Ramakrishna Murthy for NZCMS, Auckland 19/3/17

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
MV

Ramakrishna Murthy for NZCMS, Auckland 19/3/17

Post by MV »

Vocal - RKM
Violin - Nagai Sriram
Mridangam - Umayalpuram K Sivaraman
Support - Trivandrum Hariharan

1) Sami Daya Kedara Goulai Varnam preceded by viruttam Sadguru
2) Broche vaarevare- Sriranjani (KS)
3) Azhi Mazhai Kanna (R, N @ Vazha Ulaginil)
4) Tholinenuje Kokiladhwani
5) Sukhi Evero-Kanada (R, KS, Thani)
6) Bhogeendra Saayinam
7) RTP Shankarabaranam-Misra Chapu (prompted/requested by UKS Sir)
Kanakasabeshan Darisanam Kanden, Aanandam Konden, Thillai KS in Dhanyasi, Abhogi, Sindhubhairavi and Surutti
8) Idaho Padam Thooki - Khamas
9) Ninyako Ragamalika PD
Ramachandraya

MV

Re: Ramakrishna Murthy for NZCMS, Auckland 19/3/17

Post by MV »

As India went in to bat against Australia in Ranchi, RKM sat down with his team in Auckland. While Pujara carved a mammoth innings to set up a lively test match, RKM's innings was probably the more interesting innings to watch/hear. A delightful young man brought his delightful Music to our shores yet again.

RKM started off with a brisk varnam and led on to Brochevarevare. There were some lovely crisp KS in Sriranjani-TMKesque in parts. The pasuram was a star from start to finish. The highlight was the superb neraval so 'we could also soak in the Varali rain'- 'Naangalum Varali Mazhai Neerada' :) Another brisk Thyagaraja kriti with sharp kalpana swarams brought us to the main-Kanada. It was oh so sweet. The alapanai had many aha moments from both Vocal and Violin.

RTP was sumptuous and I did think the wordy, misra chapu wouldn't leave much room to manoeuvre but the team did well enough. And the words do have a great lilt to it by themselves. The last 2 were requests and RKM ended Khamas with great flair. Nagai Sriram played brilliantly all evening and there were many repartees between him and UKS Sir.

UKS Sir was the star of the evening in many ways. He was introduced grandly and he played even grander. A full 20 minute thani was brilliant as was the one in Mishra Chapu for the RTP. And above all, he was so well-spoken. Very rightly, the concert was summed by local Mridanga Vidwan Dr Suresh who was openly in awe of the great man. It was wonderful to see that admiration come out through spoken word as well and also addressed to his students. UKS Sir followed that up with a rousing speech of his own. We are indeed honoured to have great stalwarts sharing their skill and talent in NZ.

What stood out for me in the whole evening however, was RKM's melodious music. It stood out like a quiet diamond amidst all that glitter. Kudos, yet again!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

👌 "It stood out like a quiet diamond amidst all that glitter."

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Great MV to see your review . I am seeing fairly quick return for RKM to Auckland. How about other places in other parts of NZ.The grasp of Nagai Sriram in returns is superb . UKS sir travelling to NZ is lovely too .

MV

Post by MV »

Hello Rajesh. RKM is actually touring Australia this time. He's flying to Sydney today. We have 2 groups in Auckland, 1 in Wellington and I try and do a couple in Hamilton. Between us, we end up with 5-6 concerts a year. Not everyone can go everywhere but it is still wonderful for all rasikas to have the opportunities. First visit for UKS Sir, great! Nagai Sriram of course has been a few times and never fails.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Excellent! So glad to hear of this event. Sounds like a treat.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

MV - your review reminded me of the lyrical beauty of "naTTa naDu nisiyil paditta nal vayiramaDI" for some reason! Lovely to hear one of my favorite musicians doing well Down Under!

MV

Post by MV »

rshankar wrote: 20 Mar 2017, 17:39 MV - your review reminded me of the lyrical beauty of "naTTa naDu nisiyil paditta nal vayiramaDI" for some reason! Lovely to hear one of my favorite musicians doing well Down Under!
:)

mohan

Post by mohan »

Looking forward to the Sydney concert this Sunday. It is a sell-out!
UKS sir is also giving a lec/dem at a local University on Friday evening.

arasi

Post by arasi »

All the rasikAs in Kangaroo and Kiwi lands seem to be having a great musical time--thanks to fine artistes young and old!

MV, You are a delight of a rasikA. Missed seeing you during my short stay in Chennai...:(

Ravi,
Yes, our friend MV inspires lines from verses! Oh, it is paTTuk karu nIlap puDavai 'paditha' nal vayiram and naTTa naDu nisiyil 'teriyum' naTchathirangaLaDi!

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote: 23 Mar 2017, 08:58Ravi,
Yes, our friend MV inspires lines from verses! Oh, it is paTTuk karu nIlap puDavai 'paditha' nal vayiram and naTTa naDu nisiyil 'teriyum' naTchathirangaLaDi!
Yes, Arasi - that was indeed the inspiration for my 'misquote'.

MV

Post by MV »

arasi wrote: 23 Mar 2017, 08:58 All the rasikAs in Kangaroo and Kiwi lands seem to be having a great musical time--thanks to fine artistes young and old!

MV, You are a delight of a rasikA. Missed seeing you during my short stay in Chennai...:(

Ravi,
You are kind Arasi. Yes missed you Dec 2016, but I didn't go out much anyway-it was family time. I'm hoping to make up by listening to visiting musicians Down Under in 2017 'young and old' :)

maruthidasan

Post by maruthidasan »

Sir nice to see the review of Vidwan Ramakrishna murthy at auckland and UKS sir.
with best wishes v.srinivasan perambur snageetha sabha