Lec Dem Music Forum on MMD

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
thanjavooran

Lec Dem Music Forum on MMD

Post by thanjavooran »

Lec Dem on MM Dandapani desikar compositions.

Music forum Sangeetha Lakshana Laskshya Series

05 03 2017 Sunday 10 00 hrs
Venue Arkay Convention Center

Sri Muthukumarasamy Retd Prof of Annamalai University. He was accompanied by Pappu Gyan Dev on Violin and Sathyanarayanan on MMirudhangam.
Shri Chennai Giriraj disciple of the guest was associating on vocal.

The Lec Dem started at 10 05 hrs. Myself and the Guest were first to enter Hall . Some of the interesting points noted are given below.

Angamum Vedhamum Thevaram by Gnanasambandhar in praise of presiding Deity of Thiruchenkattan kudi..
He has chosen this piece since MMD's Birth place.
He belongs to Odhuvar community.
Murugaiya Muthaia Dhandapani is the full name.
His mother was Pappammal and he had only a sister.
From his 9th year he used to sing Thevaram at thirumarugal Kshetram
He performed his first concert at Thiruvarur
His paternal uncle [chithappa] initiated him to Thiruppugazh pannisai.
He was also known as Thirupugazh Dhandapani initially. Poovanur Thambi is the other name.
For formal training when he was taken to Mayilam Vajravelu mudaliar he refused take him as disciple. Later he was taken to Kumbakonam and introduced to Shriman Rajamanickam Pillai who immediately accepted and blessed the boy MMD.
He had training under able care of Kumbakonam Pillai Avl for 4 yrs in Gurukulam.
Later he went to Madurai and had the association of Madurai Mariappa swamiagal and Madurai Ponnusamy pillai the great Nadaswaram Wizard.
He married to Smt Ponnammal of Thirunelveli.
He used to sing Thevaram, Thirupugazh and kritis as menu in all concerts.
At Thiruvaiyaru once during the Aradhana he sang a Tamil piece Siddi vinayagane as invocation and then started St T's krities which ended in a controversy and not accepted by the then holy Artistes. A sacred bath [punyagavachanam] was effected and further proceedings/ concerts were conducted. MMD was telling he sang only Kavikunjara bharathi's song on Lord Ganapathi that went to deaf years.
He will prepare song list based on the theme of the function.
In a Tamil conference he chose to sing Kalai inbame nilai inbama in Hamsadwani by Periyasami Thooran.
He will select songs suitable for the occasion. This ws his motto.
His first composition is Anai mugathone in Deva Manohari.
His entry in to the Silver screen through Mariappa swamigal who recommended him for a role in Cinema.
His first film is Pattinathar and for this he stayed in Chennai for 2 yrs
Vallala Maharaja sponsored him for a decent living.
He married to Devasena a film actress who did few films with MMD as heroine.
Once in Vizakapattinam he sang a Tamil song then switched over to Telugu Kritis to the satisfaction of the the Rasikas.
He was fully conversant with Ganam and nayam of a song.
He sang Jagajanani in a new raga Rathipatahi priya which was appreciated by all.
He encouraged LGJ and in turn he commanded a very high respect from the violin wizard.
LGJ on many occasion openly appreciated his vidwat saying a person from Odhuvar is acquiring accolades.
He has tuned ' Thoodhu nee solli varai ' of Kutrala Kuravanji in Manirangu.

About himself [ Muthukumarasamy] at the age of 3 and half he had debut performance as a child artiste in Siruthondar as Seeralan.
His role model was MKT.
On Madurai Meenakshi Amman, MMD had composed 9 songs.
They are known as Navarathina Keerthanaigal.
These songs were sung at few festivals at Tamil Isai Sangam, KGS and BVB etc as Alavai Ankayarkanni Navaraathina Keerthana Aradhanai .
The ragas handled for these as follows.
Gowla, Arabi Dharmavathi, Saramathi, AmruthaVarshani, Sankarabharanam, Hindolam, Kannada and Kambodhi.

Demos

Andarulvai en annaiye Gowla
Anbukondu ennai aadhari Arabi
Arula vendum Thaye Saramathi
Enai nee mravadhe Amrutha varshani
Matchi Migundha Thaye Hindolam
Adiyenai katharulvai Kambodhi

If you think of Madurai only two names will come to mind. 1 Meenakshi Amman
2 Ponnusami Pillai Nadaswara Vidwan.
In AIR New Delhi an European in charege admired MMD's performance commenting only MMD's voice is Gent's.
MMD took 2 yrs to tune the song of Bharathi dasan Thunbam Nergaiyil. This is because one cannot satisfy this poet.
In praise of MMD , Bharathi Dasan had written 10 poems.
MMD was a strict disciplinarian but very kind.
When himself was fell sick he came to his room and enquired his health.
In the college he used walk a king and will respect him on seeing him.
Even Rajamanickam Pillai used to regard/ respect him on his arrival.
For himself T.K. Subramaniam of Tirunelveli was his sub Guru.
In college competition as a second year student competed with seniors and sang a Tamil song Isaiyin ellaiyai yar kandar in Subapantuvarali and won the first prize for which Judges were TKR, Kumbakonam Rajamanickam Pillai and MMD
During a visit to Bangalore MMD was inspired by Varali kriti Kanda Vaa Vaa learnt it over night and taught to students breaking the barrier Varali should not be taught.
The first Award he got was Isai Arasu from Muthaiya chettiyar and he was known with this only.
In annamalai University students used to be very mischievous because of their age and will never allow vidwans to perform peacefully.
Sirkali and Soolamangalam were made to sing Cine songs in their concerts.
Only MMD's concerts they will remain silently and enjoy the concert.
Once Cine actor Chandra babu was invited for a function. He was not in moods and could not even stand to address the gathering. No doubt he was an expert in western and Indian style of music some how managed the show
In Tamil Isai Sangam MMD was not convinced when he was selected for the Isai Perarignigar Award before Prof Samba moorthi and Rajamanickam pillai. In that year because of his gesture all the three were honored.

