Sruthi Sagar @ Naada Inbam, 13 Apr 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
srikant1987

Sruthi Sagar @ Naada Inbam, 13 Apr 2017

Post by srikant1987 »

Sruthi Sagar - Flute
B Ananthakrishnan - Violin
Thanjavur Praveen Kumar - Mridangam
Nerkunam Shankar - Khanjira

inta mODi - sAranga - Adi (sketch)
a song in jOnpuri (?), rUpaka
nI pada pankaja - bEgaDa - Adi - T (R, S @ pallavi)
mAyamma - Ahiri - Adi - SS
sharavaNa bhava (?) - pashupati priya - Adi - Muttaiah Bhagavathar (?)
? - ShaNmukhapriya - khaNDacApu - ? (R, NS)
durusuga - sAVEri - Adi - SS (R, NS @ nArAyaNi)
Asai mugam (?) - jOnpuri (?) - Adi - ?
alarshara paritApam - suraTi - cApu - ST
tiruppugazh in pUrvikalyANi
pavamAna sutuDu - saurAShTra - Adi - T

What a concert it was! It is good that flautists like Sruthi Sagar, KL Kaushik and Shashank learn vocal music and interpret it on flute independently. After Mali, I haven't seen any flute technique which captures vocal music perfectly on the instrument the way many vINa bANis, some nAdaswaram bANis and one or two violin bANis do.

Was good to hear another sAranga on the flute after Jayanth's concert at nAdasurabhi. Do flautists have a special liking for this rAga?

The bEgaDa was absolutely beautiful. Except for one very-long ni somewhere in the caraNam, the kriti interpretation was so very singable.

The mAyamma somehow didn't have that kind of smoothness. A few more jArus here and there would have added so much more fluidity.

The filler came just at the right time. I was thinking, let's maybe have a kuntaLavarALi now? Shankar joined at the pallavi itself, nicely giving more energy. Probably a better-known kriti would have allowed the violinist up it a little more.

The ShaNmukhapriya, though, was somewhat of a bore. The neraval, especially, saw me mostly being kept attentive by Praveen Kumar's superb accompaniment. The swarams here had a few flute-special tALa vyavahAram.

Thankfully, the ShaNmukhapriya was not the main for the day.

The sAvEri rAgam and krti were gripping. It was something like that Harimau describes Trivandrum Venkataraman's music as, here: http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php ... nkataraman However, the kIzhkAla neraval was again a little meh. I personally like neravals anchored to the krti line. They may get a little repititive, but don't go "loose". The kIzhkAla swarams too had some AlApanai-like part with some swara-pattern briga thingies, which Ananthakrishnan followed up nicely. I guess that's something many people really like. :D

Ananthakrishnan kept his AlApanai responses somewhat brief, and traditional. I thought that was a very appropriate response to Sruthi Sagar's bEgaDa and sAvEri, and took the concert forward without hijacking Sruthi Sagar's thoughts.

I really liked how Sruthi Sagar didn't overdo the flautist vyavahAram during swarams: bEgaDa was entirely sarvalaghu, but ShaNmukhapriya and sAvEri swarams struck the delicate balance perfectly.

I felt the tani, especially the beginning (with some shruti issue on the mridangam) did not match up to the expectation set up by the accompaniment. But it became much more engaging later. The final kOrvai was somewhat longer and nice.

The alarshara paritApam was to be heard to be believed. Wow. That was as ARRESTING, CONSUMING even, and as fulfiling as a koNTE gADu. That flat ni (flautists have it easy!) in the pallavi sangati. That ("n")pn(p)m. ... And that prodigal gamaka for ni, kampita all the way to sa, in the pallavi.

A very fulfilling concert. Everyone played wonderfully.

HarishankarK

Re: Sruthi Sagar @ Naada Inbam, 13 Apr 2017

Post by HarishankarK »

No.2 - Avatar am Sheididu veere ??

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Great review. Thanks, Srikant. You introduced me to Sruthi Sagar years ago, and I've always been impressed by his concise and fluent music. Would love to hear him live sometime.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

bilahari wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 07:33 Great review. Thanks, Srikant. You introduced me to Sruthi Sagar years ago, and I've always been impressed by his concise and fluent music. Would love to hear him live sometime.
You really must; I attended one live in December - it was out of this world!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Ah, I hope he tours the States. I'm grateful to Parivadini for the bulk of my exposure to his music.

At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I generally appreciate instrumental CM more than I do vocal: there is greater adherence to shruti, a better/more uniform tone, and the music is less cluttered. I appreciate vocal music more in HM.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

bilahari wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 07:48 At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I generally appreciate instrumental CM more than I do vocal
:mrgreen: I'm generally the opposite - which is what makes it all the more surprising that I prefer listening to him playing the flute over most of the current generation instrumentalists (and vocalists for that matter).

