T M Krishna in Concert

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
hnbhagavan

T M Krishna in Concert

Post by hnbhagavan »

I came across an excellent recently held concert of Sri T M Krishna.

Melody at its sweet best.No one can come any where near him.The Softness of percussion and slow tempo moved my heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj9H97cxYp8

bhakthim dehi

Re: T M Krishna in Concert

Post by bhakthim dehi »

very good concert. Missing sahityam even after referring to his notes!!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

please elaborate.Perhaps my feelings as ordinary rasika!

bhakthim dehi

Post by bhakthim dehi »

In the krithi Soundarrajam, he forgets a line in charanam. Ambudhi garva nigraham is the line to be sung after amareshaadhi sannutham. He forgets that and sings something which does not even makes sense.
This can be accepted atleast if he doesn't have notes (personally I am not comfortable seeing notes during a concert). He refers his notes frequently and commits this mistake. How many times he would ve sung this krithi? Can't he make an attempt at least to spell some words which can makes sense?
This shows his attitude"enma venumnaalum pannuven. Kekarathuku yaar iruka? "

Instead of commenting the sahitya of great composers without considering their time period, various canonical texts which were base for their compositions, he can try giving some quality music!!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

I compared with TN Seshagopalan's version and what u have concluded looks to be correct.
Second time he has sung Ambudigarva nigraham after amareshadhi sannutham.The very first time he substituted with new words.
Last edited by hnbhagavan on 08 May 2017, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

bhakthim dehi

Post by bhakthim dehi »

I have even mentioned the exact time in the comment section for that you tube video.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

No mridangam,
Vittal Ramamurthi - Violin
N Guruprasad - Ghatam
B S Purushothaman [?] - Kanjira

O Rangasayi - Kambodhi [NS]
Anandha Bhairavi Ragam
Anandha Bhairavi / Begada / Hamir Kalyani / Devaghandari / Salaga Bhairavi / Sindhu Bhairvai - Thanam
Porambokku - above 6 ragas
Soundararajam - Brindavana Saranga [S]
Thani in Adi thalam
Janakipathe - Karakarapriya [S @ Sakala] [Picked up anu pallavi from the end of the thani]
Virutham - Shankarabaranam / Thodi / Bilahari / Mayamalavagowla - Perumal Murugan
Bengali Song - What raga is this?

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

MaheshS wrote: 08 May 2017, 17:38 Porambokku - above 6 ragas
Pardon my ignorance!! what is that????

Thalaivarda

Post by Thalaivarda »

Thats his new song. check YouTube.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

In the attempt to sing in vilambakalam, at many places there are sruti lapses and loss of kalapramanam.
It does look very artificial !

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

Thalaivarda wrote: 08 May 2017, 18:42 Thats his new song. check YouTube.
A song composed by modern trinity :D

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

The last song is in Yaman:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25588&hilit=basundhara

It is not the first time that I have noticed that Thodur Madabusi almost always picks the light items right out of MSS's repertoire. It is a fail-safe technique.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Duplicate

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

semmu86 wrote: 08 May 2017, 18:03
MaheshS wrote: 08 May 2017, 17:38 Porambokku - above 6 ragas
Pardon my ignorance!! what is that????
Check it out on YouTube!. In the above concert he mentions that the tune was set by R K Sriramkumar.

arasi

Post by arasi »

The britishers called it by a name sounding like Pembroke. In tamizh it is puRam pOKKu புறம் போக்கு, isn't it?

yeshprabhu

Post by yeshprabhu »

hnbhagavan wrote: 07 May 2017, 10:34 I came across an excellent recently held concert of Sri T M Krishna.

Melody at its sweet best.No one can come any where near him.The Softness of percussion and slow tempo moved my heart.

