T.M.KRISHNA IN AYODHYA MANDAPAM-WEST MAMBALAM-18/4/17

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
CRama

T.M.KRISHNA IN AYODHYA MANDAPAM-WEST MAMBALAM-18/4/17

Post by CRama »

The musical expressions of T.M.Krishna was held as a part of the on going Ramanavami Celebrations. This concert was expected to be a fitting finale for the fortnight long music concerts- but it didn’t happen like that. Dr.R.Hemalatha on the Violin, Melakkaveri Balaji on the Mridangam and Anirudh Athreya on the Ganjira provided commendable support. List of songs.
• Tanam-Kharaharapriya
• Appan Avatharitha- Kharaharapriya-PS (N,S)
• Kaligiyuntegada-Keeravani-T (R,N)
• Begada-Violin alapana
• Pannen unakkana poojai-Virutham-Begada
• Athana-Violin alapana
• Sree Kumaranagaralaye-ST(S)
• Jamboopathe-Yamunakalyani-MD(N)
• Tanam-Poornachandrika
• Tillana-Poornachandrika (S)
• Tani
• Theerthavithala-Behag (PD)

When any seasoned rasika goes for a TMK programme, he goes well prepared to take up surprises- even aberrations and do fervently hope that there may be some desirable takeaways in spite of the aberrations. Many times, I have heard very good music from him in spite of varying degrees of aberrations. But this one was not to be like that. When I reached the venue at 6.15 P.M, for the concert at 7.00 P.M, the venue was full- both chairs and floor and that shows the popularity TMK commands among music lovers and the expectations of the people from TMK. They have left all their preoccupations and came and sitting on the floor waiting to hear the captivating music that TMK is capable of giving. But alas, TMK is not concerned about the expectations of the thousands of rasikas who have gathered to hear his music.

TMK started with the tanam in Kharaharapriya. We are quite used to it and conditioned ourselves to enjoy the tanam due to his astounding imagination, voice power and do hope that he will give us a good song succeeding the tanam. This being the Ramanavami festival, it is in the fitness of things that I expected a kriti on Rama when Tyagaraja has bequethed a large treasure of kritis on Rama in his favourite ragam Kharaharapriya. Even Papanasam Divan also has composed song on Rama in this ragam. But the tanam was followed by the song Appan Avatharitha kathamritham- a song popularised by his Guru Semmangudi and sung immaculately by the great doyen in many concerts. But I will say, this song was a misfit for today’s concert. Neraval on the lines Mohini vadivukol malar kannan azhagil moham kondu kalanthan mukkannan and a few rounds of swarams were attempted. This was followed by an elaborate alapana of ragam Keeravani. Nobody will take up this combo- as both are adjoining melakartas. But TMK executed the alapana elaborately for about seven minutes with aplomb. Kalikiyuntegada was presented- the lone saving grace for Ramanavami. He also presented a brief neraval at Bahuga sree raghuramuni padyayuga and ended with that.

Now TMK signalled Dr.Hemalatha and she presented a beautiful alapana of Begada for four minutes. I was expecting a grand kriti-like Nadopasana or Thyagarajaya Namaste. But again TMK gave a surprise. He sang a virutham in Begada- Pannen unakkana poojai. I don’t know who is the composer or what is this virutham. But it was presented nicely with his manodharmam and voice power coming to his rescue. Again on getting a cue from TMK, Dr.Hemalatha presented a brief alapana of ragam Athana. The Swati Tirunal kriti Sree Kumaranagaralaye followed and a few bouts of swarams presented at the lines Mandahaasaruchi. Next came TMK’s trump card piece Jamboopathe which was presented in a sedate manner. This song took 15 minutes including a brief neraval at Anirvachaneeya atmabandho. I should say all the songs were presented in a uniform leisurely pace only.

Next TMK presented tanam in the ragam Poornachandrika followed by the thillana in that ragam. Elaborate kalpana swarams were done at the charanam line. This was followed by the tani. After the tani, the Purandaradasa kriti Teerthavithala came in Behag. I left at that time. It was 9.20 P.M already.

I felt disappointed for many reasons. First, the selection of songs for a Ramanavami concert in a temple with the undisputable bhakthi aura prevailing in the venue. Had he presented a grand kriti in Begada after the alapana by Dr.Hemaltha, it would have lifted the intrinsic value of the concert. Second, when I go for a TMK or Abhishek concert, I expect the alapanas from the vocalist. No great violinist can substitute that experience. In this concert of two hours plus, there was only one alapana by TMK. And I am not putting forth my views because of any prejudice against him. I could hear many elders airing similar views to their neighbours/friends. In the concert of Vijaya Siva which I attended in the same venue, not a single person left in the middle of the concert. In this concert, many people started leaving at various stages of the concert.

