Sunil Gargyan @ Selaiyur 28.04.2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
Sivaramakrishnan

Sunil Gargyan @ Selaiyur 28.04.2017

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Sree Seetharama Bhakta Samajam (Ramanavami Mahotsavam)
Rajeswari Nagar, Selaiyur (Tambaram), Chennai
07.15- 09.30 p.m.

Artists:
Sunil Gargyan-vocal
M A Sundareswaran-Violin
B Ganapathiraman -Mridangam
Harihara subramaniam - Ghatam

Sruti (pitch): D (2.0 kattai) : Tambura & e sruti box

Ragas & Kritis:
1. Nayaki- Varnam – Sarasijakshi- Khanda Triputa
2. Jaganmohini-Sobhillu saptaswara-Rupaka-Tyagaraja-(S)
3. Brindavana saranga-Soundara raajam- Rupaka- Dikshitar (R)
4. Amrutavarshini-Veyyonoli-Ramanatakam-Aadi (Tisra gati)
5. Varamu- Saagaavaram arulvaai- Bharathiyar- Misra (Viloma) chapu (R,S)
6. Kannada- Ninnada- Aadi T (S)
7. Poorvikalyani- Paramapavana Rama- Ramanathapuram S Iyengar (R,N,S)
followed by Tani & felicitation of artists.
8. Hamsanadam- Varutthumpuravirul ( Ramanujar Nootrandaadhi)- Thiruvaranagath Amudanaar-Aadi(misra nadai)
9. Natakurinji- Thiruppugazh
10. Mangalam

I was given to understand that the Samajam, founded by Sri Yagnaswamy and Sri Chakrapani is into its 43rd year of Ramanavami celebrations in 2017 under the dedicated initiative of Sri. Krishnaswamy Iyengar. The month long programmes consist of religious discourses and other festivities apart from music concerts. The atmosphere too is solemn and congenial for cultural events.

The above concert by the young and up-coming Sunil, a long time disciple of P S Narayanaswami was a good one. The varnam (not an easy one to internalise) and Shobhillu gave the right ambience for a leisurely alapana of Brindavansaranga. The grand composition - Soundara Rajam- was rendered with care. The Ramanataka kriti which followed suited the Ramanavami aura.

The not-so-commonly heard kriti in Varamu, a favourite of TNS was rendered with an impressive delineation of the raga. Use of madhyama sruti for this panchama-varjya raga seemed to gel well. The swaraprastaras for the viloma chapu was interesting with the added complement of swaraaksharas (‘Saa Gaa’). I gathered that Sunil learnt this kriti from T N Seshagopalan himself. Sundareswaran reveled both in aalaapana and kalpanaswaras giving a pep to the singer.

Poorvikalyani was the ‘main’ and in the alapana Sunil traversed up to the taara panchamam without aberration. The TNS approach was in abundance here too. The neraval and swaraprastara were at ‘Kanakaambaradhara’. I have observed that ‘Paramapavana’ of Poochi Iyengar is a much welcome kriti in Ramanavami concerts.

Tani by B Ganapathiraman and Hariharasubramaniam maintained the usual pomp of a percussion slot.

The Tukkada segment had a unique Ramanujar Nootrandadhi and a customary Tiruppugazh.

Though there was a reasonably good audience, being a pucca residential area, I felt attendance could be still more. This would give much encouragement to artists as well as the organisers.

rajeshnat

Re: Sunil Gargyan @ Selaiyur 28.04.2017

Post by rajeshnat »

Sivaramakrishnan wrote: 30 Apr 2017, 11:49
4. Amrutavarshini-Veyyonoli-Ramanatakam-Aadi (Tisra gati)
I just googled to find that the above number was also popularized by mahavidwan TNS. Nice to hear a review from selaiyur , i think this forum is having its first strike from selaiyuyr. Keep them coming SRK , looks you and your cm buddy are heading with the poorvikalyani main wherever you went.

arasi

Post by arasi »

'veyyOnoLi tan' is from Kamba rAmAyaNam.
Enchanting lines. The word 'ayyO!' is elevated here when kamban exclaims: aiyO! How can I even begin to describe RAmA's beauty...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote: 01 May 2017, 08:30 How can I even begin to describe RAmA's beauty...
Arasi, thanks for that clarification. It did not appear to be one of Arunachala Kavirayar's rAmanATaka kRtis.

Like Kamban, Tulsidas was also stumped when trying to describe rAma's beauty, and ends up by saying "raghuvar chabi kE samAn raghuvar chabi baniyA" - and in the spirit of divine union, Arunachala Kavi says of sItA's beauty - "avaLukkavaLE jODu"!

pperumal

Post by pperumal »

Is Sunil Gargyan a student of Sri PSN or Sri TNS?
Either way, from what I have heard him, he is definitely a "TNS Bhakta" :)
I would advise caution to the youngster if he follows TNS.
Except for his son, there has been no "success story" of a TNS shishya singing in the TNS baani.
Neyveli Santhanagopalan, who was a TNS clone till the mid 90s, steered away from it and evolved a separate style of his own.
Another very capable musician Kasturirangan is not very popular in the concert circuit.

- PP.