Karunakarane - ??? -- ???
8. Mangalam

Suryaprakash started with an excellent viruttam of Bharathi being Subramania bharathi's birth anniversary . A wonderful krithi unfolded in the Saaranga ragam setting the tempo of the concert . Reethigowlai was rendered with awesome ghamakam . Then Nalinakanthi raga neraval was good with a very good followup of Manavyalakim . The swara prasthanam was certainly in the same style as his Guru's guru MMI.

A quick teasing Kana Vendamo was rendered and the aboorva ragam of Maruva was rendered by him which I mistakenly thought was lalitha . Then a very elaborate Kharaharapriya raga sketch . The neraval in the usual lines Kantiki Sundara was just good , but however the swarams of this song was just outstanding . Then finally the last song looked like an abhang but was good .

Overall it was just 1 and 1/2 hours concert , but I certainly had more than satisfying experience . I have observed Suryaprakash about 3 to 4 times in the last 6 months , I always feel he is a very underrated performer in the sabha circuit.

IMHO ,Suryaprakash big plus points are that he does not sag during the concert ,he gives an experience to me as though I am listening to the illustrious madurai mani(ATLEAST VERY BRIEFLY) , very creative in selecting the song list and I certainly feel he would be a top artist in due course of time.Certainly feel he can get a 6 pm slot in sabhas then rather an afternoon slot .

About the pakkavadyam , violin was good and the mridangam play was more than good . I liked the way Balaji played for the chakkani raja. Ghatam was average.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TM Krishna@NGS on Dec 2004
---------------------------------------
Accompanying Krishna was Ramanujacharayulu- Violin ,Vellore Ramabhadran--- Mridangam

1. Started with Varnam Sarasija nabha ninnu?? - Kambhoji- ?
2. Chandram Bhaja (RS)- Asaveri- Dikshitar
3. Badalika Deera - Reetigowlai (R) - Thyagaraja
4. NeeVada NeeGAna- Saaranga - Thyagaraja
5. Bala Gopala (RNST) - Bhairavi - Dikshitar
6. Pahi Pahi Jagan Mohanakrishna- Naadanamakriya -- Naarayana Theerthar
7. Madubari Tala Venura - Khamas-- ??
8. Mangalam , beginning with Ramachandra -- Kurinji -- ???

I was little late to the concert and I heard the varnam only half way thru . Krishna settled for a slow Prayogam , wonderful Asaveri Krithi Chandram Bhaja. The Ghamakam with Dikshitar's Aksharam was immaculate and the swaram in Asaveri was rendered wonderfully and took the whole NGS crowd to a rapturous appalause ,(First time I am hearing an Asaveri Swaram, I have only heard a short krithi...)

Then Reetigowlai alapana was rendered very well. Then just I was expecting a popular krithi like Dwaitamu Sukhama or Janani Ninuvina , I heard for the first time Badalika Deera. Little dissapointed not to hear a swaram in reethigowlai .A quick wrap up in raga saaranga was very average.
The alapana of Bhairavi was fantastic. Average followup by Ramanujacharya . Bala Gopala was rendered with great bhavam but the Bhairavi Neraval and the Swara Prastaram was very good. Excellent support by VelloreRamabhadran especially during Bhairavi . Then the tani followed was very good. OVerall Balagopala lasted for 55 minutes with 15 minute alapana, 10 minute neraval , 10 minute swaram and 10 minute of Tani.

All the threee songs that followed were very good, especially the Nadanamakriya . Came out with a feeling of hearing a very good Bhairavi Neraval and Swaram , but easily the best for me was the lovely asaveri krithi and the swaram . Vellore Ramabhadran's gentle silken touch was always suiting the slow prayoga - manodharma rich krithis that Krishna rendered. I am always amazed with Vellore Ramabhadran's style where throughout the concert he never over bangs the mridangam.Also considering there was no other pakkavadyam support , Vellore Ramabhadran's stamina at his age is a great delight to watch (hopefully he teaches a lot of youngsters not to overbang mridangam...).

On the other side just felt krisha could have gone atleast another slokam or a RTP

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

rajeshnat wrote: 23 Feb 2017, 09:05 TM Krishna@NGS on Dec 2004
Accompanying Krishna was Ramanujacharayulu- Violin ,Vellore Ramabhadran--- Mridangam

I was little late to the concert and I heard the varnam only half way thru . Krishna settled for a slow Prayogam , wonderful Asaveri Krithi Chandram Bhaja. The Ghamakam with Dikshitar's Aksharam was immaculate and the swaram in Asaveri was rendered wonderfully and took the whole NGS crowd to a rapturous appalause ,(First time I am hearing an Asaveri Swaram, I have only heard a short krithi...)

Then Reetigowlai alapana was rendered very well. Then just I was expecting a popular krithi like Dwaitamu Sukhama or Janani Ninuvina , I heard for the first time Badalika Deera. Little dissapointed not to hear a swaram in reethigowlai .A quick wrap up in raga saaranga was very average.
The alapana of Bhairavi was fantastic. Average followup by Ramanujacharya . Bala Gopala was rendered with great bhavam but the Bhairavi Neraval and the Swara Prastaram was very good. Excellent support by VelloreRamabhadran especially during Bhairavi . Then the tani followed was very good. OVerall Balagopala lasted for 55 minutes with 15 minute alapana, 10 minute neraval , 10 minute swaram and 10 minute of Tani.

All the threee songs that followed were very good, especially the Nadanamakriya . Came out with a feeling of hearing a very good Bhairavi Neraval and Swaram , but easily the best for me was the lovely asaveri krithi and the swaram . Vellore Ramabhadran's gentle silken touch was always suiting the slow prayoga - manodharma rich krithis that Krishna rendered. I am always amazed with Vellore Ramabhadran's style where throughout the concert he never over bangs the mridangam.Also considering there was no other pakkavadyam support , Vellore Ramabhadran's stamina at his age is a great delight to watch (hopefully he teaches a lot of youngsters not to overbang mridangam...).

On the other side just felt krisha could have gone atleast another slokam or a RTP
https://youtu.be/eOnvycl_0ns - Asaveri
https://youtu.be/wXMXLG4jAc4 - Reetigowla

rajeshnat

Re: Concert Reviews and Other Important Posts that was Posted in sangeetham.com -2004 to 2006

Post by rajeshnat »

Aparna Balajee@Naada Inbam on Dec 17th,2004

1. ???
2. Mamavatu Sarasawati (S)- Hindolam- Vasudevacharya
3. Etula BrOtuvO - Chakravakham(R) - Thyagaraja
4. Aparadha Mulla- Lathangi (RN) - Patnam ???
5. Nadupai Palikeru - Madhyamavathi- Thyagaraja
6. Raga Sashi Vadana- ???-- Thyagaraja
7. Ekambrisha Nayaki(RNST) - Shanmughapriya ???-- Dikshitar
8. Karunai Deivame - Sindhu Bhairavi -- Sivan ???

Having known that Aparna Balajee is the daughter of OST, I wanted to listen to her . Overall she is ok ,she has got a good voice but felt her Neraval and Swarams were bit disconnected and not gripping . Also she taps so hardly the talam that it is very irritating at times . Lathangi was to me a mix of Saveri and Kalyani . She was accompanied by Deepa Ramachandran (sishya of Mullaivasal Chandramouli)in violin and Sankaranarayan in mridangam (disciple of Raja Rao). The violin was not upto the mark but the mridangam was good.

The highlight to me was the hindolam swaram and Shanmughapriya krithi (never heard of Dikshitar krithi in Shanmughapriya ).