Unfortunately, I think it is a bit unlikely we will see him outside of India for some time at least; he is quite religious and it seems he has said that overseas travel is not encouraged by the sasthras so he has largely stopped. :(

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

bilahari wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 07:48
At the risk of sounding blasphemous, I generally appreciate instrumental CM more than I do vocal:
I have the same preference but only with some select, one handful, of instrumentalists. Sruthi Sagar is definitely one of them.

Incidentally Sruthi has the rare distinction of winning Best Classical Instrumentalist 4 years in a row during his college years at the Annual Saarang festival.
Last edited by sureshvv on 14 Apr 2017, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

srikant1987 wrote: 13 Apr 2017, 23:45 ? - ShaNmukhapriya - khaNDacApu - ? (R, NS)

Asai mugam (?) - jOnpuri (?) - Adi - ?

tiruppugazh in pUrvikalyANi
I wonder if the Shanmukhapriya was Pamalai Shoodiye composed by Thanjavoor Shankara Iyer?

Asai Mugam is composed by Subramania Bharathiyar, which I expect is what he rendered, and I expect the Tiruppugazh was Marukkulaviya.
HarishankarK wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 04:49 No.2 - Avatar am Sheididu veere ??
I don't think that is in Rupakam?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It was a superb concert, and very much enhanced by the accompanists.

Praveen Kumar not only knows how to play soft, but also how to vary the dynamics, giving gentle increase of volume. It is a rare skill.

Ananthakrishnan's violin was, sometimes, so soft and subtle as to be barely audible --- in very much the right kind of way. This particularly applies to his accompaniment of alapana: so gentle!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

sureshvv wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 10:01 I have the same preference but only with some select, one handful, of instrumentalists.
True. Instrumentalists are plagued by many of the same problems as vocalists: not paying enough attention to the instrument of sound production, adherence to shruti, judicious use of gamakams (especially vibrato--one of my pet peeves). That said, I also find poor vocal music to be generally more bearable than poor instrumental music.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

srikant1987,
Nice review. Must have been a great concert.
Sruti Sagar has been adopting a pitch of 4.5 or 5 these days offering a near impact of (TR) Maali who never played below 'H' Kattai. Hopefully Sagar played at a high pitch in this concert too.

(I would suggest all artists announce the pitch in the beginning of the concert. It's something not very easy for rasikas to guess. And it has a significance)

For several years now, I have been observing that the pitch used by flautists in general does not cross 2.5. Most flautists who claim to belong to the sishyaparamapara of Mali do not play at high pitch for reasons best known to them. Vidwans who employ a dozen lutes on the stage must be actually wondering how Mali worked wonders with a single bamboo piece covering all the octaves with equal ease and distinctiveness.

It's said, unless the accompanying sishyas/artits insisted, he didn't even bother to carry a separate kit for the tiny instrument and it would be just a part of the 'Thunimani' in his baggage!

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Another aspect that I have observed is that the entire concert is played using a single flute and you don't miss the other sized flutes which other flautists flaunt with great ceremony ;)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Ha! Said exactly the same to my wife in the car afterwards. It is not that we did not enjoy the extended range of Jayanth's suite of instruments, a few days before: that is great in its own way. But SS accomplishes just as much with just one.

shibi

Post by shibi »

I was really looking forward to listen to this kutcheri from far away Columbia, Missouri. Unfortunate that this was not telecast by Parivadini. The combination of Sruthi Sagar and Thanjavur Praveen Kumar seems to have been beautiful. (I was amazed at the softness and sensitivity with which TPK has played for several Veena kutcheris.) At the risk of starting a debate (which I don't intend to) the sowkhyam aspect of Carnatic music seems to have departed with KVN. Technical mastery and aesthetic exploration are one thing but striking an emotional chord (even with a simple song sung beautifully) with the listener should be, IMHO an important aspect of Carnatic music.

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Rightly said, shibi.

sankark

Post by sankark »

shibi wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 22:38 At the risk of starting a debate (which I don't intend to) the sowkhyam aspect of Carnatic music seems to have departed with KVN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgIXFrdl8Wk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qratlHJvLn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2g8Pw8B2BA

sankark

Post by sankark »

sureshvv wrote: 15 Apr 2017, 19:07 https://youtu.be/3t_Y6IEWlG4
Slap. That's the sound of me hitting myself, rather forcefully. Heading right away for her parampara outing in Jan 2017. Nidhanam & Sowkyam. Thanks sureshvv.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Sruthi Sagar certainly is a brilliant artist , I could aurally notice a lot of blowing power. ONe thing that usually happens is sruthisagar pairs with sister keerthana and I personally donot like that pairing (flute does not go with vocal at all). However it appears the lack of performing opportunities is the reason for at times this pairing , moving forward would love to hear more and more single flute concerts.