Demo
Iyae Metha Kadinam
Maname unakku idhamai
Jagajanani Sukavani Kalyani
Adugiran Kannan Mohanam
Thiruvasagam
Thamarai pootha thadagamadi

The function came to an end at 12 45 hrs.

My observation

It was like a Isai perurai with lot of music and episodes on MMD
Shri Muthukumarasamy is 85 yrs old and managed to perform demo with the very able support of shri Giriraj a prime disciple. Because of his age his voice was not co operating. The violin and mirudhangam justified their presence closely following the concert. There were only 25 Rasikas and Brinda Manicka vasagam the lone vidushi represented the music fraternity. To a Rasikas question it was known that MMD had no children and there is no signature for his 52 compositions.
Dr Sundar was absent for today's programme.
Would have omitted some important points and request for any corrections.

Thanjavooran
05 03 2017

CRama

Re: Lec Dem Music Forum on MMD

Post by CRama »

Thanjavooran, Thanks for your erudite report, as always.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you for that report! I did not know that tAmarai pUtta taDAgamaDi was Sri MMD's composition.
Is the ratipatipriya song jagajjanani SukapAni kalyANi - describing mInAkshi as the one holding a parrot (Suka) in her hand (pANi)....or is it SukavANi - the dEvi's speech is likened to that of a parrot (kIra vANi for example)?

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

I have been all these days thinking and enjoying the music only as Sukha Vani. Your statement appears correct.
Only Shri Lakshman can clarify.
Thanjavooran
06 03 2017

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you, Thanjavooran.
A gentleman musician, composer. His composure and his face mirroring repose and reflection are an indelible part of my childhood memories.

Ravi,
tAmarai pUtha taDAgamaDi, as he sang it, conjured up tranquility even to a youngster :)

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Here is the composer list for all the songs in Thanjavooran's post.

Andarulvai en annaiye Gowla-Dandapani Desikar
Anbukondu ennai aadhari Arabi-Dandapani Desikar
Arula vendum Thaye Saramathi-Dandapani Desikar
Enai nee mravadhe Amrutha varshani-Dandapani DEsikar
Matchi Migundha Thaye Hindolam-Dandapani DEsikar
Adiyenai katharulvai Kambodhi-Dandapani Desikar
yae Metha Kadinam-Gopalakrishna Bharati
Maname unakku idhamai-Gopalakrishna Bharati
Jagajanani Shukapani Kalyani-Ghanam Krishna Iyer
Adugiran Kannan Mohanam-Shuddhananda Bharati
Thiruvasagam
Thamarai pootha thadagamadi-Tiruchi G.Tyagarajan

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Lakshmanji
Many thanks for the additional information.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
O7 03 2017

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

Thanks much Thanjavooran for the nice review.
MMD was one of my favourite vocalists during my school and college days. I still remember his singing in our school in Royapuram (way back in 1948). His singing Thaamarai pootha thadagamadi and Pattukkoru pulavan bharathiyada were memorable. Later I heard him in Hyderabad. That was during Telangana agitation( late 60s or early 70s, I think). Because of the disturbed conditions in the city SICA started its programs at 4.30 so that people could return home early (after a three hour concert). MMD obviously did not know about this. He started as scheduled at 4.30 and went on well past 9 pm (the usual time of ending a concert in Chennai). Not many had their own vehicles in those days. Buses used to be arranged, specially, to pick up and drop at various destination. MMD singing for 5 hours was a blessing indeed!!

sapthagireesan

Post by sapthagireesan »

Just to say that I have actually played a record by MMD of 'Thoodhu Nee Solli Vaaraai, Kutraalathil Poi THOODHU NEE SOLLI VAARAAI, AADHI NAATKKUM PERARKKU THOODHU PONAVANIDAM ETC" many times in my younger days !950s. But now the song is not available in my searches. iF BY CHANCE ANY rASIKA IS HAVING THE SONG I REQUEST IT MAY BE SHARED IN MP3 ON MY E MAIL ID sapthagireesan@gmail.com---Regards ANS

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

The song is "Thoodhu nee solli vaaraai kuttraalariDam, Aadhi naaL sundararkku thoodhu pOnavar mun.."
I was quite sure Sri P Unnikrishnan has sung this in one of his albums. And sure enough, I found :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw7oCb9Gqxs

Hope someone can help you with MMD's rendering.

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Matchi migundha thaaye super composition in Hindolam in chowka kalam.
He is great for identifying a magical ragam Ratipatipriya and composing in it

he has composed a lot of compositions on devi Meenakshi (his ishta devathai could be)

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

Vandanadarini only two main compositions are available
Maname unakk idhamaai MMD
Sudha Madhurya bhashini GNB
no idea who discovered the raga first
first one is more lilting and more challenging to sing than the popular second one (which is also good)