VIJAYA SIVA AT AYODHYA MANDAPAM-WEST MAMBALAM-11/4/17

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

VIJAYA SIVA AT AYODHYA MANDAPAM-WEST MAMBALAM-11/4/17

Post by CRama »

Accompanists.
S.Varadarajan-Violin
Manoj Siva-Mridangam
Alathur Rajaganesh-Ganjira. List of songs.

• Sadabalaroopadi-Slokam
• Varalakshmim bhajare-Sourashtram-MD
• Kadaikan vaithennai aalamma-Begada-RS (N,S)
• Anuragamule-Saraswaty-T (R,S)
• Kshitijaramanam-Devagandhari-MD
• Ranidiradu-Manirang-T (R,S)
• Amma Ravamma-Kalyani-T (N)
• Tiruvadi saranam-Kambodi_PS (R,N,S)
• Tani
• Tarunam Idamma-Gowlipantu-SS

As a part of the on going Ramanavami festival, the concert of Vijaya Siva was held yesterday in Ayodhya Mandapam, West Mamabalam. A perfect Sruti aligned voice, perfect enunciation of lyrics, refinement in execution, abundant manodharmam, proportion in all elements of music, sheer intensity of delivery are his attributes which enhances the stature of his concert without fail. His madhyama-durita kala singing reminded me of his Guru DKJ in its energy and sort of overwhelming and sweeping element.

The concert started with the slokam from Subramania Bhujangam followed by the rarely heard kriti of Deekshitar- Varalakshmim bhajare in Sourashtram. The kriti was rfendered in its purest form without any embellishments. The next song Kadai kann vithennai alamma brought the required gusto to the concert. Vijaya Siva created significant momentum in the first two pieces itself as he built the edifice for a super concert to follow. Vijaya Siva sang two charanams for this song.
(1) tanjamenbor tamai nokki sarva bhagyamum undakki chanchalam yavaiyum pokki
(2) santatam pugazhndu Guhadasan manattanbu migha vandanai shei marakatavalliye
I have so far heard only the charanam 2 given above. Neraval on the lines tanjamenbor tamai nokki was done with great bhavam –sahithya bhavam, raga bhavam and laya expertise. Sufficient doses of swarams were icing on the cake. The first ragam of the day was unfolded in the form of Saraswathy. The lone kriti of Tyagaraja in this ragam was presented with emphasis on the sahithyam and sangeetam aspects and liberal swarams appended at the pallavi. This was followed by a leisurely portrayal of the Devagandhari kriti Kshitijaramanam Chintaye. This kriti makes its presence mostly in Ramanavami concerts only. Beautiful kriti presented with elan.

Vijay's stagecraft combines the best elements of the DKJ school with its strong pedagogical roots, adherence to the best techniques for vocal and lyrical enunciation and a vast repertoire of the compositions of the musical trinity, Papanasam Sivan and others. His concert playlists are a testimony to the vast treasure of kritis at his command. Ragam Manirangu was the next choice. In the concert of VS, the raga alapanas are etched along the contours of the ragam so clearly that there is no ambiguity in the raga presented. Here the raga swaroopam was established in the first few flashes and we did not break our heads whether it is Manirang or Pushpalatika or Sree. I expected Mamava Pattabhirama. But he chose Ranidi Radu. No issues as this is also on Rama and it is very rarely heard in the concert stages. A song from the school of Kanchipuram Naina Pillai popularised by DKP/DKJ now in oblivion. Thanks to VS for bringing this song out of hibernation. Sumptous swarams in two kalams with interesting poruthams were highly enjoyable. Vijay allowed one of his disciples to sing a few rounds of swarams- but the mike man was not kind-never gave volume to that mike in spite of repeated directions from VS.

