Perambur Sangeetha Sabha Concerts 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
thanjavooran

Perambur Sangeetha Sabha Concerts 2017

Post by thanjavooran »

This year program started with St Thyagaraja Aradhana on 29 01 2017 commencing exactly @18 45 hrs.
The event was conducted by Villivakkam based Vidwan Hyderabad B. Siva with his disciples numbering 30. Girls out numbered boys. 6 yrs old babies participated in the group singing was the highlight. Started with Sourashtra kriti Sriganapathi and Guruleka in Gowri manohari. Then followed by the Pancha Ratna Krities. To my surprise not even single child referred the note book. Varali piece was sung with utmost devotion by all in a grand manner. The hall was full for the first time and Rasikas too participated in the Group Singing. This Sukhi Niketan Arts Academy is performing in many places in India and also abroad. To name few , Anusuya, Sivagami, Arti , Rajshri and Balasubramaniyam are the participants in this Aradhana. Secretary while thanking the group, indicated that Chithrai Festival will commence from middle of April. There was distribution of prasadam at the end.
Thanjavooran
30 01 2017

thanjavooran

Re: Perambur Sangeetha Sabha Concerts 2017

Post by thanjavooran »

18 02 2017 Saturday 18 45 hrs
Smt Shruhi S. Bhat Vocal
Shri Shrikanth Violin
Shri Sai Shiv Lakshmi Keshav Mirudangam

Nera nammi : Kanada
Karunai seivai: Hamsadwani
Apparama Bakthi: Panthuvarali R N S
Nambi kettavar : Hindolam
Brochevarevarua : Kamaz R
Kripaya Palaya : Charukesi R N S T
Kasturi Thilaka : Slokam Desh, Yamuna Kalyani
Bavayami Gopalam : Yamuna
Mangalam

The concert started exactly at 18 45 hrs after observing silence for 2 mins on the demise of shri K Srinivasan , Secretary of PSS since 4 decades.

The concert was excellent and Shruthi is having a heavy voice. Her voice was not little co operating [ may be today ]
She is a disciple of Dr Sowmya and advance course in Music Academy. She is a Bachelor of commerce with corporate secretaryship besides a Masters degree in Music. She was also under the tutelage of Chengleput Ranganathan.
Shrikanth a disciple of T Hemalatha and Akkarai Sisters.
Sai Shiv Lakshmi Keshav a disciple of Karaikudi Mani.
Secretary specially thanked the vocalist for her gesture in performing with her 3 months old child.
In general the 2 hrs programme was good.
Though the hall was full initially slowly thinned with only 15 Rasikas at the end.

Thanjavooran
18 02 2017

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Perambur Sangeetha Sabha Grand Chithirai Isai Vizha
16 04 2017 Sunday 18 45 hrs

Smt Vasuda Ravi Vocal
Thirumarugal Dinesh Kumar Violin
A.V. Manikandan Mirudhangam

Nee saati Kedara Gowla Varnam
Thathvamariya Reethi Gowla R S
Gana moorthe Gana moorthi R N S
Enru Siva Krubai Mukari S
Sri Sankara Nagaswarli S
Kamalambam Kalyani R N S T
Manathirkku Sindhu Byravi

The concert was excellent with good song list. Thirumarugal a disciple of A Kanyakumari did his job well. His Kalyani Niraval was nice. Mirudhangam Manikandan is a disciple of Karaikudi Mani showed his skill in Thani.

My observation

The function started after lighting Kuthuvilakku by elderly lady members of the Sabha since Smt Malathi Thothadri could not come as she was indisposed. Secretary mentioned that he received a message from the chief guest in the afternoon only about her condition. Few years back Nalli who was to inaugurate the event rang up and informed the secretary at the commencement, his inability to attend as he was held up in Madurai Airport. Organizers can concentrate a little more on the comforts of Rasikas by ensuring that all the fans are running. [ because of the hot summer] For the first time I was shocked by the bee lining of audience during Thani. This was never the case with PSS.

Thanjavooran
16 04 2017

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

thanjavooran,
Nice report with 'straight from the heart' remarks! 'Endraikku Sivakripai' is a song of the golden era popularised by Semmangudi with his inimitable handling of Mukhari. Noted that it was a fine concert.