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sanjay Subramanyam@MA on DEC 22,2004
======================================
Accompanied by Mysore Manjunath- Violin Mridangam -- Neyveli Venkatesh???
1.??? - Kanada??? -- ??
2.??? - Mohanam ??? -- ??
3.Kanchi Kamakshi- Todi ???- Shyamasastri
4. Sujana Jeevana (R)- Khamas- Thyagaraja
5.vElayyA dayavillaiyA enakkaruL sheyya manamillaiyA (RN)-Saaveri - Koteeswara Iyer
6. Chakkani Raja (RST)- Kharaharapriya- Thyagaraja
7.Vararagalaya- Senchukambodhi - Thyagaraja
8. RTP "Kaanakidaikumo Sabesan Dharisanam Kandal Kalitherumo" - Subhapantuvarali -
Swarams in Subhapantuvarali were followed in Kannada ??? + Atana + Sahana + Sindhubhairavi
9. Thillana - ???--- ???
10 Mukthi Alikkum Thiru- Kuntala Varali or Shenjurruti ???--- Gopalakrishna Bharathi
11. Mangalam
I just entered to hear the third todi krithi I guess of Shyama Sastri . Wonderful raga alapana of Khamas followed and a great soulful rendition of a pure Sujana jeevana followed . The next piece alapana was very good and the song was fantastic . However the neraval was quite short that too considering Sanjay did not have any more neravals in the concert . Kharaharapriya raga alapana was very good , but there was a dissapointment as there was no neraval in chakkani Raja. The swara prastharam in Kharaharapriya was only good in the last stage , followed by an average tani

Ofcourse after vararagalaya , yesterday's clearly the best piece was the RTP . Subbapanthuvarali raga alapanai was grand (12 mins)but the Tanam was outstanding (8 mins) . The ragamaliga swarams ((close to 20 mins)was very good especially the Sahana and Sindubhairavi . I could not recognize the tillana ragam but was rendered very well . The last GB krithi was wonderful and gave a good finish to the 2 1/2 hour concert .

I am always amazed hearing Sanjay singing RTP (especially Tanam is outstanding) and Viruttams . Also raga alapana is always ranging from good to very good. But on the negative side (hearing him for atleast 6 to 8 concerts in the last 3 years ) , Sanjay does not give an elaborate neraval and swara prastharam treatment especially to the main krithi that he is singing . Also a good thing about Sanjay over the period of few concerts that he does not lift up his neck away from the mike which he used to do too often few years before.

Mysore Manjunath violin was ok till kharaharapriya , but picked up well with Tanam . Mridangam accompaniment was average sometimes lacking the pause that is needed .

p.s 1 and 2 , I heard that it was a Kanada varnam and mohanam krithi . Also if some one can fill up tillana ragam and confirm the Mukthi ALikkum ragam that would be great.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I remember this concert very well. Not only was the support of VR memorable, but that alapana and the neraval in Bala Gopala was just amazing, especially the final round. It might have also been the first time I heard asAvEri in a live concert, with swarams added. The pAhi pAhi jagan mOhana krshNA was beautiful. Somehow after all these years some concerts stick out in memory.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

SrinathK wrote: 27 Feb 2017, 18:30
I remember this concert very well....Somehow after all these years some concerts stick out in memory.
Sure; perhaps it is the fact that it was released as a commercial recording by Charsur (or made available for listening) that did not stick out in memory. :lol:

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

@Vocalist, I attended that one live. And no, I didn't realize it was released commercially. Thank you.

Ah, those were the days were you had to squeeze in your preparations for the half yearly exams while trying hard not to miss your favourite artistes...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TN Seshagopalan@Narada Gana Sabha on DEC 24,2004
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accompanied by VV Ravi- Violin Mridangam -- Vellore Ramabadhran Ganjira-- Neyveli Venkatesh

1.Vanajakshi Ero - Kalyani -- Poonchi ?????
2.eevasudAni vanti dhaivamo (S) - Sahana --Thyagaraja
3.Sadbhaktiyu galaya chesi (RNS)- Aananda Bhairvi- Poochi
4.Bhagayaneyya (NS)- Chandrajyothi- Thyagaraja
5.SriRajagopala (RNST)-Saaveri - Dikshitar
6.Tiruppavai ending with Thoomadhi Madathu Sutrum- Hamir Kalyani - Andal???
7.Tumaja Yeja Mane (Bhajan???)- Piloo???? - ???
8. Viruttam starting with "Aanirai Mei kavi" - Shankarabharanam + Subhapantuvarali ??? + Bhageshri + Hamsanandi + Maand
9. BegaBaro - Maand --- ???
10 Thillana - ???- ????
11. Mangalam

TNS started with a scratchy voice with a kalyani varnam . Having accustomed with his voice problems , his voice picked up and he sang a wonderful Sahana krithi with very good Sahana swaram. Then an elaborate Vilambakala style - slow prayogam Aananda Bhairavi followed with a good followup by Ravi in violin . Just as I was tossing whether it would be a well known krithi like Ojegadamba or Mariveri , TNS surprised with Poochi Krithi which I have never heard . The Neraval is in the line "Bhanukoti chankasha Bhava Bandamu" . He sang the swarams in both speed for the aananda bhairavi. Then an often extinct Chandrajyothi was sung which was good .

Just when I was anticipating that his voice problems was over , when TNS started with Saaveri , his voice cracked too often. Still he managed an OK Saaveri Krithi ,also there was quite a slip of Sruthi in Saveri which slowly worried me. Neraval was just good but the rest of saaveri krithi was not good . Tani followed and was just ok . Too feeble play by Vellore Ramabadran and the Kanjira player totally dissapointed .

Tiruppavai in Hamirkalyani was just good and the Tumaja Yeja Mane Bhajan was not ok . Viruttam in four ragams was definitely more than good but again the Bega Baro finish was just ok(deviation from Shruthi) . Thillana was too fast and I could not get the ragam , except at the end it was like Sindhu Bhairavi, felt he could have avoided altogether.

Also all the accompaniments were playing plain , not much to cherish. Overall TNS(even though one of my favourite) had a dull concert today .But on the positive side ,as always TNS is an encyclopedia , he always teaches me either a new krithi or sings a rare ragam . For me hearing the Aananda Bhairavi Krithi by Poochi was always a new experience and also hearing Chandrajyothi was good to refresh the cornucopia of ragams in carnatic music .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

R Suryaprakash @Music Academy on Dec 25,2004

Accompanied by Satish Kumar- Violin Mannarkoil Balaji- Mridangam and Madipakkam Murali- Ghatam.The Kirthanais that he rendered are
1. Varnam- Pantuvarali ???? - ??
2. Orajoopuchu- KannadaGowlai- Thyagaraja
3. Narasimha Mamava(R,S)- Aarabi - Swati Tirunal
4. Rama Rama Kali- Rama Kali -Dikshitar
5. Intha Sowkya (RST)- Kaapi -Thyagaraja
6. RTP "....Hare Krishna"- Shankarabharanam with swarams in Shankarabharanam + Nayaki + Behag -?????
7. Chidambara Natha - Hemavathi - ????
8. Karthikeya - Valaci - ???
9. Viruttam "Manam Kulira ....Isai Kuyil Varuvaro "-- Pantuvarali + Mohanam + +Dhanyasi + Jonpuri - From the film Shakunthalai???
10. Eppo Varuvaro - Jonpuri - Gopalakrishna Bharathi
11.Mangalam

Went late to hear the ending phrase of Orajoopuchu. A very neat Aarabi alapana unfolded with a nice rendering of the swati tirunal krithi with a good swaram . An aboorva ramakali raagam (hearing for the first time) followed . The ramakali sounded definitely hindustani was little like Basant Bahaar to me (Can someone throw some light about ramakali ??? , I see that this ragam is janya of mayamalavagowlai).

Then MMI style Intha Sowkhya followed . Excellent manodharmam exhibited in the swarams for Kaapi . Good followup by the young violinist in the swarams.His RTP in Shankarabharanam and the pallavi line ended with Harekrishna .Tanam was quite impressive . The swarams in RTP in the raagam Nayaki and Behag was wonderful , but however returning from Behag back to Shankarabharanam did not show that much contrast . Would have been happy if he had taken one more contrasting raga for swarams in RTP and then come back to Sankarabharanam.