After a breezy Amma ravamma with a few rounds of neraval at Tamarasadalanetri Tyagarajunimitri, Kambodi, the main ragam of the day was unfolded in a systematic manner with its characteristic pidis, stop over at key junctures and gamakams and brighas at appropriate measure to present a magnificent portrait of Kambodi ragam. While I longed for Sree Raghuvaraprameya, Vijaya Siva chose Tiruvadi saranam starting from the Anupallavi. The kriti was presented well with all sangatis in tact. Neraval was done in two kalams at the lines Aduthu vanda ennai tallalaakadu- his manodharmam and raga bhavam complementing each other to solicit many rounds of applause from the huge audience. There were many mandra sthayi sancharams in neraval which are not often heard in Kambodi. The swarams had very interesting permutation combinations and revealed his vidwat.

S.Varadarajan provided excellent support, his scrupulous musicianship bordering the alapanas of Vijay and with the import of subtle nuances he made his raga essays memorable. The neraval and swara returns which called for spontaneity and manodharmam and laya control were reflective of his interpretive ideas totally enhancing the stature of the concert. Manoj Siva always remains as a strong pillar for any concert. His stature, nadam, volume, anticipation, filling of gaps all are at admirable levels and he embellished the concert significantly. Alathur Rajaganesh supported well in the Ganjira and the deft strokes played during Tani were appreciated well by the discerning rasikas. The hall was full and it was a happy sight that nobody left during the concert which is a very rare feature in a temple concert. The intensity of the concert was so much that people simply sat glued to the seats/floor. My sitting with forumite Suresh and in between whispers enhanced listening pleasure. I did not wait for the tail enders. An excellent concert for two hours plus.

Sivaramakrishnan

Re: VIJAYA SIVA AT AYODHYA MANDAPAM-WEST MAMBALAM-11/4/17

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

As I understand from CRama's review, it has been a fine concert.
'Raanidhi' is a very good choice.(Chittoor Subramania Pillai's EP record introduced many rasikas to this kriti. It was a favourite of Neyyattinkara Vasudevan).
'KshitijaaRamanam' also is a good selection.
Very much yes, it would have been most appropriate if 'Sree Raghuvaraaprameya' (or even 'O Rangasaayi') was sung for Kambodhi.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

There was a good post main session. After tarunam eedhamma

1. bhajare manasa, abheri
2. viruttam, bharatha thai, ? danyasi, maand
3. endayum thaayum, bharathiyar, ragamalika, ? bilahari, charukesi, desh
4. bhajan to tune of janagana mana

Brilliant concert all the way!!!

CRama

Post by CRama »

One more thing I wanted to mention. Just as I was approaching the venue, I could hear a very intense and expansive alapana of Sankarabharanam- exactly TNSish. I know it can not be TNS, but some of his sishya. When I went inside, it was Kalyanapuram Arwind. An excellent alapana on the lines of TNS in brighas, long sangatis, voice power and followed by Ethudanilachite with lot of swaras at Nuthuti. I have not heard this vidwan so far except some snatches. Now I have decided to attend one of his concerts very soon.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

Thanks CRama and sureshvv.
sureshvv wrote: 12 Apr 2017, 20:48 3. endayum thaayum, bharathiyar, ragamalika, ? bilahari, charukesi, desh
Patdeep is the missing raga. ;)

HarishankarK

Post by HarishankarK »

"Vijay allowed one of his disciples to sing a few rounds of swarams- but the mike man was not kind-never gave volume to that mike in spite of repeated directions from VS."
Very nice gesture from VS about raising mike volume for student

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Ranidhi Radu is a DKP/DKJ classic

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Vocalist wrote: 13 Apr 2017, 20:10 Patdeep is the missing raga. ;)
Et tu, Vijay Siva? :oops: :evil:

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

melam72 wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 10:45
May be you should listen to patdeep first?