I watched the video on YouTube, and I was so touched by his singing that I was inspired to write a comment on YouTube. Here is that comment, which I have revised slightly:

Two years ago, at the Shastri Hall, Mylapore, when I heard Shree TMK sing an elaborate Pantuvarali alapana dripping sowkhya bhaava, my mind became so calm that I experienced Ananda, and I wept. Experiencing ananda at Carnatic concerts happens to me so very rarely these days because an overwhelming number of vocalists sing in such a way as to excite and thrill the rasikas' mind and be suitably rewarded with loud applause. Shree TMK does quite the opposite: He calms their mind. One experiences ananda only when the mind is very calm, and never when the mind is excited. After the concert I felt so blissfully happy that I proclaimed,"It is not possible to sing better than this." After that concert I felt ananda again at three other TMK concerts, and I said each time, "It is not possible to sing better than this!" And here I am, after listening to this video, saying the same thing, again, "It is not humanly possible to sing better than this!". It seems like at each successive concert, Sri TMK reveals a "new and improved version" of himself. And, as a result of his refined singing, through relentless sadhana, he has transformed "Aahatha" music that one hears at all the sabhas, into "Anaahatha" music that our shastras say only Kinneras and Gandharvas, and Devas and Devathas, hear in swarga loka. What we hear in this video, I think, is not ordinary Carnatic music: It is the extraordinary celestial music. As a Carnatic vocalist myself, I do not know how he does it, but our Puranas and Shastras say that through dedicated Sangeetha Upanasa, it is possible to accomplish that, even though only a few have succeeded, I think, in the last hundred years! Sri TMK is one of them. The way he sang Shree Deekshitar's Brindavana saranga kriti, Soundara raajam upasmahe, is certainly not from our Earth, but it came down from the firmament, "Antariksha", with the Deva's blessings. (Oh, I know TMK said that he does not believe in God, but I do). Any way, I think he is in a class by himself. Have you ever flown in a plane, and looked out of the window when the plane reaches 35,000 feet high? There is just the plane, above the clouds, and nothing else is around: That is Sri TMK. Alone. All by himself. And no one else to compare him to, except perhaps to Narada himself. Yes, he forgot a line for a while, and there was a slight problem with the kaalapramana at the very end of the Brindavanasaranga krithi because he sang it at ati-vilamba kaala, but in spite of that, it was a great, unforgettable concert. I have the habit of talking with musicians after the concert, and also whenever I have an opportunity to talk to them, when I see them at sabhas, not just vocalists but accompanists, too. A very famous and top violinist who has accompanied all time great vocalists told me that "Every one makes mistakes on the concert stage". He should know: He has accompanied MS, Semmangudi, TNS, TMK, and many others. Yes, every one makes mistakes because we are human. Many great vocalists have forgotten lyrics on concert stage: I have witnessed it. Only God, I think, is flawless: And there are people who dispute even that, saying god is not flawless!
Yesh Prabhu, Mylapore, Chennai

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

yeshprabhu wrote: 09 May 2017, 11:46
hnbhagavan wrote: 07 May 2017, 10:34 I came across an excellent recently held concert of Sri T M Krishna.

I watched the video on YouTube, and I was so touched by his singing that I was inspired to write a comment on YouTube. Here is that comment, which I have revised slightly:

Two years ago, at the Shastri Hall, Mylapore, .....
very well written ...

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Seen the views of experts in CM.I felt overall the concert was excellent not withstanding the lapses pointed out.As Yesh prabhu has put it perhaps when on the stage temporary lapse such as forgetting a line in sahitya or missing a beat may happen.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Yeshprabhu
When some one sings a song with anupallavi and goes to charanam , you cite kanchi paramacharya and it does not suit you. I guess you are okay with TMK approach of singing an alapana in one raga than singing another krithi in another raga . I guess the sage kanchi acharya is not there to witness TMK shuffle and orphaning krithis so you are ok with TMK approach.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Folks,
My own assessment is that TMK is the #1 topic trending in rasikas.org as well as You Tube Carnatic apart from the Hindu.
It augurs well for his future.

Meanwhile, the more I listen to his music (and enjoy it 👍), and the more I read his obiter dicta (and reject it 👎), I feel he has come to represent a phenomenon mentioned often in our puranas.

A man acquires a special siddhi (vilambakala Carnatic singing to charm and win over listeners) - through merit and sadhana/tapas- which makes him immensely powerful. But as God intended for everything in this world, every such phenomenon is self-limiting unless surrendered to the Universal good, and finally ends itself through a deviancy, distortion, and/or demoniac tendency, inviting upon itself destruction. Generally it is ego and a recklessness that manifests as disrespect for people and tradition and God. TMK has this already.

Democracy and popularity on Facebook, Youtube etc. does not replace Natural Law. Let's sit back and watch the fun.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Oh gosh, Sachi!
Now, we have to go search the purANAs for a character that describes YOU! The catch is, you alone perhaps have the knack to bring one such to mind! Meanwhile, I would live with sat chit AnandA, friend ;) God bless!