Hemavathi and Valaci was gripping , but definitely the dedication to MS Amma with the beginning line Manam Kulira in the film Shankunthalai was excellent. Especially singing the line " Isai Kuyil Varuvaro " in the ragams Dhanyasi(was outstanding) and Jonpuri was a fitting tribute to the immortal MS. Customary MMI finish Of EppoVaruvaro followed . Overall 2 hour concert was very good , especially the viruttam and the sarvalaghu style kaapi swaram, and hearing an apoorva Dikshitar masterpiece in the ragam ramakali.

Support of Violin by the young chap was just good in Kaapi Main piece , but picked up very well in Shankarabharanam . Mridangam/Ghatam could have been better , especially found it inadequate during Kaapi swara prastharam.Certainly Rasikas of mmi/tvs should watch out for R Suryaprakash, for his versatile choices and sarvalaghu style of swarams.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

This post is what I wrote as the ending post for Year 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I attended the following in this music season.I would note rate them m as each of them have their plus and minus

1.Sudha Raghunathan in MFAC (very memorable, especially the RTP in 6 bhairavis.)
2.TMKrishna@NGS (Very Memorable Asaveri of Chandram Bhaja)
3.Sanjay@MA (Memorable Tanam of his RTP in Subhapantuvarali)
4.Aruna Sairam @ MA (Very good Mohanam ,though not very memorable)
5.Suryaprakash R@ MA (very memorable RTP and InthaSowkhya in Kaapi)
6.Sikkil Gurucharan@MFAC (very memorable Kiravani of Kaliyuga)
7.TNS@NGS (not that great at all,though he is always my favourite, I wish I had a chance to hear him more than once)
8.TVS@NGS (memorable Sarasasama dhana in kapi narayani)
9.Dr Ganesh@BGS (memorable Sambho mahadeva in Pantuvarli )
10.Aparna Balajee (not that great , but a fairly good shanmughapriya)
11. OST@BVB (good slokam in bhagesri)

Perhaps ,the best I cherish is that I got introduced as a rasika to some very good performers like Suryaprakash (in particular) and got a good orientation of Sikkil gurucharan who I feel has got tremendous potential.

On the awareness/ knowledge front.
Heard few aboorva ragams like <b>Ramakali ragam</b> krithi in Dikshitar and <b> Maruva ragam </b> krithi in Dikshitar (courtesy of Suryaprakash) and Jyothiswaroopini Ragam krithi by Koteeswara Iyer(courtesy Dr Ganeesh) .

Overall, this season was little minus when compared to last year,I see growing canteen distractions and mobile interference picking up more .

OPINION INVITED ON A HUMBLE SUGGESTION???
--------------------------------------------------------------

SINCE SOME OF US LIKE ME WORK , IT WOULD MAKE SENSE TO HAVE A CONCERT starting at 9 pm and ending at 11 to 12 pm . This way more rasikas will work , can go home , have dinner and most importantly beat the traffic jams and can alleviate parking constraints . I am sure this may not be welcome by all , just feel that beating traffic and attending concert is a big strain for coming to concert . DO you think musicians and organizers will consider this good idea???

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

happy newyear 2005 for sangeetham.com rasikas :P

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TM Krishna@Sastri Hall on 24 Feb 2005
--------------------------------------------------

Organized by PSN disciples
Accompanying Krishna were ???- Violin , Arun Prakash--- Mridangam , ?????---Ghatam
The concert was followed after felicitating vocalist BV Raman .

1. Sri Narada Naada - Kaanada- Thyagaraja
2. Vaa Muruga Vaa (R)- Begada- Spencer Venugopal ????
3. ElivataaRama (RNS) - Mukhaari - Thyagaraja
4. Makelera Vicharamu- Ravi Chandrika- Thyagaraja
5. Endukku Dayarudhura (RST) - Todi - Thyagaraja
6. Itu Saahasamula - Saindhavi - Thyagaraja
7. Kaana Vendamo - ShreeRanjani -- Papanasam Sivan
8. Oruthi Maganai Pirandhu - Behag -- Andal Tiruppavai ???
9. Mangalam

The concert started with an excellent rendition of Kaanada , followed by a fairly elaborate Begada Alapanai. An average Vaa Muruga vaa followed . The best piece to me was TMK's handling of Mukhaari in his vilambakala style . Mukhaari brimmed with great bhava with a wonderful swaram .The fast Makelera followed .Todi alapanai was unfolded very well , but however the krithi was not upto usual TMK's Todi standard .Consipicous was absence of Neraval in Todi, and also the swara prasthanams was more fast and did not very much match the alapanai elaboration . Tani followed ,ghatam was good but definitely Arun Prakash Mridangam support was not upto the mark inclusive of Tani.

Krishna wrapped up with a fairly unknown Saindhavi (hearing for the first time). Sree Ranjani krithi was rendered in a very slow fashion. Behag followed just indicating whether could that be a last song .Just as Cindrella disappearing @ 12 , Mangalam unfolded at 9pm . OVerall concert lasted less than 90 minutes with 10 minute Tani. The highlight was me hearing an unknown Sandhavi and a lovely Mukhaari.Felt TMK could have elaborated with atleast 3 more krithis.

The concert was preceded by talk which certainly ate the concert time . VV Sundaram , Srimushnam Raja Rao and one person who claimed to be descendent of Kavi Kunjara Bharathi stretched a lot . BV Raman Sir did not speak that long and PSN sir was very sweet not to talk much.

Overall dissapointed with less than 90 minute concert !! May be it was just an exhibition concert I donot know.Carnatic music needs a lot more time for elaboration.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sikkil Gurucharan@Asthika Samajam,thiruvanmiyur on 03 Mar 2005
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Held not in the usual kalyana mandapam opp thiruvnamiyur tank , but in a hall (closer to that) - Mar 24 ,2017 update

Accompanying Gurucharan were Nagai Sriram- Violin , Srimushnam Raja Rao--- Mridangam .The songs that Gurucharan rendered were

1. Varnam(Ninnu Kori) - Vasanta - ?????
2. Gana Nayakam Bhajeham (RS)- Rudrapriya/Poornashadjam - Dikshitar
3. Parvati Kumaram (RS)- NattaiKurinji - Dikshitar
4. Naadharu Santhanan - Vaagadeeshwari - Koteeswara Iyer
5. Kalyaana Rama (RS)- Hamsanaadam - Oothukadu
6. Eppadi Manam Thunindhadho (S) - Huseni - ???
7. Nilavati Sukhada - Ravi Chandrika- Thyagaraja
8. Chakkani Raja (RNST) - Kharaharapriya -- Thyagaraja
9. Karpooram Narumo - Khamas - Nachiar Thirumozhi
10.Sundaraganuthe - Jonpuri - ???
11. Tillana - Behag - ???

Great concerts always starts excellently, this was no exception , the vasanta varnam set the flow quite well, but the Gana Nayakam Bhajeham was very good, though during alapana I was mistaken as Kharaharapriya. The nattaikurinji raga alapana was excellent and the krithi swaram was short and crisp .As a listener the Vaagadeeshwari ragam was new to me and was nice.

The best to me was the next 2 krithis.The Hamsanaadam alapana and swaram was outstanding and Oothukadu's krithi was a quite a revelation to me than the usual Bantureeti . Then Gurucharan soaked himself with wonderful Bhavam in Huseni Raagam . Personally hearing this Huseni krithi for the first time ,it is just lovely as it always settles somewhere in between Bhairavi and Mukhaari , and makes you to keep on guessing whether it is Mukhari or Bhairavi or Huseni,though I luckily settled myself to Huseni.

The usual fast song preceding the main krithi in Ravicandrika was very good . The Kharaharapriya alapana was lovely but the Neraval in Chakkani Raja was not as elaborate as what this great piece has usually accustomed the listener . Gurucharan kalpanaswarams in Kharaharapriya was excellent .The khamas was nice but however the last 2 two was not that great especially the Behag tillana .

