Amritha Murali at Research Triangle Park (RTP), NC on 19th May 2017

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
hamirkalyani123

Amritha Murali at Research Triangle Park (RTP), NC on 19th May 2017

Post by hamirkalyani123 »

Violin: RK Shriram kumar
Mridangam: Arun Prakash

Morrisville, NC

List of Songs:
- Virutham in Sankarabharanam on Ganesha
- Srivaralakshmi, Sri, rUpakam, (S), MD
- Nenendu vedakudura, karanAtaka behAg, Adi, T
- Devadeva, poorvI kalyAni, Adi, ST, (R, S@ pAvanAnupama)
- Janani ninnuvina, rItigOula, SS, (R, S@ tAmasamu sEyagane brOvumu)
- Tamil composition in Yadukula kambhoji (couldn't decipher composition and composer)
- vara nArada, vijayasrI, Adi, T
- sarOjadaLa nEtri, sankarAbharaNam, Adi, SS (R, N&S@ sAma gAna vinOdhini, Tani)
- srI guruguhAsya dAsoham, poorvI, Adi, MD

I left right when Sri guruguhAsya started, and I am told she did a RTP (in RTP area:-) in keeravANI. Not sure of the pallavi, but in rAgamAlika (kApi, dwijAvanthi, behAg and dEsh) followed by Thirumangai azhwAr pasurams and a purandaradAsa composition. If any one in this group attended, please fill in the rest of the details.

Although initially there were some hiccups or noisy audio levels, eventually things settled down reasonably well during or a little after sri varalakshmi piece, perhaps Srivaralakshmi took care of it:-)

Coming to the concert, Amritha has a good range of voice reaching all the octaves effortlessly, and what makes her unique is that she is also a good violinist having accompanied her guru Smt. T. Rukmini several times and that definitely works to her advantage as a vocalist as well. I have heard live in the december music season last year and she has amazing repertoire of songs apart from possessing clear diction in her renderings. And, perhaps for this concert coming freshly from a mother's day weekend, she chose popular krithis on Goddess Mother such as janani, saroja dala netri and Sri varalakshmi. Probably she wanted to make this as a mother's day gift to all the mothers in this area. She is quite at ease be it the fast paced ones such as the vara nArada or the soothing slow paced one as in the yadukula kambhoji song. The alapanas especially the one in reetigoula and poorvi kalyani were a treat to listen with a variety of beautiful catchy sangathis. RKS is a genius when it comes to accompanying on violin especially for krithis for he is quite rich as well in his songs repertoire. There were some squeaky sounds especially in poorvi kalyani alapana, for I don't know if the audio hiccups I mentioned before have disturbed his flow, or if he is using brand new strings, could not make it out really. Otherwise, RKS was just phoenomenal in his accompaniment support to Amritha. Arun prakash's tani was short, but sweet. At times, you can't tell whether he is really playing at all or not :-), with those deft touches on mridangam. He definitely brings in a different class and touch to mridangam playing.

Although I missed out on RTP (in RTP), an enjoyable evening by Amritha Murali and Party with essentially song list that demonstrates more or less paying her tribute to the trinity.

Last but not the least, it is indeed pleasing to see reasonably good crowd showing up even though another event was taking place at the same time, and also heartening to see tiny little younger ones putting thalam especially during Tani, and I am sure Arun Prakash would have been very pleased with it as well.

Thanks to SIFAA for bringing such a versatile young artist along with team of accomplished accompaniments to the area.

Jigyaasa

Re: Amritha Murali at Research Triangle Park (RTP), NC on 19th May 2017

Post by Jigyaasa »

hamirkalyani123 wrote: 23 May 2017, 20:11 - Tamil composition in Yadukula kambhoji (couldn't decipher composition and composer)
It could be this one: https://youtu.be/f9MPkVAPzSc?t=3849. It starts as aDuttAnai; Amritha announces in the video that this is part of the Kanchipuram thEvAram

melam72

Post by melam72 »

hamirkalyani123 wrote: 23 May 2017, 20:11 Mridangam: Arun Prakash
You mean mrdu-angam.

It is really unfair how they call both Srimushnam Raja Rao and Arun Prakash 'mridangists'.

There needs to be a distinction.

Arunprakash plays the 'mrdu-angam'..... and

Raja Rao plays the mridanggggam :lol: :lol: :lol:

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

What beautiful list, a superb team, and such a bad miss for me. Was stuck at work until 10 pm. So much regret.

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

melam72 wrote: 24 May 2017, 19:31 Arunprakash plays the 'mrdu-angam'..... and

Raja Rao plays the mridanggggam
Such superficial comparisons bring out the shallowness in the way we look at things. Srimushnam Raja Rao had years of exuberant accompaniment of seniors of Golden era with no possibility being called loud - and his tendency to be loud later on is what I call some frustration - where skilled Mridangists did not have matching vocal performers for a while. Loudness is not a new problem, even CSM was called Mirugabhoopathy by a top artiste of Golden era. Sometimes a bit of infantile tendency (kuzhandaitanam) I would call it ( periyarkallukum adu irukkum - when it comes to art!)

Arunprakash's softness is one thing - but conceptualization and choice of play is something else. On the softness part - there are extreme modulations to the point of being equivalent to crooning in voice - a complete critique was done in a Lec Dem thread review in the Concert Review forum - you can search and read it. His choice of play and conceptualization many times is not a continuation of our tradition - which I find intact in diverse set of styles and schools. He still has some phrases included to show a semblance of tradition - but the overall outcome does not give that feel!

hamirkalyani123

Post by hamirkalyani123 »

that sotng in Yadukula Kamboji is Kaalai Thooki Nindraadum Deivam, composed by Marimutha Pillai per Smt. Deekshita Venkataraman who lives in this area and who is a disciple of Smt. Raji Goapalkrishnan.