2017 Feb 06 SanjaySubrahmanyan SVaradarajan NeyveliBVenkatesh BRajashekar @ RLKM(SpF)

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
badari

2017 Feb 06 SanjaySubrahmanyan SVaradarajan NeyveliBVenkatesh BRajashekar @ RLKM(SpF)

Post by badari »

Vocal: Vid. SanjaySubrahmanyan
Violin: Vid. SVaradarajan
Mridanga: Vid. NeyveliBVenkatesh
Morsing: Vid. BRajashekar

Occasion: SRLKM Spring Festival @ Bangalore Gayana Samaja

01 sariyO nI sheyyum tAmadam enpAl (tv) bEgaDe Adi Tiger Varadachari (O)

02 ninna nambide nIraja shyAma mukhAri purandara dAsa (S)
swara @ ninna nambide

03 srI kamalAmbikAyA sahAnA tripuTa m.dikshithar (A)

04 eppaDi manam tuNindadO husEni aruNAcala kavi (A, S)
swara @ eppaDi

05 Enna rakShisO nInu dEvara dEva shubhapantuvarALi Adi purandara dAsa

06 enduku peddala shaNkarAbharaNa Adi tyAgarAja (A, N, S, T)
nereval @ enduku peddala

07 mAmava sadA janani kAnaDA rUpaka swAtitirunAL

08 Indu shruti smriti baLasi sArutide kOsala Jhampa purandara dAsa

09 rAga tAna pallavi Anandabhairavi chaturaSra tripuTa 2 kaLai 1 beat eDupu
pallavi line:murugaiyanE pannirukaiyanE... vaLLi daviAne manALane
rAgamAlika : kEdAra, hamsAnandi

10 ellAm sivan seyal enrE kalyANi sudhAnanda bharati

11 nanda tanaya gOvinda bAgEshrI KChApu purandara dAsa

12 nAdi tEdi tiruppugazh bAgEshiri aruNagirinAdhar

13 nInAma rUpamulaku mangaLa sourAshtra Adi tyAgarAja

Photo @
http://arohanaavarohana.blogspot.com/20 ... anyan.html

review to follow

Venkat Ramachandran

Re: 2017 Feb 06 SanjaySubrahmanyan SVaradarajan NeyveliBVenkatesh BRajashekar @ RLKM(SpF)

Post by Venkat Ramachandran »

Looks like an excellent list, missed the concert thanks to Bangalore traffic

iprakash

Re: 2017 Feb 06 SanjaySubrahmanyan SVaradarajan NeyveliBVenkatesh BRajashekar @ RLKM(SpF)

Post by iprakash »

Hats off to Sanjay for such a fantastic list after an unforgettable "Out of the world" concert in Singapore the earlier day...where he sang Ragam and swaram in kanakangi, kannada, kanada (main - Sukhi Evvaro) and RTP in Kalyani (with ragamalika swara in varali, Bahudari, Behag) apart from the rarely sung Sahana varnam Evvare and viruttam in Hindolam...adjusting to the time difference of 2.5 hours after returning back...

badari

Post by badari »

iprakash wrote: 07 Feb 2017, 12:35 Hats off to Sanjay for such a fantastic list after an unforgettable "Out of the world" concert in Singapore the earlier day...where he sang Ragam and swaram ... ..... .adjusting to the time difference of 2.5 hours after returning back...
@iprakash: Do we get tired of seeing Dhoni's Helicopter shot, Do we get tired of Rahul Dravid's Square cut, Cover Drives, Do we get bored of flamboyance of A B De Villiars?... I believe same applies here.

Ramam

Post by Ramam »

It took nearly an hour to get a proper grip.

Husseni was OK. It was not up to the SS mark. The song of course was very nicely presented. Yet Mridhangam some how did not get the rhythm for Sahana and this krithi too.

There were more special/ briga effects in the initial alapana of Shankarabharanam. Later it was neat and very good. Swaras were having Semmangudi imprint too

Ananda bhairavi alapna again showed the class.

The rendering effort of the puranadara dasa krithis was huge. Yet sukham from these renderings was wanting. I am refraining in making a comparison.

Im a SS fan; the special effects are now filling more of the initial concert times , this probably can be avoided. For the vidwath SS has and listened in the past was actually not felt. May be I was expecting more.

Madurai Mani Alapana always sounded more pleasing and thought provoking when the violinist summarized all the nuances - this happened from Varadarajan.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Badari,
Song number ten was a padam in kalyANi. A direct complaint to a 'dEvarIr' (your exalted self)--the starting word of the second line. Wish I had remembered the first line...:(

ellAm sivan seyal is a philosophic song in vasanthA by Suddhananda Bharathi.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

FB report says "ellam ariven pomayya"
Upto Sankarabharanam i heard and it was less than an SS effort, but the swaras in Sankarabharanam lifted up the mood.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Chellappa.

Yes, that was what it was. A very effective, direct line like that, I recall. My search for it didn't yield any results...

pvs

Post by pvs »

I find many of Sanjay's songs are unknown to Google! Speaks to his unearthing songs unheard/unsung for a while or maybe tuning verses for the first time.
One case that jumps to mind is a short Jayantasree that I heard somewhere (youtube?). It goes like
"Bhaktharai vattum pagaimayai ottum...kathukadal suvara neer dhanai kudikkum...
kavi pulavan magizha malai guhai idikkum...kadhir vadi vela karunala vala, gathi tharum moola, gowri maghizumbala ".
It easily burnt itself into my 2 cell brain - tuned to neatly trace the Marugelara contour. Anybody know more details of the composer? Duraisami kavirayar?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Badari,
As Chellappa said, song number 10 was not ellAm sivan seyal but ellAm aRivEn, pOmaiyyA...