Having watched Nagai Sriram for close to 2 years , like Gurucharan he is certainly star on the rise . Wonderful followup everywhere especially in Chakkani Raja. Raja Rao certainly added his manodharmam everywhere and certainly took the concert to great heights . Raja Rao's sensitve fingering in Nattaikurinji and Huseni was very memorable , but his Tani was just good (certainly heard a better one).

Overall an excellent 2 and 1/2 hours concert by Gurucharan! Hearing him for the second time ,it looks like his notable strength <u>is not </u> rushing his concert too fastly towards Tukkadas, but always giving a wholesome carnatic concert experience.

rajeshnat

Re: Concert Reviews and Other Important Posts that was Posted in sangeetham.com -2004 to 2006

Post by rajeshnat »

R Suryprakash@Sastri Hall on 10 Mar 2005
Accompanying were MA Sundareswaran- Violin , Tiruvarur Bhaktavatsalam--- Mridangam , Kanjira-Trivandrum Rajagopal ???

1. Varnam Sami Ne Kori Ke ??? - Pantuvarali ??? - ???
2. Nada tanumanisham(S) - Cittaranjani - Thyagaraja
3. Ehi Trijagadeesha (R) - Saaranga- Thyagaraja
4. Pavi Pulayil Indha Ooril Vandhu Endan - Todi- ???
5. Sarasa Sama dana (RNS) - KaapiNarayani- Thyagaraja
6. Neela Mela Gathram - Gopikavasantham - Dikshitar
7. Kaana Kan Koti (RNST) - Kambhodhi - Papanasam Sivan
8. Kaana Vendamo - Shree Ranjani - Papanasam Sivan
9. Neela Kantanae Dheera Karunakarane - Yaman / Yamuna Kalyani ??? -- ???
10.Kodayile Ooraginra (Viruttam) - Pantuvarali + Bilahari + Kaapi + Neelambari + Madhyamavathi + Bhimplas -- ???
11.Maname Kaanamum Maravathe -- Bhimplas -- Papanasam Sivan ???
12.Maaye - Tharangini - Dikshitar
13.Mangalam

Suryaprakash started with an excellent varnam , which was quite close to Pantuvarali. Traces of MMI flashed when he rendered Naada Thanumanisham. Swaram was crisp and excellent. Then the Saaranga krithi was not that good . Todi was nice but certainly alapana in KaapiNarayani was refreshing . Again the Neraval (Ithavum Matu) and swara prasthanam was certainly in the same style as his Guru's guru MMI,

An aboorva Gopikavasantham was nice but certainly the main piece Kambodhi was just good .Partly because of excessive percussion sound by Bhaktavatsalam .It was difficult to appreciate Suryaprakash in Kambodhi. The Shree Ranjani was nice and The Neela Kantanae was a nice Thukkada .

His popular viruttam in raagamaliga was oujtstanding particularly Pantuvarali ,Kaapi and Bhimplas . His finish in Maname in Bhimplas and Maaye in Tarangini was very nice.

Violin was more than good , but certainly Bhaktavatsalam Tani and Kanjira was always excessive sound that disturbed the sowkhyam that one always expects in a Carnatic concert . Particularly with my high expectation of Bhaktavatsalam (like him a lot especially when he had played for Maharajapuram) , I at times felt he was playing a tavil than a miridangam , especailly during tani and Kambodhi main piece.

Overall just a good concert , hearing a alapana in Kaapi Narayani and Gopikavasantham was a new experience .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sanjay Subrahmanyan@Sringeri Temple on April 08th ,2005
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Varadarajan - Violin
Tanjavur Ramadas - mrudangam

mAmava sadA janani - kAnaDA - rUpakam - ST (RNS)
ninnADa nela - kannaDA - Adi - T (RS)
kAru bAru - mukhAri - Adi - T (R)
nItu mahima - hamsAnandi - Adi - HMB (RS)
edu Ta nilicitE - sankarAbaraNam - Adi - T (RNS)
taniyAvardanam
jAnaki pathE - kharaharapriya - Adi (preceeded by a slokam 'janaki rAmA...')
kaNDu danyanAdE - bEhAg - rUpakam - kamalEsha viTTala (R)
nI ninaindhAl AgAdathu - darbAri kAnaDa - Adi
nI nAma rUpamulakku

KAnada was a flashing start , but certainly mukhari alapanai and Hamsanandi swaram and alapanai was the best . Personally Shankarabharanam alapanai and krithi was just ok, and the swarams were just good.Post Tani liked the Darbari KaNada viruttam a lot, felt Sanjay could have sang more ragams in the viruttam. Tanjavur Ramadas and Varadarajan was just ok,felt the support was not that great . Heard lot of new krithis(all the post tani krithis) and kAru bAru in Mukhari which was a soul filled rendition.

Overall a good concert, just felt the organizers or Sanjay could have atleast extended till 9 pm instead of sharp 8:45pm Pavamana and stretched the viruttam with few more ragams, but his outstanding mukhari still rings in my ears .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Nisha Rajagopal@ RagaSudha on April 24th,2005
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Accompanied by Hemamalini - Violin ,Ranganathan- Mridangam and Rajagopal- Kanjira.The Kirthanais that she rendered was

1. Sarasoodai (Varnam) - Saaveri - Patnam Subramanya Iyer
2. Swaaminatha Paripalaya(S) - Nattai - Dikshitar
3. Yeh Papamu Jesite Rama (R)- Atana - Thyagaraja
4. Raama Ikanannu Brova (RS)- Sahaana - Patnam Subramanya Iyer
5. Emani PogaDuduraa- Varunapriyaa/Veeravasantam-Thyagaraja
6. Needu Charanaule Rama (RS)-- Simmhendramadhyamam- Thyagaraja
7. mAkElarA vicAramu - Ravichandrika - Thyagaraja
8. koluvamare gada (RNST) - Todi - Thyagaraja
9. Raamanai Ninaithu Namamai Sollida-- Jonpuri - Appadurai
10. Nanati Baduku -- Revati - Annamacharya
10. Mangalam

Nisha started with the popular saaveri varnam , and her voice really adjusted with a crisp swarams in Nattai .
The rare Atana followed which was just average . Her Sahana alapanai did sound atleast to me more like Devagandhari (could be my ignorance), but from the violinist reply appeared completely as Sahana .The swarams in sahaana were lovely . The Varunapriya was good, but the best came next . Nisha's simhendra madhyamam alapana was excellent and her swarams in this rare krithi was just very good . MakelarA was good and I liked her Todi alapana. Felt Nisha could have given a better neraval in the lines chikkuni gunamula as I felt Todi could have been more elaborated . The swarams was nice .

After a brief talk by SVK , the concert had a great finish. Jonpuri was outstanding and the composer Appadurai (if I had got it right) was in the audience . Revati gave a good finish to the concert . Overall hearing Nisha for the second time , this was very good concert with memorable Simhendramadhyamam and jonpuri krithi with the composer in the audience. The accompaniments were just good , neither obtrusive nor taking the concert to a greater level.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

R Suryaprakash@Sastri Hall on 08 July 2005
----------------------------------------------------------

Accompanying were Kumbakonam MR Gopinath - Violin , Guruvayur Durai-- Mridangam ,
Ghatam -Rajagopal

1. Varnam ??? - KedaaraGowlai - ???
2. Tatvamariya Tharama - ReethiGowlai - Papanasam Sivan
3. Paridanammichitte (RNS) - Bilahari - Thyagaraja
4. Sri Sathyanarayanam(RS) - Subhapantuvarali - Dikshitar
5. Kani Karum Gunanee - Kaantamani- Dr Srivastava
6. Koluvaiyunnade (RST) - Bhairavi - Thyagaraja
7. Chidambaram Natha Tiruvarul tha tha - Hemavati - ???
8. RTP "Sarasa Dala Nayana Harekrishna" - Kedaraagowlai + (swarams in Behaag + Darbari Kanada + Kedaragowlai)- ???
9. Madurai Arasalum Meenakshi - Darbari Kanada + ??? -- ???
10.Note - Sankharabharanam -- HMB
11.Mangalam

I was late and missed the first two . Bilahari Alapanai and Neraval was very good , but could not hear the swarams in Bilahari as I had to leave the hall for few minutes . Subhapantuvarali raga alapana was good filled with pathos and as expected Sri Sathyanarayanam followed . The swarams were nice too .