Ravi,
Why didn't I think of you!

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Rsachi

Things will take its own course.Presently TMK does feel that his approach has been received well by the Rasikas.This is my judgement based on the crowd in his recent concerts.I have also seen people cutting jokes as to which type of song he sings next.The wildest joke is that he may start with Mangalam and end with a varnam.
He has made very egoistic statements on stage that he is the boss and he has the right to take decisions.
Too much Vilamba kala for all songs is not the right approach.If you listen to MDR,Vilambakala comes naturally to him,but one can see the effort put by TMK for this.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Arasi,
I was talking of special people. I am excluded, for sure 😶

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

hnbhagavan wrote: 10 May 2017, 09:15 If you listen to MDR,Vilambakala comes naturally to him,but one can see the effort put by TMK for this.
Well put.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote: 10 May 2017, 08:29Ravi, Why didn't I think of you!
I'd rather sit this one out... :)

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Generally TMK has very good accompanying artists of the present generation.Hence the concerts drag on.Some times a musician has to hold on his own with average accompaniments.In concerts i have attended more than 50% will be violin.Mridangam and other instruments just participate some times.

Always_Evolving

Post by Always_Evolving »

rajeshnat wrote: 10 May 2017, 04:52 Yeshprabhu
When some one sings a song with anupallavi and goes to charanam , you cite kanchi paramacharya and it does not suit you. I guess you are okay with TMK approach of singing an alapana in one raga than singing another krithi in another raga . I guess the sage kanchi acharya is not there to witness TMK shuffle and orphaning krithis so you are ok with TMK approach.
Hi Rajesh
These two are not the same issue, and there is no contradiction to be resolved here.

I see (and enjoy) many musicians start krtis at anupallavi. Yet I can see the point of the paramacarya, not to mess with the structure of pre-composed works. YP happens to agree with him.

Whereas the concert flow in a certain way -- singing alapana, krti in the same raga is a convention; no one holds its IPR. YeshPrabhu , you or me can like or not a particular flow on a particular day.

--Radhika

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

IPR aside (not sure how that applies here), both these are examples of "creative license". The artiste is exercising his creative right to interpret a pre-existing work or format. In that sense, one can certainly discuss both together and see how they compare in their excess.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

This concept of "always" starting with the anupallavi seems to hold for at least a couple of pieces - wonder how that fits within the grand scheme of things: 1) if I understand it correctly, the first gItam that's taught, starts with the anupallavi - SrI gaNanAtha sindUra varNa, and not the pallavi, laMbOdara lakumikara.....
2) Sri Tyagaraja's aThAna kRti always begins with the anupallavi - I've not heard anyone start with Ela nI daya rAdu.
I'm sure there are others where it's not the artist's choice, but convention where the anupallavi is sung first.

Always_Evolving

Post by Always_Evolving »

The structure of a composer's work is, in my view very different from a convention reg. concert format. I can't see the equivalence.

If you don't like an alapana followed by krti in a different raga it's just a matter of taste.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Convention and taste may clash at times, yes!
Both part of our listening pleasure, we realize--
How much of each is the question--feel free
But proportion is the key, a sense of balance
Which in the artiste's mind should play like
The tambUra sound, a constant gentle nudge--

Unity is the key, of well-thought of proportions--
Weaving patterns within its fine limits--soaring
In the limitless horizon like a kite too--yet
Without letting go of the thread of tradition--
Not blindly but with sensibility--this design
For sure makes a concert come alive for us :)

Vocalist

Post by Vocalist »

arasi wrote: 13 May 2017, 19:46 Not blindly but with sensibility--
Just repeating this bit for emphasis (thanks arasi). :mrgreen:

shankar vaidyanathan

Post by shankar vaidyanathan »

Thanks for pointing to this concert.
1) TMK's music is far better than his writing.
2) TMK is the best in Vilamba kala singer among present day Carnatic vocalists. It is not put upon. BTW, Vilamba kala singing needs அசுர சாதகம்! (Asura Sadhakam!)
3) Mangling/substituting words does not befit a Vidwan of TMK's stature.
4) Starting with Anupallavi may be simply a vocalist's technique to get to the Raga quickly...especially after a Thani. Also, பாடாந்தரம் (schooling/tradition) aside, it may be far easier to remember Anupallavi notations than Pallavi for some compositions. My Guru used to say that there was nothing wrong with that as Anupallavi is a connecting bridge...as long as you circle back to the Pallavi and honor the composer's intent in choosing that melody or Sahityam as the opening (Mukada or "Face.")