If the hall is not air-conditioned, fans must be maintained in good condition lest music fans drop out. In the above concert, may be Tani was the 'opportunity' to stage a walk out!!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

17 04 2017 Monday 18 30 hrs to 19 45 hrs
S/Shri
R. Arjun Sambasivam &
R. Narayanan Key Board Duet
Srikanth Violin
Gomathi Shankar Mirudhangam
Hari hara subramaniyam Ghatam

Vinayaka Hamsadwani N S
Maruverae Ananda Bhyravi R N S
Janaki Raman Sudda Seemanthani N S
Ra Ra Rajiva Lochana Mohanam R N S T
Enna thavam saidhanai

An excellent concert both playing in turns keeping the tempo in action through out. They are brothers and doing C A. Initial Guru was Mandolin Srinivas and presently Shri Ravikiran.
Srikanth a disciple of Akkarai

20 00 hrs to 21 00 hrs
Sow Ameya Karthikeyan Vocal
supported by the same above artistes

Kedara Gowla Varnam
Gambira Nattai Nee Bajana ?
Nee Padhame Nalina kanthi
Pira Varam Lathangi R N S
Sani thodi Harikambodhi R N S T

Just an OK concert not much to mention. She has to listen to stalwarts' delineation of Ragas and practice a lot. Could not identify Harikombodhi immediately. Thani was good and there was a perfect coordination between Mirudhangam and Ghatam. .
My observation

Ghatam player's Guru not known but playled perfectly matching with Mirudhangam. I presume he is practicing Anandhar sect as he was wearing a white turban. While thanks giving, as the secretary is a forumite mentioned about Rasikas.org and applealed to the rasikas to avoid walking out during thani to maintain the dignity of PSS . Coffee was served to members during 10 mts break and at the end all were gifted with a nice portrait of Shri Ramanujar with life history.

Thanjavooran
17 04 2017

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

18 04 2017 Tuesday 18 45 Hrs

Kalaimamani Smt R. Ramani Veena
Shri Tanjore Kumar Mirudhangam
Shri D.V. Venkatasubramaniam Ghatam

Neranammi Kanada Varnam
Maha Ganapathi Nattai R
Ra Rama Asaveri R S
Sogasuga Sri Ranjani R N S
Gana moorthe Gana moorthe R
Mamava Meenakshi Varali R N S
Kambodhi R T in Gana Pancharathna Raga Malika followed by
Evari maata N S and Thani
Venkatachala Nilalyam Sindhu bhyravi

A well planned concert Keeping the Rasikas spell bound. There were 40 Rasikas all Senior citizens from beginning till the end without disturbing the Artistes. Smt Ramani an elderly lady is an AIR artiste widely travelled within and abroad. An MA in music. She is a disciple of Karaikudi Sambasiva Iyer, a close associate of PSS in earlier years. As usual Thani was interesting. Kumar a disciple of Thanjavur Upendran and Ghatam a student of THV. In general a memorable evening.

Thanjavooran
18 04 2017

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

She is a long-time disciple of Smt R Vedavali. In fact, she was her first student. Concerts are rare: I wish I could have come, but it is just too far.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

DELIGHTED to learn of Vidushi R Ramani's concert. I was expecting to find her name in the SVK Birthday Series list. I also tragically missed Smt Kalyani Ganesan's recital at Naada Inbam since I left Bengaluru only on the evening of 13 Apr. :(

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Nick H
Distance is not the criterion. On behalf of North Chennai Rasikas I invite you and all our forum members to attend one of these days to PSS and enjoy the ambience. Simply to listen to chaste CM we seniors travel all the way from deep North to Mylapore area.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
19 04 2017

maruthidasan

Post by maruthidasan »

as tanjavooran rightly mentioned distance is not the only fact for not attending as music make us to go corner.
i have been frequently visiting to south madras places like Mylapore, t nagar and Indira nagar for the sake of good music.
hence music connoisseurs are most welcome

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

19 04 2017 Wednesday 18 45 hrs

Ragangal Ayiram Padalgal Ayiram
A Novel Unique MUsic Program

Sankara T.V. Isai Kavi Ramanan with
Shri V. Balasubramanian
Shri N. Jayakrishnan

Started exactly at 18 45 hrs. This is a different item organized by PSS.
Kalyani ragam was taken up initially.
Shri Jayakrishnan gave the ragaswaroopam / sketch then slowly giving the full
beauty of the raga. Sang few lines of different compositions stating how these kritis are handled by Vaagesyakaras.
Unnai allal of Sivan was sung
On the light music side shri Balasubramanian presented Sindhanai sai Maname.
J K Himadri sudhe of SS
B Janani, Amma enru Azhaikkada