Dr.Hemalatha, his violin partner, remained a solid support for TMK. Her vidwat combined with long experience and sweetness of bowing was evident in the amazing alapanas and also during the swara returns. The alapana of Begada was simply great, with appropriate thick and thin shades, meditative as well as engaging phrases which TMK greatly appreciated and enjoyed. Melakkaveri Balaji highly embellished the concert with his deft strokes and power packed drumming. The volume was appropriate- not caressing or banging. His anticipation was good, his filling of gaps was always interesting and he received lot of appreciation from TMK. Anirudh Athreya also partnered with Balaji in embellishing the concert significantly. The thani of 20 minutes had many exciting moments and was much appreciated by the audience. A concert that will not remain in memory for even a short period.

thanjavooran

Re: T.M.KRISHNA IN AYODHYA MANDAPAM-WEST MAMBALAM-18/4/17

Post by thanjavooran »

CRama,
Thanx for the detailed write up. For me no disappointment. Only when there is a deviation from his standard I get upset. Ok. Really begada of Dr H one should enjoy. If time permits visit PSS series also.
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
19 04 2017

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

with tmk's standard, don't expect any keerthanas on rama.. glad that hemalatha got chance to do alapanas... must have been some relief on audience..

Agree with CRama that temple concerts might need separate planning from sabha concert... taking audience and moot into considerations..

TMK also sang in Kapali temple previous day.. any reviews from there ?

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

pattamaa wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 12:50 with tmk's standard, don't expect any keerthanas on rama..

TMK also sang in Kapali temple previous day.. any reviews from there ?

In Ayodhya Mandapam concert he started with a tanam and ended with a thukkada.

In Kapali temple he would have started with a thukkada and ended up with a tanam :lol: :lol: :lol:

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

ram 1999

You have high expectation. !!!

I heard, he gave another "stellar" sloooow concert.

He sang "mathE malayatwaja" as last song.
He took "behAg" as main and started "irakkam varAmal pOnathenna" -----

இரக்கம் வாராமல் போனதென்ன காரணம்------because of his way of singing !!!!!

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

The concert at kapali koil was a beautiful one. And the songs were all in praise of Shiva, except Mathe which of course was appropriate too. The leisurely tempo is what we hear TMK sing mostly these days so it was not any disappointment. In fact it increases the musical experience for many.

The songs were : (I did not take down notes so may have missed some details and a song)
Sadachaleshvaram - Bhupalam (N S in some lines of the Charanam)
Mohamana en meedhu - Bhairavi (R)
Irakkam varamal (R)
Mathe Malayadhvaja -Khamas
Varugalamo (Brief R by Dr Hemalatha)

Purist

Post by Purist »

Krishna lives upto his name as always -'Theriya Mudayadha Krishna" :)

hema

Post by hema »

Rajani wrote: 20 Apr 2017, 14:27 The concert at kapali koil was a beautiful one. And the songs were all in praise of Shiva, except Mathe which of course was appropriate too. The leisurely tempo is what we hear TMK sing mostly these days so it was not any disappointment. In fact it increases the musical experience for many.

The songs were : (I did not take down notes so may have missed some details and a song)
Sadachaleshvaram - Bhupalam (N S in some lines of the Charanam)
Mohamana en meedhu - Bhairavi (R)
Irakkam varamal (R)
Mathe Malayadhvaja -Khamas
Varugalamo (Brief R by Dr Hemalatha)
The Bhairavi had two ragamaalika caranams -- kalyani (?), kambhoji (?), mohanam (?)
Yes, I enjoyed the concert very much. There was also an Atana with a viruttam (the words were beautiful -- I wonder if this is a verse by
Perumal Murugan) followed by Tiruvathiyoor tyagaraja .. before Varugalamo

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Thank you very much Hema, for completing the list. How could I forget Tiruvottiyur Tyagarajan ?

But I beg to differ on the Viruttam (tayum illai thandai illai). I find these words of Perumal Murugan (of this stanza and some others I have heard TMK sing elsewhere) really mediocre. I feel even the basics like ethugai-mOnai which one'd expect in a verse were not in place. And more importantly the distress conveyed does not rise to the level of a Rasa and sounds childishly resentful and bitter. My opinion of course.

hema

Post by hema »

Well, I am no Tamil pundit but I do like Perumal Murugan's writing. I do not know if you have read his book "Seasons of the Palm (translated by V Geetha)." Yes, they are sad. One has to get into his shoes, or the shoes of the protagonists of his novels. Having read quite a bit of "dalit literature," I do feel ashamed of the atrocities that have been committed by the "upper castes." Well, many of "nandanar charitam" have similar meanings. I do get tears when I listen to "varugalamo." The difference is that "Gopalakrishna Bharathi" was also perhaps a musician. TMK in my opinion gave life to the verse. I found this viruttam topical and contemporary -- again MY opinion:-)

Rajani

Post by Rajani »

Thanks a lot Hema. Nice to read your thoughts and the context you have provided. I too have read some of his prose and liked it.

yeshprabhu

Post by yeshprabhu »

Hi CRama. You wrote that you left after Sri TMK sang the Purandaradasa kriti in Behag. The concert was almost over then. He only sang Shree Deekshitar's kriti in Tarangini raga (Mela 26) : Maaye tvam yaahi. He sang no mangalam. This concert did not touch me as much as his concert the previous day at Shree Kapaleeshwar Temple. At that concert I felt "Ananda", which I experience very rarely these days at concerts. There was a huge mob at the temple; the crowd was even bigger than the one at the Ayodhya Mantapam. And he did not disappoint the rasikas. Because no one has written a detailed review of his concert at the Kapaleeshwar Temple, I think I will write one: My first concert review at this website!
Yesh Prabhu