An aboorva raagam Kaantamani krithi by Dr Srivastava was sung by him which was good . Bhairavi alapanai was presented in a very leisurely fashion and progressively picked up speed . Felt Suryaprakash could have sang even the Neraval but his swara prastharam was excellent . Flashes of MMI appearing at most times . A fairly racy hemavati was nice too .

But the icing in the cake was his wonderful RTP in Kedaragowlai . Raagam Kedaragowlai and Suryaprakash open throated way of singing went very well . For me hearing this Sarasa dala nayana was my first live experience , having only heard a vintage recording of SSI . Taanam was very good but the swara ragamaligai was a downpour with MMI touch every where . Even though he took only Behaag , Darbari Kanada and Kedaragowlai for swaram each was sung for atleast 4 to 5 minutes . Outstanding RTP , it still lingers .

After a brief and interesting speech by DR Srivastava ,Suryprakash took up a very good Tukkada "Madurai Arasalum Meenakshi" which was not just a filler towards mangalam . I heard this tukkada for the first time and the tukkada lines had lyrics like Place of workship - Goddess name (like Anaikaval -Akhilandeshwari, Thiruverkadu - KarumariAmman). Darbari Kanada though repetitive after RTP, but certainly went very well with the song . Also had a ragam like Sindhu Bhairavi in this tukkada .Popular MMI note was sung and Mangalam followed .

As described by Dr Srivastava ,Violinist MR Gopinath was very good , always sticking within the clear raagam boundary,never overdoing and had flashes of brilliance in Kedaaragowlai , Bhairavi and Subhapantuvarali . The Ghatam artist was good not appearing as a sideman to Mridangam . The Mridangist was just average to good till Bhairavi , but was very good from Tani onwards .

Overall a great 3 hour concert .50 minute RTP and the tukkada "Madurai Arasalum" is very memorable. Also nice to get educated about Kaantamani .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Malladi Brothers@Egmore on 09 July 2005
------------------------------------------------------
Accompanying were VL Kumar- Violin , Vellore Ramabadhran-- Mridangam ,
Ghatam -SV Ramani

Having never heard the brothers a live concert , this was my first experience of hearing them live. The krithis they rendered were

1. Erana Neepai(Varnam) - Todi - PSI ??
2. NaadaSudha RasamBilanu (RS) - Aarabhi - Thyagaraja
3. AmbaParadevate (RS) - Rudrapriya - Thanjavur Krishnaswamy
4. Kanni Todi Deve Channi ???? - HariKambodhi ??? - Thyagaraja???
5. Raama Mindhi Vaa Shyamam(RNS) - Poorvikalyani- Annamacharya
6. Kripa Joochudu Kuvelera - Chayatarangini- Thyagaraja
7. Karpagambike Amba kadaikkan - Bilahari - Papanasam Sivan
8. Upacharamoolanu (RNST) - Bhairavi - Thyagaraja
9. Santhana Gopala Krishnam - Kamaas -- Dikshitar
10.Slokam "Santhakaram Bhujaga Sayanam" - HamirKalyaani
11.Followed by Swari Sosarvada Hariya ??? - Hamirkalyaani - Purundaradaasar
12.Paluketa Neladalli Pavalinchamu ???? - Abheri ?? - Annamacharya ???
13.Sarvam Brahmammayam - Madhuvanti -- ???
14.Adinadula ??? - Surutti -- ???

The brothers started with a brief Alapana and as expected popular Todi Varnam of Erana Neepai followed . Todi set the tempo of the concert quite well. The Taller Brother sang a very nice Aarabhi alapanai . The swarams were neatly exchanged and was quite good . The popular Amba Paradevate was sung with correct pace and was a delight . The next krithi which I am assuming it is Harikambodhi was also little like Suddasaveri but overall was very mediocre

The best followed was the elaborate Poorvikalyani , the Not tall brother took up the raga alapaanai and was wonderful. The Neraval in the lines "Swetha Vanitha Samatam" was beautiful and both brothers gave an outstanding Neraval and Swaram . Also hearing for the first time,this Annamacharya krithi was a special treat to me .

Chayataringini was quite fast paced and the Bilahari was a tamil filler to this concert . Bhairavi raga alapanai was taken up very well , the pallavi and Neraval was fantastic . However the swara prasthanam was just average in the first half , but however did turn out very well towards the later half.

Hamir Kalyani Slokham was average , felt he could have gone with more ragams in this slokham . Abheri was good but their famous Sarvam Brahmamayam was excellent . The finish in Surutti could have been better.

Overall both brothers synchronize well and it is not that one brother is just merely supporting another . The taller brother has more higher pitch and the other was having a more lower pitch. The venue had big speakers and also had an echoing effect and was quite upsetting all of us .But irrespective of whether it is a small hall or Narada GanaSabha / Music Academy , looks like the brothers can acclimitize to the situation and bring more sukha anubhavam by singing in a controlled pitch when they both sing in a higher pitch (I may be wrong , but just a humble opinion).

Vellore Ramabhadran was very good , Violin and Ghatam was average . Tani was just good . Overall came out with an impression that the brothers are very good and can always learn fairly hear new krithis especially of Annamacharyas

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Master Balamuralikrishna@Egmore on July 16,2005
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Accompanying BMK Jr were violin - Charumathi R ???? Mridangam - Trivandrum Balaji

A very established vocalist once said that Master BMK is a guy to watch among the youngsters , certainly he was. The krithis that he rendered were

1. VanajAkshi Ne(Varnam) - ReethiGowlai - VeenaKuppier
2. gaNaRAjena Rakshitoham (RS) - Aarabhi - Dikshitar
3. Lekena Ninnu - Asaveri- Thyagaraja
4. Cede Buddhi Manura(RS) - Athaana- Thyagaraja
5. Shankari Shamguru(RNS) - Saaveri- ShyamaSastri
6. Sree Parthasarathee Naa (S) - SuddaDhanyasi - Dikshitar
7. KsheerasAgara SayanA - Devagaandhari - Thyagaraja
8. Sreekantha Nee - Bhavapriya- Thyagaraja
9. Pahi Jagajanani(RNST) - Vachaspathi -- SwaatiTirunal
10.Sammayamiddhe RArA Swaami - Behag - ???
11.Tillana (Deem Da Deem Da Thirana, had lines like Thirumamayilai)- Surutti - ??

Without knowing anything about Master BMK , certainly went to hear his concert for the first time . BMK started with an excellent alapanai in Reetigowlai and gave a flying start to his concert. A well rendered Aarabhi followed and heard this apoorva dikshitar krithi for the first time . His voice was well settled and the swarams in Aarabhi were very nice . This was followed with Asaveri Krithi which was just good . The Atana Swarams were fantastic . The Saaveri alapanai was lovely and his voice strength was abundant . Neraval in the lines "SaamaKrishna Sodhari Samalesha Sodhari" and swarams was very mature and saveri notes were everywhere with no slippage and dull moment.He just gave me a first impression that he should be coming with an illustrious SSI lineage

The Sudda Dhanyasi krithi (which I almost forgot) was little shade below average , but when he started with a devagandhaari in a vilambakala style , I was more sure that he was connected with SSI in a big way. Reminisces of SSI flashed again with him when he sang a fast paced Bhavapriya .

The main krithi was in Vaachaspathi which is certainly my first experience as a main krithi, having heard only more popular Kanta Joodumi krithi as filler . The raaga alapanai was close to 20 minutes and certainly could guess that it was very close to Kalyaani but not Kalyaani . The Neraval in the lines "Mohana Daregatri Muni Samudaya" in this Krithi was presented beautifully by this lad . The Swarams were also very good and was not rushed at all. Also moving to Prathi Madhyamam as a main krithi did make the concert more complete.

