T M Krishna & Party Live in Jerusalem - 30th Jan 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
MaheshS

T M Krishna & Party Live in Jerusalem - 30th Jan 2017

Post by MaheshS »

T M Krishna
H N Bhaskar
Praveen Kumar

The Israel Academy, Jerusalem - Israel Jan 30th 2017

First 15 mins intro speaches.

YouTube Link for Part 1 - There are 3 more parts to the concert which you can find on the same page.

1. Ninne Namminanu - Thodi [NS @ Kanjathalayadakshi Kamakshi] - SS - Misrachapu
2. Sarasasama Dana - Kapi Narayani [N @ Hitamamu Mata] - T - Adi
3. Talks about Mathorubagan & Perumal Murugan
4. Mudiyadha Thuyaril Naan - Virutham - Perumal Murugan - Sahana,Behag
5. Irakkam Varamal - Behag - Gopalakrishna Bharathi - Rupaka
6. Prayer sung in Sabarmathi Ashram - Hamsadhwani, Kapi, ??
7. Yiddish Prayer Song

rshankar

Re: T M Krishna & Party Live in Jerusalem - 30th Jan 2017

Post by rshankar »

A fabulous concert! The part about mAdOrbhAgan was extremely moving and the verse segued beautifully and seamlessly into irakkam varAmal pOnadenna kAraNam. It was an all-around, goose bump-inducing moment.
The tODi opener was a remarkable showcase for the range of his voice, spanning multiple octaves....

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

MaheshS wrote: 07 Feb 2017, 17:06 T M Krishna
The Israel Academy, Jerusalem - Israel Jan 30th 2017
Oy vey!*
rshankar wrote: 07 Feb 2017, 20:07 A fabulous concert!
Whatever else, his music can be spell-binding.

*Sorry. Someone had to say it. :oops:

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

There is no doubt that Krishna is a gifted musician!

The person who introduced him (in video 1) is Prof David Shulman of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, who is an expert on Tamil and Telugu literature. His most recent work was on the murals of the Tiruvarur temple (we discussed his work earlier in this forum).

David speaks and writes excellent tamizh. I once had the good fortune of meeting him at a rosh hashanah dinner party, along with a good friend colleague of his, an Indian historian (of the 15th/16th century) at UCLA called Sanjay Subrahmanyam (http://www.history.ucla.edu/subrahma), who also happened to be at that event. This Sanjay was getting tired of people asking him if he was also a Carnatic musician. At this point, David Shulman surprised everyone with a spontaneous rendering of mAyAtIta swarUpini!

I am very glad that David was able to bring Krishna to Israel. There are few Indian musicians who could have done better by the audience and context. David mentioned that when he brought Krishna to this old coptic church with amazing acoustics in Jerusalem, the 5000 year old structure was hearing carnatic music for the first time! I have to disagree, because I broken out into song at the very same location. Although the music was nowhere as beautiful as Krishna's :)

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Wow
Wow
Wow

And separately, I think Jews =Israelis have a natural gift for making and enjoying music.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Mahavishnu's remarks are informative.

arasi

Post by arasi »

...to say the least. Wish he had the time and inclination to converse with us more.

I haven't been to Israel, but bursting into song thus inspired happened to me when I saw Victoria Falls in its full glory. Thanks to this day to the cousin who took me there.

I virtually ran the length of it on the untouched by civilization path, retracing it once again with song, after first pausing time and again to drink in its beauty. Barely anyone was within sight...

Chartres cathedral too, the love and sweat which flowed into building it made me exclaim in song, but my voice was a little muted because of all the people around me...

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Prof David Shulman of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, who is an expert on Tamil and Telugu literature. His most recent work was on the murals of the Tiruvarur temple (we discussed his work earlier in this forum).
David Shulman wrote a [characteristically] generous introduction to T.M.Krishna's heavy-weight tome on Carnatic Music. His latest book is Tamil - A Biography. Earlier, in 2012 he wrote a stunning biography of imagination as seen in the Sanskrit, Tamil and Telugu literary texts - 'More than Real'. The book lives up to its name.