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

Shankar vaidyanathan,
Excellent articulation,
sir I agree with you 100%.

The key factors are:
A. respecting the composer's sentiment and composition lyrics
B. Creativity and innovation in presentation, which includes vilamba, anupallavi first, niraval, raga alapana, swara, even some kind of musical gymnastics, all of which should be adornments to the sacred murti of the song and the composer's sentiment.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

shankar vaidyanathan wrote: 16 May 2017, 04:38 1) TMK's music is far better than his writing.
His writing and flow of logic is actually very good. But with wrong lens and some flawed ideologies. Other counter ideologies have their flaws but have never risen to the level of totalitarianism that some of his has.
shankar vaidyanathan wrote: 16 May 2017, 04:38 2) TMK is the best in Vilamba kala singer among present day Carnatic vocalists. It is not put upon. BTW, Vilamba kala singing needs அசுர சாதகம்! (Asura Sadhakam!)
No arguments with that. He is a powerful bull no doubt in producing sound. I still think the perfection in perception of time intervals is not there for his generation having come after 3 giants MDR, KVN and Ramnad, even though each of him and co-artistes picked up a bANi outside of the three. Some characteristics of great musicians must be imbibed and carried forward.
shankar vaidyanathan wrote: 16 May 2017, 04:38 3) Mangling/substituting words does not befit a Vidwan of TMK's stature.
I would make this a requirement for an upcoming musician these days , but not somebody who has his mental capacity distributed in so many other areas. As to whether a musician should dissipate his capacity like that or not is a different debate. If sAhitya was a priority for him, he would spend time more on actually knowing the sAhitya. But already he has declared that the text , content and their implications are interfering with dissemination of aesthetics for people who will not agree with and respect the ideas in there!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Well, rAga bhAva alone can't make it in sAhitya bhAvA-laden CM.

TyAgarAjA's rAga bhAva-rich music has the support of emotive words to climb on and to spread its imagination like an eager climber. To him, they were inseparable. That is, when we try looking at it from yet another point of view.

Actually, his emotions blossomed into words, and he had his rich music to ornament them with, so finely, spontaneously. Other great composers too had the same kind of experience, one can guess...

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

shankar vaidyanathan wrote: 16 May 2017, 04:38
1) TMK's music is far better than his writing.
That may be true for some definiton of better :) But I see the same type of "excesses" in both.
2) TMK is the best in Vilamba kala singer among present day Carnatic vocalists.
Definitely among the best. Also the most :)

yeshprabhu

Post by yeshprabhu »

rshankar wrote: 13 May 2017, 18:04 This concept of "always" starting with the anupallavi seems to hold for at least a couple of pieces - wonder how that fits within the grand scheme of things:
Sri Tyagaraja's aThAna kRti always begins with the anupallavi - I've not heard anyone start with Ela nI daya rAdu.
I'm sure there are others where it's not the artist's choice, but convention where the anupallavi is sung first.

When my Sangeetha acharya, Sri T N Bala, taught me Sri Thyagaraja's Atana raga krithi, he started with Ela nee daya raadu, not with Bala kanakamaya. At a concert he gave, he also started with the pallavi. He said he learnt that krithi and Thyagaraja's Begada raga krithi, Nadopasana, from a senior disciple of Sri Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar (Bala was a disciple of Sri MMI, but he had learnt from three or four other teachers also). He once criticized a vocalist for singing Ela nee daya starting with the anupallavi, and used to get very irritated if musicians either changed the words he used in his compositions, or changed the order of the lyrics. He was a composer, not just a vocalist, so it was understandable why he got upset. When I was a boy, six or seven years old, we had a neighbor, in Mangalore, who sang every morning, mostly Sri Purandara Dasa and Trimurthy krithis, for about an hour. Her name was Sarojamma. She had grand style, and had learnt from a great vidwan, I was told. She always started with Ela nee daya, not Bala kanakamaya. I used to sit in our veranda and listen to her. She had a very sweet voice. She had a small number of students too.
Yesh Prabhu, Bushkill, Pennsylvania