Hindolam

J K Ramanukku mannan
Ramanan Endha ruchira
B Karpanai enraulum
J Ramanukku mannan
Ramanan Pachchai ma malai

Few details I could gather from their interaction with Rasiksas

Shri Ramanan was a GM Hindu at Vizak and taken up VRS 10 yrs before he could complete his tenure..Since then concentrating on Tamil literature besides a Asu Kavi. He is Sri Vidhya Upasakar. This is the first time he visits Perambur. His knowledge in Sanskrit is limited.
Balasubramanian is GM Finance in a big organisation and can play Vina also. Karpanai enralum was tuned TMS when the lyric was sent on a Post card by Vali from Srirangam years before. KV Mahadevan who saw B in a recording studio playing Vina for a song advised him to concentrate on studies and not to come to cine music. He is Charted Accountant.
Jayakrishnan also practicing CA and also doing research at IIT on linquistic studies . He is learning Vina himself. Being a disciple of NSG sang perfectly well. Secretary mentioned all three enacted a play on music based theme for 20 mts.in a sabha recently.

My observation
The programme lasted for 2 hrs and there were 40 rasikas, all sat till the end. Best suitable for beginners who have interest in Carnatic based light music. Ramanan's knowledge on music and composers are immense.
Definitely a novel experience to listen to such programme. In general 2 hrs spent usefully.

Thanjavooran
20 04 2017

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

thanjavooran wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 07:53 Shri Nick H
Distance is not the criterion. On behalf of North Chennai Rasikas I invite you and all our forum members to attend one of these days to PSS and enjoy the ambience. Simply to listen to chaste CM we seniors travel all the way from deep North to Mylapore area.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
19 04 2017
maruthidasan wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 05:44 as tanjavooran rightly mentioned distance is not the only fact for not attending as music make us to go corner.
i have been frequently visiting to south madras places like Mylapore, t nagar and Indira nagar for the sake of good music.
hence music connoisseurs are most welcome
Sadly, it is the criterion, especially for office-hours travel. If I were starting from Mylapore, I might do it, but I am even further to the South, and Perambur would be more than double the amount of driving. It is not the kilometres, but the time/traffic stress involved in the journey. It is far easier for me to reach Mahabalipuram than it is to get to West Mambalam!

I really do appreciate how far some rasikas travel for music, especially those who are even older than I am.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

20 04 2017 Thursday 18 45 hrs

Smt Savita Sreeram Vocal
Shri Karaikal Venkatasubramanian Violin
Shri M.S. Venkatasubramanian Mirudhangam

Evari pothana Abhogi
Jaya jaya janaki Nattai
Kamala Kanada R N S
Athi nirupama sundara poorvikalyani R N S
Mal maruga Vasantha
Rama Katha Sutha Madhyamavathi R N S Thani
Thukkaram Bajan Desh
Abhang

The two hours concert was nice, She sang with open throat. A disciple of Balamani and presently under PSN. An AIR artiste too. She explained the bajan song in Tamil before singing. A novel approach. Used cymbals for Bajan. Karaikal disciple of TNK.. Swaraprastharam and replies on Madhyamavathi were excellent. Venkata subramanian a disciple of Nagai Soundarajan and presently under Sri Mushnam. His thani was pleasing. In general the concert was excellent. There were 40 Rasikas and at the end Sundal prasadam was distributed.

Thanjavooran
21 04 2017

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanjavooran,
Here I am at home, trying to view as much of the Cleveland festival as possible on my maDik kuzhandai (my name for the lap top) and write a little about it.

You have to take yourself to the sabha every time (though not that far, I hope). At our stage in life, it's not that easy--especially when it comes to crossing roads! Only goes to prove that music is mighty :)

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

21 04 2017 Friday 18 45 hrs

kalaimamani Dr M Narmada Violin
Madipakkam Suresh Mirudhangam Dis of Karaikudi
Madipakkam Murali Ghatam Dis of Kumbakonam Rajappa Iyer.