BMK wrapped with a Behag krithi and a Surutti tillana , both were average. Later I came to know that he is a sishya of PSN and certainly is a torch bearer of SSI tradition . On a sidenote , his mannerisms in stage were like TM Krishna . Overall BMK is just 20 years , but his voice breadth is simply too good. He effortlessly goes up and his voice does not appear like a teenager . Came out with a feeling that this lad is going to make it big soon, ofcourse with his guru's (PSN) guidance and guru's guru(SSI) blessing .

The Violinist , a very young girl played good(Saaveri was very good) and the Mridangist playing was just good .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Maharajapuram Ramachandran@VaniMahal on 23 July 2005
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accompanying were M R Gopinath- Violin , Tiruvarur Vaidhyanathan -- Mridangam ,

1. Neram Nammithi- Kanada - Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar??
2. Vinayaka Vinayaka (S) - Aarabhi - Sachidananda ???
3. Anudinamulanu (RNS) -Begada - Thanjavur Krishnaswamy
4. Nee daan meccikoLLavEnDum(RS) - SriRanjani- Oothukadu
5. AanandAm amrithavarshini(RN) - Amrithavarshini- Dikshitar
6. Bhogendra Sayinam - KuntalavarAli- Swati Tirunal
7. Mohana Rama (RST) - Mohanam- Thyagaraja
8. Nalinakanthi Mathim - Raagamaligai - Madurai Krishnaswamy
9. Brief Slokham "Sree Ramachandra" - ??-- ???
10.Followed by Raamam Bhaje Shyamam Manasa - ???- ???
11.Brief Viruttam in the lines "Kuzhal Osai" - Madhyamavathi -- Yazhpaanam Veeramani ???
13.Aadadu Asaiyadhu - Madhyamavathi -- Oothukadu
14.Mangalam

Ramachandran started like his father a famous kanada raagam varnam which was just good, but definitely the Vinayaka krithi in the pancha ratna ragas were fantastic .His voice mellowing during the 5 swarams was very nice . A heavy Begada raagam was executed quite well and the neraval in the lines "Kanakana Ruchi" was very soothing. Swarams were just good in begada . Felt he sensed the audience like his father and took up Sriranjani. The alapana was excellent and the krithi nee daan meccikoLLavEnDum was grand. In particular when he started the swarams he started like Ma Ni Da "Nee Daan MecciKollavEnDum" implying Manidha was wonderful.

Perhaps the best piece was his raga alapanai in the raagam Amrithavarshini. His base voice was so much in line with this raagam and I was really moved by his rendering . Particularly after taking the master piece of Dikshitar , the Neraval in the lines "Sree Guruguha Janani" was out of the world . Took up a good filler in Kuntala varali .

Mohanam raga maligai was very good , the swarams were just good in Mohanam. The mega ragamaligai Nalinakanthi Mathim was outstanding all the way from the first Nalinakanthi raagam to the 14th Nayaaki Raagam . There was a brief slokham in the lines "Sree Ramachandra" and took up a short filler Raamam Bhaje Shyamam Manasa .Ramachandran took up a brief Viruttam in the lines "Kuzhal osai",which I was told quite long time ago that his dad Santhanam had tuned the lines of Yaazhpanam Veeramani (IIRC) and ended with the popular Madhyamavathi Krithi Aadadu Asaiyadhu.

The Violinist was very good particularly in SriRanjani and Mohanam . The percussionist was giving an excellent support .His rolling of his right hand did elevate the concert of Ramachandran , however his Tani was just good .Overall a great 2hours and 45 minute concert .Always like the pisuru illatha base voice of Maharajapuram Ramachandran.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TV Ramprasadh@VaniMahal on 23 July 2005
---------------------------------------------------------
Accompanying were ??- Violin , KV Prasad-- Mridangam ,?? - Kanjira

1. Sreeragam Varnam ???
2. Janaki Ramana - Sudda Seemanthini - Thyagaraja
3. SriSami Vagadeeshwaram ??? (R)- Devagandhaari - Dikshitar
4. Ananda NadanamAduvar Tillai (RS) -Poorvikalyani- Neelakantha Sivan
5. Amba Kamakshi - YadukulaKambodhi - ShyamaSastri
6. Nera Nunchi Nannu(S) - Maalavi- Thyagaraja
7. Kaligiyunte(RNST) - Keeravani - Thyagaraja
8. Krishna Nee Begane Baro - Yamuna Kalyaani ??? - ???
9. Tillana "DirAna thomtha dirAna" - Senchurutti- ???
10.Mangalam Jayamangalam - Madhyamavathi -- ???

My first experience of hearing TV Ramprasadh started with me hearing just last few lines of Janaki Ramana . The Devagandhari raga alapanai was taken as a brief sketch and heard this dikshitar krithi for the first time. Poorvikalyani alapanai was very good and took up this SSI popular krithi and was rendered quite well.Swarams in poorvikalyani were just as gripping as his alapanai.

An apoorva Swarajathi in Yadukula Kambhodhi was beautiful and certainly was apt to his rich bass voice. He took up the fairly fast krithi in Maalavi and sang a quick swaram at the end .Then the main piece in Keerawani was very good ,he progressive got better with a great neraval in the lines "Bhaguda Sri Raghu Ramuni Padamula". Swarams in Keeravani was very good. OVerall cherished the concert till Keeravani. The concert certainly sagged in his Yamuna Kalyaani ,Senchurutti and Madhyamavathi . OVerall felt he could have given a better post tani concert .

The accompanist a young violinist was just average to good . The kanjira lad was playing very well in Tani, but certainly could have supported better the violinist. Prasad showed his experience and really helped to uplift the concert. However the Tani was little too long for the 2.5 hour concert. OVerall Ramprasadh gave a superb Keeravani , Yadhukula Kambodhi apoorva Swarajathi gives me a first impression that he definitely has a good vidwat. Always felt his diction was great.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ranjani/Gayathri@Music Academy(Minihall) on Aug 07,2005
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The occasion was dedicated to only singing Devi Krithis. The sisters were supported by HN BHaskar - Violin , ArunPrakash - Mridangam and Khanjira -- ?? .Here are the krithis.

1. Varnam -- Ranjani --???
2. SaraseeRuga Sanapriyae Amba (RS, S) - Naatai- ???
3. Mahalakhmi Karuna - MaadhavaManohari - Muthuswami Dikshitar
4. Amma RavAmma (RNS) -kalyani- Thyagaraja
5. Devi Brova Sammayamidhe - Chintamani - ShyamaSastri
6. Taaye TripuraSundari - SuddaSaveri ??- ???
7. Kamalambike Amba (RNST) - Todi - Muthuswami Dikshitar
8. Viruttam "RangaMuthanga Payangame Valarkinra rajamani Deepame...." --- Kharaharapriya
"Ninrum Irunthum....." -- HameerKalyaani + SindhuBhairavi
9. Karunai Deivame Karpagame - Sindhu Bhairavi- Madurai Srinivasan
10.Bhagyada lakshimi barramma - Madhyamavathi - Purandaradasar

Went little late just to hear that the varnam was in ranjani. A brief raga sketch in Naatai was followed with this kirthi which I heard for the first time. The Swarams in Naatai were very nice . There was a just a very little sruthi lapse in Maadhavamanohari between the sisters. Kalyani alapana was started by Ranjani in the lower sthayi and Gayatri took up in the higher sthayi, both were very good . Amma Ravamma was sang ok , but the Neraval in the lines "Thamarasu Tala Netri Thyagaraju" was fantastic . The swarams that followed the Neraval though good was not as great as Neraval

The sedate Chintamani was taken up which was good . The Sudda saveri ??? krithi was also good . But the days second best was Gayatri only singing the raga alapana of Todi. An outstanding Todi raga alapana was followed by Dikshitars Kamalambike . The Neraval "Sakhale Guruguha Sarane " was very good and the swarams matched up quite well .

