SIFA CA

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
thanjavooran

SIFA CA

Post by thanjavooran »

South India Fine arts
Smt. Nityasree Mahadevan - Vocal
Shri. Parur M. A. Krishnaswamy - Violin
Shri. Cherthala Ananthakrishnan - Mridangam
Shri. Alathur Rajaganesh - Kanjira
Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 4:00 p.m.

Venue: CET - Soto Theater
701 Vine St., San Jose, CA 95110

The following few lines I am giving below as narrated by my grand daughter who attended the concert.
Hamsadhwani Varnam
Poorvikalyani R kriti could not catch
Dhanyasi
Madhyamavathi R main?

Could not sit for the complete concert, walked out after an hour.
One thing the usual grand uncle on mirudhangam was missing. Some unheard songs were in the list. Some one was passing comment [over heard ] ' As it was an international trip grand uncle was not there'
Any of our formites who attended may further elaborate.

Thanjavooran
22 05 2017

arasi

Re: SIFA CA

Post by arasi »

Thanjavooran,
The grand (great) uncle she refers to is Nityashree's dad Sivakumar.

Good to know grand daughter attends concerts. Perhaps she can ask around for the rest of the song list.

melam72

Post by melam72 »

arasi wrote: 22 May 2017, 19:24 The grand (great) uncle she refers to is Nityashree's dad Sivakumar.
Won't it refer to J Vaidyanathan, who is Nithyashree's uncle (father's cousin)? Sivakumar seldom plays these days, and JV played as recently as last weekend for Salem Gayathri...

arasi

Post by arasi »

True, that relationship points to JV. Yet, has he played for her in the recent years? I don't recollect seeing his name in her accompanying artistes' lists. You are in Singapore and Chennai. Perhaps he does play in a few of her concerts and you know about it...

mELathukku teriyAda tALamA?

melam72

Post by melam72 »

Arasi Maami,

I seem to have been mistaken. I assumed that since J Vaidyanathan played for all and sundry, his niece Nithyashree was not spared too. I guess that when she terrorises the audience, she prefers to do so without 'avuncular support' ;)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Jeez :( Leave the family alone :(

This MAmi thing crops up when you remember that I compose songs, I guess. Makes me recall a thread where I read: there are mamis in every street who call themselves composers!'

melam72

Post by melam72 »

arasi wrote: 25 May 2017, 09:10 This MAmi thing crops up when you remember that I compose songs, I guess. Makes me recall a thread where I read: there are mamis in every street who call themselves composers!'
Forget every street, every household has that mami who composes songs on a regular basis- that leads to the mama-ian expression 'aathula maami enakku kachcheri vachirukka!'