Sarasuda Saveri Varnam
Vathapi Hamsadwani R N S
Marukelara Jayanthasri S with a comment dedicated to all Nadaswara vidwans.
Sabapathikku Abhogi R N S
Raguvamsa suda Kathana kuthukalam at a very fast speed.
Srinivasa Hamsanandhi started with Thanam on Trivandrum style, percussion closely following. R N S and Thani.
Theeradha vilaiyattu pillai
Katrinilae varum geetham
A bajan in Behag
Bhagyatha Lakshi Madhyamavathi

A very well planned concert with perfect coordination of Mirudangam and Ghatam at every stage. Though few ragas with Hindustani tinge did not mix up both in any stage. Parur style noticed in every passage [ purely carnatic.] She sang with her nice voice few pieces. Dr N recollected her family's association with this age old sabha for more than 55 yrs. She recollected her Grand father's remarks on few kritis by St T. Thani by Madipakkams was excellent and very crisp making the rasikas shackled to their seats.

Dr N was in the hall from 18 30 hrs. Madipakkams were late. As usual Secretary was restless focusing his attention on Cell and entrance, heaved a big sigh on their arrival at 18 45 hrs. All seated on the stage for shruti alignment. Ghatam was missing for a while and found talking on his cell, located by the secretary and brought him to the stage. When we rasikas are coming in time so expect artistes also to be at the venue before time. Definitely there will be an excuse for the traffic jam. Just to avert such eventuality should start well in advance. Dr N has performed more than 4000 solos till now as indicated by the secretary. Dr N thanked the secretary for his invitation to perform at PSS. To my utter surprise she thanked the sound technician too. He made some meticulous adjustments at a small sign of the Artistes. There were 45 Rasikas sat even after the Mangalam. So far this is the best in this series.

Thanjavooran
22 04 2017

maruthidasan

Post by maruthidasan »

thanks thanjavooran sir for your wonderful and practical review. infect Dr.N came around 6 pm itself and set with the mike settings. the traffic jam is not to be blamed as we have to plan for the destination well in time. i could understand the difficulty of the organizers looking around for the artist to settle in and begin the program in time.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

22 04 2017 Saturday 18 40 hrs

Namasankeerthanam by Chaitanya Bhajan Mandali founded by
Dr. Chittur. R. Seshadri [1921-1995]
Led by C.S. Murali Bhagavathar and his family
S/Shri Sukumaran
Anantha Narayanan
Viswanathan
Ravi Rajagopal
Smt Meera and Smt Lalitha and few others.

All were given a copy of lyrics to follow the bhajan. It was an wonderful evening with songs offered by the participants in turn. Key board was in a stand underneath Dolaki was kept. Shri Sukumaran played both. Mirudhangam and Harmonium were there to substantiate the Bhajan. The mission started by the physician turned Bhagavathar Dr. Seshadri is fully met with. An excellent Namasankeerthanam. There were 40 Rasikas closely following the chorus. This is also a unique venture by the PSS in the present Vizha series.
The Mandali is conducting sampradhaya Bhajans also.

Updating of the Membership details viz status of membership, DOB, the current Email id and contact numbers with the latest residential address etc. in a standard format [ there is space for affixing photograph ] are collected and secretary insisted on submitting this by honorable members.

Thanjavooran
23 04 2017

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

23 04 2017 Sunday 18 45 hrs

Smt Mahathi Vocal
S/Shri
B.U. Ganesh Violin
R. Ramesh Mirudhangam
Sai Subramaniam Morsing

Madhe Kamaz
Thathvamariya tharma Reethi Gowla N S
Kanamum Maravadhe Saramathi
Padmavathi Ramanan Poorvikalyani R N S
Sobillu Jaganmohini N S
Kalikiyundae Keeravani R N S and Thani
Sodhanai Kapi
Thillana

The concert started at 18 50 hrs and ended at 21 05 hrs. More Tamil compositions. A very good concert. Thani was good. Morsing noisy. May be he was very close to the mike. Often he was selecting the instrument. In general a very good concert. Vocalist herself introduced the artistes before the commencement and mentioned that will try to meet the requests made by the Rasikas. The Poorvikalyani kriti is by Oothukadu a rare piece and could not make out the first line of the song may be because of the poor hearing power / mike/ clarity of lyrics. Only during niraval with great difficulty could come to know. There were 80 Rasikas till the end. The Rasikas were given a Sweet pocket at the close. Some good samaritan is sponsoring for this.

Thanjavooran
24 04 2017

arasi

Post by arasi »

Was it Krishna Sweets which sponsored the concert?

