TNS Krishna @ Indira Nagar Sangeetha Sabha

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
parivadini

TNS Krishna @ Indira Nagar Sangeetha Sabha

Post by parivadini »

Madurai TNS Krishna, Shertalai Shivakumar, Vijay Natesan, Guruprasanna

22nd Apr 2017

Approx. Song LIst

Viriboni - Bhairavi (O,S)
Shakti Ganapathim - Nattai (S)
Marivere Dikkevaraiya - Shanmukapriya (R,N,S)
Sankari shankuru - Saveri (Slokam)
Naninna dhayana - Kanada (O)
Yaare Rangana - Hindolam (O)
Akshaya linga - Shankarabaranam (R,N,S,T)

Had to leave after the thani.

Fantastic concert that show cased abundant energy and creativity of TNS Krishna. The magnum opus varnam's rendition had several unique aethetic yet mathematically rich exploration (in tisram and chatusram with the three speeds sprinkled in beautifully). The song selection consisted of mostly tried and tested TNS hits. TNSK has a charming way to present swaras that have beautiful and often tough to guess endings (poruttams). This he combines with his strong hold on laya to create multiple patterns that are musically rich and keeps the audience engaged. His kalpana swaras stood out in all the ragas that he chose to sing in (Although I thought the kalpana swaras after elaborate exploration of the bhairavi varnam was a little redundant).

Slokam in saveri and the elaborate shankarabaranam with a fleeting grahabedam to kalyani and a more elaborate grahabedam to thodi were delectable. I thought back to back kannada songs after saveri dropped the intensity down a little bit. That said, those two were the ones that garnered maximum applause. It could have been just me.

The Percussion duo were fantastic throughout the concert. Their Thani had several aha moments with plenty of fire works.

Since it was a three hours concert, and knowing TNSK's appetite to sing longer concerts, I was hoping for a pallavi. But it took almost three hours for the song list mentioned above. I'm guessing he would have wrapped up the concert with a few thukkadas.

Sivaramakrishnan

Re: TNS Krishna @ Indira Nagar Sangeetha Sabha

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Telling review. Krishna has a great potential.
TNSK has duly inherited the energy levels and an unending quest to explore laya from TNS. But long drawn exercises in kalpanaswaras may not impress the less equipped lay rasika who would but wholeheartedly join the applause at the eduppus!
I do admire the music of TNSK for its Gaambheeryam.