melam72

Post by melam72 »

sureshvv wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 11:24 May be you should listen to patdeep first?
When I go to an Udupi hotel, I expect Dosai-Idli-Vadai-Sambar. Even if they serve the most exquisite Channa Bhatura, it will be detested because it doesn't belong in an Udupi hotel.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

sureshvv wrote: 12 Apr 2017, 20:48 3. endayum thaayum, bharathiyar, ragamalika, ? bilahari, charukesi, desh
melam72 wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 10:45
melam72 wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 11:30
sureshvv wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 11:24 May be you should listen to patdeep first?
When I go to an Udupi hotel, I expect Dosai-Idli-Vadai-Sambar. Even if they serve the most exquisite Channa Bhatura, it will be detested because it doesn't belong in an Udupi hotel.
To be fair, Vijay Siva did not sing this raga to match current contemporary seniors, or in the name of "innovation". The 4-raga combo identified for this composition was popularised by DKP amma; he is just following.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

melam72 wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 11:30

You are just getting distracted/misdirected by the name. Listen to it here

https://soundcloud.com/karnatik/c3522

Tell me if you find anything "Hindustani" about it.

yeshprabhu

Post by yeshprabhu »

I was fortunate enough to have attended Sri Vijaya Siva's concert at the Ayodhya Mantapam, West Mambalam. After a very pleasant Kambodhi alapana, when he began singing "Marpadiyum karuvadaiyum", I wondered: "What kriti is he singing? Something new? Never heard it before." Almost two minutes later, he sang: Tiruvadi sharanam enringu, and I realized that he had started Shree Gopalakrishna Bharathi's wonderful kriti at the anupallavi. And I thought of what the Mahaperiyava of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham, Shre Chandrashekharendra Saraswathi had said to a vocalist, when the vocalist sang Shree Thyagaraja's Saramati raga kriti Mokshamu Galada at the anupallavi, "Saakshaatkaara nee" instead of the Pallavi, "Mokshamu galada". The Mahaperiyava told the vocalist that "One must always sing a kriti the way the composer composed it, and not the way one wished he had composed it! One must always start at the pallavi, and not at the anupallavi." I must say that I was very annoyed when I heard Sri Vijaya Siva singing this kriti, starting at the anupallavi. Is is too difficult to sing a kriti the way the composer composed it? Other than this annoying quirk, however, on the whole, I enjoyed the concert, even though I did not experience "ananda" at this concert. When I experienced ananda for the first time at a Carnatic concert, I was about eight years old. Sice then I have been going from concert to concert, even coming to Chennai for the music season, hoping to experience that ananda again. But, alas, it is so very rare to experience anada these days at concerts. That is because one experiences ananda only when the mind is calm. A good vocalist will sing in such a way as to not excite or thrill the mind, but to calm the mind. After all, that is the purpose of Carnatic music: To give an opportunity to the listener to experience ananda, which is present in our jeeva. These are not my original thoughts or words, by the way; I am only quoting the Mahaperiyava. Shree Thyagaraja has said in his famous Dhanyasi raga kriti, Nee Chittamu : Nee chittamu nischalamu, naa chittamu chanchalamu; when the chanchala mana becomes nischala, very calm and devoid of thoughts, (Thyagaraja uses the words talapulu, in the Poornachandrika raga kriti Telisi Rama chintanato namamu.) I must say that I enjoyed reading your review of this concert.
Yesh Prabhu, Mylapore, Chennai

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

yeshprabhu wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 03:48 I must say that I was very annoyed when I heard Sri Vijaya Siva singing this kriti, starting at the anupallavi. Is is too difficult to sing a kriti the way the composer composed it?
You are entitled to your opinion, however much it may be guided or misguided. But to answer your question: no, the fact that musicians render the krithi starting at the anupallavi line is not due to it being "too difficult" to start at the pallavi line.
yeshprabhu wrote: 16 Apr 2017, 03:48 A good vocalist will sing in such a way as to not excite or thrill the mind, but to calm the mind.
Actually, a good vocalist will be able to do both. How the vocalist sings at any given time will naturally depend upon the circumstances. I don't accept the proposition that Carnatic music should not at any time be rendered in such a way as to excite/thrill the mind.