Thanks for your continuing to share your concert experience with us...

melam72

Post by melam72 »

thanjavooran wrote: 24 Apr 2017, 07:08 Padmavathi Ramanan Poorvikalyani R N S
This was written by OVK in honour of Jayadeva. Since he described himself as the master of Padmavati's anklets, he called Jayadeva Padmavathi Ramanan (lord of Padmavathi). Venkatakavi was one of the earliest known composer to dedicate a krithi in whole to a specific historic personality. BMK and Chitravina Ravikiran followed in this legacy; heck, BMK composed a krithi and a ragam in honour of the Neckless Monster*!!!!

*Amma, Puratchi Thalaivi, Makkalin Mudhalvar, Selvi J Jayalalithaa

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Arasi
Thanks. You are very busy with Cleveland schedule. Continue. Quite interesting.

Melam
Many thanks for the additional information.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
24 04 3017

csat7hills

Post by csat7hills »

thanjavooran wrote: 23 Apr 2017, 07:58 22 04 2017 Saturday 18 40 hrs

Namasankeerthanam by Chaitanya Bhajan Mandali founded by
Dr. Chittur. R. Seshadri [1921-1995]
Led by C.S. Murali Bhagavathar and his family
S/Shri Sukumaran
Anantha Narayanan
Viswanathan
Ravi Rajagopal
Smt Meera and Smt Lalitha and few others.

All were given a copy of lyrics to follow the bhajan. It was an wonderful evening with songs offered by the participants in turn. Key board was in a stand underneath Dolaki was kept. Shri Sukumaran played both. Mirudhangam and Harmonium were there to substantiate the Bhajan. The mission started by the physician turned Bhagavathar Dr. Seshadri is fully met with. An excellent Namasankeerthanam. There were 40 Rasikas closely following the chorus. This is also a unique venture by the PSS in the present Vizha series.
The Mandali is conducting sampradhaya Bhajans also.

Updating of the Membership details viz status of membership, DOB, the current Email id and contact numbers with the latest residential address etc. in a standard format [ there is space for affixing photograph ] are collected and secretary insisted on submitting this by honorable members.

Thanjavooran
23 04 2017
Thank you for your review. By the way it was S.Viswanathan (not Sukumaran) who played the keyboard and packawaj. It was a great privilege to be part of the PSS Isai Vizha.

C.S.Murali (Subramanian)
24 04 2017

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

24 05 2017 Monday 18 45 hrs

S/Shri Hemmige S. Prasanth Vocal disciple of KVN
Mullaivasal Chandramouli Violin
Dr. K. Ashok Mirudangam

Sami ninne Sriragam Varnam
Sujana Jeevana Harikamobodhi N S
Rama Ninne Useni R N S
Kadaikann Begada R N S
Anna Poorne Sama R N S
Kanden Kanden Vasantha S
Engirundhalum dharisanam S
Devi Padhame Saveri R N S Thani
Slokam Vame bhoomi sudha Sindhubyravi followed by
Hari Bajan

The two hours concert was well appreciated by all Rasikas who sat till the end. Secretary thanked the pakka vadhyam artistes for their presence well in advance so that vocalist from Karnataka should not put to inconvenience. Mullaivasal is Kanchi Asthana vidwan his replies were pleasing. Begada handled nicely by both. He is a disciple of Savithri Sathyamoorthi, R K. Venkataramasastri and VVS. Ashok is a doctorate and belongs to Pazhani school. His guru is Kalidas. Thani was excellent. Hemmige and Ashok's gesture in enjoying the playing of violin should be put on records. Especially Dr was frequently nodded his head in appreciation. This I find with few Vidwans only.

Hemmige village is a vaishanava sthalam near Mysore. Is this Artiste related to Hemmige Srivatsa of U S also a disciple of KVN. Just curious.

A sincere and devoted official of the Hall [ not PSS ] charged at a sweating Rasika on switching 'on' a fan, which could have been avoided.