The Viruttam again taken up by Gayatri,started in the lines "Rangamuthanga Payangame " was sung beautifully in Kharaharapriya and was awesome . Then the same lines "Ninurm Irunthum ..." was sung in two ragams . They were Hameer Kalyani (had quite a bit of tinge of Saranga) and SinduBhairavi was excellent . As I had expected , Karunai Deivame Karpagame was taken up in SinduBhairavi and was good . THe popular Bhagyada Lakshmi Barramma was just good .

The accompaniments HN Bhaskar in Violin was very good . The Kanjira artist (???) could have certainly played more . Arun Prakash's mridangam was not upto mark most of the time . Felt he was extremely passive and always had a rigid and predictable pattern for all the songs .I was particularly upset when he made the Neraval lines of both Kalyani and Todi appear as though it was a slokham/viruttam. His pattern of not playing for a long time in the Neraval , and then just touching with few fingers in the lower pitch of Neraval and then going in a predictable flow in the higher pitch needs correction . Arun could have certainly lifted the concert to greater heights with more participation.

OVerall a great Kharaharapriya + Sindhu Bhairavi Viruttam and a lovely Todi alapana. On a side note , the sisters can take efforts to sing more little more than 2 hours 15 minutes .Certainly not nitpicking them , but if two are singing I guess 2 and 1/2 hours can atleast be a minimum norm.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sanjay at PS High School for Naadopasana on Saturday 13th August 2005.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sanjay Varadarajan Arun Prakash

An RTP spanning 65 minutes so beautiful and leisurely. His raga alapanas were full of brilliant imagination and execution. In short a simply breathtaking concert. Any regrets--yes there was time only for one thukkada . Even that was rendered with so much feeling. We were truly lucky to be there and hear such a great concert live. The list:-

1.Sivalokanathani --Mayamalavagowlai (S)
2.Jaya Jaya Padmanabha Manirangu (R)
3.Sri Panchanadiham Sahana (R)
4.Nee Vanti Deivamu Bhairavi (R) (N) (S)
5.Daarini Telusoknti Suddha Saveri (R) (S) (T)
6.Paramugha Kanada (R-sketch)
7.Shankarabharanam (RTP) Raagamaalika Varali Hindolam Ananada Bhairavi
8. Karpuram Naaarumo-Khamas
9. Naadi Thedi Bhagesri
10. MANGALAM

The Shankarabharanam RTP was in the lines "Ananda Nadamidum Kanaga Sabesanani nee Ninai Maname" . With a great Raga alapanai, I would particularly mention that Sanjay really presented this ragam in great style , particularly when going in the higher Stayi , he stayed in Sankarabharanam ,never trespassed into Kambodhi. Tanam was brilliant (Sanjay's Tanam is always awesome). Varadarajan played a beautiful raga alapanai in sankarabharanam and a quite good Tanam.

Sanjay started in the lines Kanaga Sabesanai Nee Ninai Maname and slowly traversed upto Ananda Nadamidum Kanaga Sabesanani nee Ninai Maname and finally back . But the surprise and to my excitement , he took the same pallavi lines and traversed in Varali, Hindolam and Aananda Bhairavi and then back in the reverse order .The Swarams were brief and elegant and he built up slowly in all 4 ragams and fairly in medium speed greatly exposing the beauty of each ragam . In a nutshell, a well deserved long thunderous applause was definitely a small tribute to the way Sanjay sang this one hour RTP.

On the flip side , when Sanjay sang the alapanai of Bhairavi , I was more sure that it was Mukhari (I do know Bhairavi and Mukhaari is close , but I still felt it was mukhaari)and it was a little surprise to hear a Bhairavi Krithi. THe neraval in the lines was also great . The Sudda Saveri raga alapanai was also great. The swarams in Dharini Telusukonthi was average. I came to the concert only to hear the manirangu krithi, and I was told that Sanjay sang an atana varnam and Sivalokanai .

Arun Prakash was good and his tani was also great .But certainly the RTP is certainly one that I would cherish for a long time. Keep it up Sanjay !!!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Rudrapatnam Brothers@Sastri Hall on August 14th,2005
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accompanied by Nagai Murali- Violin and Mridangam - Mannargudi Easwaran
This concert was organized on behalf of Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer trust. Incidentally this concert was a thematic concert dedicated to only <b> Oothukadu Venkata Kavi </b> compositions.

The brothers rendered the following krithis.

1. Ekadantha Vinayagam- Naatai
2. Senapate namostute(S) - Gowlai
3. Madhura Madhura Venu Geetha(R,S) - Atana
4. Bala Sarasa Murali (R,S) -Keeravani
5. ???? - (R,N,S) - Kalyaani
6. Jagathi Raamabhi Raama Seetha - Kanakavasantham
7. Sarva jiva dayapari (RNST) - SuddaSAveri
8. Muttukrishna - Senjurutti
9. Tillana (Nada Dhim Tara tom tirana ???) - ??
10.Kataye kataye Rasane - Surutti
11. Mangalam

I have never heard these brothers . Both brothers are equally supportive and neither seems to dominate the other . Almost all the krithis,excepting the Senjurutti and Keeravani were new to me . Starting with a brisk nattai and the Gowlai krithi charanam to me was little unique . The swarams in Gowlai were very nice . The brothers brought up a very good alapanai of Atana and the swarams were perfect . The best piece to me was their Keeravani rendition ,here a lot of swara sahithyam was in plenty (I think it is a masterpiece of Oothukadu) .

The next Kalyaani alapanai was leisurely . Could not connect the starting lines of the krithi, The neraval lines in "Narada Muni Vinute Sujjala Vadana Charithe" was good . The next krithi in the raagam Kanakavasantham was new to me , if the brothers had not told the raagam I would have assumed it as Naagagandhari. This was a good fairly fast paced filler . The Sudda saveri krithi with the Neraval in the lines "Dheena Jana Rakshini" and the swarams were average to me . Good finish in Senjurutii and the tillana (I thought it was Jonpuri ,some one next to me told me it was Deshyatodi...) was average. Surutti finish was ok .

Nagai Murali's violin tone was excellent , no scratches . His bowing in Atana and Kalyaani were the best . Easwaran really did a great job , he controlled his aggression and definitely lifted the concert and made us appreciate oothukadu better . Particularly the mridangam was adjusted to suit the sruti scale of the brothers is nowadays practiced by only very few mridangists.The brothers appear to me as they dont sing to gallery and looks like they excel more in Madhyamakalam type of singing. OVerall a good concert , in knowledge a very good concert.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Raagam Sisters@Egmore on Aug 15,2005
----------------------------------------------------
Cannot recollect the names of the violinist, Mridangam and Ghatam artist

The sisters Shivaranjani and Nalinakanthi rendered the following Krithis

1. Sri Ganapathini - Sowrashtram - Thyagaraja
2. Swaminatha Paripalaya(S) - Naatai - Dikshitar
3. Tulasi Dala Mulache(RNS) - Mayamalavagowlai- Thyagaraja
4. Panchashat Peeta Roopini - Devagaandharam- Dikshitar
5. Bantureeti Koluvu - Hamsanaadam- Thyagaraja
6. Caala Kalla LAdu (R) - Aarabi - Dikshitar
7. Nee Daan Mechi KollaVendum - Sriranjani - OVK
8. KanakaShaila Viharini - KuntalaVarAli- ShyamaSastri
9. Marundeeshwarane SivaShankarane Harane (RNST) - PoorviKalyani -- ????
10.Malayalam Krithi - Raagamaligai - ???
11.Enthayum Thayum Magizhnthu - Patadeep ??? - Bharathi
12.Jayati Jayati Bharatha Mata - Kamaas - Mayavaram Vishwanatha Sastri
13.Enna Kavi Padinaalum - Neelamani - Adisesha Iyer
14. Tillana - BrindavanaSaranga - Balamuralikrishna
15. Apadhara Ninai ??? - Sowrashtram - ????
16. Mangalam

I went to hear the sister's concert for the first time . The sisters started great with the lovely sowrashtram. Followed up with the dikshitar's Krithi in Nattai with good swaram. Looked like the kutcheri tempo was well set . Shivaranjani gave an excellent mayamalavagowlai raga alapani followed with the popular Tulasi Dala Mulache .The neraval in the lines "Saraseruga Punnaga Champaka Padala" was fantastic and the swarams that followed were verg good (just reminded me of DKJ).