Shulman has a more-than-passing interest in the art forms of South India, and did a splendid documentation and study of Kudiyattam, and the extended Theatrical traditions of Kerala, for UNESCO. He has PhD students who are as sensitive and motivated, working on the complex bidirectional exchanges between Sanskrit and Malayalam in the last half-millennium. His 'Spring, Heat, Rains - a South Indian Diary' reflects the genuine affection and deep connect he has with the 'field-site' of his research.

Along with his long-time collaborator Velcheru Narayana Rao and A.K.Ramanujan, Shulman has produced memorable poetic translations of the poetry of Ksetrayya and Annamacarya.

In 2013, he delivered the prestigious Gonda memorial lecture [instituted in memory of the prolific Indologist Jan Gonda] and the topic was Muttuswami Diksitar - specifically his suite of compositions on Abhayamba of Mayavaram. In the introduction to this essay/lecture, Shulman mentions Pantula Rama as a mentor in matters musical.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Keerthi,
As usual, what a fund of information!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you, Keerthi!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

mahavishnu wrote: 08 Feb 2017, 00:07because I broke out into song at the very same location. Although the music was nowhere as beautiful as Krishna's :)
Very nice! You should let Dr. Shulman know!! :)

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Thank you Mahesh, Keerthi and all others - it was wonderful and enlightening to read all this.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Also of interest in the last Hebrew piece in the concert that follows the Om Tat sat (prayer song which I had long been led to believe that this was composed for Sathya Sai bhajan tradition, but turns out that this is from the Sabarmati Ashram of Mahatma Gandhi).

The Hebrew piece: Hine Mahtov mana'im is a sabbath song that is sung for peace; I believe the last part of Om Tat sat is loosely based in natabhairavi from which he transitions into this hymn (classic minor scale with embellishments). Below is the text copied from Wikipedia.

.הִנֵּה מַה טוֹב = Hine mah tov
Behold how good

וּמַה נָּעִים = uMah-Nayim
and how pleasing

שֶׁבֶת אָחִים גַּם יַחַד = shevet achim gam yachad
if brothers (people) could sit together in unity
(in Hebrew, the masculine also includes the feminine when a mixed group of people are concerned)

----

Back to the musical aspect of this concert...

I have been very impressed by the mridangam playing of the young and talented Thanjavur Praveen Kumar (grandson of T. Upendran and great-grandson of Valangaiman Shanmugasundaram Pillai). Although he was born well after Sri Upendran's passing, he seems to have picked up the family tradition. I believe his guru is Guruvayoor Dorai.

Praveen is also a multi-talented artiste, guitarist and composer. He plays in the same band as Sean Roldan/Raghavendra Rao (Raja Rao's son) and Trichy Pradeep Kumar. He often goes by the stage name Praveen Sparsh.

I really enjoyed his performance in this other TMK video that is making the rounds here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRrFn51i88k (superb violin by Akkarai also).

---------

Arasi: Thank you for your kind words. How I wish I had the time to participate more avidly in discussions here. I have visited Israel on four occasions, mostly to visit collaborators at the Weizmann Institute and elsewhere. And each trip was somehow more spiritual/magical than the other.

Keerthi: Yes, and David Shulman is quite the scholar. Believe it or not, he is a farm boy from Iowa who taught himself Tamil/Telugu/Sanskrit and became who he is today! A truly charming and unassuming person who embodies what a true scholar should be (in my opinion). He happened to get the MacArthur genius award the same year that my doctoral advisor got that award. I have been fortunate to have made his passing acquaintance for the last two decades.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ramesh - thank you for the information.....

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

I'm yet to listen to the music, will do so soon!
This thread is a delight, with Ramesh and Keerthi's inputs.

Mahesh, Thanks for opening the thread!