Thanjavooran
25 04 2017

ashwinsv

Post by ashwinsv »

thanjavooran wrote: 24 Apr 2017, 07:08 23 04 2017 Sunday 18 45 hrs

Smt Mahathi Vocal
S/Shri
B.U. Ganesh Violin
R. Ramesh Mirudhangam
Sai Subramaniam Morsing

Madhe Kamaz
Thathvamariya tharma Reethi Gowla N S
Kanamum Maravadhe Saramathi
Padmavathi Ramanan Poorvikalyani R N S
Sobillu Jaganmohini N S
Kalikiyundae Keeravani R N S and Thani
Sodhanai Kapi
Thillana
Wasn't the sAramati krti - 'manasAra mati' ?

prathibha

Post by prathibha »

thanjavooran wrote: 25 Apr 2017, 08:15 24 05 2017 Monday 18 45 hrs

S/Shri Hemmige S. Prasanth Vocal disciple of KVN

Hemmige village is a vaishanava sthalam near Mysore. Is this Artiste related to Hemmige Srivatsa of U S also a disciple of KVN. Just curious.

Thanjavooran
25 04 2017
Dear Thanjavuran Sir, thank you for your kind words. Hemmige S Prashanth is the cousin of Sri Hemmige V Srivatsan.

Prathibha

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

25 04 2017 Tuesday
26 07 2017 Wednesday

Smt.Needamangalam Alamelu and
Shri Needamangalam V. Subbaraman

Discourse on Sri Bakthavijayam and Sri Panduranga mahimai
A very good program. Both days were well attended by senior citizens and prasadam viz cup full of Kesari and sundal distributed to all rasikas at the end. The couple is well versed in Tamil compositions and Tamil literature with good sense of humour keeping everybody enjoying the discourse.

27 04 2017 Thursday

S/Shri
J.A. Jayanth Flute disciple of T Sankaran [ grand father ]
B. Ananthakrishnan Violin
S.A. Arjun Ganesh Mirudhangam

Varnam Kalyani
Nijama marmamulanu
Sobillu Sapthaswar Jaganmohini R S
Devathi deva Sunadha vinodhini R N S
Nenanrunchina Malavi
Rama Katha sudha Madhyamavathi R N S and Thani
Venkatachala Nilayam Sindhu byravi
Note Sankarabaranam
Mangalam

A very excellent concert in the series. He played with a very long flute for Madhyamavathi and a very short one for English Note. He has very bright future. There were only 40 Rasikas as usual, were enjoying the music till the end. Violinist performed well and so the Thani. Being the concluding program of this series Secretary thanked the artistes and mentioned T R Mali and T sankaran's close association with the sabha. He also thanked his co office bearers and Rasikas .org in particular. As usual prasadam was distributed to the rasikas. I wish some of our forumites visit this PSS though it is far off to enjoy chaste CM in future.
Thanjavooran
28 04 2017

maruthidasan

Post by maruthidasan »

Dear Tanjavooran sir
we find the review of PSS daily and i am thankful to you for the same as it will be of more useful for the people who miss it.
with regards.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

12 08 2017 Saturday 18 45 hrs

S/Shri
Vignesh Ishwar Vocal
L. Ramakrishnan Violin
Tanjore Praveen kumar Mirudhangam

Shri Kamkoti Saveri N
Smaranena sukham Jana ranjani R N S
Ananda Natesa Thodi R
Oh Jagadamba Ananda byravi R N S Thani

Artistes decorated the podium at 18 45 hrs.
He took nearly 10 mts to adjust sruti in the miniature manually operated Tampura. An excellent concert for 120 mts. Janaranjani was quite pleasing with nice violin reply. The Bombay based Ganesh Ishwar is a disciple of TMK presently and started singing from his 4th year on wards. He was under the tutelage of Palghat Anantharama Bhagavathar initially. He holds a Masters degree in sound and Music technology. He has very good control over his voice. Violinist Guru is Kanyakumari which was quite evident from his bowing. Praveen kumar is the grand son of Upendran and a disciple of Guruvayur. There were only 20 Rasikas and all sat till the end. May be an influence of Bigg Boss.

Thanjavooran
13 08 2017

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Perambur Sangeetha Sabha 

15/10/2017  thematic program on Sankarar  Rramanujar and  Madhwar.  by

KALAIMAMANI  SNAGEETHA CHOODAMANI  SRIMUSHNAM V. RAJA RAO.

vocal support by

smt.Kanakadurga venkatesh
smt.sankari satish bharatwaj
smt.vasumathi desikan
smt.rajshree ram.

Pappu Gnanadev  violin

Ganaparhy raman   mirudangam.

The program started exactly 18 45 hrs and brief welcome address was given by the Secretary 
Few interesting points are as listed below.