The Devagandhaaram maintained the tempo of the concert , but felt the Bantureeti was a shade below what followed till then. Nalinakanthi gave a fairly longer alapana in aarabhi making me think as though it was a main krithi. The long alapana was followed with a very short krithi , which refreshed my memory after a long time. The Oothukadu master piece that followed was just good , particularly the singers singing the second caranam "kattam enni kayitrai"was a new experience to me . The kuntalavarali was sung with good bhavam

The main Poorvikalyani alapana by Shivaranjani was good . The krithi which I again heard for the first time was quite good . THe neraval in the lines "Virumbhiya Anaithume Vanangidum Kamadhenu" was very good , with each sister taking from a different word in a phrase was excellent. Swarams that followed was just good, though not as good as the neraval.OVerall till this point the concert was between good and very good.

After the tani, all the tukkadas were quite rushed ,with only ennakavi being nice to me . THE malayalam krithi starting in the lines "Ullagan Ayera Nazh ???"was quite long , but the sisters did not maintain adequate alankaram. The enthayum Thazhum also followed the same pattern as Malayalam krithi(I am assuming it was in Patadeep). Jayati in Kamaas was quite good. The Enna Kavi was the best tukkada . The tillana in Brindavanasaranga was not good at all , the raga swaroopam did not come out well at all and was very rushed . The last sowrashtram was just ok.

Overall cramming 6 tukkadas with few being fairly long in 30 minutes certainly dipped the concert and hopefully they will plan well so that they donot cram too much . But certainly on the positive side , the sisters appear to have quite a lot of stamina and overall they do have immense potential.They both almost equally contribute and their diction is also good (particulary Sivaranjani). The violinist lady was below average ,mridangist was good , but definitely the Ghatam player performed very well . Tani was just good.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TM Krishna@PS High School on Aug 20th, 2005
------------------------------------------------------------

Accompanied by RK Shriramkumar- Violin , Mridangam - Neyveli Narayanan and Kanjira- Purushotaman. Krishna rendered the following krithis.

1. Kamala Jadala Vimala - KalyAni- ???
2. Sobhillu Sapthaswara(S) - Jaganmohini - Thyagaraja
3. Ee Vasudha Nee Venti Deivamu(R) - SahAna- Thyagaraja
4. Narasimha Natcha Parabrahma(S) - Mohanam - Dikshitar
5. KanAkambari (R) - KanAkambari - Dikshitar
6. Naama(Raama) Kusumunale(S) ???- Shreraagam- Thyagaraja
7. Amba Kamakshi (RNT)- Bhairavi - ShyamaSastri
- - - - Had to leave ,some one else can fill up - - - -

Krishna started with a farily good KAlyani. Sobhillu Swarams were very good . Sahana raaga alapanai was fantastic.Krithi rendition was slow and moving . Could not listen to Mohanam as I had to leave . Kanakambari raga alapana was outstanding and sang the krithi in a vilamba kala style . The next krithi , I could not enjoy much(only heard the start), as I had to leave . The Bhairavi alapanai was very good . The Neraval was alternating between the lines "Shyama Krishna Sohadari " and another line(I forgot) . Some one told me that he was taking one in Shadjam and another in Panchamam. Nevertheless even though I could not appreciate the Shadjam / Panchamam shift myself , I enjoyed it a lot . I was expecting a lovely swaram but krishna preferred to skip Swaram. Tani was very good.

Overall Narayanan's Mridangam especially for Bhairavi was fantastic , Excellent laya patterns. But felt Narayanan did not have that much azhutham in the way he played for some songs . Purushotaman was just good . Shriram caught up with law of average and was just ok.

On a side note, the sabash and bale was very less from TM Krishna . Overall a good to very good concert , had to leave as the work demanded to after Tani.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

TM Krishna@KrishnaGanaSabha on Aug 21st, 2005
Accompanied by M A Sundarewaran- Violin , Mridangam - Arun Prakash and Ghatam- Suresh . Krishna rendered the following krithis.

1. Viriboni(Varnam) -Bhairavi - ???
2. Janaki Ramana(S) - SuddaSeemanthani - Thyagaraja
3. Cheta Sri Balakrishnam(RS,S) - Dvijavanthi- Dikshitar
4. Shamkari Shamguru(N,S) - SAveri - ShyamaSastri
5. Vaa Murugaa Vaa (R) - Begada - Spencer Venugopal????
6. Orajoopuchu Idhu Nyayama - Kannadagowla- Thyagaraja
7. Endukku DayaRAdura (RNST)- Todi - Thyagaraja
8. RTP "SarAsa Dala Nayana Hare Krishna" - Kamaas-- swarams in Aananda Bhairavi + KalyAni + DhanyAsi + KamAs
9. Shringaram (Ragamaligai)- Slokham - ???
10. Sapasya Kausalya Vishnum - Jonpuri - ??
11. O Sashi Naamati - Mukhaari - ???
12. Idhu Dane tillai Sthalam - Behaag - ??
13. Niraimadhi Mugham Enum Oliyile - HamsAnandi -- ??
14 Pavamana --

Krishna started with the populat Ata Talam Varnam and gave a great start. The Janaki Ramana becoming almost very popular with swarams was outstanding to me . A brief Dvijavanthi raga alapana was quite good and the Cheta Balakrishnam was quite nice (I found little traces of Yadukula Kambodhi in the first half of the swaram). After singing dvijavanthi in a very slow pace , took the popular SAveri krithi and sang in a fairly fast pace . The neraval in the popular "ShyamaKrisha Sodhari Shyamalesha Sahodari" was quite good with a good swaram getting built up.. Begada alapanai was extensive and the krithi was just ok . Kannadagowla krithi was expectedly fast but here Krishna was bordering on little vottam .

Todi alapanai was very good . The rare krithi (atleast to me) was taken and Krishna built up quite well . The Neraval in the lines "Thyagaraja Vinutha Taraka Charita" was quite good and the swarams were also nice . But the day's best was the RTP . IIRC, I have never heard a kamaas RTP at all . The raga alapanai was very short . Tanam in Kamaas was simply outstanding and was in Kanda chapu talam. Krishna sang swarams in two speed in al the 3 ragams .(Particularly Aananda Bhairvai was most impressive)

Krisha gave a SSI finish with the popular Shringaram . I guess he started with Mayamaalvagowlai/NaadanamaKriya (very good, could not make up what it was) + SahAna + Varali + DarbAri KAnada ??? + Jonpuri. The Sapasya Kausalya in Jonpuri was sung very well.The next OSoshi Naamarthi in Mukhaari did not come out that well . A brief Behag raga sketch followed with Idhu Dane Tillai Sthalam was good . Hamsanandi was just good . OVerall a very good concert to me.

Sundareswaran's Violin was very good , especially in the taanam and in dvijavanthi was outstanding.Particularly when he played todi it was nice ,but looked he played as though he was playing taanam in between. Arun Prakash was just good(always feel he can play more) . Ghatam Suresh was very good.

My Critical Comments:
-------------------------------
I just thought Krishna got over with his excessive bale and sabash . But today especially during Tani there was just over doze of it . That too when they just start tani , can't understand why he should say that many Bale and Sabash . He just being 29 years , I feel that should not become a habit.

Also when he sang RTP,after announcing it was kanda chapu talam, he was thumping so hard and at times Arun Prakash not playing , looked like there was this sukhaanubhavam feeling that I was beginning to lose.

On a side note , persuaded and went with 4 of my families senior citizens(3 are very knowledgable) , most of them felt at times he is just bordering on exceesive sound .The most knowledgable among the four felt that he was not and one has to appreciate his natural style. I personally felt he was a little yes , but maybe Krishna can move the mike a little away. But unanimously all of us felt there was little too much Bale , Sabash and other gesticulation.