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Though it is better to start from pallavi, nothing wrong to start from AP. Even Gopalakrishna bharathi's "ennEramum", I have heard Artists start at "TennanchOlai thazhaikkum"

yeshprabhu

Post by yeshprabhu »

Hi Vocalist. Actually, I had only paraphrased the words of the Mahaperiyava Shree Chandrashekharendra Saraswathi. He was an authority not only on Vedas, Shastras and Upanishads; he had deep knowledge of Carnatic music also, and he often talked about the purpose of Carnatic music with many famous and legendary vocalists of the day. He was very fond of Sangeetha Kalanidhi Sri Madurai Mani Iyer's music and talked with him at great length. Sri Mani Iyer later told the Mahaperiyava's words to his senior shishya, Sri T N Bala, who was my Sangeetha acharya for thirthy years. After my lessons, we always had dinner at his home, and we talked about various topics, including his Sangeetha acharya MMI. When Carnatic music is capable of helping a naadopasaka, and rasikas, too, to experience Ananda, why settle for mere thrill and entertainment was his view. You are free to disagree with what the Maha Swami said, but I always try to remember where those words came from: directly from the mouth of a Jnani. Also, when I asked the question: "Is it too difficult to sing a kriti the way the composer composed it?", I was asking it only rhetorically. After all, I am a vocalist myself, and I know that starting a kriti from pallavi is not more difficult than starting with anupallavi.
Yesh Prabhu

yeshprabhu

Post by yeshprabhu »

Hi G S Sastrigal. Yes, many vocalists start some very famous compositions of Sri Thyagaraja, Papanasam Sivan and Gopalakrishnabharathi, at anupallavi or even the charanam. But that does not make it right. A musician must respect the composers and sing the way the composers composed it. If Thyagaraja wanted the vocalists to sing his Devagandhari kriti at "Saakshaatkaara nee", he would have made that the pallavi line. My Sangeetha acharya Sri T N Bala, who has composed more than 400 compositions on Shree Subhramanya, used to get annoyed when a vocalist changed the order of Pallavi and Anupallavi of his compositions. (He was the composer of the very famous kriti Vilaiyada ithu nerama? in Shanmukhapriya raga.) For some reason, vocalists generally do not meddle with Sri Deekshitar's compositions, and they sing the way the great composer composed them. Sri Bala thought that was because Deekshitar's compositions were like mantras or the text of Vedas; one does not generally meddle with mantras or vedic text.
Yesh Prabhu

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Sometimes (blind) devotion gets in the way of our rasanai (intellectual & emotional). Just yesterday I heard this fabulous 3 raga viruttam in Saveri, Madhuvanti & Abhogi that landed with a wonderful emotion laden "Dikku verilkai deena sharanyaney" - the anupallavi of Nekkurugi. I am sure it would have moved even the original composer and Maha Periyava would have aporoved it whole heartedly if he had allowed himself.

And on another note, may be it is okay to "meddle with" mantras since that requires some level of understanding of the mantras first. Sure beats mumbling them without comprehending their meaning or intent.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

yeshprabhu wrote: 22 Apr 2017, 13:10 If Thyagaraja wanted the vocalists to sing his Devagandhari kriti at "Saakshaatkaara nee", he would have made that the pallavi line.
I don't think it is right for any person to assume that Thyagaraja:
  • necessarily composed and sang krithis for the purpose of having others sing them;
  • expected his compositions would be become so "famous" that others would continue to sing his compositions until today; or
  • would not have himself rendered his composition in a different way in current times, let alone permitted his sishyas or other vocalists to render his composition in a different way if he lived until current times.
He might have or he might not have, but there is no benefit in making too many assumptions. That said, in saying this, I assume you meant to say his "Saramathi kriti" rather than his "Devagandhari kriti" above.