Commenced with a virutham    on Hamsadhwani   sruthi smruthi smruthi puranam

Jalaja   varnam

Gajananana yutham chakravagam

Bhajagovindam ragamalika by group singing.

discourse on saknara for about 10 minutes script based on Mr.A.Gopalan

Sri sankar guru varam chinthyami   Nagaswaravali
Shri Mushnam  explained and demonstrated  how to play mirudangam for the song and importance of thalam.

Jagadh guroro dhayanidhe  Atana roopagam  sri muthaiya bagavathar

Mohanam    srisankaracharyam bhajare.

There was a small break for about 10 minutes felicitating the chief guest Mr.S.Kedarinath and the  script writer Mr.A.Gopalan by  the secretary and shawl were presented by the president of the sabha Dr.N.Parameswaran.

Srimushnam Rajarao introduced the accompanying artistes in a brief manner

The program continued with Ramanujar Virutham in Hindolam sung by his disciples.

A breif note about Ramanujar was given. 

virutham on  hindolam continued in thodi raga sri ramanujacharyam

senchuruti  killikanni

Since the time is out of hand he concluded the Madhwar by a brief account on
Guru achuthaprakasar

Guru Madhwaraya  on keeeravani and concluded with Mangalam

My observation

The program went on nearly 3 hrs as he was more elaborate in sankara with references and  the time overshoot the  limit.

Sri Rajarao presented shawl for the secretary V.Srinivasan, Mr kedarnath and Mr.A. Gopalan  praised the services of the good old perambur sangeetha sabha and wished  for more prosperity in the years to come.

The secretary expressed his thanks to him for having presented with shawl which is very rare among any musician to do so.
Shrimushnam should be little time conscious. He has a vast knowledge on all subjects quite visible from the appropriate references he made from relevant sources.
One should not fail to appreciate the good gesture of the Artiste honoring a Sabah secretary.
Even though late  audience sat till the end as usual.
All the co artistes did their duty perfectly well.
In total a very memorable and  wonderful  evening.

Thanjavooran
16 010 2017

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanjavooran,
Thanks for staying until the end to bring us the review. Srimushnam is a complete vidvAn. Still, time management makes such events better for all.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

12 11 2017. Sunday. 18 45 hrs
S/Shri. Kumaravolu Sivaprasad. whistle
Karaikal. Venkatasubramanian. Violin
Burra Sriram Mirudhangam
Rajaraman. Ghatam
V. Saisubramaniam. Morsing

Varnam
Vathapi. Hamsadhvani. R N S
Sathinjane. Arabi. R
Manasa. Malaya marudham. R N S
Madyamavathi. R S
Theerada vilaiyattu pillai
Kavadi sindhu
Magudi
Sridharan gopala
Mangalam

An excellent presentation for 2 hrs 30 mts. The hall was full till the end. There was a supply failure for 10 mts but he continued without stopping. In general a very good performance. Violin sruthi was slightly higher. Malayamarudam was good and violinist reply was pleasing. Sabah secretary thanked the artistists for their punctuality which is always a problem. President appealed to all vidwans to encourage this Sabha with sizable concession in sanmanam at the recognition of Chennai by UNESCO. A momento was presented to the whistle Wizard as a token of appreciation. He is a disciple of BMK and N.S. Srinivasan. Astana viswanathan of Datha Peetam and also Kanchi he has 45 yrs of whistle music journey and performed overseas also. Violin disciple of TNK, mirudangam guru Shri M L N Raju , Ghatam Vikku and morsing A. S. Krishnan
My observation
Some 35 yrs back Thanjavur Kalyanaramn performed whistle concert at Shastri hall. IMO Rasikas could not fully enjoy since artiste's body language did not match with the performance. A young girl Pooja Chandramohan was introduced to the audience for whistling 30 hrs continuously as an attempt to Guinness record which is pending recognition. This she ventured with cine music.
Thanjavooran
13 11 2017

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Thank you for reporting this event, thanjavooran sir. Good to know that whistle concerts are finding patronage. Please let us know which was the madhyamAvati krti if you happen to find out later. Was that the main (with tani)?

