Neyveli Santhanagopalan at Thyagaraja Vidwath Samajam

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
shriram.krishnan72

Neyveli Santhanagopalan at Thyagaraja Vidwath Samajam

Post by shriram.krishnan72 »

Accompanying Artists
Pakala Ramadas - Violin
Tanjavur Ramadas - Mridangam
Harihara Sharma - Ganjira

It was a beautiful concert that once again showcased Santhanagopalan's soulful singing and his flowing melody that is beyond the grammar and physical limitations of his voice.

Highlights of the concert:

His sprightly Vadera Daivamu in Panthuvarali with colourful neraval and swarams.

He sang a meditative Vanaspathi. Sans the usual gimmicks and running up and down with the scale. He used the bass registers of his voice to create a beautiful effect and started the song Pariyachakama in a manner that was new to me while exploring the ragam in the lower range which added lustre to the rendering.

Mundu Venuka was presented as just a song and after a very brief flash he launched straight into the song and did great justice to this lovely Krithi in Darbar.

Thodi was the piece de resistance for the day and he sang a unique alapana that reminded me of the approach and solitude of an older day Thodi than the modern ones we hear today.

There were a couple of negatives too.

He sang Sri Janaki Manohara right after Pariyachakama. He forgot the lyrics in the middle of the Charanam and there was an uncomfortable pause for many avarthanams until he could open up his students phone and search for the lyrics online before continuing. He sang a few short swarams. After finishing the song he announced the ragam as Jayamanohari until he was corrected by another artiste on stage that it was in fact Ishamanohari.

His voice was not cooperative to the fullest extent so maybe he had to make adjustments to suit his voice on that day.

Pakala Ramadas was a good match for Santhanagopalan's music and drew a lot of appreciation from the singer. His alapanais were measured and his responses were apt.

Tanjavur Ramadas gave good support and was great in certain sections especially. He had a charm to his playing and the sound of his mridangam was majestic like we hear in old cassette recordings.

Harihara Sharma also drew appreciation from Santhanagopalan and was a faithful follower to the mridangam and gelled well with the concert and added value.

Overall it was a satisfying concert to listen to.

This concert was conducted as part of a series held at Thyagaraja Vidwath Samajam. Apart from Sanjay who had a full house even other old timers like TVS drew a good audience. It was however sad to see a mere 15 people in the audience for this concert. Given that there were no other concerts in chennai on that day I thought there would be a better crowd. Especially for such a rich concert. Maybe there is bias against this venue given the lack of parking space and being non AC? The atmosphere is certainly conducive to music and has a lovely divine vibration. Hopefully this picks up again as an important concert venue in the heart of Mylapore.

New to this group for posting reviews though I have been reading here for a couple of years now. Hope to have a good time discussing music and everything else with all of you.

- SK72

Vocalist

Re: Neyveli Santhanagopalan at Thyagaraja Vidwath Samajam

Post by Vocalist »

Thank you for the review, and a warm welcome! I look forward to more from you. In the meantime, please feel free to introduce yourself in the new members thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1119).

arasi

Post by arasi »

SK72,
A warm welcome and thanks for a very well-written review. I second Vocalist. Please bring us more.

I have heard NSG sing the durbAr kriti and have loved listening to him. vADErA, an old favorite. Was the neraval at dhAtru vinutuDaina tyAgarAju? His sowkyam and skills are of a special kind.

Does the samAjam hold concert throughout the year? December too? My miss. May be I should at least make a visit to pray at the shrine.

An NSG concert is an experience in itself, never mind the lapses. But for a very few concerts, I have heard him only after he lost his voice as it were. It has made little difference to me. His concerts have many ingredients which please me no end. A very popular musician as he is today, thanks to TV and the Cleveland ArAdhanA, why aren't more folks attending his concerts?

His music is vibrant in its own way. Has such depth, and has inspired his daughter to be an artiste who is well worth listening to...
Last edited by arasi on 15 May 2017, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

arasi wrote: 15 May 2017, 19:31 why aren't more folks attending his concerts?
arasi wrote: 15 May 2017, 19:31 A very popular musician as he is today, thanks to TV and the Cleveland ArAdhanA,
You've answered your own question. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

arasi wrote: 15 May 2017, 19:31 An NSG concert is an experience in itself, never mind the lapses. But for a very few concerts, I have heard him only after he lost his voice as it were.
He lost his voice from about mid-90's, great vidwath and presentation when it comes to lectures and lec-dem's but concert wise not good enough consistently. At one point, early / mid 90's[?] UKS stopped the old TVS/MSG/UKS combo and started playing for Neyveli, and a bunch of us used to go just to listen to UKS.And it was *always* the same Panthuvarali. And UKS *always* picked, Dasarathi - Thodi. I think I've got my old song list in which a bunch of friends would "predict" the concert list and I've listed the actual songs sung.

The only time I've heard him live that was a revelation was when he sung Akshayalingavibho with VVS and UKS at the Music Academy Mini Hall for Mudra - One Raga One Krithi. 1995? 1996?

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sigh...
Each one to his/her taste...

pperumal

Post by pperumal »

A thorough scholar and one of the few complete musicians we have with amidst us today.
His limitations aside, when he is in a zone - it can be an ethereal experience.

- PP.

shriram.krishnan72

Post by shriram.krishnan72 »

Such generous and warm welcomes. Thank you all so much

@vocalist Will add my two cents in the new members forum.

@arasi Completely agree with your comments on Santhanagopalans music. The samajam has concerts every month apart from these occasional series. The temple is definitely worth the visit.

@maheshs Though I agree with your observations I still find his music rich every time even if it is repeated. TVS does the same and I still enjoy his concerts immensely. To maybe say he is popular only because of television and Cleveland aradhana would be unfair. It does add to an already existing level of stardom though. Just MHO

@pperumal Amen.

- SK72