yeshprabhu

Post by yeshprabhu »

bhakthim dehi wrote: 08 May 2017, 16:08 In the krithi Soundarrajam, he forgets a line in charanam. Ambudhi garva nigraham is the line to be sung after amareshaadhi sannutham. He forgets that and sings something which does not even makes sense.
After reading your comment, and a comment on YouTube also, I decided to get to the bottom of the controversy: Did TMK forget a line, and did he "sing something which does not even make sense"? I referred to Sri T K Govinda Rao's book on Shree Deekshitar's compositions. Here are the two pertinent lines in the charanam: "Ambujaasanaadi nutam Amareshaadi sannutam, Ambudhigarva nigraham anrtajadadukhaapaham". After singing Amareshaadi sannutam, Ambudhigarva nigraham(the first half of the line) are the words to be sung. He forgot that half line, and proceeded to sing the second half of the line, anrtajadadukhaapaham. He did not sing "something which does not even make sense" : What he sang was what Deekshitar himself wrote, and it made sense. He forgot only two words. But he became aware of the mistake, and proceeded to correct it by singing the two lines again, in proper order. This can happen to any one. I have seen two Sangeetha Kalanidhis forgetting words, and several "A Top" grade vocalists forgetting words and lines also. He also mispronounced the word "Amareshaadi" as "Apareshaadi". That's a minor mistake. Vocalists who do not know Sanskrit tend to mispronounce a few Sanskrit words, which is understandable. After all, non-Tamilians mispronounce some Tamil words, when they sing Krithis composed in Tamil. I still think this concert is one of the very best concert I have heard in the last ten years. Rich in bhaava and melody.
Yesh Prabhu, Bushkill, Pennsylvania

Rakesh Chari

Post by Rakesh Chari »

Thanks to shri hnbhagvan for that link...soothing. peaceful start to the weekend.

I think TMK's problem is the way he projects himself that though people like his music there is that seething intensity to punch holes in what he sings. I myself have wondered many a times, that If I dont like a singer, I get to see many mistakes and I shut out all the good aspects. HUman nature, maybe.

I wish krishna concentrates more on music and limits/checks his maveric attitude, lest, his brilliance goes the way Shri Sachi articulated.

bhakthim dehi

Post by bhakthim dehi »

What he sang was what Deekshitar himself wrote, and it made sense.
I will not be surprised if I am going to get a response from you "TMK can even say "thyagarajam bhajeham" in the krithi "soundararajam ashrayae" as the sahithyakartha of both the krithis is Deekshithar".
and proceeded to correct it by singing the two lines again, in proper order. This can happen to any one.
You are correct. It can happen to anyone.
I never raised an issue like this before. I am particular in this case, as
1. he refereed to his notes just before this mispronunciation.
2. he comments on our composer (on the selection of ragas and the content of their composition).

When, he himself is not perfect, how can he even be eligible to say about them. He states Thyagaraja was the one who is instrumental in composing krithis in scalar ragas; ironically he tunes a composition of Perumal Murugan in Nalinakanthi!! This is just an example for me to raise these kind of issues.

Unless, we read Puranas, Itihasa and Upanishad , we cannot understand the true meaning of their compositions. When we lack the basic knowledge, we end up in saying comments as TMK has said about Thyagaraja.

Yeshprabhu, I presume you are a devotee of Mahaperiyavaa. When you can quote Mahaperiyavaa and reject majority of the present day renditions, what made you to be blind towards his other opinions on our music?

Didn't Mahaperiyavaa say sahithya is equally important?
Didn't Mahaperiyavaa say pronunciation is important in rendering the krithis? Is it not the duty of a musician, to learn or atleast to pronounce a word properly.
Didnt Mahaperiyavaa say it is not possible for mortals like us to understand the thoughts, acts and deeds of a Brahmagnani?

I feel you are so engrossed into the music of this Gandharva incarnate that you overlooked the precious sayings of Mahaperiyavaa.
I still think this concert is one of the very best concert I have heard in the last ten years. Rich in bhaava and melody.
You add "for me" as a prefix before the quoted sentence. For me, it is annoying.
I am not tolerant like you to accept "apareshaadhi" ; perhaps I am not enlightened to appreciate the music of this Gandharva!!

vilomachapu

Post by vilomachapu »

I feel you are so engrossed into the music of this Gandharva incarnate
Excellent comment!