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Srikant,
Malayamarudham was the main. No RTP or Thani. At the finish of the concert all culminated putting an end. Could not make out the Madhyamavathi Krithi.
Thanjavooran
16 11 2017

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

08 12 2017  Friday  18 45 hrs
Venue. Perambur Annadhana Samajam

Aishwarya  and  Saundarya   Vocal
Dr.M.  Narmadha    Violin
Kallidai kurichi M.  Sivakumar   Mirudhangam
Papanasam  S.  Sethuraman    Kanjira

The concert started exactly at 19  00 hrs
Slokam  Vande vasudevam 
Sabapathikku    Abhogi  R N and S
Srivalli Devasenapathe    Nata bhiravi
Slokam  Oh Rangasayee   Kambodhi   R n S and T
Bajan on Gurunanak     Sankara  in Punjabi
Jagadoddarana 
Katrinile varum Geetham
Mangalam

The  Concert came to an end at 21 15 hrs. The hall was full from the beginning till the end without budging even during Thani.
Dr. with smiling face followed closely increasing the beauty of the concert.  There was perfect sruti alignment by sisters and occasionally could hear Soundarya's voice too.  An excellent well planned concert and Narmada's Kambodhi Niraval and Swaram were excellent.
Sivakumar disciple of Palghat Ragu and Sethuraman disciple of Somu Pillai performed well and Thani was crisp.  From the start till the end there was no waste of time and pieces followed in quick succession.  In general a very good evening with peace of mind.  As usual Dr.greeted the sound engineer on arrival besides thanking him at the end.  Much awaited  Aishwarya performance in North Madras was welcomed by the gathering.

My observation

The Hall is slightly bigger and Ok compared to  Sri Sankara Matam but for the seating arrangement.  One has to waste energy by turning to sides to get a glimpse of the Artistes.   In RBCC School Venue in early 60 s Rasikas used to sit on mat and from 4th row there will be chairs for the comfort of seniors. I presume ' Lack of cooperation ' by the managing staff of Sankara Matam would have resorted to the new venue though this is also equally with divinity. Here Vidwans get a close rapport with Rasikas.
IMO  to over come this inconvenience
The dais may little be raised  or
Interested and  comfortable Rasikas can sit on the floor covered with mat or
Rows of Chairs can be arranged in between the front two.  Organizers may kindly think on this line if the venue of the concert hereafter only at this Hall.
Secretary thanked the Artistes and Audience at the end submitting a request to perform at this PSS in future at short notice.  Shri Sinivasan [Cienu] also thanked the accompanying vidwans and Rasikas recollecting his memories of his Grand mother and Mothers association with this Sabha.

Thanjavooran
09 12 2017

maruthidasan

Post by maruthidasan »

Sri thanjavooran sir
thanks for your crisp review as usual.
with regards to your observation of the hall i do agree that the seating arrangements and the dais needs to be improved.
We are also concerned about this and shortly do the needful in making live. We have some other advantages in comparing with sankaralayam which can not be explained as it is to be experienced.
I personally thank your observation and look into the same at earliest.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Sri Thanajavooran,
It is always a pleasure to read your reviews - straight out of the heart!
Keep coming, Sir.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

30 12 2017 . Saturday . 18 45 hrs
S/Shri
Shnkar Ramani Vocal
Smt Bharathi Violin
Vijay Ganesh Mirudhangam
K. Ranganathan Ghatam

1. Viruttam and vAtApi gaNapatim (N,S) - hamsadhwani - Adi

2. Bhuvini dAsuDanE (S)- srIranjani - Adi

3. SamayamidE nannu - kEdAram - rUpakam

4. Ramanukku mannan(A) - hindOLam - Adi

5. kA vA vA (A,N,S) - varALi - Adi

6. Viruttam and karuNai deivamE - sindhu bhairavi - Adi

7. VaruvArO varam taruvArO - sAmA - Adi

8. ThillanA (dhIm ta dhIm ta) - brndAvani - Adi

9. MangaLam - saurAshTram - Adi

This is the last concert of the year. The concert started at 18 50 hrs with 50 Rasikas. Varali was very nicely delineated and the violin reply was praise worthy. So the Sama also. Mirudhangam and Ghatam were very co operative and did their job perfectly well. Thani was quite interesting. Shankar Ramani is a disciple of OST and a VP of CTS in US, and given concerts all over the world besides Chennai. This is his 3rd visit to PSS.
As usual all Rasikas sat till the end.
Secretary thanked the Artistes and indicated the proposed Thyagaraja Aradhana in January. 2018

Thanjavooran
31 12 2017